• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

LTTP Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie

(Late to the party)

Nabbit

Heading to Lorule? Rent your equipment here!
Over the weekend I watched the Sonic movie that is now about two years old. Just to give my history with this franchise, I have pretty much only played a few minutes of one of the original Sonic games as a kid, and then a good chunk of one of the Sonic Advance games as a teen. Come to think of it, I also played part of the demo for Sonic: Lost World on Wii U. So my experience with the franchise is limited, though I've followed the games with increasing interest over the past several years.

This year, I'd really like to try Sonic 3&K and Sonic Generations on Xbox for the first time. I have them ready to go but I haven't gotten to try them yet. I'm also interested in Mania and Colors. A long form article I read about Michael Jackson's contribution to Sonic music further got my interest piqued last year. Anyway, I've always thought Sonic was okay and maybe a bit too 'edgy' but over time the 90s receded into nostalgia and I like the campiness and retro coolness of the design now.

Anyway, the movie was surprisingly highly enjoyable to me. My spouse and I went in with low to moderate expectations because most video game movies we've seen haven't been great. But it was legitimately hilarious. I was really surprised just how much it had me laughing in the first half hour alone. The lady with no bones...the blue devil... Sonic's antics talking to himself and narrating. It really cracked me up.

Also just by internet osmosis I recognized some of the references like the hilarious use of the Sanic meme drawing, but I'm guessing there are a bunch I missed.

The overall story was enjoyable too. I thought James Marsden and Sonic had good buddy duo comedy. The fight scenes felt pretty inventive with a spin(ball) on the Matrix slo-mo. I was concerned hammed-up Jim Carrey would annoy me but it honestly worked really well for me in the context of the movie. In a way it was kinda comforting to see him totally inhabit a wacky character like he would a few decades back.

It's been five days since I saw it and I'm still surprised just how good it was. Like we saw The Lost City the other night and it was alright but we are both thinking "I can't believe Sonic was so much more enjoyable." 🤔🧐

So I'm really curious how the second movie turns out and I'm for sure planning to see it in theaters.

How did y'all like it? What clever references did I miss? Are you looking forward to the squeak-quel? 🌭

I thought about posting this in the Off-Topic forum it this side gets much more activity and I figured it's gamig-adjacent.

It was a solid little movie, didn't blow me away or anything but I enjoyed it even if it felt by-the-numbers at times. I think I was kind of more into the worldbuilding and "style" of Detective Pikachu but Carrey as Eggman did a lot for it. I came out of it thinking they laid a foundation for really cool sequels and it's looking like I was right.

I cannot imagine this movie with the original Sonic design, all those cute scenes would just be horrifying.

It was a solid little movie, didn't blow me away or anything but I enjoyed it even if it felt by-the-numbers at times. I think I was kind of more into the worldbuilding and "style" of Detective Pikachu but Carrey as Eggman did a lot for it. I came out of it thinking they laid a foundation for really cool sequels and it's looking like I was right.

I cannot imagine this movie with the original Sonic design, all those cute scenes would just be horrifying.
Interestingly enough I thought movie Sonic could've been a bit cuter...I remember the backlash but not what the original design was.

Ok, I just looked it up. Ok yeah it's a zillion times worse 😆

I agree about the sequel foundation - they did a really nice job with that.

This was better than it had any right to be, and Carrey chewing the scenery as Eggman was perfect (pretty much the same styling he did with Grinch but far more appropriate for the role this time around). Not sure I'll go see the sequel in the theater but I'll definitely rent it at some point.

This was better than it had any right to be, and Carrey chewing the scenery as Eggman was perfect (pretty much the same styling he did with Grinch but far more appropriate for the role this time around). Not sure I'll go see the sequel in the theater but I'll definitely rent it at some point.
I really liked how they came up with an organic moment for Sonic to refer to Robotnik as Eggman.

Didn’t read because I haven’t watched yet, but mentally pinning this thread because I too will be LTTP in watching it sometime ASAP before the second is out!!

