• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation Sony State of Play announced for March 9th, 2022 2 PM PST / 5 PM EST / 11 PM CET "Focusing on Japanese Developers" ~20 minutes

That was actually a decent SoP for me. Some decent to good announcements though I’m not getting any of the games I’m interested in on PS haha.

• Exoprimal looks like a fun wacky coop shooter, and gives me hope Dino Crisis is in the works.
  • Ghostwire: Tokyo still looks like a moderately interesting FPS, but it’s the theming that’s the main draw. Haven’t seen anything super cool, gameplay-wise.
  • Forspoken is conceptually the kind of game I would enjoy. Action adventure where you’re decked out with a magic arsenal? Sign me up. There’s just something that’s throwing me off every time I see the gameplay footage. Like I can’t accurately grasp how it actually plays.
  • Gigabash looks fun! Hopefully you can munch on humans a la Rampage.
  • Jojo All-Star Battle R has 50 marvelous Jojo characters to beat other Jojo characters with. Yesss.
  • Trek To Yomi has killer grayscale visuals. Sad it doesn’t have a Switch version but PC works fine.
  • Returnal already looking better with the update. One the PS5 exclusives that I’ll nab once I decide to buy a PS5.
  • Diofield Chronicle: It really is the year of the SRPG! Praise be.
  • Valkyrie Elysium on one hand is a new Valkyrie game. But on the other hand, it looks like a cheap action game.

I am genuinly excited for Diofield. The rest was disappointing. Valkyrie Elysium and Ghost Wire Tokyo were the biggest disappointments for me. I mean for Valkyrie I honestly can't think of why they would choose such a direction. There are tons of actions games that look exactly the same already. Why go for that game play style especially when FF Origin is coming. Ghost Wire just looks weird all around even though it could have been really cool. I will need to see more to pass judgement but it didn't impress.

Wow, that show was absolute garbage. At least for me and my tastes. I knew FF16 wouldn’t be there - it’s crazy how folks keep getting their hopes up.

The only two games I could see myself playing from this are DioField Chronicle and Valkyrie Elysium, but I'm not very sold on either yet. Hopefully they end up being good.

Ironically the two things that really stood out for me were the Returnal update and TMNT, both western games. Ghostwire still looks good though, interested to see how it turns out. Square had 4(?) games, 3 were Action RPGS and none looked particularly great.

I’m still confused as to how Nintendo and Digital Revolver are the only two who seem to get the online presentation format after all this time. The rest continually bungle it time after time and never really learn from their or others mistakes

So apparently the developers behind Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker are behind Valkyrie? Oof...

VALKYRIE ELYSIUM™ is an all-new action-RPG in the VALKYRIE series, coming to PlayStation®5 (PS5™) and PlayStation®4 consoles and STEAM® this year. Developed by Soleil Ltd., VALKYRIE ELYSIUM draws on the richness of Norse mythology to present an original story set in a world on the brink of destruction, full of danger and fast-paced action combat.
https://press.na.square-enix.com/VALKYRIE-ELYSIUM

Last edited:
I’m still confused as to how Nintendo and Digital Revolver are the only two who seem to get the online presentation format after all this time. The rest continually bungle it time after time and never really learn from their or others mistakes
The presentation had a really bad pacing problem. There was no breathing room in between several of the trailers, absolutely NO context offered in between, nothing has time to resonate before you're meant to be swept up in something else. And honestly, if this is what SoP is going to be, they may as well just release a trailer playlist on YT with sequential auto-play and be done with it.

The only games that super interested me were JoJo and TMNT, and both of those are also coming to Switch. So not exactly a great showing in terms of getting me excited about PlayStation. I don't think the lineup of games was bad though, just mostly not for me.

The presentation had a really bad pacing problem. There was no breathing room in between several of the trailers, absolutely NO context offered in between, nothing has time to resonate before you're meant to be swept up in something else. And honestly, if this is what SoP is going to be, they may as well just release a trailer playlist on YT with sequential auto-play and be done with it.
For me at least, State of Plays feel like the electronic press kit style commercial program they show you in the movie theater before they even show the trailers. Like "Here's an Inside Look at New Drama Series starring Moderately Known Actor coming soon to TNT."

For me at least, State of Plays feel like the electronic press kit style commercial program they show you in the movie theater before they even show the trailers. Like "Here's an Inside Look at New Drama Series starring Moderately Known Actor coming soon to TNT."
State of Play hosted by Maria Menounos of Noovie fame would be a step up pacing wise than just State of Play lol. At least they’d do a better job telling you about what’s next in the program.

