• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Jackpot wins worlds!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This game is so fucking good, I wish I had more time to play it.

Matchmaking is scuffed. You can't be demoted. I'm in the negative, with a losing record spanning several days and modes and maps, and at this point would very much prefer to drop back down from A+ into A or even B but it won't let me. The debt just keeps piling on and on and on while I continue to be paired up against players with the S and S+ badges who presumably must still be in those pools because you can't be demoted.

Matchmaking is scuffed. You can't be demoted. I'm in the negative, with a losing record spanning several days and modes and maps, and at this point would very much prefer to drop back down from A+ into A or even B but it won't let me. The debt just keeps piling on and on and on while I continue to be paired up against players with the S and S+ badges who presumably must still be in those pools because you can't be demoted.
You can't rank down, but matchmaking is 100% hidden power based it seems like. If you're on a huge losing streak and still getting S+ players, yeah it's hella scuffed.

You can't rank down, but matchmaking is 100% hidden power based it seems like. If you're on a huge losing streak and still getting S+ players, yeah it's hella scuffed.

I'm averaging 1 win to 3 losses since moving to A+ more than fifty battles ago. But there are various oddities I can't suss out. Like the high percentage of instant blowouts my teams suffer versus how rarely we pull off those first minute knockouts. Or how I can work my ass off as a backliner to have a 10:1 kill to death ratio yet lose because everyone else goes 2-7 but then I switch to a slayer weapon and I'm the one who goes 2-7 and we win. Or how what used to be my strong modes are now my worst. And by now I'm getting in my head about which in effect is about the same as tilting in a prolonged though pleasantly mild-mannered way.

Alright, it's been a week, beat single player and got to S+, my thoughts so far:

Single Player was fine overall, more or less Octo Expansion again, though I didn't find the missions this time as memorable, I did like the more creative missions like jumping over the wave breakers, using the curling bombs to avoid the ink, or speedrunning the level in squid form, but most missions were sorta just there for me.

I do like how the Sunken Scrolls are hidden in the map now instead of levels, I remember having that mentality with 1 and 2 where I would cautiously comb levels to find that one hidden crevice or whatever to find it, and now I can just focus on the mission itself, that and that design would've clashed with how missions were setup in Octo Expansion. Finding those select hidden items dug in the ground was somewhat annoying even with Little Buddy's help, but nothing super irritating.

I felt there were fewer bosses (yea like 2 fewer compared to 1 and 2) but they felt more memorable, partially due to fighting named characters instead of generic giant octopus mook; I clapped when I saw Big Man's fight and the final boss was Bayonetta levels of insane and amazing.

The extra level after you beat the story mode didn't feel as special as the fight with Agent 3 in Octo Expansion, but it was a fine enough challenge.

-I do like the small quality of life additions from 2, like the fact that you don't have to worry about scrubbing slots anymore when a gear is maxed out if you want to get more chunks; I've had plenty of instances where I just play in long sessions and forget to do so, thus decreasing the potential amount of useful chunks I could be getting. The fact you can change the main ability of any gear (albeit at a high cost) is nice too, means I can use my favorite clothes in terms of aesthetic with much less reservation.

-While annoying at times, the fact money actually feels more valuable in this game is nice, with the addition of both the capsule machine and Harmony's store. Even with the hefty cost of constantly scrubbing slots in Splatoon 2, I felt I always had a relatively comfortable cushion of money in that game after I bought all the weapons and gear I cared for, and it didn't take too long to make all that money back from ranked matches, so it's cool they made the money an actual mechanic to think more about.

-Salmon Run is more the less the same to me, just with new enemies. It's fine, just not my personal go-to mode, King Salmonid sucks tho.

-Overall quality of the online has been... eh... Like I know Splatoon 2 didn't exactly have the best quality either, but man the amount of communication errors have been pretty ridiculous pre-patch. I can't how many matches I've lost in a series due to comm errors, it's straight up annoying that I was getting penalized for nothing basically. It hasn't been as rampant now, but I still get them occasionally enough that it's annoying. I guess I shouldn't have expected an exponential improvement from 2's online but eh. Fighting weapons like the Bloblobbler is still annoying, especially when hit registration feels off.

-Tower Control and Rainmaker feel the same more or less; I still like Tower Control a lot and I don't mind Rainmaker. I do like that in Clam Blitz you only need 8 clams instead of 10 now, it's a small enough change that doesn't make the mode as annoying now, and I still appreciate that the mode rewards aggressive play, it's just that coordinating with randoms is hard. Splat Zones mannnn, I liked it in Splatoon 2, but something about it in this game feels off. idk like the threshold feels REALLY strict compared to 2, and I know the extra time added when the opponent gets the zone from you was also a thing in 2, but something about it in this game feels really obnoxious, like it costs me games just cause we had a good offense at the beginning, they get it back, we reclaim it, and we have good offense/defense for most of the game but then still lose. Guess that's par for the course with Splatoon I guess.

anyways I like this game, I'm just bad at it

Wait can you really not rank down? What happens if you bet all your points then lose?

