• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Sony Defends PS Plus Price Hike, Explains Why It Won't Put Games There Day One

lemonfresh

#Team2024
Pronouns
He/Him
Lempel said, "Like practically everything else in the world, we have to look at our pricing and we have to adjust to market conditions." The executive added, "We want to make PlayStation Plus great. With our reboot last year and introducing the tier system, a lot of consumers have recognized that there's a lot of value in PlayStation 5."

Also in the Barron's interview, Lempel was asked for his thoughts on Xbox Game Pass, and specifically how the company launches its first-party games into the catalog. Sony does not do this with PlayStation Plus. Lempel said PlayStation Plus is "very different" from Game Pass, but he wouldn't be drawn into talking about launching first-party PlayStation games on PS Plus.

"It comes down to what you're going to get in the service in terms of the type of game and the quality of games. I can't comment on what the competition is doing. But with us, we feel we're offering a great curated catalog of games, as well as other features and services with PlayStation Plus," he said. "It's a very different offering, but it's one that resonated with consumers. Since we introduced the tiers, we've seen a third of the Plus user base opt for the upper two tiers, which was more than we had expected."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/s...it-wont-put-games-there-day-one/1100-6518715/

Arrogant Sony is back

Sony single handily made me move to PC and Nintendo because of this. I refuse to pay for online play now, everyone is raising the prices, and it's getting out of hand.

Last edited:
I never found justification for getting a 2nd gaming console for myself beyond the Nintendo one. Still don't.

But if it means anything, 4 years ago (2019-ish), I remember telling someone I'm thinking of getting PS5 for myself (once it gets released), because of the great JRPG support and exclusives on the console.

Today? My opinion has changed, I would rather get XBX over PS5 mainly because of GamePass. It wasn't a change of opinion from this thread or something that happened overnight, it's just due to observations on state of Sony and Microsoft consoles (and their leadership) in general that gradually pushed my opinion into that direction or the other direction, and right now it's decidedly leaning to the Microsoft side.

They really got away with a 30% price increase on Plus.

They've released nothing this year and their reward for it is constantly topping the charts.

Gamers, we are so back.

I am like a broken record... but I have been saying non-stop that they cannot expect to do PC ports, with more performance options, cheaper, with no online fees and of course included in Steam sales and expect all their customers to stay on console.

Particularly after a blitz of price hikes for games, online and even hardware.

Very disappointed with PlayStation leadership this generation.

They really got away with a 30% price increase on Plus.

They've released nothing this year and their reward for it is constantly topping the charts.

Gamers, we are so back.

They just released Spider-Man 2 literally one week ago.

Sony defending PlayStation Plus price hike:
IMG-0748.gif

Sony knows most subscribers will not give up their friends nor one of their favorite hobbies. The amount of the increase is pretty brazen yet not large enough to turn off most people.

Personally, I can’t justify it; I barely justified it before. I need fewer recurring costs because I don’t spend enough time with all of them to be worthwhile.

It’s impressive how bad Sony PR is. Not that any of these companies are any less composed of capitalists but they don’t even pretend to care lol

Glad I never paid for PS+

Because Sony saw how Hollywood sending movies straight to streaming caused them to lose money on all of them and realized "wait, that's a fucking awful business model"
I am like a broken record... but I have been saying non-stop that they cannot expect to do PC ports, with more performance options, cheaper, with no online fees and of course included in Steam sales and expect all their customers to stay on console.

Particularly after a blitz of price hikes for games, online and even hardware.

Very disappointed with PlayStation leadership this generation.
Because PCs are much more expensive, both in regards to hardware and games, significantly less user-friendly, and most ports are broken on release.

My sub annoyingly expired the same month they hiked up the price. I already never paid full price for it, but still. My PS5 mostly collects dust these days and I feel like I get way more value out of the NSO expansion pack for the MK8 DLC pass alone lmao

They just released Spider-Man 2 literally one week ago.
"Nothing" is a hyperbole but that's... 1 game. Imo it's ridiculous. Sure they've had 3rd party support like FFXVI, but that's not Sony themselves making the game. Can't exactly compare Sony to Xbox since their deal rn isn't new original Xbox games, its GamePass being a good deal. And GamePass has had a ton of day-1 bangers. Starfield, Hi-Fi Rush, Lies of P, the Persona game deals, Like a Dragon Gaiden next week, etc. Even Nintendo put out 4 original games this year, not counting remakes. Sony is really struggling with their output and I just don't get how some people don't see it.

I've already decided to let my sub lapse come next April. I almost never play online and the retro offerings aren't worth it IMO.

I kind of wish he just said "We need to make more money for shareholders." There was no added benefits with this price hike.

Because Sony saw how Hollywood sending movies straight to streaming caused them to lose money on all of them and realized "wait, that's a fucking awful business model"

Because PCs are much more expensive, both in regards to hardware and games, significantly less user-friendly, and most ports are broken on release.

