• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Should big games be given the Metroid Prime Remastered treatment of release, in the wake of TOTK leaks/piracy?

This would infuriate and alienate even more people than just delaying the physical games, all to solve a nonexistent problem. It probably wouldn't be a barrier to hackers either.
I think calling the fact that as a consumer, it would be better for me to cancel my pre-order and pirate+emulate the game near two weeks earlier a "nonexistent problem" is a tad dismissive.

This is also how pre-loading already works for digital copies and hackers have no way around that.

People are vastly (like a lot) overestimating how many sales Nintendo is losing to piracy because the game leaked early if you think they'd even consider shadowdropping a massive title like this which will easily clear 20 million copies sold. They amount of sales they'd lose would probably be tenfold compared to what they're losing now.

Harshly put Nintendo also probably doesn't really a give a shit that legitimate consumers have to dodge spoilers for a while, it sucks but they're not going to sacrifice an entire marketing campaign to save people from getting spoiled by Youtube thumbnails and scrolling too carelessly on Twitter.

I think calling the fact that as a consumer, it would be better for me to cancel my pre-order and pirate+emulate the game near two weeks earlier a "nonexistent problem" is a tad dismissive.

This is also how pre-loading already works for digital copies and hackers have no way around that.
Does the average consumer have a strong enough pc to emulate the game and bother going through the steps? I doubt it

I'm willing to bet most people who are going to buy this game will never even know it was playable 2 weeks in advance.

People are vastly (like a lot) overestimating how many sales Nintendo is losing to piracy because the game leaked early if you think they'd even consider shadowdropping a massive title like this which will easily clear 20 million copies sold. They amount of sales they'd lose would probably be tenfold compared to what they're losing now.

Harshly put Nintendo also probably doesn't really a give a shit that legitimate consumers have to dodge spoilers for a while, it sucks but they're not going to sacrifice an entire marketing campaign to save people from getting spoiled by Youtube thumbnails and scrolling too carelessly on Twitter.
Heck huge portions of the Avengers Endgame script leaked months in advance and it was still the highest grossing movie ever

Things leak, it's an inevitability and it's baked into the finance calculus with these products, Nintendo knows this will always happen

Does the average consumer have a strong enough pc to emulate the game and bother going through the steps? I doubt it
As far as I am aware, the game can be emulated on an entry level laptop GPU(3050 4gb). It's hardly an issue of having a "strong enough PC." I wouldn't be surprised to see AMD APUs run this thing.

I also think that this kind of line of thought is a bit dangerous, as it easily justifies piracy. "Not enough people can even do this, so it's fine for me and everyone who can to do it, as it will not affect the games sales at all." Is what it makes me, as someone who can do it think.

I would call it that. This change also makes it more likely people do that out of frustration.

look if pokemon scarlet can sell 10 million in 3 days despite being leaked just as early if not earlier than why would it be different now? I'm not saying the effect is zero but it's probably not that significant

look if pokemon scarlet can sell 10 million in 3 days despite being leaked just as early if not earlier than why would it be different now?
Why are sales the only thing that matters? How is the fact that pirates are getting a vastly more premium experience than legitimate customers not a problem? Why would a legitimate customer who is aware of and capable of taking part in the illict side of business not go there?

Why are sales the only thing that matters? How is the fact that pirates are getting a vastly more premium experience than legitimate customers not a problem? Why would a legitimate customer who is aware of and capable of taking part in the illict side of business not go there?
Because it ultimately is the #1 thing that matters. I'm not sure what you're expecting Nintendo do about this outside of what they've already done.

Yes. Aren't many companies selling early access to a game as a part of the more premium "deluxe" packages nowadays?
this and you play with higher resolution
This argument is essentially... "my experience in this case would be better if I did it illegally". That's often the case! That's why people commit crimes! I don't really know what point is being made?

I would personally rather prioritize physical ownership and preservation over an irrational fear of spoilers that won't affect Nintendo's bottom line, but that's just me

That was literally in 1994. Landscape is obviously not the same.
Well it didn't turned out nice for Sony with the PSP Go, when massive stores refuses to sell the console because of the "Digital only" system.
I know the landscape have changed too but still, I'm not sure stores would be very happy about this.

This argument is essentially... "my experience in this case would be better if I did it illegally". That's often the case! That's why people commit crimes! I don't really know what point is being made?
It's just the general downplay of piracy and how it inconveniences those who do not want to be spoiled, or otherwise feel like they are being treated less than a criminal by Nintendo, just because "it doesn't affect the sales" that I take issue with.

Not that I expect anything to be done about it, because capitalism, but that doesn't mean the issue should be downplayed as nothing.

It's just the general downplay of piracy and how it inconveniences those who do not want to be spoiled, or otherwise feel like they are being treated less than a criminal by Nintendo, just because "it doesn't affect the sales" that I take issue with.

