• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Sizzle Season 2024 announced)

What would you do at the world's end?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It's most likely not the final season as they would have said as much if it was. The fact that they specified that Bonerattle was the final Salmon Run map but haven't done that for Lemuria or Decavitator and Wellstring is highly suspicious. But who knows, it's a weird season rollout with the seemingly unannounced changes to Scorch and Eeltail in addition to the explicitly announced changes to Hammerhead and Barnacle. We'll get a better sense of what's going on soon enough

Here's my take:

I think catalogs are done. Everything in the game files points to there being 8 seasons, with the catalogs, silver/gold capsules etc. looping from season 1 after that. However, I don't think content additions are entirely over. I still think we'll get a little more content at some point independent from seasons (like new weapons/kits, splatfests, maybe even gear), but entire new seasons will be no more.

It's most likely not the final season as they would have said as much if it was. The fact that they specified that Bonerattle was the final Salmon Run map but haven't done that for Lemuria or Decavitator and Wellstring is highly suspicious. But who knows, it's a weird season rollout with the seemingly unannounced changes to Scorch and Eeltail in addition to the explicitly announced changes to Hammerhead and Barnacle. We'll get a better sense of what's going on soon enough
Yeah, I think the June direct might shine some light on what will be happening.

All that plus datamines from the new patch might be insightful too.

Forgive me for expecting more kits, more permanent multiplayer modes and a battle pass that isn't 50+% old content and things you can buy in stores 🤨 This is the 3rd game in the series, a well selling series mind you. It feels a little underwhelming, even if Final Fest is fun (which I'm sure it will).

But we shall see. It could be something else around the corner.

Forgive me for expecting more kits, more permanent multiplayer modes and a battle pass that isn't 50% old content and things you can buy in stores 🤨 This is the 3rd game in the series, a well selling series mind you. It feels a little underwhelming, even if Final Fest is fun (which I'm sure it will).
Yeah, a lack of a new battle mode is definitely felt, and Tricolor and Challenges both feel held back from what they could be (Tricolor with reusing old map layouts and Challenges with the limited time). It also feels odd to test run stuff like changes to Rainmaker that were generally well-received but then not implement those whatsoever (or any of the things that premiered in challenges).

But on the other hand, there's also a ton of areas where the game does exceed the previous ones. It's got a ton more battle music, they're doing more stage reworks (though that's also bc a lot of the stages are bad lol), and also stuff like banners and locker items which are wholly new to the game.

I also don't think the "50% old stuff" is necessarily an accurate sentiment - while the gear in the second half consists of reruns, it takes up comparatively less space due to how it was bundled, some of the gear in the original catalogs was also returning gear (i.e. Splat1 outfits in the very first catalog), and stuff like emotes, locker decorations, etc. are still new content in the second half. So it's probably more like 25% old stuff I'd assume? I think rather than thinking about the ratio of old stuff it's more sensible to look at how much new gear there actually is, which probably has gone down a good bit still.

Forgive me for expecting more kits, more permanent multiplayer modes and a battle pass that isn't 50+% old content and things you can buy in stores 🤨 This is the 3rd game in the series, a well selling series mind you. It feels a little underwhelming, even if Final Fest is fun (which I'm sure it will).

You can't please everyone; people are simultaneously complaining that the free battle pass is too onerous to complete and that it doesn't have enough unique stuff locked to it.

We have more kits than the other games and third kits will come, this will likely be the final major season but updates and new contents are not over. More permanent battle mode is not an easy design decision to make, the game has already 5 main lobby system (with a possibile list integration for private matches like SendoQ), usually divided between Japan and the rest of the world, adding a sixth permanent to the mix can increase the waiting time that on some occasions, can be long because there are not enough player to count. Event matches can be improved (and they hear our feedback) but I kinda understand the reason behind the limited day schedule.
On the catalogue you get things that you can't find in stores... you need to unlock them before so they can show up

Agree to disagree, I think the game should've done more over a 2 year span (and had better launch maps so they didn't need to re-do them constantly but that's an old and done complaint)

At the very least... we have Watermelon Big Man 🍉

Dapple Dualies
Dapple Dualies Nouveau
  • Damage dealt to Splash Wall increased by about 10%.
Reefslider
  • Now inks along the rails as the rails extend before launch.
  • When the active terrain is moving, the rails will now move along with it.
  • Made it so that, when using a dualie Dodge Roll or splatana charged swipe’s lunge toward the Rainmaker shield, the direction of movement will be adjusted so that players do not take excessive damage from touching the Rainmaker shield.
I HAVE BECOME MORE POWERFUL.

Love all the changes to the maps, hope they're good. Zap got another (imo unnecessary) buff in the form of better RNG, so thanks game. The Screen and Reefslider changes sound pretty cool, too. And we just learned that the devs apparently hate Splash Walls.

But I can't help but scratch my head over yet another patch where Zooka goes untouched. As far as the game balance goes, Zooka's dominance is the number one thing that impacts my enjoyment of the game. I think some potential changes for Zooka could be:
  • Add some startup lag - Would help make the special less panic button-y and allow others to react to it.
  • Lower initial velocity, raise/add acceleration - Would make the special actually reasonable to deal with at close range, but the acceleration buff would allow it to still be potent at long range.
  • Decrease the size of the hitbox a tiny bit - Zooka has killed me at angles it absolutely should not be able to. Kinda unsure about this one though tbh. Not sure how much of this is my Internet/the game's online and how much of this is by design.
EDIT: While I'm thinking of it, the update maps might help mitigate Zooka being overtuned. Adding flanks might help a lot, since you'll have room to work.

