• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Sonic Movie 3 - First official set photo with a peak at Shadow - releasing December 20, 2024

Is there gonna be more after this or are they putting it on ice for a while? Probably at the very least the last Robotnik-focused one, yeah?
One of the producers already said that the &Knuckles series is the first of an expansion where they have smaller projects putting a spotlight on side characters and lore, then bringing them all back together for each Sonic movie to be something of an Avengers-level movie. Which, depending on how it's handled might sound kinda not great but to your question it definitely sounds like this is far from the last Sonic movie. They seem to wanna go full steam ahead from here.

Could have his protégé take over or something
Oooooh having Lee Majdoub take Stone into Evil Territory would be a blast I'd bet. Even if he's not a "game" villain, the comics are a great example of how expanded media have succeeded in creating fan-favorite characters that are absent in the games. Hell, one of the mobile games brought in Tangle and Whisper after they exploded in popularity. I'd love to see Stone elevated to a major franchise character. Lee is wholesome as fuck and really loves what he's doing so ❤️

Also there was that rumor about them talking with Aubrey Plaza about coming into a villain role if Jim Carrey left, which.. damn, imagine if they let her just be Aubrey Plaza the same way they let Jim Carrey just be Jim Carrey. Could be so much fun.

I do think Stone would make an excellent Eggman replacement for a potential SA1 adaptation. Stone in rage unleashes Chaos from the Master Emerald to avenge the loss of Eggman.

I do think Stone would make an excellent Eggman replacement for a potential SA1 adaptation. Stone in rage unleashes Chaos from the Master Emerald to avenge the loss of Eggman.
YES. That's the thing about the later Sonic games, is Robotnik becomes almost a secondary villain. He just unleashes the big thing that ends up being the real threat. And Chaos is a great example of that.

Stone trying to follow in Robotnik's footsteps only to unleash ancient kaiju that he quickly loses control of ain't a bad way to continue the series. Hell, Stone might even be able to pull off building Metal Sonic. I still want a movie version of Metal Sonic.

YES. That's the thing about the later Sonic games, is Robotnik becomes almost a secondary villain. He just unleashes the big thing that ends up being the real threat. And Chaos is a great example of that.

Stone trying to follow in Robotnik's footsteps only to unleash ancient kaiju that he quickly loses control of ain't a bad way to continue the series. Hell, Stone might even be able to pull off building Metal Sonic. I still want a movie version of Metal Sonic.
Yeah, we have to see it play it out in the movies fully, but the "Inter-quill" comic already laid the groundwork for Stone basically adapting Robotnik's way of thinking and technical know-how for himself. Letting him further evolve and graduate into "Eggman II", or whatever, would just be all the more fitting. He's like a Snively that's much more earnest and less backstab-y about it!

Speaking of which...what I considered the greatest strength of Archie Sonic (at its non-Penders best) was building up a number of various other threats to give Sonic and company pause, and even letting Eggman take a seat while those villains took center stage. If any other Sonic media is primed to do similar, I'd definitely say the Movie-series is just that.

Maybe introducing the likes of the Battle Cuckoo empire and Babylonians isn't so far off a dream, considering some civilization of space alien birds already exists in this setting, for example.

If this is true then it explains one of my biggest gripes with the movies so far:

And hopefully it's an issue Sonic 3 can sidestep since Crush 40 are reportedly very slightly involved 👀

I wonder what the chances are they just play a straight rip of Live And Learn from 2001 in the movie. Has the song ever been officially remixed?

I wonder what the chances are they just play a straight rip of Live And Learn from 2001 in the movie. Has the song ever been officially remixed?
Depends on whether you consider the symphony-backed arrangement from the tour to be a remix.

Honestly that wouldn't be a bad version for a movie.

Just plopping this here in case yall haven't heard it yet:

Like I'm sure they'd re-record it but this ain't a bad way to go about doing a "movie version" of Live and Learn.

If this is true then it explains one of my biggest gripes with the movies so far:

And hopefully it's an issue Sonic 3 can sidestep since Crush 40 are reportedly very slightly involved 👀

So, they couldn't use it for legal reasons, but they did anyway? Thanks TV Tropes, excellent info, makes perfect sense. (y)

As bad as Sega is about creating legal issues for themselves with this series, I'm pretty sure they do own most of the Sonic music after the first two games, so there should have been no shortage of recognizable material to work with if they actually wanted to commit to it. I'd also be surprised if this was a real problem to begin with, that music still gets used constantly in all sorts of things, they just have to pay the guy. They don't bother doing it for everything, but it doesn't seem hard. Green Hill Zone is in Mania, it's in Smash, pretty sure it was in the concerts. This isn't Sonic 3. The real reason is probably that it's a Hollywood film and it was never going to embrace or respect video game music to a greater extent than the kinds of little nods that were in the Hollywood-ized Mario movie score. Even that was going pretty far. The interview with the composer they linked shows exactly what I mean, he wanted to do a Yamaha soundtrack and the studio pushed for orchestra instead because movie scores use orchestras.

So, they couldn't use it for legal reasons, but they did anyway? Thanks TV Tropes, excellent info, makes perfect sense. (y)
From what I was reading other places, the composer wanted to use GHZ as a motif throughout the whole soundtrack and Nakamura wouldn't agree to it, so they used John Batiste's cover of it which Batiste had already released himself. I think it exploited some sort of loophole since it was a cover. 🤷

WTF

I was starting to see good buzz about this show but then this 😅

I wonder if they would have been better off making this a movie for streaming as opposed to a series, if only to give Knux more screen time.