Okay I'm spoilering this because I ended up writing, like, a lot. Too much, maybe. Look at my avatar, I'm sure nobody is surprised. 😅 Anyway @Nabbit, here ya go:

There were sooooooo many little references! Level names ("Hill Top" on that one sign in his basement, the town being "Green Hills"), the planets on his map (one was the blue-spheres world from Sonic 3K's special stages, one was literally just the Sega Saturn logo), the design on his bandana when he's playing with nunchucks is the winged logo from the Genesis Sonic 1 title screen, when Robotnik scrolls through his music in the dancing scene you see Crush 40 on his playlist (the band behind Sonic Adventure 1 & 2's OST), you see on Robotnik's fuse panel after the power goes out that there's a fuse for "Badniks" (which is what his robots are called in the Genesis games), the magic teleportation rings work sorta like the special stage entrance rings in Sonic 1 and 3, in the hotel scene where Sonic is running around doing multiple things at once, one of his after-images in the upper corner is doing his arm-swinging standing-on-a-ledge animation from the Genesis games, the finale in San Francisco is due to Sonic Adventure 2 taking place in a San Francisco clone, which itself is due to Sonic Team relocating to that city before development of that game, the bit where Sonic gets hit on the side of the building and then drops his rings and they go plingy-plingy-pling all over the ground, the shoes hell yeah, in a blink-and-you-miss-it bit in the kitchen he says "gotta go fast" which is one of the memes... um.. what else?

Anyway yeah. Lots of clever references. And you're not alone in being shocked about the movie's quality. Fans were, too! It was bounced around from studio to studio for years, with each one making the filmmakers strip more and more game stuff out of the script. The director (I think, or maybe the writer) has said in interviews that the first scripts already had Tails and a story that revolved around the games' primary macguffin: the Chaos Emeralds. But the studios kept saying it was too difficult a story for normal audiences to relate to, which is why the story ended up being the sorta generic real-people-with-a-CGI-animal-buddy that we got. So a lot of fans were expecting something mediocre at best, like Smurfs or Alvin and the Chipmunks. But it was saved by the fact that the director and writer were fans, Ben Schwartz (the voice of Sonic) is a fan (he's actually been playing through SNES and Genesis games on Twitter and was doing Twitch playthroughs of the Genesis games during the press cycle), Jim Carrey's grandkids are fans, and Jim said he actually plays the games with them and was familiar with the characters already. The studios made it to where the script had to play it safe, but then the people producing the movie actually cared, which is why they crammed so many legit references into the background.

But then, the trailer. The first Sonic design. The backlash. And even with THAT they did a fan-pleasing thing: they brought in Tyson Hesse, a popular Sonic fan artist -turned ACTUAL professional Sonic artist (he led the design and animation for the opening for Sonic Mania and does cover art for the official comic books and some other official art for Sega) to redesign Sonic. Literally the TOP guy the fans woulda picked to lead the character design for the movie, they went and got him after the backlash (and brought him back for the sequel). We also know from some of the CGI artists who worked on the film that the beginning sequence (pre-redesign) was a more generic-realistic forest land, and the bad guys who were after Sonic's power were some wonky realistic lizard people. So after the backlash when they redesigned Sonic to be game-accurate, they ALSO redesigned his home to look like the game. They trash-binned the lizards and brought in the echidnas. The movie was filmed, they couldn't re-film it and change the story, but they could change the CGI parts. And now that they had heard the cries for a more game-accurate movie, they delayed the release and changed what they could to try and get the goodwill back. It was amazing that they went so far as to do that. And it worked. The story might not have been game-accurate, but it was still obviously made with care, and fans turned up and made the movie a success.

And that's why we're getting not just a sequel, but the type of sequel that we're getting: because the fans said "we want a game-faithful adaptation" and then turned up at the box office when the studio reaponded. So now for the second outing the studio let the filmmakers go wild from the beginning. This sequel is basically the movie the writer and director initially envisioned years ago: with Tails and Knuckles, with the Chaos Emeralds, with Robotnik making bigass moustachioed robots. There are already countless game references just in the trailers this time (several of which aren't simply little references but are actually scenes lifted directly from some of the games), and early buzz from the press screenings say there are even more surprises in the movie that they haven't shown yet. So it's gonna be rad. They've already greenlit a third film and a Paramount Plus spin-off series starring Knuckles, so this could be a whole thing.

