• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Previews SMT V Previews

Curious question, SMTV is sub native in handheld mode but how sub native are we talking about? Because, if it's like Bravely Default 2 which looked amazing in handheld despite being sub native, I'll be satisfied.

Curious question, SMTV is sub native in handheld mode but how sub native are we talking about? Because, if it's like Bravely Default 2 which looked amazing in handheld despite being sub native, I'll be satisfied.
From what was said it looks better than Xenoblade did on handheld and slightly worse than DQ 11 S.

I think Bravely Default (Also on Unreal Engine 4) looked slightly worse than DQ 11 S. So I think you should be fine.

From what was said it looks better than Xenoblade did on handheld and slightly worse than DQ 11 S.

I think Bravely Default (Also on Unreal Engine 4) looked slightly worse than DQ 11 S. So I think you should be fine.
That sounds promising then.

Previews didn't mention this but I hope later stages of the game has different environments, just apocalyptic Tokyo would be boring. SMT4 and 4A had wide variety of settings but the dungeon design sucked.
I think my only real problem with the dungeon design was the final dungeon in 4A. The penultimate one, The Egg, was pretty fun, but the final one was a really generic and uninspired ‘floating geometric platforms’ one combined with teleporter maze and being ridiculously long. I don’t mind any one of those in isolation, but all three combined made it such a slog. Combined with a lack of new demons that could be recruited too. Probably my least favourite part of any SMT game I’ve played.

I've literally never played a SMT game in my life and know very little about it, but this looks kinda neat. Will I be able to jump straight into V or am I better off jumping in somewhere earlier in the series? I have a 3DS still so could potentially grab earlier games if it would help.

I've literally never played a SMT game in my life and know very little about it, but this looks kinda neat. Will I be able to jump straight into V or am I better off jumping in somewhere earlier in the series? I have a 3DS still so could potentially grab earlier games if it would help.
The games are largely standalone, you’ll be fine. There probably won’t be a better jumping on point. They are all pretty easy to get into (in terms of story rather than difficulty) and start you off as a character that doesnt understand what’s going on, so exposition gets you naturally up to speed and the element of trial and error fits perfectly with the characters where their world has usually just been turned upside down.

You could try Nocturne, but at this point I’d dive in with SMTV as it’s what people will be talking about and so help will be plentiful, and you’ll be in the same boat as many others. :)

If you have a 3DS it’s worth checking to see if the games are on sale digitally (SMTIV/IV:A), but physical copies are quite expensive.

If you want to get into the series buy V first: easier to get, it has all the quality of life improvements older entries don't have, and it looks more modern.

Then if you're invested in the series get some of the old ones and on 3DS you have some amazing options.

- Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, remake of a Saturn game, it's about 90s cyberpunk, loved the characters in this one and it is shorter than other entries (20-30 hours).

- SMT IV, very cool premise, you start off as a Samurai in a feudal kingdom. Try to go as blind as possible with this one. There are some big plot twists early on.

- Devil Survivor Overclocked, SRPG more similar to Fire Emblem about surviving a lockdown.

- Strange Journey Redux, set in Antartica, gameplay is pure dungeon crawling, similar to the Etrian Odyssey games.

Last edited:

All the SMT get on sale on the 3DD eShop very often, they were really cheap a couple weeks ago when I checked.

Since we're so close to SMTV I think you should probably just wait and play that first, but the 3DS has lots of great games in the series (beware of Soul Hackers though, even as a fan I didn't like that one, but it has its audience).

SMT Nocturne is also amazing (still my favorite) and you can play the remaster on the Switch.

To really prepare for SMT V though you need to play Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore, available on the Nintendo Switch family of systems.

I would unironically recommend that before Nocturne.

It's just the premise of Nocturne and V might seem similar (Vortex Vs Da'at, Demifiend Vs Nahobino, etc.) a newcomer might think the series is that formulaic which is really not, they usually go for different angles in each game.

If you want to get into the series buy V first: easier to get, it has all the quality of life improvements older entries don't have, and it looks more modern.

Then if you're invested in the series get some of the old ones and on 3DS you have some amazing options.

- Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers, remake of a Saturn game, it's about 90s cyberpunk, loved the characters in this one and it is shorter than other entries (20-30 hours).

- SMT IV, very cool premise, you start off as a Samurai in a feudal kingdom. Try to go as blind as possible with this one. There are some big plot twists early on.

- Devil Survivor Overclocked, SRPG more similar to Fire Emblem about surviving a lockdown.

- Strange Journey Redux, set in Antartica, gameplay is pure dungeon crawling, similar to the Etrian Odyssey games.

Thanks! I really know next to nothing about this series - always passed me by for some reason . I should probably do some reading up on the series. By the sounds of things the games seem fairly standalone in terms of backstory and characters etc. I guess I'll buy V and take it from there.

To really prepare for SMT V though you need to play Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore, available on the Nintendo Switch family of systems.

One of the few former Wii U exclusives I don't have. I still have a few physical games to get through on Switch but I'll stick that one on my "to buy" list.

One of the few former Wii U exclusives I don't have. I still have a few physical games to get through on Switch but I'll stick that one on my "to buy" list.

It had the most important addition of any Wii U port - Tsubasa can now wear glasses!

I've played #FE (finished the game in 72.5h with a lvl 62/59/59 party) without much difficulty, except for the final boss which took me 26 rounds to beat. How prepared am I for something like SMTV? 😅

I've played #FE (finished the game in 72.5h with a lvl 62/59/59 party) without much difficulty, except for the final boss which took me 26 rounds to beat. How prepared am I for something like SMTV? 😅

SMT is probably a little bit more difficult.

