• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI V |ST| It's Not Persona(L), It's Demon Negotiations

I'm trying to clear all the abcesses in Area 4 and encountered a particularly tricky one near the starting point.
The one with weak demons but all of them are at lvl 99. Is this supposed to be a joke superboss fight meant to unlock some fancy Miracles? I poked around with some of my strongest demons but they barely do any damage, forcing me to Trafuri away.
It's a legitimate fight but you might be underlevelled. I don't recall the miracles unlocked from that one being anything special so feel free to save it for last. I recall having an easy time with ailments against that stack. You can confuse them all pretty easily.

It's a legitimate fight but you might be underlevelled. I don't recall the miracles unlocked from that one being anything special so feel free to save it for last. I recall having an easy time with ailments against that stack. You can confuse them all pretty easily.
Thanks! I also expected ailments to ease up the fight, but it would still be tedious with my current lineup (lvl 64 max). I will experiment with an Almighty team plus ailments then, will update here when I'm done. Edit: yeah with ailments applied the abcess did not last for long lol. I resorted to spamming Lullaby then attack the awake ones left.

Last edited:
Fuck the 2nd zone of the 3rd area, I'm constantly getting Game Overs today.

Well second week doesnt look great

04./01. [NSW] Shin Megami Tensei V # <RPG> (Atlus) {2021.11.11} (¥8.980) – 22.513 / 165.760 (-84%)

Jrpgs are usually frontloaded so drops like that aren't rare. It's only bad if you compare it to other Nintendo evergreens which isn't fair since that basically make any other release look bad lol. Gotta compare it to other Jrpgs or previous installments drop.

Also digital will be a good factor as that will be higher than 3DS.

I'm trying to clear all the abcesses in Area 4 and encountered a particularly tricky one near the starting point.
The one with weak demons but all of them are at lvl 99. Is this supposed to be a joke superboss fight meant to unlock some fancy Miracles? I poked around with some of my strongest demons but they barely do any damage, forcing me to Trafuri away.
The main reason this one ends up being rough is because of how the damage formula works when there's a large gap in levels between you and the opponent, or vice verse. If something is like 10 or more levels above you your damage drops off pretty dramatically even if the enemy has poor stats.

Rakukaja, Sukunda,... only apply to a single enemy or a single ally to me. And I'm already back to Tokyo after defeating Hydra and Nuwa (well, first Nuwa encounter).
There are single target and multi target versions of all buff and debuff spells. Early game demons generally get the single target versions, but soon you’ll get the multis

Nice! You should definitely be saving way more frequently than an hour... easy mistake to make but very costly!!

If you're at Principality, you can get through the game just fine. You got this. In my experience it's actually gotten easier overall. I think Nuwa was the hardest boss for me

Yeah I usually do that - I just happened to be very much in the zone so to speak so I totally forgot it in the moment, I didnt realize it was so long between saves at the time =)

Yeah I struggled with Nuwa as well, I died a couple of times even.. was very much under leveled when I was there hehe

Is that the one with the fans? Fuck that place. Only part of the game that pissed me off lol
Nah, there's another dungeon but it's long and boring in my opinion. The design is so weak. Lots of empty corridors to dead ends and one of the floors goes on for so long lol.

Surprisingly, the dungeon with the fans didn't piss me off, I was just thinking when will it end lol.

SMT should stick to open world regions from now on. So much better.

Nah, there's another dungeon but it's long and boring in my opinion. The design is so weak. Lots of empty corridors to dead ends and one of the floors goes on for so long lol.

Surprisingly, the dungeon with the fans didn't piss me off, I was just thinking when will it end lol.

Oh man I still got another dungeon ahead of me...

The funny thing is people enjoy those kinds of dungeons well people that like previous SMT games lol.

Hey, if I like SMTV will I like 3?

I am playing it on casual, does SMT3 have a casual mode?

Hmm it depends because if you go into SMT 3 don't expect large explorable areas like SMT V. Nocturne is more traditional in terms of having dungeons and etc. It's similar to SMT V in terms of atmosphere and having alignments as well as the combat system.

SMT Nocturne has a casual mode.

Man, the Abcesses in Area 4 are harder.

I need to lvl up a bit and get better teams. The game really ups the difficulty around these parts.

I just got through the first major boss who stands in the northern region of Area 4. My first time ever that I had to actively grind to reach level parity, craft a specialized team and still had to spend some few luxury chakra items.
I swear Zeus hits like a truck and is built like a tank. Fuck him tbh, I lost to him 3 times before deciding to grind till lvl 67 in order to fuse Seth and Norn. At least Freikugel EX deals tons of damage and fastens up the process.
Now I move on to the next one and will probably have to craft another team for specific null elements sigh ...
Edit: Okay the second major boss who stands atop a tower fell down faster than I expected
I epxected Odin before going in, but I did not realize he's also weak to Force like Zeus (and also Thor). Though he had some interesting questions, probably for alignment points.
What's strange to me however is how Odin straight up died (and is unlocked for special fusion) while Zeus simply disappears, seems to run away (he's not unlockable in the compendium either). Does the order which I beat the bosses affects who is fusable or not?