Not that I expect anything to be done about it, because capitalism, but that doesn't mean the issue should be downplayed as nothing.
Most proposed solutions to solve this issue seem like it would just make things much worse for 95% of consumers so there's no point in doing anything about it. Nobody is gonna disrupt a production and marketing pipeline because people on the internet want to dodge spoilers. Hence, it is nothing.

I think somehow the game would still leak. I don't know how TOTK managed to leak but the more anticipated a game or product is the stronger the likelihood it'll leak. If not through a copy breaking street dates than through a person smuggling a copy from a warehouse.

It would be nice if games didn't leak tho.

I think somehow the game would still leak. I don't know how TOTK managed to leak but the more anticipated a game or product is the stronger the likelihood it'll leak. If not through a copy breaking street dates than through a person smuggling a copy from a warehouse.

It would be nice if games didn't leak tho.
This is what I was going to say, the leak is independent of the existance of a physical version. It certainly helps but it wouldn't stop it either

how much did metroid prime remastered sell? it was a thing for a minute, but you can't compare it to most other games. it's also a remaster, a much safer release.

how much did metroid prime remastered sell? it was a thing for a minute, but you can't compare it to most other games. it's also a remaster, a much safer release.
We’ll get numbers at the next fiscal quarter release in a few days.

I think jumping through the hoops necessary to get your Switch to load up homebrew or pirated stuff on the off chance a given game might arrive a few days sooner isn't really a premium experience.
this and you play with higher resolution
You don't have to get a pirated copy or get the game several days early to achieve that.

That would push even further the dreaded "Digital only" objective of the companies.

I'm not only against it, but I would say to even actually "fight" it if this becomes a trend some day.

I don't think it's that big of a deal. So no. That's ridiculous. The leaks are hardly an issue to their bottom line since those that were going to buy the game, are still going to buy it anyways.

As much as Nintendo obviously hates leakers, I feel changing their buisness around it is a big overreaction. I really think this is a big core audience thing, not to say that's not a large chunk but like genuinely I expect at most 20% of TOTK buyers to even be aware there were leaks, let alone think about actively avoiding them

Edit:Ok now I'm unsure if this thread is talking about the leak of the game as playable (more incentive but still over-react imo) or the leaks of information they wanted to be secret

No no no.

People are overreacting, ToTK will be out in just 8 days, it will sell like crazy, if you are worry about spoilers just be careful with your social media.

Movie industry has been doing this for a long time. Digital versions of films (e.g. Super Mario Bros movie) frequently release weeks before the physical Blu-Ray does.
if anything, they should be more active with this. i feel like the whole concept of having films "exclusively in theaters" is more of a pain to deal with than anything else. for various reasons.
there's always going to be an audience who wants the more "premium" experince of going to one (I.E, IMAX, limited re-releases.) so it really shouldn't hurt the bottom-line by making early digital releases more common at a higher price.

as for the gaming side of the topic, i feel like a lot of the arguments i was going to bring up (leaks like this being commonplace for decades, potential to harm retailers.) have already been discussed.

Now that I think about it, why not just require a certain firmware to boot these games and release the firmware on the same day as the game? Didn't Nintendo already do something like this on the 3DS, except the cartridges came with the firmware update?

giphy.gif

Now that I think about it, why not just require a certain firmware to boot these games and release the firmware on the same day as the game? Didn't Nintendo already do something like this on the 3DS, except the cartridges came with the firmware update?
Mandatory online check? No thanks

The leaks and piracy are not going to materially hurt TotK at all. Big games getting shadowed dropped absolutely would hurt them. You spend tens of millions making a game and then don't market it? That makes 0 sense.

Nintendo isn't gonna change marketing/distribution plans for one of the biggest games in its history and future games because people who wouldn't buy a game are playing it early through other means.

I didn't like the way Metroid Prime Remastered was handled. Hell no.

I'd be up for it, but not because of leaks and piracy, just because I want games to release faster. Nintendo already experimented with this in the WiiU era, releasing Wind Waker HD IIRC? A week earlier digitally than physically.

Leaks and piracy are just going to happen anyway. While it would be nice for them to move forward release dates when it happens, I don't think basing your entire release strategy around it makes sense.

Also as a reminder, unless piracy is super easy (see Nintendo DS when R4 was running rampant) it's not going to have a meaningful impact on sales, as most people who pirate a game were probably not going to buy it anyways. Even then most of the big DS games still sold gangbusters, it was the games for the core audience that suffered.

imma cut all the PC gamers emulating the game a bit of slack here, PC releases are all launching in various states of broken so a pirated switch game being the most stable release in the last year or so is very funny.

Back
Top Bottom