Last edited:
IMG-3364.jpg

How are you gonna be the worst player with that name, like opening up yourself to judgement like that haha.

So much to be said. They would just rush in without thinking and dying. screaming “this way” the whole time like they were the most important one in the match. Any actual teamwork or contribution to the goal seemed accidental. So maybe a very fitting name indeed hahaha.

Also

The biggest patch ever and like every weapon gets buffed except jet squeechy again 🥲 extremely excited for the map adjustments tho! What a haul, it’s Christmas!

Last edited:
They keep buffing things hoping for them to contend with/counter top tiers, and it always causes more problems than solutions

I promise you Splatoon devs, Big Bubbler will never work as a Trizooka counter, and you also do Not want Big Bubbler to be strong.

No further accessibility changes to Splatterscreeen, but a #handhealth change to Squeezer. There is yet hope.

Going through the map changes is gonna keep me (and Splatoon Youtubists) busier than releasing a bunch of third kits would have.

Decrease the size of the hitbox a tiny bit - Zooka has killed me at angles it absolutely should not be able to. Kinda unsure about this one though tbh. Not sure how much of this is my Internet/the game's online and how much of this is by design.

The hit box for Trizooka is really really really weird. I remember a bunch of deaths I attributed to lag which in retrospect were the special working ("working") as intended.

Last edited:
I really would like to get back to this game for a bit. This patch looks pretty solid for the most part and might be a good time to dip in for a little bit.

I also find it curious that they're adding extra incentives for Splatfest multiplier battles. So even if there's no plan for a content extension, they're clearly going to keep doing 'fests for a while.

A special Triumvirate XTRAWAVE can now occur.
  • In this XTRAWAVE, three King Salmonids will attack at once.
  • The number of fish scales you can obtain will be triple the normal amount.
This would be great except tripling the normal amount is completely asinine because you have like no chance to get scales anyways. SMH.

The special changes are all clever ways to make them work the way it always felt like they should, they won't rock the boat much but they'll make them feel just that little bit better. I'd always prefer to see stuff like this (and the Wave Breaker buff last season) rather than a nerf heavy approach.

I also find it curious that they're adding extra incentives for Splatfest multiplier battles. So even if there's no plan for a content extension, they're clearly going to keep doing 'fests for a while.

Yeah. It's the one area where 2 has had way more content than 3, so that's unsurprising. There were 27 splatfests in 2 including the demo while 3 has only had 17 so far.

If they continue winding everything down at exactly the amount of 2s, we'll have about 8 to 10 more splatfests (because the teenage mutant turtles one in 3 could be counted as either 1 or 3 I guess)

Last edited:
The special changes are all clever ways to make them work the way it always felt like they should, they won't rock the boat much but they'll make them feel just that little bit better. I'd always prefer to see stuff like this (and the Wave Breaker buff last season) rather than a nerf heavy approach.
Very true. I take it back, the jet squelcher did kinda get a buff through this ink vac improvement, though usually if I’m backed into a corner while vaccing I’m just hopping around like an idiot trying to keep the dualies and wipers away anyway, usually on enemy ink. I think I would have preferred run speed up while it’s succing but I’ll try this out first before I begin my complaint tour again.

image.png
image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

And the previous (about S2 Ver. 4.3.0) was a lie btw, since there were more weapons added later in 4.6.0
image.png

Nintendo advertises the end of content updates, and yet they still haven't said anything about S3 Sizzle Season 2024 being the last one, not even for stages / weapons / etc.

Operating under the idea that even though the catalogs will rotate for the next two years, we'll still get substantial updates in terms of kits and stage renovations for at least one of those. Then we'll have repeat Splatfests until Splatoon 4 drops in Summer 2027.

Datamining finds from 8.0.0 so far:
GO3vs7pasAAHyvX

Last edited:
Nintendo advertises the end of content updates, and yet they still haven't said anything about S3 Sizzle Season 2024 being the last one, not even for stages / weapons / etc.

Splatoon advertises the ends of content updates with a splatfest. Neither Splatoon 1 or 2 did what those other games did until the splatfest was announced.

Equating the start of the final season with the final update is wrong anyway, there would be both a mid season update and presumably a final wrap-up update just like 1/2 had.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Splatoon advertises the ends of content updates with a splatfest. Neither Splatoon 1 or 2 did what those other games did until the splatfest was announced.

Equating the start of the final season with the final update is wrong anyway, there would be both a mid season update and presumably a final wrap-up update just like 1/2 had.
... What? The very post you're quoting includes two examples of Splatoon 2 announcing the end of weapon content updates, the first one being 8 months before Final Splatfest. And that was even a lie from Nintendo, since 4.6.0 added more weapons!

image.png

image.png

And they also did it just last season for Splatoon 3 with Bonerattle Arena.

Yet they have not announced that Lemuria Hub is the final new stage, nor that the new weapons are the final ones.

Last edited:
I know some of the Salmon Run maps from S2 wouldn't translate well without some tweaking, but The Lost Outpost would be so much fun with S3 mechanics that I'd love to see it back in the rotation.

Also, great changes to the maps overall, especially Um'ami Ruins and Brinewater Springs. Scorch Gorge and Eeltail Alley felt like a bummer to me, and it's a shame that Hammerhead Bridge didn't add some retreats (ramps or inkable walls), but at least it feels more varied (except for Rainmaker and Clam Blitz, which are almost the same map as before).

But overall, very happy with the end results. Somehow feels like the final fireworks before Final Fest.

Wellstring's crisscrossing reticle is wild. It's neat to see them create a weapon where a partial charge is uniquely useful, beyond the usual benefits of ink/charge time

Back
Top Bottom