Oh and the games are good, play the games. 🤣 The early ones at least are easy to recommend. Sonic Origins is coming out this year which collects all the Genesis games (including the awesome Sonic CD), and you're on the right track looking at Generations, Mania, and Colors for the more modern releases (I'd add Sonic Adventure to the list, but it does show its age with wonky camera and some glitches, but its ambition really shows and it's so charming). Sonic Unleashed is a fantastic half-of-a-game (the Sonic bits are top-notch, the Werehog bits drag a little), Sonic Heroes is cute but not as good as Adventure, the only one to really outright avoid is Sonic '06, the 360/PS3 entry that was meant to be a reboot and was named simply "Sonic the Hedgehog." It was the game during which the original Sonic developers began butting heads with Sega and led to their departure, and it shows. It's bad enough that the official Sonic social media team even cracks jokes about it.

Okay my thumbs hurt, gonna quit for now. 😅 Glad you enjoyed the movie!!!

Also speaking of references I don't know if this:
tempsnip.png

was a reference to this:
Q-giJk.gif

but I sure as hell hope it was.

And he loved playing it and was looking forward to doing a trilogy which says a lot. He also picked the song for the lab scene
Yeah, Jim famously does not like doing sequels, but he was actively campaigning for a Sonic trilogy during the press for the first movie, saying he felt like there was so much more he could do with the character and that he wanted to take him into full megalomania over a long arc. That's such a change that I really look forward to seeing what he does going forward with that sort of passion.

90s Jim Carrey is back, yall!!!!! ❤️❤️❤️

And he loved playing it and was looking forward to doing a trilogy which says a lot. He also picked the song for the lab scene
That's really cool

It speaks volumes that the movie ended up being better than it had any right to be because the people involved actually gave a damn. If only more people making big live action adaptations understood this

I really liked how they came up with an organic moment for Sonic to refer to Robotnik as Eggman.

I genuinely think this is an aspect of the movie that doesn't get enough attention. Sonic referring to Robotnik as Eggman isn't just an insult, it's part of a habit that Sonic has picked up in his time on Earth with nicknaming people from afar.

I dunno. I just found it a really clever touch that didn't need to be built as organically as it was.

I genuinely think this is an aspect of the movie that doesn't get enough attention. Sonic referring to Robotnik as Eggman isn't just an insult, it's part of a habit that Sonic has picked up in his time on Earth with nicknaming people from afar.

I dunno. I just found it a really clever touch that didn't need to be built as organically as it was.
Oh dang, I didn't even notice that 🤯

The movie is legitimately hilarious. The writing all around is great.

And another thing I love is that Robotnik is actually extremely competent in this. Like, he's still crazy and weird, but he's actually really good at what he does. He never foils himself, he only loses because Sonic is legit just OP

Thanks @chocolate_supra for the insights into the making of the film, the incredible deep cut references (I totally should have caught the Saturn logo planet and the idle animation just by osmosis!) and for the info on which games to check out. I think the ones I tried didn't really give me an accurate sense of the series. It's interesting though, when I read your post I was reminded that I tried a Dreamcast kiosk at a ...I want to say Target, and it was probably in 2000 or so. I'm sure I tried SA1 and I remember a beach-y level with a white loop-de-loop...I vaguely remember not having a good sense of what I was doing in the game, not the game's fault but once I kinda fell off the course I lost the thread of it and didn't know where to go. I may also have tried the SA2 demo if it was included on a GCN demo disc. Anyway, very interested to dive into the games I picked up, there was some footage of Generations running on XB that caught my eye last year and looked like a lot of fun.

Incidentally, last night we were driving and I saw a red Supra. I forgot that was a kind of car. Is that where your username comes from?

Thanks @chocolate_supra for the insights into the making of the film, the incredible deep cut references (I totally should have caught the Saturn logo planet and the idle animation just by osmosis!) and for the info on which games to check out. I think the ones I tried didn't really give me an accurate sense of the series. It's interesting though, when I read your post I was reminded that I tried a Dreamcast kiosk at a ...I want to say Target, and it was probably in 2000 or so. I'm sure I tried SA1 and I remember a beach-y level with a white loop-de-loop...I vaguely remember not having a good sense of what I was doing in the game, not the game's fault but once I kinda fell off the course I lost the thread of it and didn't know where to go. I may also have tried the SA2 demo if it was included on a GCN demo disc. Anyway, very interested to dive into the games I picked up, there was some footage of Generations running on XB that caught my eye last year and looked like a lot of fun.