Of course but I prefer the Nintendo approach. I like the way exclusives build into a catalog over a generation to create a very strong pull-factor.

I do wonder if it has lowered the ceiling on console sales... but for now the pace seems to still be good. Just a bit worried for the long-term.

Nothing there is a hyperbole but that's... 1 game. Imo it's ridiculous. Sure they've had 3rd party support like FFXVI, but that's not Sony themselves making the game. Can't exactly compare Sony to Xbox since their deal rn isn't new original Xbox games, its GamePass being a good deal. And GamePass has had a ton of day-1 bangers. Starfield, Hi-Fi Rush, Lies of P, the Persona game deals, Like a Dragon Gaiden next week, etc. Even Nintendo put out 4 original games this year, not counting remakes. Sony is really struggling with their output and I just don't get how some people don't see it.

I won't argue that Sony's output this year is on the light end, but they've put out games.

-Spider-Man 2
-Horizon: Call of the Wild
-Horizon: Forbidden West DLC
-MLB The Show 2023

Sony wants to go with the big blockbusters and those take longer to make. They save the smaller AA games for indies to make, and they secure deals for those. That is how we got stuff like Kena: Bridge of Spirits and Stray day 1 on PS Plus last year.

Last year, Sony had four big games released, plus the usual MLB. Next year is a question mark, but at some point, their bigger studios will have more stuff coming out. I think part of Sony's problem is that they had too many studios lined up with games in 2020/2021, and that led to a lull like we have in 2023. Sony is trying to get some studios to branch out into multiple teams, but that is easier said than done.

Of course but I prefer the Nintendo approach. I like the way exclusives build into a catalog over a generation to create a very strong pull-factor.

I do wonder if it has lowered the ceiling on console sales... but for now the pace seems to still be good. Just a bit worried for the long-term.
By the time the games drop on PC, they've usually wrung everything they can out of the original release, both in regards to actual game sales and consoles sold to people who want to play the game. Might as well drop it on PC to make extra cash for cheap.

Frankly Nintendo should start considering this for some of the stuff where sales numbers have slown down

Last edited:
"Nothing" is a hyperbole but that's... 1 game. Imo it's ridiculous. Sure they've had 3rd party support like FFXVI, but that's not Sony themselves making the game. Can't exactly compare Sony to Xbox since their deal rn isn't new original Xbox games, its GamePass being a good deal. And GamePass has had a ton of day-1 bangers. Starfield, Hi-Fi Rush, Lies of P, the Persona game deals, Like a Dragon Gaiden next week, etc. Even Nintendo put out 4 original games this year, not counting remakes. Sony is really struggling with their output and I just don't get how some people don't see it.

Nintendo has 8 non-remake games this calendar year, not sure how you got to 4.

Imo it doesn't but we can disagree. I'm talking about what Nintendo's own studios are doing. Also my original comment was talking about games Nintendo had already released, and WarioWare isn't out yet.
If Bayo doesn't count, Fire Emblem doesn't either.

Published by Nintendo, it counts. (Also Warioware was this year, so that's 6)

I mean, if we are counting those Horizon DLCs, then Xenoblade 3 Expansion.

Anyway, Sony's output has been subpar not only this year but their whole current generation. Not only by quantity but also by variety.

Are the Fire Emblem devs not Nintendo? This is the first time I've heard of this. What do you mean? A Google search says they're owned by Nintendo and have only ever produced Nintendo games.
Intelligent Systems is not owned by Nintendo, no.

Are the Fire Emblem devs not Nintendo? This is the first time I've heard of this. What do you mean? A Google search says they're owned by Nintendo and have only ever produced Nintendo games.

They have developed some games not published by Nintendo and they are not owned by them.

I read more about Intelligent Systems. Seems like it's more of a HAL situation where they're partnered with Nintendo though still technically their own company. Platinum games isn't like that so I'm going to continue not counting Bayo but counting Fire Emblem. You don't need to agree but I'm not gonna argue it anymore.
How did a Sony thread turn into another "what counts as first party Nintendo" thread?
My opinion on what games has Nintendo put out from my comment about Sony's output seems to have stirred a discussion.

I read more about Intelligent Systems. Seems like it's more of a HAL situation where they're partnered with Nintendo though still technically their own company. Platinum games isn't like that so I'm going to continue not counting Bayo but counting Fire Emblem. You don't need to agree but I'm not gonna argue it anymore.

My opinion on what games has Nintendo put out from my comment about Sony's output seems to have stirred a discussion.

Then you can make a similar case with TPC (or Creatures for that matter) and count Detective Pikachu instead...

They're also the (co)developers of the WarioWare series & Paper Mario series.

Intelligent Systems (the developer of Fire Emblem, WarioWare, and Paper Mario) is in that HAL Labs/Camelot zone where they basically only make games for Nintendo but are not owned by Nintendo

No reason to go PlayStation this generation. The PS3 will be my last Sony console and the XBox 360 my only Microsoft console. Sticking with Nintendo and PC since the Wii U days.