I know some people (wrongly :p) don't have an issue with things like the wedding in the second movie, but the humans really shouldn't be the draw here.

Ah well, still seems to be reviewing decently at least.

There in lies the problem of having a live-action TV show with animated characters. Cheaper to film the human than modeling/animating/rendering the scenes with the characters.
Yeah they had a perfect opportunity to introduce Rouge as the villain here and instead they basically rehashed the 2nd string baddies from Spiderman Homecoming

As bad as Sega is about creating legal issues for themselves with this series, I'm pretty sure they do own most of the Sonic music after the first two games, so there should have been no shortage of recognizable material to work with if they actually wanted to commit to it. I'd also be surprised if this was a real problem to begin with, that music still gets used constantly in all sorts of things, they just have to pay the guy. They don't bother doing it for everything, but it doesn't seem hard. Green Hill Zone is in Mania, it's in Smash, pretty sure it was in the concerts. This isn't Sonic 3. The real reason is probably that it's a Hollywood film and it was never going to embrace or respect video game music to a greater extent than the kinds of little nods that were in the Hollywood-ized Mario movie score. Even that was going pretty far. The interview with the composer they linked shows exactly what I mean, he wanted to do a Yamaha soundtrack and the studio pushed for orchestra instead because movie scores use orchestras.
most video game adaptations either embrace the game's soundtrack (mario, fallout, tlou, edgerunners), they're series who have unremarkable music in the first place (twisted metal, arcane, mortal kombat) or they're the dogshit halo show

the most likely issue with sonic's soundtrack is that junkie xl is just kinda a cruddy composer with fury road being his real exception

There in lies the problem of having a live-action TV show with animated characters. Cheaper to film the human than modeling/animating/rendering the scenes with the characters.
there are streaming shows that have a lot of cgi entities interacting with live action actors
ofcourse almost bankrupt paramount probably cant afford a loss on a failed one season show like netflix can.
but its weird from the people like defending the show as if they are paramount shareholders if your not its ok to be disappointed the show does not introduce rouge and/or the chaotix and adapt a non eggman villain from the games or comic that isn't oc humans.

there are streaming shows that have a lot of cgi entities interacting with live action actors
ofcourse almost bankrupt paramount probably cant afford a loss on a failed one season show like netflix can.
but its weird from the people like defending the show as if they are paramount shareholders if your not its ok to be disappointed the show does not introduce rouge and/or the chaotix and adapt a non eggman villain from the games or comic that isn't oc humans.
omg if the Knuckles series had literally just been Chaotix 😮

Is there any reason you had to include your response to me in the same paragraph you rag on defenders as shareholders? As if you're not messaging it in a way to label me as one.

With Mufasa (a movie releasing the same week as Sonic 3) getting a trailer tomorrow, and the rumor from a reliable trailer leaker that we could get something sonic 3-related before the opening of IF in US theaters, very excited to hopefully finally see what this movie looks like.

My personal hope is that Amy is present alongside Shadow in the movie (and the trailer, since they most likely would market a character like that being in it), much like Tails was an addition alongside Knuckles in movie 2. Maybe Rouge will make it in, altho I'm not exactly sure if the studio is completely fine with her, if she'd make the movie go overbudget as a third new addition, or if the screenwriters don't feel up to the task of juggling so many characters in one movie while giving them meaningful roles and arcs.

With Mufasa (a movie releasing the same week as Sonic 3) getting a trailer tomorrow, and the rumor from a reliable trailer leaker that we could get something sonic 3-related before the opening of IF in US theaters, very excited to hopefully finally see what this movie looks like.
Oh? I was figuring we wouldn't see a trailer till SGF, since Ben Schwartz went over so well introducing the trailer for Sonic 2 at TGA. But either way hell yeah, the sooner we catch a glimpse the better.

My personal hope is that Amy is present alongside Shadow in the movie (and the trailer, since they most likely would market a character like that being in it), much like Tails was an addition alongside Knuckles in movie 2. Maybe Rouge will make it in, altho I'm not exactly sure if the studio is completely fine with her, if she'd make the movie go overbudget as a third new addition, or if the screenwriters don't feel up to the task of juggling so many characters in one movie while giving them meaningful roles and arcs.
Rouge shoulda been in the Knuckles series 😤

Oh? I was figuring we wouldn't see a trailer till SGF, since Ben Schwartz went over so well introducing the trailer for Sonic 2 at TGA. But either way hell yeah, the sooner we catch a glimpse the better.

Rouge shoulda been in the Knuckles series 😤
I've not actually seen the Knuckles series but it's interesting because I think some interesting lore implications have been exposed on Twitter coming from it.
Like the fact Shadow may have crashed on Earth 50 years ago in the movie canon as well as Knuckles mastering the Flames of Disaster/defeating Iblis and potentially being the Iblis trigger in the movie-verse?

Like the fact Shadow may have crashed on Earth 50 years ago in the movie canon as well as Knuckles mastering the Flames of Disaster/defeating Iblis and potentially being the Iblis trigger in the movie-verse?
. . . wtf

in hindsight I know what you're talking about but I thought Iblis was just a fun reference and the "alien from 50 years ago" was a throwaway line but damn, you might be right.

The real reason is probably that it's a Hollywood film and it was never going to embrace or respect video game music to a greater extent than the kinds of little nods that were in the Hollywood-ized Mario movie score. Even that was going pretty far.
The Mario score went way further than just little nods! That score was excellent with respect to its video game roots. Unless I'm reading your comment wrong.

Back
Top Bottom