• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic SHIN MEGAMI TENSEI V |ST| It's Not Persona(L), It's Demon Negotiations

Was finally able to make some nice headway into the second area. Cleared Fionn mac Cumhaill on the first try, then took out all the abscesses that were visible. Felt like I was on a bit of a tear. Still really liking just poking around the map, though I feel like I haven't found very many Miman in the second zone yet! I'll have lots to mop up later I'm sure.

Recently learned the "Knowledge of Tools" miracle and am already finding it useful; it lets any of your demons use items too.

I think I enjoy this game as much as Persona - wasn’t expecting that. It’s ticking the Pokémon box in a way Pokémon isn't likely to surpass

Also, as a kid I know I spent a ton of time playing Revelations the Demon Slayer. It really shouldn’t have come as a surprise that this is clicking for me. I think seeing all the rigid corridor navigation in other SMT games had me assuming the worst, but Da’at is brilliant and a joy to navigate

Cleared the third area and in the next area I'm standing in front of the boss;

The Ishtar fight was so easy; my MC and the other tree demons had dark based attacks and they demolished her.

Into the castle... I really hated those fans. I always hate those kinds of obstacles, but apart from one section they weren't too bad. The Chernabog fight though, that was a doozy. Took a bit of luck to get the guy down, but it worked. Tried Arioch, but was woefully unprepared, so I'm going to work on my team and weaknesses.

The final Da'at music is so good...it's on another level and feels like this is it... you're going to shape and recreate the world. I honestly didn't expect myself to be so into SMT. Can't wait to see how this game ends.

Edit: GOD DAMN, this map is HUGE.

Story spoilers for the boss fight at the end of the second Da'at area

Fuck I was getting attached Saori and Tao's plot, I really wanted to save her and in general they were my 2 favorite human characters. I hope the story can manage to make me care for the other 2 dudes and Betel now

The final Da'at music is so good...it's on another level and feels like this is it... you're going to shape and recreate the world. I honestly didn't expect myself to be so into SMT. Can't wait to see how this game ends.

I've been wandering around the fourth Da'at area for a couple days just exploring and doing sidequests. It's so good.

I've said this before but if you enjoy Jrpgs and monster collecting games like Pokemon than SMT is definitely worth a try. Seeing as you enjoy Jrpgs a lot it's not surprising you would like this game.

I think SMT 4 on 3DS is a fantastic game IMO. The series is up their as some of the best Jrpg/monster collecting games imo.

I got past the last boss in area 3
Not sure if this is intentional, but Ishtar's script seems to crap on itself the moment she lost the ability to cast her signature skill. The fight turned out to be a joke when I keep a Power angel in the lineup who maintains tauting and Marakukaja, meanwhile I just go on full offensive wih Makajama sprinkled in here and there when all debuffs are in.
Holy fuck the new normal battle theme in Lucifer's castle, the old school SMT spirit lives on!!!!

Third area + area after that complete!

Arioch was pretty okay actually. With my MC at lvl 54, Dominion at 54, Kushinada at 53 and Kin-Ki at 53 it was a nice battle where I pummled Arioch away.

As for the next segment…

Boss battle against Abiel went terribly ha. But I had MC’s dark attacks removed for light attacks a little while ago. Guess I need some demons too. Haven’t seen anything that could help me out yet.

Btw the Conception… 18 years ago… is SMT V a what if story in regards to Nocturne(

Last edited:
So I'm still taking my time playing the game since I've been busy lately with work and I also caught a cold unfortunately lol. So I'm still in the first area, but I gotta say the first boss is absolutely incredible from music to design.

I love how much of an event the boss battle feels like. Also, the unique battle themes from some sidequest are fantastic.

Also yea the first boss has rekted my ass twice already lol.

So I'm still taking my time playing the game since I've been busy lately with work and I also caught a cold unfortunately lol. So I'm still in the first area, but I gotta say the first boss is absolutely incredible from music to design.

I love how much of an event the boss battle feels like. Also, the unique battle themes from some sidequest are fantastic.

Also yea the first boss has rekted my ass twice already lol.
The unique music just keeps coming, too. There are already quite a few battle tracks you hear just in the first area, but then more pop up as you go, too, it's great.