It's not just that Sony has been pretty light on releases lately, but also now that GoW and Horizon are out, what big games from Sony themselves are even coming that we know about? All I can think of off the top of my head is FF7Rebirth as a big PS5 game but that's Square Enix.

It's not just that Sony has been pretty light on releases lately, but also now that GoW and Horizon are out, what big games from Sony themselves are even coming that we know about? All I can think of off the top of my head is FF7Rebirth as a big PS5 game but that's Square Enix.
they got wolverine for announced games but thats it. But of course I think we will get new horizon god of war and last of us sequals but those may be years away

This is why they shouldn’t have shuttered Japan Studio. Japan Studio was the life blood of creative Sony back in the day and look what happened to them.

they got wolverine for announced games but thats it. But of course I think we will get new horizon god of war and last of us sequals but those may be years away

They have tons invested in live service/GaaS games which they announced during their 2023 "big" showcase.

(Which all are the opposite what I want from Sony, but I digress).

Also on topic, Sony can go f' themselves with that quote lol.

They have tons invested in live service/GaaS games which they announced during their 2023 "big" showcase.
I mean, yes, but none of that looked even remotely interesting to me, nor to... basically anyone that I know of or have talked to. If all Sony has coming is GaaS games like those, then I have to wonder what the hell they're thinking

This is what is announced that Sony is developing and/or publishing.

Announced for 2023 but no date:
Stella Blade (probably a 2024 game at this point)

Announced for 2024:
Helldivers 2 (Feb 9th)
Concord
Rise of Ronin
Lost Soul Aside
MLB: The Show 2024 (eternal)

Announced with no window:
Death Stranding 2
Wolverine
TLOU: Factions (Status is unclear at the moment)
FairGame$
Marathon

(Which all are the opposite what I want from Sony, but I digress).

Also on topic, Sony can go f' themselves with that quote lol.
It's kind of funny when you think about Sony refusing to put their first party games Day 1 on PS Plus...when the only thing they have announced first party wise that are internally developed and isn't Wolverine are GaaS titles that would greatly benefit from being put Day 1 on a subscription service, in order to have a larger player base to monetize.

This is what is announced that Sony is developing and/or publishing.

Announced for 2023 but no date:
Stella Blade (probably a 2024 game at this point)

Announced for 2024:
Helldivers 2 (Feb 9th)
Concord
Rise of Ronin
Lost Soul Aside
MLB: The Show 2024 (eternal)

Announced with no window:
Death Stranding 2
Wolverine
TLOU: Factions (Status is unclear at the moment)
FairGame$
Marathon
Ah, thanks for the reminder! There are some games there I'm interested in, just not a lot. Stellar Blade looks potentially good, Rise of Ronin too, and maybe Lost Soul Aside. And Death Stranding 2 I had completely forgotten about, even if it's not really my thing, but that is a big one.

Published by Nintendo, it counts. (Also Warioware was this year, so that's 6)

Published, completely funded, and only exists because of Nintendo, so it definitely counts. Nintendo also did all the localisation for outside of Japan for the title, and has the same overall credits for the game they do for all games made this way, including those of Pokémon and fire emblem, with e.g. the Executive producer credit going to Furukawa rather than anyone from platinum.

Anyway the 8 new first party titles for the year were

Fire emblem engage
Bayonetta origins
Tears of the kingdom
Everybody 1-2 switch
Detective Pikachu returns
Super mario bros wonder
Pikmin 4
Warioware move it.

In addition to the Metroid prime 1, Pikmin 1+2, advance wars 1+2, Kirby return to Dreamland, Mario RPG remakes/remasters and the expansive new DLC campaign for Xenoblade 3 which counts as a new title I'd the horizon DLC does.

Published, completely funded, and only exists because of Nintendo, so it definitely counts. Nintendo also did all the localisation for outside of Japan for the title, and has the same overall credits for the game they do for all games made this way, including those of Pokémon and fire emblem, with e.g. the Executive producer credit going to Furukawa rather than anyone from platinum.

Anyway the 8 new first party titles for the year were

Fire emblem engage
Bayonetta origins
Tears of the kingdom
Everybody 1-2 switch
Detective Pikachu returns
Super mario bros wonder
Pikmin 4
Warioware move it.

In addition to the Metroid prime 1, Pikmin 1+2, advance wars 1+2, Kirby return to Dreamland, Mario RPG remakes/remasters and the expansive new DLC campaign for Xenoblade 3 which counts as a new title I'd the horizon DLC does.
Just curious, but did you forget F-Zero 99, or do you just feel it being download-only/subscription-only disqualifies it from counting as a full release?

I could see an argument either way, but since people are bringing up things like DLC or the Horizon VR game, I would have figured it's fair game.

Back
Top Bottom