They also did last year's Samurai Jack game and I thought that was a solid low budget slasher.
Maybe I'll get Valkyrie when it's $20 if the reviews aren't below 70 then.

maybe? Trademarks for it have been filed all over the course of the last month.

monkey-paw.gif

jfc Square

Oh nice, the Stranger's Paradise demo is on Xbox too. Jeez what was even exclusive in this presentation lol.
Only returnal update (update of a game already exclusive) and Ghostwire: Tokyo (which was already known and its coming to other plataforms in 1 year)

Wow, that show was absolute garbage. At least for me and my tastes. I knew FF16 wouldn’t be there - it’s crazy how folks keep getting their hopes up.
It was pretty bad (but on par for their State of Plays). I mean with FFXVI there was a logical reason it would be there (a teaser before proper showing in Spring) so its not that crazy, but obviously unlikely (though them ending with here's two games from Square Enix and not showing anything anyone is excited about is certainly a choice (ie: they probably should have ended with Capcom rather than Square)

Only returnal update (update of a game already exclusive) and Ghostwire: Tokyo (which was already known and its coming to other plataforms in 1 year)
Jesus Christ. And I'm waiting on Game Pass for Ghostwire so, one free DLC update is all this had. My plan to wait for a PS5 slim stands.

I was reliving my experience with Valkyrie Profile (PSP version) via a valkyrie-pedia journey and man that game was something else. I forgot how cool the party member setup was. I never played Silmeria but I couldn't help but get sucked into how that played off events from the first game and 🤯

Valkyrie Elysium looked ... kinda derpy? I'm especially thinking of that voiced scene where the new Valkyrie (I assume her name is "Elysium") looks badly lip-synced and is reaching out to some character (presumably einherjar).

Anyway, all you can be is hopeful to the finished product lands and we can see what new experience they created.
S-E absolutely has to remaster and bring Lenneth to All The Things tho.

Other than that, I did like the new IP announcements. Specifically Capcom's Dino-foray and yet another Strategy-JRPG. Man this year and Strategy-JRPGs ... If Fire Emblem does materialize late 2022 as well 😅

It was pretty bad (but on par for their State of Plays). I mean with FFXVI there was a logical reason it would be there (a teaser before proper showing in Spring) so its not that crazy, but obviously unlikely (though them ending with here's two games from Square Enix and not showing anything anyone is excited about is certainly a choice (ie: they probably should have ended with Capcom rather than Square)
I think in general SIE needs to go back to the drawing board with SOP. They don’t learn from any of them/others and they don’t function all that well. It just makes it so expectations continue to remain rock bottom.

Ironically the two things that really stood out for me were the Returnal update and TMNT, both western games. Ghostwire still looks good though, interested to see how it turns out. Square had 4(?) games, 3 were Action RPGS and none looked particularly great.

Don't forget they finished off the previous state of play by revealing Star Ocean 6, another action RPG that also does not look particularly great.

I think in general SIE needs to go back to the drawing board with SOP. They don’t learn from any of them/others and they don’t function all that well. It just makes it so expectations continue to remain rock bottom.
I think the challenge is because they are doing the direct format, people compare it to Nintendo Directs and they're very much not the same thing in terms of what the scope and aim of the announcements are. For Sony, these are pretty much 3rd party showcases for minor releases (with some exceptions) basically Direct Mini Partner Showcases, which in general I would say that they are on par with (the partner showcases were generally very bad, apart from the Monster Hunter/Ori shadowdrop in Sept 2020 (and HW reveal a cpl weeks earlier).

So, i think absolutely they need to find a way to message that or differentiate it from Directs enough that it doesnt get compared to the "full fat" Directs which are their once a year showcases.

Don't forget they finished off the previous state of play by revealing Star Ocean 6, another action RPG that also does not look particularly great.
It looks a lot more interesting than this one. tri-Ace looks like they're really putting some thought into the world for SO6.

which in general I would say that they are on par with (the partner showcases were generally very bad, apart from the Monster Hunter/Ori shadowdrop in Sept 2020 (and HW reveal a cpl weeks earlier).
Wasn't there only like 4-5 of those and 2 of them were absolute fire?

I would not compare that to State of Plays at all. I mean, I guess the format is similar, but the Partner Showcases, somehow, someway, were way more consistently enjoyable (even if yes, 2 or 3 were bad).

I would not compare that to State of Plays at all. I mean, I guess the format is similar, but the Partner Showcases, somehow, someway, were way more consistently enjoyable (even if yes, 2 or 3 were bad).
Yeah if anything it’s only this most recent SoP that’s managed to be on the same ballpark as a decent Partner Showcase. The other SoP presentations were worse than most of Nintendo’s less impactful Directs.

I think the challenge is because they are doing the direct format, people compare it to Nintendo Directs and they're very much not the same thing in terms of what the scope and aim of the announcements are. For Sony, these are pretty much 3rd party showcases for minor releases (with some exceptions) basically Direct Mini Partner Showcases, which in general I would say that they are on par with (the partner showcases were generally very bad, apart from the Monster Hunter/Ori shadowdrop in Sept 2020 (and HW reveal a cpl weeks earlier).