Just beat Tokyo Diet Building boss lol. And i thought i am overlevel lol. That Strange Journey mechanic where MC died equal game over still troll me kek.

I definitely enjoyed the little bit I played of this game, but I put it on a brief hiatus because I went back to finish Nocturne. Gonna try the True Demon Route as a sort semi-connection to the "Return of the True Demon" content in SMTV.

Having a lot of fun with this.

Recently learned the "Knowledge of Tools" miracle and am already finding it useful; it lets any of your demons use items too.
That is a must imho, thanks to this miracle I don't need multi-elemental spells. I like the miracle progression, they are basically the apps from SMT IV/Apocalypse but a lot better and some with more interesting effects. If New Game+ let me keep all my miracles I will be very happy, I would sacrifice my essences If I need to.

Last edited:
26 hours in and I think I'm approaching the end of area 2

I just keep getting distracted by fusing new demons, sidequests, and exploration

This game is kicking my ass to extraterrestial levels.

It's my fault because i started it at hard difficulty without ever played a Megaten game before.

This is fine.

Completely agree that area 4 is probably the best in the game. Honestly I'm so happy with how good this game turned out. I had huge expectations and it might have exceeded them.
In terms of areas: 4>1>3>2

I've said this before but if you enjoy Jrpgs and monster collecting games like Pokemon than SMT is definitely worth a try. Seeing as you enjoy Jrpgs a lot it's not surprising you would like this game.

I think SMT 4 on 3DS is a fantastic game IMO. The series is up their as some of the best Jrpg/monster collecting games imo.
That's the funny thing, I don't really care or liked monster collecting games. I couldn't get into Pokemon for some reason. As for SMT, I remember being exposed to it by seeing on the 3ds SMTIV and looked interesting then found out it wasn't out in UK/EU lol. But unfortunately the first person perspective in battle is what made me avoid SMT, I just don't like first person in my Jrpgs lol.

SMTV though is hitting everything I love about Xenoblade and turn based combat. I truly hope that all SMT spinoffs or at least the mainline games keep the large Xenoblade like open areas moving forward. That 4 year wait was worth it.

Quoted by: Leo
Oh Atlus, you think you're funny, huh? Making THE demon probably everyone used against Matador in Nocturne weak to him in V.

But i saw through your little trick!

Matador down first try. Though it's definitely easier in V where you can prepare and go against him at a time you want compared to Nocturne where he roadblocks you in the story progress early on. ^^

26 hours in and I think I'm approaching the end of area 2

I just keep getting distracted by fusing new demons, sidequests, and exploration

Area 2 is great because you think you're nearing the end and then it puts a point in the middle of nowhere and reveals you're only half way through the map lol

That's the funny thing, I don't really care or liked monster collecting games. I couldn't get into Pokemon for some reason. As for SMT, I remember being exposed to it by seeing on the 3ds SMTIV and looked interesting then found out it wasn't out in UK/EU lol. But unfortunately the first person perspective in battle is what made me avoid SMT, I just don't like first person in my Jrpgs lol.

SMTV though is hitting everything I love about Xenoblade and turn based combat. I truly hope that all SMT spinoffs or at least the mainline games keep the large Xenoblade like open areas moving forward. That 4 year wait was worth it.
You should try SMTIII next. It's amazing! It's not open like V, but it's not first person either, it's full 3D, and the dungeons are moody af. It also looks very surreal and abstract, which V seemingly takes inspiration from.

You should try SMTIII next. It's amazing! It's not open like V, but it's not first person either, it's full 3D, and the dungeons are moody af. It also looks very surreal and abstract, which V seemingly takes inspiration from.
Wasn't the port really bad? Unless they fixed the issues. I might consider looking into it but I feel the game aged badly hasn't it lol?

Wasn't the port really bad? Unless they fixed the issues. I might consider looking into it but I feel the game aged badly hasn't it lol?

Iirc the issues were mostly solved at the western launch.

SMT III in looks and feel is essentially a PS2 game. The issues have been fixed in the western release of the game, but compared to other remasters it’s pretty barebones.

However, the core of the game is very solid and the game is fun to play. Nothing better than having a very good balanced team and start pummeling a boss. I had a good time with it. I might return to it one day, but after completing SMT V I’ll take a break from Atlus RPG’s, because I played SMT III, Persona 5 Royal and SMT V this year. That’s going to be over 200 hours spent on those games lol.