Quoted by: LiC
Wait can you really not rank down? What happens if you bet all your points then lose?
You can lose rank points (by spending them in Series or just losing in Open), but it just puts you further away from your next rank up, and doesn't lower you to a previous rank. The one exception is at the seasonal reset, when everybody's rank is reduced.

And thank goodness, watching the bar shatter when you deranked in Splatoon 2 was traumatic. Fully MMR-based matchmaking instead of rank-based is much better and removes the need for deranking.

You can lose rank points (by spending them in Series or just losing in Open), but it just puts you further away from your next rank up, and doesn't lower you to a previous rank. The one exception is at the seasonal reset, when everybody's rank is reduced.

And thank goodness, watching the bar shatter when you deranked in Splatoon 2 was traumatic. Fully MMR-based matchmaking instead of rank-based is much better and removes the need for deranking.
I see. I'm not sure that's a change for the better. Ranks seem kind of pointless if everyone ranks up to the same level. I don't know what MMR-based matchmaking means but I do hope it puts me against people at my skill level. Ranks seemed like an easy way to do that.

BANG BANG BING
BANG BING

BANG BING BING
BING BING BING
BING BING

BANG BANG BING
BANG BING

BINGBINGBINGBINGBING BING BING
BINGBING BING BING BANG

So anyways the music in Splatoon 3 is really good.

Tried ranked modes today and had a massive streak of losses due to players getting disconnected from my teams.

Fix your shit, Nintendo.

I keep saying to myself "let's play one round before bed," and then 4 hours later I suddenly realize I'm going to only get 2 hours of sleep. Splatoon is so addictive.

Spoiler: Single Player Thoughts
Yep I feel exactly the same, SP mode is good but after playing Octo Expansion this year for the first time the SP from 3 feels kind of lacking. It has some really bizzare difficulty spikes, nothing as hard as most levels in Octo but still strange when most of the levels are pretty easy.

I also do wonder what they will do for the SP DLC for 3, another Octo Expansion will be disappointing after 3's base SP, I think they'll try to do another Bowser's Fury and integrate open world elements to it, or another big twist, because as Splatoon's 3 gameplay is not that different from 2's is getting hard to create new levels that feel fresh.

I'm about to start
After Alterna, wish me luck.

Edit: Ehhhhhhhh long platforming final stages with no checkpoints. Hate it in Mario, hate it here. Half of it isn't even fun. Would take Agent 3 by far since it's thrilling

Last edited:
I told myself I wasn’t really going to pick up Splatoon 3 since I enjoyed Splatoon 2 but I was always bad at it. I was sick last week and bought it on a whim and I’m glad I did. I’m having a lot of fun with it and remembered why I like Splatoon so much. Finished the single player campaign and started playing online and doing better than I thought I would.

I'm about to start
After Alterna, wish me luck.

Edit: Ehhhhhhhh long platforming final stages with no checkpoints. Hate it in Mario, hate it here. Half of it isn't even fun. Would take Agent 3 by far since it's thrilling
There are checkpoints but the first section is very long

Inkbrush on low tide is some of the most fun you can have in Salmon Run. Just zooming around the shoreline, weaving in between the big fries, collecting eggs no one else could reach and tossing them back to the basket where the home crew is holding down the fort.

I wish you all experience it at least once, with luck this rotation is the one.

So, Cohozuna on the higher levels are impossible, right? Or do I just get not-the-best teammates for most of it?
The amount of health and stage presence Zuna has, + the HUGE amount of Bosses, usually at least 3 Flyfish cuz of course, it feels like no matter what, you will either be overrun and die, or run out of time since you get so little time to kill it
It is very fun, but damn is it brutal

So, Cohozuna on the higher levels are impossible, right? Or do I just get not-the-best teammates for most of it?
The amount of health and stage presence Zuna has, + the HUGE amount of Bosses, usually at least 3 Flyfish cuz of course, it feels like no matter what, you will either be overrun and die, or run out of time since you get so little time to kill it
It is very fun, but damn is it brutal

Not sure what counts as higher levels. Biggest Cohozuna I've beaten was just an hour ago at hazard level 115%. It was surprisingly comfortable, actually, so maybe we had room for up to hazard level 118% or, dare I say, 121%?

But that was when I happened to luck into a well-oiled group. And the weapons this rotation are GOOOOD. Sloshing Machine is a dream with long distance revival, wave-clearing splash damage and with enough range to take out fish sticks from ground level. Inkbrush I've already sung the praises of. The .52 Gal is rock solid. Only sorta weak link is the Squiffer and even that has upsides to compensate for where it lacks compared to real sniping tool.

Not sure what counts as higher levels. Highest Cohozuna I've beaten was just an hour ago at hazard level 115%. On high tide, too. It was surprisingly comfortable, actually, so maybe we had room for up to hazard level 118% or, dare I say, 121%?

