• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion So who is the dev team behind Untitled Peach Game?

My money is on Next Level Games but it's really just wild mass guessing until we see more than a couple seconds of gameplay, imho.

Purely vibes-based speculation, I'm thinking the Peach game is the Like A Dragon to Paper Mario's Yakuza. A 2024 release would align with Paper Mario's typical development cycle, and Game Informer seems to think that it looks like a Mario RPG. Would mean one less developer doing a Marioverse game in a Mario-heavy stretch and would let Int Sys sidestep the current grievances with Paper Mario by letting them shift more towards the adventure game elements.

Well I think it can be Next Level Games. They did make the best selling spin off Mario game without Mario in the title ever(Luigi's Mansion 3). I wouldn't be against them making this. They'd be given the opportunity to work on a completely different genre and basically made a "new IP" with this Peach game.

My first thought based on the Peach character model and the seeming, front-on largely fixed camera was that it's actually from Next Level Games. It's an attractive looking game, and Luigi's Mansion 3 remains one of the best looking games on Switch. If it's an adventure game, too, then NLG have form there with the puzzle/exploration focus of the Mansion series. But I feel like the visuals also remind me of another developer mentioned below.

I initially also wondered if it was Good-Feel, but that was when I assumed this was a side scroller, which it isn't, so I'd discount them. The other potential developer I'd put forward at this point is NST, who've been expanding in the last couple of years and have spent a lot of time on the broader Mario franchise: development work on Bowser's Fury and the Mario vs DK series, plus handling Super Mario Maker 3DS and the Captain Toad ports. I'm not sure yet if they'd be making a game of their own again, though.

After seeing the suggestion, I'm increasingly inclined to think Intelligent Systems could be working on this with EPD, like their work on Paper Mario and WarioWare. Some of the theatre style environment really reminded me of their work on Origami King, and the Paper Mario series has really moved towards the adventure genre. We've also had recurrent rumours of a Paper Mario remaster, which hasn't yet popped up this year and likely won't appear until after Super Mario RPG. If that Paper Mario remaster is real, then it may well launch in 2024 to keep the series on its regular schedule, and the Paper Mario remaster may exist because the main Paper Mario team have created this game instead.

(Edit - in case you can't tell, I really like this little mystery. I'd put Intelligent Systems and Next Level Games as the front runners, with NST the dark horse)

Purely vibes-based speculation, I'm thinking the Peach game is the Like A Dragon to Paper Mario's Yakuza. A 2024 release would align with Paper Mario's typical development cycle, and Game Informer seems to think that it looks like a Mario RPG. Would mean one less developer doing a Marioverse game in a Mario-heavy stretch and would let Int Sys sidestep the current grievances with Paper Mario by letting them shift more towards the adventure game elements.

Do you mean Like a Dragon Gaiden? Yakuza is just the western name for the Like a Dragon franchise.

Do you mean Like a Dragon Gaiden? Yakuza is just the western name for the Like a Dragon franchise.
Probably means Yakuza 7: Like A Dragon vs Yakuza 0-6
7 went turn-based RPG with a new setting and new protagonist following after a series of games with beat'm'up-like combat

since Next Level Games and Good Feel have been mentioned I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring with a wild card : Camelot Software

Retro Studios. And soon, a YouTube video is uploaded... a development update on Metroid Prime 4 for Nintendo Switch...

I wonder. Since Engage was internal (not everybody), I would assume FE4 is also internal no? Plus they probably had a hand in the new WarioWare. That would be a very busy schedule for IS.
It's not unusual for Intelligent Systems to be busy on multiple projects and they do work with EPD on WarioWare and Paper Mario. Plus, Origami King and Get It Together both wrapped up development in 2020 (Get It Together must've been content complete around September 2020, given it passed the German ratings agency then), which means IS have had plenty of time to work on further games. We also know that Fire Emblem Engage was content complete in late 2021, so it's plausible the bulk of IS staff have been free to work on other projects in the last 18 months and we know they're an efficient studio. The final thing I'd point out is that Koei-Tecmo could easily be on hand to either assist or do heavy lifting with Fire Emblem again, given how successful Three Houses was.

We'd expect new Paper Mario for 2024. A question I had was why a remaster would be in the works, and what that meant for IS's other projects. Maybe that remaster - if it exists - exists because of this Peach game, which is the new project from the brains behind Paper Mario.

I think it's NLG. The Peach model and her face looks very similar to the one in Luigi's Mansion 3 and Strikers.