I guess it's supposed to be a maze and designed as a throwback to old school SMT dungeons with dead ends and terrain puzzles. At least I'm relieved that Atlus did not went all the way to dig up old design elements, I still dread navigating around SMT II dungeons with teleporters, sliders, traps, one way walls and what not ... Regardless I also support open world design, I got a taste of it in Xeno and find it hard to comeback tbh ...

Last edited:
Oof, the first boss kicked my ass several times before I tweaked the team enough to get through at level 13. I don’t think I’ve died this often in the opening hours of a JRPG since, er, Strange Journey

What was tales first and second week? Im just saying its the 3rd best opening in the series
With digital, it should have done way better than Nocturne.

Although we don't know how much it has done exactly compared to SMT4 with digital.

So about the areas in the game...

Until now I used to refer as Area 2 to the part of the map unlocked after Tokyo Tower, after defeating boss Hydra, that would end in the Diet Building with the fight against Nuwa.

I've been in the Tokyo school attack and now I'm back to Da'at. The new area would be called Area 3, but after opening the map, I realize there is no connection between this area and the previous ones... So does it mean this is Area 2 instead of 3???

This game is giving me lots of surprises. I have not advanced as much as you guys, but I'm loving it more and more, haha.

After beating hydra I went back to the start to do a quick bit of exploration and look for more of the mimans. I like just moving around in this world, the running and jumping feels good, and the world design is both interesting while not being overly big for the sake of it.

Ummm excuse me?!?

I cleared all Abcess in the area 4 except 1. I thought to myself, my levels are high enough, I can clear this last 1 easily.

Proceeds to attack the Abcess, those demons show up, my first thought was: wait, why these demons??

I check their levels, my reaction: wat...

Ummm excuse me?!?

Even if they are level 99 they are still filler mob demons from the very first area of the game, you can easily clear them out while being 35 levels below since their stats are so low and have lots of weaknesses, status effects in particular are very handy in this battle since you can just cripple them all from turn 1 with them.
I really recommend clearing this abscess since its miracles are very useful

Last edited:
New update announced

Omg:
Optional features
Adds options to adjust the camera angle during exploration / screen brightness

Finally!!

Reduces the number of gimmicks for successive jumps after the leyline in Demon King’s Castle: 3rd Stratum

Other minor fixes

I gotta say that Buddha dude you meet after the Hydra has a really cool ass design.

The dude reaks chad energy lol.

Don't you guys find it funny while exploring how demons that are far away move with low fps? Honestly I love this strategy used for optimization, it's pretty bizarre
I always found it weird how people hate it and find it repulsive. I think it's clever since it helps. Although I do find it funny lol.

That's because he is a Chad lol. His English VA is also really good.

I'm using Japanese voices so that's good to hear. His Japanese voice is fantastic.

I always found it weird how people hate it and find it repulsive. I think it's clever since it helps. Although I do find it funny lol.

Honestly, I've seen done quite a few times for games that are really open. It's definitely a way to optimize games better and I find no issues at all.

Don't you guys find it funny while exploring how demons that are far away move with low fps? Honestly I love this strategy used for optimization, it's pretty bizarre
Super Mario Odyssey is one of the earliest example on Switch I think (EPD even used 2d models for far-away objects). I guess Pokemon Legends Arceus would follow a similar principle and it makes sense tbh since far-away objects are barely noticeable to me anw.

Yeah, I don't mind dungeons per se, but at the very least make them interesting design-wise. The puzzles in the first one were alright, albeit a tad frustrating. Other than that, it was extremely bland, and three floors in, the second one isn't any better.

Dungeons have the potential to shake up the flow and provide a contrast to the otherwise openish world design, but the way they are executed here leads to them being easily the worst part of the game.

Even if they are level 99 they are still filler mob demons from the very first area of the game, you can easily clear them out while being 35 levels below since their stats are so low and have lots of weaknesses, status effects in particular are very handy in this battle since you can just cripple them all from turn 1 with them.
I really recommend clearing this abscess since its miracles are very useful
Yeah, I'll get to it before long, although I did get wrecked the first time (I was only level 55). I like the mini-challenges of the abscesses in Area 4, they give you some good puzzles and situations to figure out with several of them

Does the Boss AI make the best decision available sometimes?

I would go into some fights where my Nahobino has a weakness to one of the boss's moves. The boss would then proceed to focus on my guy and one-shot him like he hated him lol
I also had one instance where I used a Phys Dampener on the turn where the boss did his Magatsuhi attack, but then the boss chooses to use a Magic skill instead and destroys me.

Those issues are easy to avoid with essence fusion, but I hoard them until necessary lol

Well a certain early area 2 boss has a (unique?) Lightning attack, and in all my tries this attack targeted my Matador, who's weak to Lightning, without fail.