The performance issues were mostly fixed, there are a few dips here and there but runs much more smoothly than V. The complaints about the remaster is that it doesn't add much, it's just the same game in HD with a few minor QoL changes, and people think that's not worth 40 dollars, but since you haven't played the game, it's definitely worth it. It's a 50-60h game with multiple different endings.

I don't think the game has aged badly at all, the core gameplay is the same as V so it's strong and addictive. The visuals are still great in HD, the game has a very strong art direction which mixes abstract landscapes with sterile isolated environments, it aged very well. The major difference to SMTV is the structure, since the game is based on dungeons, so it's more akin to traditional JRPGs which should be fine if you like the genre.

It's still considered by many as the best game in the series for a reason, and you shouldn't pass it up if you liked SMTV imo, it's a phenomenal game. Should be getting a good discount on the black friday sale too.

Somes pictures that I think represent well how the game feels like:

Shin-Megami-Tensei-III-Nocturne-HD-Remaster_2020_08-03-20_004.jpg

662px-SMT_III_Nocturne_Amala_Network_Revisited_1.jpg

Shin-Megami-Tensei-3-Nocturne-HD-Remaster.jpg

SMT-III-Nocturne-HD-Remaster-Screenshots-19.jpg

Last edited:
Nocturne has aged very well if anything, pretty timeless art style and the combat is quite fast, maybe faster than V. The QoL additions in the remaster help a lot too.
The main issue with the port was the price depending on region and platform (60 bucks for me on Steam for example). It's a bit steep for an old game that adds relatively little, especially when contrasted against P4G being $20 on Steam.

The performance issues were mostly fixed, there are a few dips here and there but runs much more smoothly than V. The complaints about the remaster is that it doesn't add much, it's just the same game in HD with a few minor QoL changes, and people think that's not worth 40 dollars, but since you haven't played the game, it's definitely worth it. It's a 50-60h game with multiple different endings.

I don't think the game has aged badly at all, the core gameplay is the same as V so it's strong and addictive. The visuals are still great in HD, the game has a very strong art direction which mixes abstract landscapes with sterile isolated environments, it aged very well. The major difference to SMTV is the structure, since the game is based on dungeons, so it's more akin to traditional JRPGs which should be fine if you like the genre.

It's still considered by many as the best game in the series for a reason, and you shouldn't pass it up if you liked SMTV imo, it's a phenomenal game. Should be getting a good discount on the black friday sale too.

Somes pictures that I think represent well how the game feels like:

Shin-Megami-Tensei-III-Nocturne-HD-Remaster_2020_08-03-20_004.jpg

662px-SMT_III_Nocturne_Amala_Network_Revisited_1.jpg

Shin-Megami-Tensei-3-Nocturne-HD-Remaster.jpg

SMT-III-Nocturne-HD-Remaster-Screenshots-19.jpg
It's definitely convincing me but 1 thing that I might find annoying, isn't the random encounters bad in this game or can be it adjusted or something?

It's definitely convincing me but 1 thing that I might find annoying, isn't the random encounters bad in this game or can be it adjusted or something?

Well Nocturne still has that "encounter warning" system where you have a UI element that is green when there's a rather low chance of a random battle and turns yellow to red while you walk around. Resets after a battle.

When it's red you can make yourself at home to the certainty that you're going to have a random encounter very soon.

And as always, you get early access to items that prevent random encounters ... at least for demons weaker than your party. ^^

Well, yeah, there are random encounters so it's def more traditional on that front. But there are skills and items to reduce encounters and guarantee you can flee from battles, so it's possible to manage them.

Well Nocturne still has that "encounter warning" system where you have a UI element that is green when there's a rather low chance of a random battle and turns yellow to red while you walk around. Resets after a battle.

When it's red you can make yourself at home to the certainty that you're going to have a random encounter very soon.

And as always, you get early access to items that prevent random encounters ... at least for demons weaker than your party. ^^

Well, yeah, there are random encounters so it's def more traditional on that front. But there are skills and items to reduce encounters and guarantee you can flee from battles, so it's possible to manage them.
Well damn, you guys have convinced me now lol. I'll buy it later maybe in 2022 after I finish everything with SMTV and Danganronpa unless the game becomes super cheap.