I can't wait for this game, hopefully it will dethrone Dread as my GOTY! Just to have two back-to-back experiences like that

Normal is pretty easy I thought so I went back and changed to Hard for #FE and it felt pretty challenging at times, especially at the end. Sounds from the previews like SMT5 will be challenging, as is the usual for mainline SMT. Not that's necessarily a bad thing, challenge is fun to me. The latest SMT, SMTIV: Apocalypse has some amazing boss battles that challenge you and get you to think strategically. If you play JRPGs a fair bit you'll probably be okay.

Hearing amazing late-game impressions from someone covering it, game is bonkers. Can't wait to play!
can you link to these impressions out of curiosity? I definitely want to hear more

maybe there's a twist where you don't kill your friends. maybe you all just hang out, talk about your problems together, get a part time job, attend schoole, and blackmail your teacher to have sex with you
Hey everyone, it's the Polygon writer! Get'em!!

maybe there's a twist where you don't kill your friends. maybe you all just hang out, talk about your problems together, get a part time job, attend schoole, and blackmail your teacher to have sex with you
We never see that coming.

One hell of a plot twist.

Yeah Switch is a great RPG machine at this point, there are so many quality releases

The Switch was announced with Skyrim, Octopath Traveler, SMT5, and Xenoblade 2 (with Fire Emblem Three Houses being announced two days later), it was always destined to be a great RPG machine lol

Befriend and date god

The main thing I want to know now before release is just the new PV this week and if there are any completely new fuseable demons that we have not seen yet. Reviewers and people with early copies are probably not allowed to say but I wanna know if there are any more new demons so bad lol

The main thing I want to know now before release is just the new PV this week and if there are any completely new fuseable demons that we have not seen yet. Reviewers and people with early copies are probably not allowed to say but I wanna know if there are any more new demons so bad lol
I both really want to know this, but also kind of don't? Especially if it might veer into story spoiler territory

I both really want to know this, but also kind of don't? Especially if it might veer into story spoiler territory
I don't even want to know the demons if they are story relevant, I'd be happy with a yes or no and a number if yes honestly lol, any more than that would probably be too much

I know there are some people who asked this question before so

Mild world and environment spoilers

[Hidden content]
I mean we've seen them in trailers so I assumed that was the case lol, but nice to have it confirmed

I know there are some people who asked this question before so

Mild world and environment spoilers

[Hidden content]

Tbh people worrying about that haven't really seen the trailers from Atlus because they have shown non-desert areas lol.

I have posted gifs from trailers over that.

I dabbled with the remaster of SMT 3 (got as far as the Matador boss fight and was completely destroyed in the first turn. Haven't gone back to it since) but this will be my first full playthrough of any of game in the Shin Megami universe.

As someone who is fairly unfamiliar / not great with turn based RPG's I'm not sure if I should start with Casual with this one, since it seems to be quite challenging on normal. I even found several of the Gym fights in Sword and Shield pretty challenging ( it was the first full Pokemon game I played.)

I dabbled with the remaster of SMT 3 (got as far as the Matador boss fight and was completely destroyed in the first turn. Haven't gone back to it since) but this will be my first full playthrough of any of game in the Shin Megami universe.

As someone who is fairly unfamiliar / not great with turn based RPG's I'm not sure if I should start with Casual with this one, since it seems to be quite challenging on normal. I even found several of the Gym fights in Sword and Shield pretty challenging ( it was the first full Pokemon game I played.)
Definitely start on Casual, and don't feel bad about knocking it down to Safety if you have to. Even on Casual, this game slaps you back if you get careless (I'm playing on Normal, but I switched down to Casual for a boss I was having trouble with and I still struggled for a bit until I started paying full attention lol).

Definitely start on Casual, and don't feel bad about knocking it down to Safety if you have to. Even on Casual, this game slaps you back if you get careless (I'm playing on Normal, but I switched down to Casual for a boss I was having trouble with and I still struggled for a bit until I started paying full attention lol).

Sounds good. I don't really have any qualms about playing at a lower difficulty.

Dont be afraid to ask for help if you're stuck in a boss. There are always strategies to get around them, and sometimes all you need is to fuse a new demon with a particular skill. Nothing in the game should be a wall that requires you to brute force it, you just have to rethink your strategy.

What did you dislike about TMS? The trash story and characters? Or the combat and dungeon crawling?
The setting and music was kinda endearing in a weebo way, but the characters were lame. I found the combat kind of interesting from what I remember and the first dungeon that I went into just seemed kind of empty. I only gave it like 5 hours max.

If I found Tokyo Mirage Sessions boring am I likely to feel the same way about this game?

I'd argue that TMS#FE is more Persona-lite than SMT-lite. They should be different enough for you to check out some reviews at least.

If there's a demo down the line, make sure to play it.

I'd argue that TMS#FE is more Persona-lite than SMT-lite. They should be different enough for you to check out some reviews at least.

If there's a demo down the line, make sure to play it.

That's a good shout, hopefully there will be a demo.

The setting and music was kinda endearing in a weebo way, but the characters were lame. I found the combat kind of interesting from what I remember and the first dungeon that I went into just seemed kind of empty. I only gave it like 5 hours max.
The dungeons in TMS are pretty good. Not sure if SMT V will be your cup of tea tbh. Don't buy it on day 1 and just wait for impressions and skim youtube walkthroughs.

Back
Top Bottom