Incidentally, last night we were driving and I saw a red Supra. I forgot that was a kind of car. Is that where your username comes from?
Yep, Emerald Coast from SA1 is the first level. If you get off track it can be a bit wonky to tell where you're supposed to go (again, camera control was not the best), but overall I think the level design was pretty solid and interesting considering it was Sonic Team's first full-3D game. It's wonky by today's standards but it was impressive for a first outing. And the music was awesome (but it's Sega so that sorta goes without saying).

And yepyep, I drove a Toyota Supra for almost a decade, back in the 2000s before they got stupid expensive. Always was and will be my favorite car so that's where my name came from. That and my love of chocolate. 😅

Lots of positivity in this thread. I’m sorry to spoil it.

This movie is so bad. Astonishingly bad. It honestly would have been better is Sonic was mute. He just would not shut up. The plot is insane, too - Sonic is on a road trip? Are you kidding me? Also all the product placement.. the movie is basically one long ad for Zillow and DoorDash.

Jim Carrey is the only redeeming thing about this garbage movie.

Also, lest we forget, Sonic does the floss dance. TWICE.

This movie is so bad. Astonishingly bad. It honestly would have been better is Sonic was mute. He just would not shut up. The plot is insane, too - Sonic is on a road trip? Are you kidding me? Also all the product placement.. the movie is basically one long ad for Zillow and DoorDash.

I agree with you about the flossing bit. What makes that hurt even more is during that exact moment and line in the trailer he was actually doing a dance that was more reminiscent of the stage-end victory dances he does in the games, but somewhere between the trailer and release the studio must've gone "DO THIS OTHER THING THAT'S POPULAR WITH THE KIDS" and that's unfortunate.

People who aren't raving edgelords 👀

I'm probably gonna piss people off with my Shadow takes, sorry. 😅

It's funny, I was trying to tell my spouse the little I know of Shadow. It's mostly the taking candy from a baby and OW the Edge stuff. There's a game, too, right? And it's not great?

It's funny, I was trying to tell my spouse the little I know of Shadow. It's mostly the taking candy from a baby and OW the Edge stuff. There's a game, too, right? And it's not great?
There is indeed a game. The developers admitted the game came from someone online saying "SEGA SHOULD GIVE SHADOW A GUN!!" and so they did it.

It was bad.

shadow the hedgehog was better than sonic 06 only because the load times from the latter meant you had to spend more time with it than the former

I loved his movie redesign, i think he looks better with blue arms tbh
I'm having a hard time finding it quickly, but didn't the devs confirm at some point that the only reason Sonic had tan arms was so you'd be able to see them against his body in the old Genesis spritework? Like when Miyamoto said the only reason Mario has a moustache is because sprite sizes at the time made it the easiest way to give his face some definition.

So yeah, the blue arms seemed weird to me at first because I'm so used to the tan, but I think the blue works. The only thing that trips me out is that his mouth is tan fur instead of just skin. 🤷‍♂️

You're entitled to your very wrong opinion. Also, what's so wrong about having a kid do a dance that I see kids do all the time?

I've seen a bunch of people begging Paramount to put Shadow in Sonic 3 and.. I mean... I really hope they don't 😅
I'll say this: Shadow at his best (re: Archie!Sonic comic ver., pre-reboot) was what I consider to be the most flattering take on the character. Was allowed to be much more well-rounded an individual finding his place in the world, with respect to how he was made, had his own supports with his own cast of chars.

The recent light story inserts to go along with the Sonic Channel monthly calendars are also pretty good.

So, why the current "mandates" force the IDW crew to keep Shadow firmly routed into CellArc!Vegeta levels of being an edgy jerkass with no friends is beyond me. But as a Knuckles fan enjoying his best life, with the most promising showing the character has gotten in DECADES? I'm all for the love being spread around.
That said, count me in on the "Metal Sonic" train for Sonic 3. Save Shadow for when we start to really dig into the Adventure era, and we can do all this right.