In area 4 cleaning up side quests and exploring the map. I like how they just drop you into the middle of the last area and just let you be free.

Checked in on Odin since I made it to his fight area, he was 10 levels above me lol.

So there's this abscess in the 4th area that just sends a bunch of high level orochi lmao. I'm just level 58, chill. I did get a little leveling up there though

So there's this abscess in the 4th area that just sends a bunch of high level orochi lmao. I'm just level 58, chill. I did get a little leveling up there though
I got dumpstered by the first Orochi I encountered. At that I point I was also in the 50s and one snuck up and one shot me and my team lol.

I got dumpstered by the first Orochi I encountered. At that I point I was also in the 50s and one snuck up and one shot me and my team lol.

It seems the game practically makes them unavoidable. If they get the first turn, chances are I'm good as dead. But if I live or get the first turn, they're surprisingly pretty beatable. Got me to reach level 62 in just a few encounters.

Please help me…

Aright, lol this game and its mechanics have me frozen coming from how harsh SMT 3 HD and main character progression and skill management was…

I currently am only in the first section, made it to
leyland pount in front of the large rock looking boss I assume… I think I have one each of all recruitable demons to this point and just found the last Preta who gave me items and have found the Asparsara? (That name isn’t right) quest.

My question really centers around I have tossed a couple of points to Str/Mag, where do I go from here lol? I have no idea how to do the essences/affinities, can I ever revert or undo a choice? Any spoiler free guides or mechanics breakdowns before I hamstring myself? Thank you!

Please help me…

Aright, lol this game and its mechanics have me frozen coming from how harsh SMT 3 HD and main character progression and skill management was…

leyland pount in front of the large rock looking boss I assume… I think I have one each of all recruitable demons to this point and just found the last Preta who gave me items and have found the Asparsara? (That name isn’t right) quest.

My question really centers around I have tossed a couple of points to Str/Mag, where do I go from here lol? I have no idea how to do the essences/affinities, can I ever revert or undo a choice? Any spoiler free guides or mechanics breakdowns before I hamstring myself? Thank you!

Most people either focus on MAG or STR as their main damage attribute, mixing them ends up with lackluster performance.

I feel MAG is easier as a newcomer because you can always check weaknesses that way.

Essences are (mainly) used for your Nahobino to learn skills. When you want to inherit ... say ... Heat Wave from an essence, you come to a screen where you pick your Nahobino's new skillset. The options there are the skills you had/have so far and the skills the essence offers. Pick accordingly.

You can also use essences to change your Nahobino's elemental affinities. For example, you start with a so called "Block" in Lightning. Meaning if an enemy hits you with lightning, their turns ends, or at minimum is cut short.
For some bosses it's recommended to change affinities via demon essence because they focus on attacking you with a certain element.

Don't be shy with essences, demons give them to you on level ups, or you get them as rewards from random battles. At one point they also get purchasable in Gustaves shop.

Most people either focus on MAG or STR as their main damage attribute, mixing them ends up with lackluster performance.

I feel MAG is easier as a newcomer because you can always check weaknesses that way.

Essences are (mainly) used for your Nahobino to learn skills. When you want to inherit ... say ... Heat Wave from an essence, you come to a screen where you pick your Nahobino's new skillset. The options there are the skills you had/have so far and the skills the essence offers. Pick accordingly.

You can also use essences to change your Nahobino's elemental affinities. For example, you start with a so called "Block" in Lightning. Meaning if an enemy hits you with lightning, their turns ends, or at minimum is cut short.
For some bosses it's recommended to change affinities via demon essence because they focus on attacking you with a certain element.

Don't be shy with essences, demons give them to you on level ups, or you get them as rewards from random battles. At one point they also get purchasable in Gustaves shop.
I...erm did that lol. But I haven't really struggled. I did put a lot into Vit and agility though.

Appreciated, I ended up missing charge on a Str build in Nocturne and it bummed me out…

Just want to avoid a similar mistake, if I am thinking Phys build, is it Str and what other skill cadence upgrades recommended?

Also I have not seen a spot to change my affinities yet, does that come later possibly?