;]

I would go into some fights where my Nahobino has a weakness to one of the boss's moves. The boss would then proceed to focus on my guy and one-shot him like he hated him lol
I also had one instance where I used a Phys Dampener on the turn where the boss did his Magatsuhi attack, but then the boss chooses to use a Magic skill instead and destroys me.

Those issues are easy to avoid with essence fusion, but I hoard them until necessary lol
They don't always, no, but it does seem like it's not completely random either. Bosses seem to be 'sometimes smart' or something along those lines, probably because if they were literally 100% spot-on with reading and using weaknesses/avoiding absorbs that'd be a little bit bullshit

At least for Magatsuhi skills, I think bosses only use a fixed pattern so far regardless of what Null shield you raise for your comp. My strategy is just to use Spyglass then odd out the skills bosses use normally, leaving their potential Magatsuhi skill in the following order: multi-target skills, then unique skills.
In addition, if a boss fight has multiple bosses, remember their turn order to make sure you shield yourself against the right skill. So far I have not seen any bosses who tried to change their turn order in Magatsuhi phase.

I found the aforementioned dungeon pretty trivial and relatively fun to be frank. I definitely enjoyed it.

At least for Magatsuhi skills, I think bosses only use a fixed pattern so far regardless of what Null shield you raise for your comp. My strategy is just to use Spyglass then odd out the skills bosses use normally, leaving their potential Magatsuhi skill in the following order: multi-target skills, then unique skills.
In addition, if a boss fight has multiple bosses, remember their turn order to make sure you shield yourself against the right skill. So far I have not seen any bosses who tried to change their turn order in Magatsuhi phase.
I see. I didn't notice a turn order, but maybe I wasn't paying attention or maybe I'm too early in the game. Thanks for the tips.

Game crashed at the most inconvenient moment

Demon King Castle right after I was done with the blower shit.

Yeah the 4th area is my favorite part of the game. The music is so good.

Beat demi-fiend DLC.. That was hard phew
Now i can finally rest this game. I need to think more, but maybe it's my GOTY, so fucking fun!

Last edited:
I think I’m close to the end of the first area (about to go in to the Angels camp). It was hilarious that the fetch quest outside it suddenly turned into a fight that killed me, I’m actually more surprised with myself that I wasn’t cynical enough to save before turning it in :D Ah well, lesson learned. Nice to play an RPG that doesn’t pull its punches, I’d forgotten that it was game over if the MC is KO’d (I think the last SMT I played didn’t have that), and the demon managed to hit his weakpoint for a straight-up instant kill. I just laughed.

I’ve got a question about the plot revelations at the end of the first area-

What exactly is the Tokyo where the school is then? Am I right in having understood it that Tokyo was folded up and slid into the netherworld 18 years ago, making Daat, the realm of all the dunes and broken buildings?

And then the Tokyo with the school was a miraculous intervention by the god of law that replaced it, meaning that nobody human (outside Bethel) is aware that its a sort of artificial replacement? Meaning that it’s entire population in the immediate aftermath were artificial beings? Surely people move in and out of a major urban centre all the time, meaning that it’s now a mix of artificial replacements, the children of those replacements, and real people that have moved there? Presumably tons of those unaware replacements have now moved elsewhere? Really not convinced about the idea that a city’s population can be isolated in such a way when people move in and out of them all the time, especially over such a long period of time.

I hope it doesn’t mean that it being 18 years ago ends up being vitally important to all the teen characters for whatever generic contrived reasons.

Last edited:
I’ve got a question about the plot revelations at the end of the first area-

What exactly is the Tokyo where the school is then? Am I right in having understood it that Tokyo was folded up and slid into the netherworld 18 years ago, making Daat, the realm of all the dunes and broken buildings?

And then the Tokyo with the school was a miraculous intervention by the god of law that replaced it, meaning that nobody human (outside Bethel) is aware that its a sort of artificial replacement? Meaning that it’s entire population in the immediate aftermath were artificial beings? Surely people move in and out of a major urban centre all the time, meaning that it’s now a mix of artificial replacements, the children of those replacements, and real people that have moved there? Presumably tons of those unaware replacements have now moved elsewhere? Really not convinced about the idea that a city’s population can be isolated in such a way when people move in and out of them all the time, especially over such a long period of time.

I hope it doesn’t mean that it being 18 years ago ends up being vitally important to all the teen characters for whatever generic contrived reasons.
To me the "real" Tokyo with school and what not seems to be a virtual world, like the Matrix, recreated by the Creator. Da'at, despite being called the Netherworld, is actually the real world after the Armageddon. The denizens of virtual Tokyo are, perhaps, fragments of their past self and had their memory altered to be unaware of the non-existent world around them.
About the specific 18-year time frame, I guess it's a nod to older entries in the SMT series. Well, just check out the release year of SMT III and you'll see ;)

Back
Top Bottom