• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Rumour Sony is Planning a New Subscription Service code-named Spartacus

Makes sense, been expecting Now and Plus to merge for a while now. If this is to be believed it looks like they're probably taking a leaf out of Nintendo's book in how they deal with PS1/PS2/PSP games but unless there's day 1 first party games on this new service then it's nowhere near being a Gamepass competitor at this point.

Great to see Sony joining Microsoft in this department. It doesn’t mention day 1 first party games so we’ll see if Sony makes that big leap.

Begun, the subscription wars have.

Sony must have caught wind of myself buying an Xbox Series S and decided that they had to change course over the course of the week. That's obviously the explanation there. It's all going to be about pricing though.

This is really good news but, this needs to have first party games day one, and allow for download of all the games (no stream only games), only then it can truly compete with gamepass.

Really curious at the price. If done right, it might be quite a blow to Gamepass. And Nintendo is far, far behind (I feel they already are, even though I'm personally ok with NSO). Still, it all depends of the price of the model and Sony agressively getting day one-games on there.

gimme da classics!!! gimme da old games!!!!!!

honestly one of my biggest gripes with modern sony is their absolute dismissal of their incredible legacy. sounds like maybe Jim Ryan has figured out who would want to play the old games

Price is important but right now that lack of day 1 for first party games makes me lose interest immediately.

It was inevitable with apparent success of Game Pass. I would assume it would be as expensive as Game Pass ultimate for the highest tier. The question will be if the retro games will be native or streamed

If this had new and retro first party games, and I could rent them, I would pay an unspeakable amount of money for this.

Really curious at the price. If done right, it might be quite a blow to Gamepass. And Nintendo is far, far behind (I feel they already are, even though I'm personally ok with NSO). Still, it all depends of the price of the model and Sony agressively getting day one-games on there.
It doesn’t sound like day 1 Sony games and if that’s the case this isn’t a competitor to Gamepass. And yeah Nintendo is nowhere near any conversation of these companies.

It doesn’t sound like day 1 Sony games and if that’s the case this isn’t a competitor to Gamepass. And yeah Nintendo is nowhere near any conversation of these companies.
Yep, the wording in the article really make it sound like "just" a merger of Now and Plus. And even though Now has quite the library, I feel it really isn't on point like Gamepass is.

Sounds interesting, but Sony need to bring their A game to outdo Gamepass.

If Sony gets Square Enix on this board, and Xenogears is on this as well as the PS1/PS2 classic JRPGs, this will blow NSO out of the water
Don't want to sound too negative, but doesn't it already kind of do that with the Now library as-is? Plus is almost mandatory in the Sony ecosystem especially if you play online, so merging that with Now is really a huge step up for Sony and in another league compared with NSO.

I think I'm in the minority here, but I'm not enthusiastic over all these subscription gaming services coming out, especially when they have tiers. Maybe it'll be decent value, but I don't trust these companies to have or keep consumer's best interests in mind.

Not a single 'I'm Spartacus' joke Fami? Slightly disappointed...

This was always going to be on the cards. Industry is about to change in a big way if Sony embraces it to the extent Microsoft has. PS+ has been due a shake up for a while and if Sony lean into the back catalogue in a big way, it could be a game changer. Day 1 releases combined with past games is an appetising prospect.

You have to wonder how long it will be until Nintendo expands their online subscription service so it too starts including day one releases as well as past games.

So PS Now is now PS++? And there’s a more expensive PS+++ tier with access to even older games? Ok.

You have to wonder how long it will be until Nintendo expands their online subscription service so it too starts including day one releases as well as past games.
I was thinking about this the other day. How cool would it be if Nintendo extends their support to indies to add an Indies app to their NSO subscription offering. They could get indie games on there day one, publish indie games on there themselves and much more. It would really help to differentiate their offering to what Microsoft and Sony do, plus it is in line with the way they are already promoting indies thrue Indies Direct.

This sounds really bad honestly. I'm expecting a worse and more expensive version of game pass that money hats games to make game pass worse.

But if we get Altered Beast and Punisher as Ps2 games....

This is cool but it depends a) what the new service ends up being (first party games day 1? Downloadable PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4 games? What third party games? Etc) and b) price.

I’m more willing to pay higher than I would Xbox Game Pass if the 1P Sony games come there day 1 because those games are flat out just better than Xbox 1P IMO. But if it’s limited to what PS Now is now, the PS Plus Collection and some 1P Sony games 6-12 months later then I’m not going to bother much honestly.

That said, with my Xbox One and Xbox Game Pass, I never found a lot of value out of it because I don’t finish games as quickly as it ends up being worth paying month to month. It ended up being cheaper to just buy those games I was playing outright when they were on sale (and I’m never at a shortage of having games to play).

