• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Discussion Should Mercury Stream develops the next Castlevania game (Again)

No. I want them to be able to continue to work with a publisher who provides them the support + budget to create another masterpiece, not cut corners.

I wouldn't mind it, but having played the previous Mercury Steam games, I have to say without Nintendo their games had some kind of "jank".
Often felt unpolished or had annoying gameplay loops.

But oh my god, with Dread they created a masterpiece.
But I also want to see their take on another ip now. Why not a new Wario Land.

It would be cool to see them have another crack at *Castlevania*.

That said, I agree with the notions that they are almost for sure already underway with their next partnership title w/ Nintendo, or at least the *Dread* team is. (How many dev teams do they have, anyway?)

I actually hope its another series besides *Metroid* tho. Not because they didn't kill it with *Dread* but just because creatively it would be nice to see what else they are capable of. Meanwhile we have a healthy pipeline of *Metroid* coming our way the next couple years with the heavily-rumoured *Prime 1 Remake* next year and maybe even *Prime 4* the year after that. If we do get GBA Online next year as well, everybody gets to enjoy *Zero Mission* and *Fusion* as the cherry on top.

So they work to revive another franchise like a *Kid Icarus*, getting some breathing room after two straight *Metroid* titles. And thennnnn boom, *Metroid 6* (where we explore what happened to the animals from *Super Metroid*) on Switch 2.

Give Castlevania to WayForward or Team Ladybug....and tons of resources.

• I just don't see Nintendo shelling out money for Mercurysteam to make a metroidvania game with the Castlevania license that will sell a fraction of a new Metroid title when they could just make a new Metroid title with Mercurysteam without needing to pay for the licensing fees.
  • If for some reason they did do this, there is almost no way the Metroid leads at EPD would be involved and so you will basically have Mirror of Fate again.

If Nintendo were going to license the CV ip from Konami like they did with Momotato Dentetsu for the 3DS, I think it would be better to make a classic CV (Castlevania V?) in 16-bit + 2D graphics with Wayforward, Inti Creates, or some indie developer specializing in 2D. This way there is no "overlap" with Metroid.

Ngl I would want a new Castlevania game considering we haven't gotten one in ages.
I do, too, but I'd be more worried about how Konami treats Mercury than Nintendo.

I also would want it to be more like a mix of Classicvania and Igavania, something more akin to Circle, which doesn't seem as likely.

I want Mercury Steam to remaster Samus Returns for Switch, then get to work on Metroid 6 for the Switch successor.

Tbh I wouldn't mind seeing something like Lords of Shadow again... but in my eyes, they'd have to change it up quite a bit, LoS is definitely what you'd call a "product of its time". Then again, Nintendo already has a "character action" series in Bayonetta...

And speaking as a - at the time LoS first came out, HUGE - Gof of War fan, the 'whip play' in LoS never felt as satisfying as it did in its obvious inspiration.

I think a large part of how Metroid turned out was Nintendo overseeing development and giving pointers on how to make everything better. It wouldn't be the first time this happened either, we have seen it countless of times with different studios. So a new Castlevania game by MercurySteam may not be as good as Metroid Dread. However, any game they make with Nintendo will most likely be an excellent one and, hopefully, they make the next Metroid game. They can probably work in more than one game at a time too, but I am not sure their other projects have the quality of Dread, maybe it's also because Nintendo is very lenient with release dates, so if a game needs more polish they are willing to delay it so it can be as good as it can be, other publishers aren't so kind (I am looking at you Sega).

Back
Top Bottom