Please help me…

I'd also recommend you to check the Analyze tab in the main menu frequently for new demons. Sometimes you will see ones that have useful utility skills (e.g. healing, escaping battles, buff, debuff etc.) You can then get them in two ways:
  • Check their location, go there and "catch" them with negotiation.
  • Fuse them in the World of Shadow, and this can be done more easily using reverse fusion, or at advanced level, reverse compedium fusion.

Another important aspect of raising and fusing demons is skill inheritance. Most of the time, you will choose the skills for your fused demon from a skill pool from its "parents". Some skills will be greyed out since they are unique and can only be learnt by one demon. At an advanced level, you can be prepared to chain-fusing 3 or 4 times to get your desires demon with desired skill set.

Regarding changing affinity, you can do so in the World of Shadow as well, but it will be unlocked later I think.

Regarding stats distribution, I don't think you have misssd out too much, since we don't have that many points we can freely allocate to V-kun upon leveling up anyway. I think the ultimate purpose of such design is to ensure new players will not hamstring themselves, and experienced players can enjoy more flexibility in building V-kun as they wish (most of the time to counter particular bosses).

Also this may be unrelated, but @AquaWateria can you pls gather some posts from experienced players and make a threadmark when you have time? I think it can help alot guiding new players into the game considering its steep learning curve.

Last edited:
I...erm did that lol. But I haven't really struggled. I did put a lot into Vit and agility though.

I didn't say you'd struggle, it's just that a focused stat distribution in combination with a solid skillset lets you play more effectively. ;D

Appreciated, I ended up missing charge on a Str build in Nocturne and it bummed me out…

Just want to avoid a similar mistake, if I am thinking Phys build, is it Str and what other skill cadence upgrades recommended?

Also I have not seen a spot to change my affinities yet, does that come later possibly?

Changing elemental weaknesses is in the same place as inheriting skills from it, in the World of Shadows under "Apotheosis" -> "Essence Fusion". First you pick your the char to inherit stuff, then the essence and then you should be able to choose between skills or elemental stuff.

Maybe not directly at the start, but definitely before the first real boss in the first area.

For a phys build, outside of dumping Str very often, i personally like dropping points in Vitality and Agility, with a point in luck once in a while. The only stat in a phys build that should be left alone is Mag. ;D

Bought it and played for two hours last night, and I have to be honest the game made a pretty poor first impression on me.

The opening story section was bland beyond belief - just the most basic version of a MegaTen plot you could muster "here are some kids, here's ruined Tokyo, now you have powers". Compared to SMT IV's Samurai or Strange Journey's expidition it felt extremely generic or lazy.

Then you get into the battles (which is why we're here) and it's both the exact same as other SMT games (which is fine) but the gamefeel is... worse? The UI isn't pleasing (and is too big on a TV), it seems to reuse some Tokyo Mirage Sesions UI which doesn't really fit, button presses aren't satisfying like they were in SMTIV, screen transitions after battle don't feel right... it just didn't have that crisp feel I expect of SMT. Lots of attacks have really weak sounding audio effects and no screen shake that makes everything feel floaty and weak.

Then moving around that first desert area for a couple of hours... just felt like PS3 era level design. Nothing special to it at all.

Really considering whether I want to sink however many hours into another SMT when I know exactly the experience I'll have with the battle system already and story and level design don't seem great. Wondering what the point is. Very disappointed. Doesn't feel like the budget was made available to push this series to the next level, to try to make it a breakout hit.

The only missable things (like charge in Nocturne) are the Aogami essences. If you fail to learn their unique spells, they're pretty much gone for good unless you get very lucky via random loot on the map. Beyond that, the game is much more forgiving. Invest your points in Str and Vit and you're fine.

Bought it and played for two hours last night, and I have to be honest the game made a pretty poor first impression on me.

The opening story section was bland beyond belief - just the most basic version of a MegaTen plot you could muster "here are some kids, here's ruined Tokyo, now you have powers". Compared to SMT IV's Samurai or Strange Journey's expidition it felt extremely generic or lazy.