Intelligent Systems about to enter beast mode and launch Princess Peach Game (Working Title), Fire Emblem The Big Old Holy War Remake, and Paper Mario Fans Please Be Quiet HD Mostly Outsourced Remaster in 2024.

this is mostly a joke... unless it comes true

What was the situation with NLG and staff overlap between Luigi's Mansion 3 and Strikers? Wasn't there some suggestion that another project was likely being prototyped while Strikers was in the works?

Quoted by: N75
What was the situation with NLG and staff overlap between Luigi's Mansion 3 and Strikers? Wasn't there some suggestion that another project was likely being prototyped while Strikers was in the works?
Not sure if you’re referring to my post, but:

I think most of NLG worked on Battle League. It just doesn't look like that because there were a lot of contractors on Luigi's Mansion 3 that had already left at that point.

The only real indication that they've been working on another project even before Battle League is that Bryce Holliday and a handful of other designers were only credited under "Additional Work" despite apparently still working there. Akiya Sakamoto from EPD 6 wasn't credited either, despite working on every other NLG title published by Nintendo.

I guess it isn't dissimilar to Luigi's Mansion 3 being in pre-production since the Wii U days. Whatever they're working on now probably didn't begin full production until the latter half of last year.
Could by NLG based on how little was shown. I think they’re working on LM2 HD at the very least.

This feels like a next level game to me. Probably a bad pill to swallow for the punch out fanbase and the Mario universe spinoff hate brigade but I think next level seems like the most likely choice.

Not sure if you’re referring to my post, but:

Could by NLG based on how little was shown. I think they’re working on LM2 HD at the very least.
I just had fuzzy memories of discussions around Strikers and NLG staff distribution but that's helpful! I'd guess if it turns out to be NLG then it's likely still a year away at least. A 2 year turn around after Strikers would be pretty quick, though we know so little about the game that we can't guess at scope/scale either.

Funny parallels between Int Sys and NLG as potential developers:

• Peach game would be a 'replacement' for another Super Mario spin-off franchise in both cases (Paper Mario or Luigi's Mansion)
  • HD remasters might happen as stop gaps in both cases with Luigi's Mansion 2 HD already confirmed and Paper Mario heavily rumoured
  • Kensuke Tanabe could be producer in either case given his relationship with NLG and his role in Paper Mario

This is fun but I really should sleep now.

230621125643-02-princess-peach-new-nintendo-switch-game-teaser-screenshot.jpg

sc_2023-02-03_15_32_13.png

1687358922783.png

FXZD2N2XkAIXgIm.jpg

Intelligent Systems, I thought it was the new Paper Mario (Peach) game, until I rewatched it and realised there was no paper. The still gives me super strong Oragami King vibes graphically, even without the paper aesthetic.

Y'all have thoroughly convinced me it's an Intelligent Systems venture.

It's sooo very them.

Next Level Games 2-1
Intelligent Systems 3-1
Good Feel 10-1
Nintendo EAD 15-1
Camelot 30-1
Retro Studios 50-1
Naughty Dog- 10,000-1

True, OK was 2020. But man IS have been busy then. Good for them to try other things.
Not more busy than other times? They allways had Paper Mario, Wario Ware and Fire Emblem as their pillars and manged the three series very well at the same time. If this game is the Paper Mario replacement for 2024, there would be no extra work.

It could be Next Level Games but the only reason I'm doubting it is they shipped Mario Strikers last year. Not saying it's impossible that Nintendo started expanding the studio as soon as they bought them in 2021 so that they could work on more projects. But I'm not confident in that. All that being said I'll choose the unlikely answer of them partnering with a new dev studio for this and I say this because I can't figure out which of the usual suspects would be doing this.

Aren't they doing the Luigi's Mansion 2 port?
NLG haven't traditionally done ports for Nintendo.

I would guess that Grezzo is doing the LM2 port
All Mario Sports games are cancelled at Camelot for work on Golden Sun 3 and the new Peach game.

Well, if you want them to go the way of Alphadream, that's certainly the most expedient way to go about it.

Any reason why it can't be internal?

Either that, nlg or intelligent systems seem like the most likely
From the aesthetic of the game, it doesn't look like something EPD would be making in-house. The look and feel tells me this is an out-house project.

I'm going to go on a limb and say it's ToyBox. It certainly has that "cheapness" feel to it that their other games have.

EPD or IntSys. Not getting a NLG vibe.

EDIT: I watched it again and the enemies have a 3D World feel. That's where I'm leaning but who knows.

After the masterpiece that is Luigi’s Mansion 3, Next-Level Games potentially being the developer of this has me excited.

Back
Top Bottom