Based on how PSNnow works that does not seem likely, but reading the few bits it sounds like a NSO tier access service. $100+ tier?

Based on how PSNnow works that does not seem likely, but reading the few bits it sounds like a NSO tier access service. $100+ tier?
Yeah, seeing how Now and Plus are both €59,95 for a 12 month subscription, the third tier will probably quite expensive....

I saw the thread on era and said to myself, "I bet they'll half-ass it somehow like they often do with their services and features".

Opened the thread: No day 1 games.

And there it is...

I would mostly want this just for the PS1/PS2 games, and honestly most of those seem to be getting remasters/remakes anyway (fingers crossed that the CC, FFT, FF9 etc. rumors are true).

However PS2 games would be a big plus. Dark Cloud 1 and 2, Radiata Stories, etc. would be great to play again

Actually on closer inspection, this seems more like a rebranding of PS Now with a focus on classic PS games...so a bit similar to what Nintendo are currently doing with their retro games. So still not going all in like Microsoft are. I guess those day 1 sales are too lucrative to let go of at this stage for Sony still

If Sony gets Square Enix on this board, and Xenogears is on this as well as the PS1/PS2 classic JRPGs, this will blow NSO out of the water

Xenogears was literally the first word I thought even when reading the headline.

It sounds like Sony looked at what Nintendo did with their Switch Online Expansion Pack and decided that was a better go-to market strategy for their PS Now service.

I think I'm in the minority here, but I'm not enthusiastic over all these subscription gaming services coming out, especially when they have tiers. Maybe it'll be decent value, but I don't trust these companies to have or keep consumer's best interests in mind.

I somewhat agree even as a subscriber of gamepass. We are going to get to a point where if you own multiple consoles, you're going to be shelling out loads of money per year and hardly get to enjoy the content. Feels like how there are like a billion streaming apps/services and you end up watching a couple a month, and waste cash on the others.

Edit: you may argue that one shouldn't buy all the services, but what if you really want to play just one game on the service? I.e. I wanna play Starfield(Gamepass), God of War 2(Spartacus) and Paper Mario 64(NSO) all at once? I'd be shelling out loads of cash to play 3 select titles.

I'd much prefer an a la carte service from if all 3 platforms end up doing the same thing.

An expanded library for PS now seems exactly what I would want as Sony will never put their first party titles day one in a subscription service. As someone uninterested in 80% of MS' first party offerings, the appeal of game pass has always been the vast category of third party games they offer, day one or otherwise. If Sony can put games like Hades, Solar Ash, Chicory or Death's Door-even if they are added months later after launch, I'll be signing up for tier 2. Only way they get me for tier 3 is if the retro games are downloadable.

I was excited until it seems all legacy titles will be handled via streaming and seems it'll be locked behind a subscription service too...

Man. Why did both Sony and Nintendo go backwards on this? I'm not shocked, but it's still disappointing.

I hope we will one day see ps vita and ps3 games being playable on ps5 without streaming.

If the older library is going to be streaming-only that will definitely kill my enthusiasm for that particular service. Besides the fact that it means I won't be able to play without a connection I don't have much interest in playing games that often required the lower latency of a crt on a stream.

Last edited:
This is how I feel too. It already takes something I want and am willing to pay for - old games on current platforms - and turns it into a regular payment rather than a one-off. Like others in this thread, this news immediately makes me think of certain games I’d love to play again or even for the first time, but I’d much rather just be able to buy them flat out. It’s the same with the NSO expansion. I don’t want to pay an annual fee for like two N64 games I’d like to play but currently don’t have access to.

Likewise, with Sony I want to play old game discs and digital purchases of classics from previous gens on current hardware. I don't want a sub to stream games I have on my shelf or PS3 or that I'd rather see remastered or ported.

Streaming also presumably sucks for anyone with poor or unreliable internet.

There was a time when the thought of a streaming service like this would turn me off. But this week I’ve started using xCloud to play Forza Horizon 5, and folks, it’s incredible. I’m 100% sold on streaming games. If Sony wants to launch a streaming service for older games, I’m in.

Makes sense, been expecting Now and Plus to merge for a while now. If this is to be believed it looks like they're probably taking a leaf out of Nintendo's book in how they deal with PS1/PS2/PSP games but unless there's day 1 first party games on this new service then it's nowhere near being a Gamepass competitor at this point.
Are there really that many first party Sony pre-PS3 games that people care about vs. the collective output of Konami/Square/Enix/Capcom? Or is your concern that those won’t play ball?

Back
Top Bottom