Then you get into the battles (which is why we're here) and it's both the exact same as other SMT games (which is fine) but the gamefeel is... worse? The UI isn't pleasing (and is too big on a TV), it seems to reuse some Tokyo Mirage Sesions UI which doesn't really fit, button presses aren't satisfying like they were in SMTIV, screen transitions after battle don't feel right... it just didn't have that crisp feel I expect of SMT. Lots of attacks have really weak sounding audio effects and no screen shake that makes everything feel floaty and weak.

Then moving around that first desert area for a couple of hours... just felt like PS3 era level design. Nothing special to it at all.

Really considering whether I want to sink however many hours into another SMT when I know exactly the experience I'll have with the battle system already and story and level design don't seem great. Wondering what the point is. Very disappointed. Doesn't feel like the budget was made available to push this series to the next level, to try to make it a breakout hit.
The story and battle system get more interesting imo (26 hours in) and honestly battles feel a good bit different than 4 at least

But the level design 2 hours in is just not representative at all. This game might have the best level design, at least mechanically speaking, that I've seen in a JRPG this side of Xenoblade

I'd also recommend you to check the Analyze tab in the main menu frequently for new demons. Sometimes you will see ones that have useful utility skills (e.g. healing, escaping battles, buff, debuff etc.) You can then get them in two ways:
  • Fuse them in the World of Shadow, and this can be done more easily using reverse fusion, or at advanced level, reverse compedium fusion.

Another important aspect of raising and fusing demons is skill inheritance. Most of the time, you will choose the skills for your fused demon from a skill pool from its "parents". Some skills will be greyed out since they are unique and can only be learnt by one demon. At an advanced level, you can be prepared to chain-fusing 3 or 4 times to get your desires demon with desired skill set.

Regarding changing affinity, you can do so in the World of Shadow as well, but it will be unlocked later I think.

Regarding stats distribution, I don't think you have misssd out too much, since we don't have that many points we can freely allocate to V-kun upon leveling up anyway. I think the ultimate purpose of such design is to ensure new players will not hamstring themselves, and experienced players can enjoy more flexibility in building V-kun as they wish (most of the time to counter particular bosses).

Also this may be unrelated, but @AquaWateria can you pls gather some posts from experienced players and make a threadmark when you have time? I think it can help alot guiding new players into the game considering its steep learning curve.

I didn't say you'd struggle, it's just that a focused stat distribution in combination with a solid skillset lets you play more effectively. ;D

Changing elemental weaknesses is in the same place as inheriting skills from it, in the World of Shadows under "Apotheosis" -> "Essence Fusion". First you pick your the char to inherit stuff, then the essence and then you should be able to choose between skills or elemental stuff.

Maybe not directly at the start, but definitely before the first real boss in the first area.

For a phys build, outside of dumping Str very often, i personally like dropping points in Vitality and Agility, with a point in luck once in a while. The only stat in a phys build that should be left alone is Mag. ;D

The only missable things (like charge in Nocturne) are the Aogami essences. If you fail to learn their unique spells, they're pretty much gone for good unless you get very lucky via random loot on the map. Beyond that, the game is much more forgiving. Invest your points in Str and Vit and you're fine.

Thank you all! Hopefully the Aogami essences are straightforward enough to not overlook for me haha.

So does anyone sometimes look up to the sky and just gaze at the crazy world Atlus has created? The sky in the last Da'at is something to behold.

I'm totally done with area 3.
Tbh I found 2 Decarabias with Megidolaon much more dangerous than Arioch himself. I just used Fairy Banquet then debuffing all the 3 demons. After that I felt kinda bad for Arioch as he kept whiffing his moves and wasted 2 turns every time. Also it's kinda fresh to be in a dungeon again, where everything looks the same. Such is the typical old school SMT experience I miss lol.

Last edited:
I think V's story is a combination of poorly told and uninteresting but I'll still take it over being hammered with 4A's awful characters and storytelling, especially the endings. I love Apocalypse but I think the story in that being as bad as it is makes me care less about how boring 5's is.
Yeah...although I prefer IV's by a lot since at least it had a lot of atmosphere and honestly, you never get a moment in V like the whole Black Samurai saga which was very fun and "wow". Plus the characters in IV are definitely way more memorable tbh.

I was really hoping for something AMAZING like ST Redux endings but here we are...

Yea I should be able to do that at some point when I have some time.

Back
Top Bottom