So, i think absolutely they need to find a way to message that or differentiate it from Directs enough that it doesnt get compared to the "full fat" Directs which are their once a year showcases.
You don’t have to compare them to find SOPs riddled with issues and disappointing. I said it earlier but they, and others, refuse to learn from past mistakes or even looking at what works. Even comparing them to Indie Directs or Minis is not flattering because content isn’t the only issue here. As an aside the Minis were fine once Nintendo understood how to use them but the first few were rough.

For SOPs to work Sony needs to actively learn why people keep being disappointed and have extremely low expectations for them. They are never going to differentiate from full Directs but they can make it more enjoyable, watchable, and exciting if they take it seriously.

Yeah there were 4, and those are a fairly silly comparison to draw since those were a necessary step on Nintendo's part to fulfill contractual agreements during unknown Covid times. They quickly bounced back from them, whereas Sony has no such excuse for State of Plays.

I don't understand the complaints with the format. I thought it was fine on that front. Pretty much no filler. I actually hate the Nintendo headlines and annoying announcers lol. The issue here was squarely on the content, which I thought looked alright, not spectacular but still fine. And the fact that Sony treats these as an afterthought, seemingly viewing their big budget titles too highly to "sully" them with such presentations

Yeah there were 4, and those are a fairly silly comparison to draw since those were a necessary step on Nintendo's part to fulfill contractual agreements during unknown Covid times. They quickly bounced back from them, whereas Sony has no such excuse for State of Plays.
I understand that, but on a content level they are roughly similar (State of Plays have had a few good ones, FF7R, RE3 etc...). These State of Plays are made to fulfill contractual obligations for Sony too, obviously the circumstances are different. The last Mini Showcase in 2020 had Monster Hunter and Ori which was good, the rest were on this level or below. My point is that Sony treats these as a small thing for their third party partners and not like Nintendo treats a proper direct and that will always lead to disappointment for people expecting Nintendo Directs from them

I understand that, but on a content level they are roughly similar (State of Plays have had a few good ones, FF7R, RE3 etc...). These State of Plays are made to fulfill contractual obligations for Sony too, obviously the circumstances are different. The last Mini Showcase in 2020 had Monster Hunter and Ori which was good, the rest were on this level or below. My point is that Sony treats these as a small thing for their third party partners and not like Nintendo treats a proper direct and that will always lead to disappointment for people expecting Nintendo Directs from them
Right, and I definitely agree with your original post. I didn't mean to say it was silly of you to compare it but rather it's a silly target for Sony to go after since they were just Nintendo making the best of a shitty situation. Sony on the other hand has done these presentations by choice and isn't making much of an effort to evolve them regardless of mediocre view counts in comparison. If I'm a third party, I have less and less reason to want to show my project in a SoP if Sony isn't giving fans a reason to tune in.

Perhaps this is meeting their expectations and all it's ever meant to be, and they'll rely on one big annual E3-style presentation to tell their larger story. It all just feels a bit uneven to me.

Diofield looks kinda cool, although I didn't really grasp how the gameplay worked.

I did laugh a bit at how similar the "map part" of the trailer was to the first few Three Houses trailers.

Perhaps this is meeting their expectations and all it's ever meant to be, and they'll rely on one big annual E3-style presentation to tell their larger story. It all just feels a bit uneven to me.
did they do one around e3 time last year that was any good?

Right, and I definitely agree with your original post. I didn't mean to say it was silly of you to compare it but rather it's a silly target for Sony to go after since they were just Nintendo making the best of a shitty situation. Sony on the other hand has done these presentations by choice and isn't making much of an effort to evolve them regardless of mediocre view counts in comparison. If I'm a third party, I have less and less reason to want to show my project in a SoP if Sony isn't giving fans a reason to tune in.

Oh right sorry I misread you a little.

Yeah I think, Nintendo are really the only ones who have done 3 "big" presentations a year regularly, Xbox/Sony generally do their big one a year and game specific marketing for their big stuff as it comes close to release (be that solo State of Play/more fancy trailer reveal events like Horizon/Death Stranding etc...

Regardless of fans general reaction/sentiment, I guess the games featured in these presentations are guaranteed to have their reveals featured in press etc... so there is certainly some good awareness generated even if it is early - and these are the sort of things that wouldn't be featured in their big presentations and its probably a cheaper prospect for the publishers than what they have to pay to get into the big summer showcase.

I think the next thing we'll see from Sony is a big God of War solo reveal/release date announcement most likely and they will go by on that, another small SoP/Gamescom etc... til September's next big presentation

Back
Top Bottom