You're entitled to your very wrong opinion. Also, what's so wrong about having a kid do a dance that I see kids do all the time?
Agreed. Frankly, I was more off-put by the "fart joke", but as low brow as that was, it's also something a kid would do and find funny.

That said, count me in on the "Metal Sonic" train for Sonic 3. Save Shadow for when we start to really dig into the Adventure era, and we can do all this right.
Yes yes yes to Sonic 3 being about Metal. Like Robotnik becomes OBSESSED when he can't beat Sonic with machines made in his own image, so he makes his own Sonic instead. Then make Metal an actual character with Forky-levels of existential crisis and you have a whole-ass movie.

Agreed. Frankly, I was more off-put by the "fart joke", but as low brow as that was, it's also something a kid would do and find funny.
I saw the first one in a theater full of kids and sadly can confirm they lit up during the fart joke (and the flossing). Target audience and all that. 😅

Luckily the first reviews for the sequel are dropping this morning and while they're mostly mediocre, Sonic Stadium was far more complimentary and said this movie is much, MUCH more for longtime fans than the first. So as I had hoped, they uh.. shifted their target audience a bit with this one.

Yes yes yes to Sonic 3 being about Metal. Like Robotnik becomes OBSESSED when he can't beat Sonic with machines made in his own image, so he makes his own Sonic instead. Then make Metal an actual character with Forky-levels of existential crisis and you have a whole-ass movie.
Yep. Hell, the old OVA still has plenty of beats you could borrow from in this respect. I fully expect Movie!Metal Sonic to "die", so that Sonic could both face his first real "tragedy" as a hero, and also better set the stage for when he encounters his next lookalike some years later!

Luckily the first reviews for the sequel are dropping this morning and while they're mostly mediocre, Sonic Stadium was far more complimentary and said this movie is much, MUCH more for longtime fans than the first. So as I had hoped, they uh.. shifted their target audience a bit with this one.
It's pretty much going as I anticipated. The very things most critics are going to likely roll their eyes at are going to be the things fans are going to eat up, and will help prop this movie up.

Kids will just like it because it's all fun.

The thing about fart joke or flossing or whatever is that the movie doesn't linger on it. It's supposed to be that Sonic finds it funny, not the audience, and the humor is more in the way Tom reacts. Delivery is important, and they don't pause after the punchline for assumed laughs, they just keep talking

Bruh.

I'm really not sure if I should trust these reviews. Half of the complaints got me like "Yeah, this is Sonic. What did you expect?". Like the plot being cliche (despite the emeralds being in the games for years) or not enough of the human characters (when the movie is literally called Sonic the Hedgehog) or complaining that the world is at stake again (when again that's the whole point of Sonic). Like c'mon.

Bruh.

I'm really not sure if I should trust these reviews. Half of the complaints got me like "Yeah, this is Sonic. What did you expect?". Like the plot being cliche (despite the emeralds being in the games for years) or not enough of the human characters (when the movie is literally called Sonic the Hedgehog) or complaining that the world is at stake again (when again that's the whole point of Sonic). Like c'mon.

Oh FUCK that critic for shitting on Colleen. 😡😡😡 There's already enough of a stigma against professional voice actors in cinema (as opposed to hiring Hollywood stars to voice characters) without them using a studio's praiseworthy effort to bring one in as a negative point. Jesus. I reiterate, fuck that specific dude in particular.

I agree with you about the flossing bit. What makes that hurt even more is during that exact moment and line in the trailer he was actually doing a dance that was more reminiscent of the stage-end victory dances he does in the games, but somewhere between the trailer and release the studio must've gone "DO THIS OTHER THING THAT'S POPULAR WITH THE KIDS" and that's unfortunate.
Something people have to divorce from the games is that Sonic isn't a hardened 15 year old anymore. He's probably more closer to 12 in the movies. He's intentionally childish and less experienced. Him dancing one of the viral moves of other kids of the time isn't that crazy.

But I totally get why Sonic's naivete is an aspect of Sonic's character that didn't mesh well with people.