But that was when I happened to luck into a well-oiled group. And the weapons this rotation are GOOOOD. Sloshing Machine is a dream with long distance revival, wave-clearing splash damage and with enough range to take out fish sticks from ground level. Inkbrush I've already sung the praises of. The .52 Gal is rock solid. Only sorta weak point is the Squiffer.
I probably just have bad luck with my team, I have not kept SUPER track on what % I am at, but it is high and damn there are like, a constant barrage of bosses covering the field + Big Chungus himself, haha
I have beaten Zuna a few times but not at this level, my entire team just gets squished.
The loadout feels nice tho, yeah.

I've saved all three of my gold Sheldon licenses so if they add a decent Squiffer kit I can get it day one

I probably just have bad luck with my team, I have not kept SUPER track on what % I am at, but it is high and damn there are like, a constant barrage of bosses covering the field + Big Chungus himself, haha
I have beaten Zuna a few times but not at this level, my entire team just gets squished.
The loadout feels nice tho, yeah.

You can check the hazard levels of your fifty most recent shift at the terminal next to the weapon crate in the Grizzco testing range or by hitting R once in the main Salmon Run menu.

Before today the only Big Chungus I managed to beat was my very first one at the absolute lowest of paygrades. I really mostly blame this weapon set being so much better than what we've had to make do with the last few rotations.

You can check the hazard levels of your fifty most recent shift at the terminal next to the weapon crate in the Grizzco testing range or by hitting R once in the main Salmon Run menu.

Before today the only Big Chungus I managed to beat was my very first one at the absolute lowest of paygrades. I really mostly blame this weapon set being so much better than what we've had to make do with the last few rotations.
Thank you, I played Splatoon 2 for over 1000 hours but I struggle to find all the menus and info in this one everywhere, haha. I will check.
And yeah, I beat 2 Chunguses at the lower paygrades. Him himself is not too bad, but getting overwhelmed by Flyfish missiles, Stingers, etc etc, happens SO fast. You really need a great team to take him down.
I could finally buy the Green Slopsuit at least, so, progressss

I've never played Splatoon before the testfire so I bought and its been super fun doing the single player stuff. The visual pop on the oled is a plus, sound design is great, the POP noise feels so satisfying lol. I just need to get the dualies and I am golden

Today has been absolute trash

Communication errors and shit always happening specifically in the matches my team was winning

It feels like it will take me ages to even get out of c-

Finally hit S+!

fWjpkUo.jpg

Playing on Splat Zones was the right move. Yesterday the rotation changed from Rainmaker to Clam Blitz right when I had a rank up battle, and that was a disaster lol. I was expecting the Splattershot to be my favorite weapon because its kit is so similar to the Splatoon 1 Tentatek, but the Tri-Slosher has by far been my most used weapon. I sometimes feel like I'm playing without a sub-weapon, but I still love the main weapon and I've been more consistent with the Inkjet in this game than I was in 2.

Quick question, the splattershot doesn't grant dualie like dodging right? Because the last match I played featured someone with the splattershot repeatedly doing sidestep dodging to get behind everyone and and rack up a huge kill streak. Even at distances that stretch the ability that even if it was possible, it would be real.

Dude Salmon run is so terrifyingly difficult now. I spent 1 hour trying to win and managed to squeeze one out, almost beat Cohozuna too, but it wasn't meant to be.

Difficulty level is currently at 165%, where are y'all at?

I really want a colored suit :[

I've saved all three of my gold Sheldon licenses so if they add a decent Squiffer kit I can get it day one

I figured by the time the new weapons come out I'll already be high level enough to access anything instantly, but if a Jet Squelcher with a decent kit releases and I'm even one level away from unlocking it, I'll rue the day I thought the Squeezer was worth a gold license.

Quick question, the splattershot doesn't grant dualie like dodging right? Because the last match I played featured someone with the splattershot repeatedly doing sidestep dodging to get behind everyone and and rack up a huge kill streak. Even at distances that stretch the ability that even if it was possible, it would be real.

No dodging like the dualies, no. They could squid roll or sub strafe for mobility and particularly the latter is hard to track. However both look distinctly different animation-wise.

They explain why they lean towards a replay like feature, but my first thoought, too, was along the lines of sharing playable scenarios so others can try the exact combination of hazard, weapons, map, waves and quotas you just beat or failed at.

When one of the other teammates disconnects from Salmon Run mid game why it still lower your rank when you lose?
I ran into this today, I was quite shocked.
The difficulty is based on how many people are in the game. If someone disconnects then the amount of enemies decreases and the amount of eggs you need to advance to the next wave decreases on the spot. So you lose rank because you were never really at a disadvantage.

Tried ranked modes today and had a massive streak of losses due to players getting disconnected from my teams.

Fix your shit, Nintendo.

I don't think D/Cs count towards losses unless you were the one disconnecting. An early DC counts as draw. A late D/C usually will show up as a defeat in the W/L column but will have a message saying that it will not count as an actual loss. You will not lose Rank points or take a Series loss in either D/C scenarios.

I'm watching a stream right now and I'm very interested in getting the game. I just have such a big backlog idk if it would be wise to get it.

Back
Top Bottom