• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Sony is Planning a New Subscription Service code-named Spartacus

Are there really that many first party Sony pre-PS3 games that people care about vs. the collective output of Konami/Square/Enix/Capcom? Or is your concern that those won’t play ball?
Ah, apologies if I was unclear - I meant day 1 PS5 games a la Gamepass rather than day one B/C.

Hopefully they can get third parties on board for B/C but we've seen a lot of them just want to release on their own and make more money that way.

I think I'm in the minority here, but I'm not enthusiastic over all these subscription gaming services coming out, especially when they have tiers. Maybe it'll be decent value, but I don't trust these companies to have or keep consumer's best interests in mind.
I don't think you are a minority per se, but there are pros and cons to these services. The pros are constantly highlighted, the cons rarely talked about since these services aree relatively new. I'm curious how this will play out in the future but I agree with you: I don't think it's the consumer they have in mind with these services.

Even though they won’t be doing day one games, I’m still willing to not buy first party games at launch for $70 and wait a year for them to be out in this service. Demons Souls is the only game I bought at $70 and I already told myself the only other game on the horizon I will pay $70 for is FF16. An exclusive Persona 6 is something I’m also willing to pay $70 for. Outside of that, Sony can get bent with $70 games.

Put em on a subscription service and I’m more willing to “obtain” and play then.

I don't think it's the consumer they have in mind with these services.
Of course not. These companies aren’t offering these deals out of the goodness of their hearts, it’s because they think it’s the best way to earn the most money they can.

As for the topic on hand, upon further perusal this Project Spartacus seems more like a rebranding of PS Plus/PS Now with possible BC support. Could be interesting.

Quoted by: 2B
I am sure someone already made that joke but it almost seemed like people at Sony looked at GamePass and realized they would need to declare war to Microsoft on that in one way or another and at some point someone screamed "THIS! IS! SPARTAAAAAAA!"

I am sorry.

I'm not, really.

I don’t see this as a Gamepass competitor (because it isn’t without day one first party games). I see it as Sony looking at Nintendo’s handling of classic games and realizing they can also exploit their fans by giving them classic games behind a pricey service.

it’s because they think it’s the best way to earn the most money they can.
I wouldn't limit it to just money, subscription services introduce DRM as one example.

I feel like there was a rumour a while ago (years) about PS+ and PS Now being merged...

A couple of things that will make or brake it for me is native or streamed games, day 1 first party games and ofcourse the price.

A couple of things that will make or brake it for me is native or streamed games, day 1 first party games and ofcourse the price.
You’re 100% not getting day one first party games at the launch of the service. That’s only going to happen if MS really closes in on Sony in regards to install base.

If they don't end up having day one first party stuff and allow you to download every game, then this seems like less of a Game Pass competitor and more akin to NSO + Expansion Pack

That’s why I look at this as just a paid subscription for BC games. The main selling point for Game Pass is you get new releases and you don’t have to spend more than $15 a month (at the absolute most) to enjoy a vast array of games plus new first party releases.

A monthly subscription service on top of the cost of PS+ on top of having to buy $70 games at launch just seems like PS5 is presenting itself as an even worse financial proposition compared to Xbox. You want me to pay a sub for BC games AND STILL buy $70 games at launch? Thanks but no thanks, Sony.

I bought 30 PS1 games and 10 PS2 games on my PS3. I should just get those games, not have to pay a sub for them. And it’s not like I’m asking the devs to work for “free.” I already bought digital games on Xbox 360 and as they became BC eligible on Xbox One I got access to them (with enhancements) at no extra cost.

Really curious at the price. If done right, it might be quite a blow to Gamepass. And Nintendo is far, far behind (I feel they already are, even though I'm personally ok with NSO). Still, it all depends of the price of the model and Sony agressively getting day one-games on there.
A Game Pass like service would hurt Nintendo far more than it would help them, so it makes perfect sense why they’re “behind” here. No one in the industry is in need of a GP service less than Nintendo.

Unlike Nintendo, PlayStation will need this type of service at some point in the near future, so it’s smart they’re moving in that direction now, even if it’s not as all-encompassing as Xbox’s model.

Cool beans and long overdue, but as others have mentioned, no day one first-party releases is a deal breaker.

Of course, anything would probably be better than NSO.

If Sony gets Square Enix on this board, and Xenogears is on this as well as the PS1/PS2 classic JRPGs, this will blow NSO out of the water
If Nintendo can't get SE on board for retro stuff, what makes you think Sony will? To date they haven't put any PS3 games on Now. All they've done is a few of the PS4 FF remasters (VII, VIIr, IX, X/X-2 HD) and FFXV (which was timed, now gone). Bandai Namco's also been super light on PSNow support (nothing for PS3, a handful of timed stuff for PS4).

The big Japanese supporters on Now seem to be Sega/Atlus, Koei Tecmo, Konami and Capcom. There's also some stuff from NIS and SNK. Those are likely more the publishers you can expect contributing PS1 and PS2 games.

If Nintendo can't get SE on board for retro stuff, what makes you think Sony will? To date they haven't put any PS3 games on Now. All they've done is a few of the PS4 FF remasters (VII, VIIr, IX, X/X-2 HD) and FFXV (which was timed, now gone). Bandai Namco's also been super light on PSNow support (nothing for PS3, a handful of timed stuff for PS4).

The big Japanese supporters on Now seem to be Sega/Atlus, Koei Tecmo, Konami and Capcom. There's also some stuff from NIS and SNK. Those are likely more the publishers you can expect contributing PS1 and PS2 games.
Konami had pretty good PS1 and PS2 output so that would be at least something. Same with Capcom.

Back
Top Bottom