Something people have to divorce from the games is that Sonic isn't a hardened 15 year old anymore. He's probably more closer to 12 in the movies. He's intentionally childish and less experienced. Him dancing one of the viral moves of other kids of the time isn't that crazy.

But I totally get why Sonic's naivete is an aspect of Sonic's character that didn't mesh well with people.
Yeah, even Ben Schwartz said he was playing Sonic as a younger, more naive character. I'm hoping Tails pushes him to grow up a bit (seeing as how he's now in the big brother role instead of being the little brother to Tom), and allows for more of the sassy/cool Sonic we tend to envision.

Yeah, even Ben Schwartz said he was playing Sonic as a younger, more naive character. I'm hoping Tails pushes him to grow up a bit (seeing as how he's now in the big brother role instead of being the little brother to Tom), and allows for more of the sassy/cool Sonic we tend to envision.

And the idea should be that if Sonic wants to really be a hero, he'll have to "grow up" a bit and take responsibility. I just hope he doesn't grow up "too fast" in some rushed, inorganic manner of trying to make him resemble his mainstream counterpart too quickly. Compared to the games' "15 year old" who acts more akin to a worldly, 25 year old action hero vet, this Sonic who actually acts like a teen is refreshing!

But on the same note? I can't help but be interested in Tails' overall characterization here. Like, his usual deal is that he's a shy kid who's a fan of Sonic, starts following him and getting more confidence in himself along the way. Yet, this version of the little guy is already traipsing across the multiverse on his own, among other things.

He and Knuckles both could stand to have some nice alterations to make for more interesting character arcs in the movies, and the idea enthralls me to no end. Especially with what little we've gotten out of the "Pre-Quill" comic previews...

And the idea should be that if Sonic wants to really be a hero, he'll have to "grow up" a bit and take responsibility. I just hope he doesn't grow up "too fast" in some rushed, inorganic manner of trying to make him resemble his mainstream counterpart too quickly. Compared to the games' "15 year old" who acts more akin to a worldly, 25 year old action hero vet, this Sonic who actually acts like a teen is refreshing!
Yeah I'd be hoping they don't go straight to the game-style action hero Sonic and instead settle somewhere around Jaleel White's sassy/snarky lovable teenage punk (and if ANYONE can pull off a lovable jerk, it's Ben).

I haven't watched the first one.

Should I? It's not high on my list of priorities, but my bro wants me to watch it so he can take me with him to watch the second movie.

I haven't watched the first one.

Should I? It's not high on my list of priorities, but my bro wants me to watch it so he can take me with him to watch the second movie.
ummmmmmmmmm
maybe?
Because of the apparent left-turn toward more game lore, it's tough to say how much the sequel will depend on the story from the first movie. If you're really on the fence and strapped for time you could watch one of those "first 10 minutes of" clips on YouTube and catch up on the movie's version of Sonic's backstory. The movie is more Robotnik's origin story, really. Otherwise, I'd say it's worth a watch just to see what the fuss was about and to bask in the glory of Jim Carrey's return to form.

Edit: flubbed a very important descriptive word 😅

Last edited:
ummmmmmmmmm
maybe?
Because of the apparent left-turn toward more game lore, it's tough to say how much the sequel will depend on the story from the first game. If you're really on the fence and strapped for time you could watch one of those "first 10 minutes of" clips on YouTube and catch up on the movie's version of Sonic's backstory. The movie is more Robotnik's origin story, really. Otherwise, I'd say it's worth a watch just to see what the fuss was about and to bask in the glory of Jim Carrey's return to form.
Ah, a Dr. Eggman (should I say Robotnik just to make myself sound smarter?) origin story sounds neat.

Ah, a Dr. Eggman (should I say Robotnik just to make myself sound smarter?) origin story sounds neat.
Ya know, by now it's all so mixed up now that I don't know which name would have more "well aCkShUaLlY" vibes. 😅

But yeah, I was just watching a recent interview with the director regarding Sonic 2 and even at this point he says he regards the first movie as sort of an origin story for Robotnik, which is why he doesn't look like his game counterpart right off the bat. They wanted his look to evolve as he went from "military tech contractor" to "actual batshit public threat."

Back
Top Bottom