• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews Shin Megami Tensei V | Review Thread

Very positive reviews. I'm happy to read that they have made it even easier for you to keep your favorite demons up to snuff power wise.
Sounds weird, but it really inspires me to themed party's byt race/type/allignment haha!

Saw this posted in other places.

FDXcW9nWQAoLKGe

If anything, these sites are pushing me to hate persona.
Nah don't man. Do realize Persona is a very different beast than SMT though, even if there is overlap in mechanics. Both franchises are mad fun in my book. The comparisons IGN and some other sites do though, it feels unfair to SMT as a full fledged franchises that can hold its own.

What a mess to double down on that review. They knew what they were doing making that the key excerpt, highlight, tweet, etc. Just, no.

Nah don't man. Do realize Persona is a very different beast than SMT though, even if there is overlap in mechanics. Both franchises are mad fun in my book. The comparisons IGN and some other sites do though, it feels unfair to SMT as a full fledged franchises that can hold its own.
That's a good sign that you're taking this a little too seriously

Yeah, maybe best thing I should do is not to give them the click at least.

I'm sorry but this really gets on my nerve. At first, critics complain that people only look at the score and don't read the content. But now that the issue is the content itself, we're being told to just look at the score. Fucking christ.

I'm sorry but this really gets on my nerve. At first, critics complain that people only look at the score and don't read the content. But now that the issue is the content itself, we're being told to just look at the score. Fucking christ.

The IGN review was positive, sure, but it didn't really feel positive while watching it. I was genuinely surprised by the score.

this is why it's better to put the embargo a day or two before release and not a whole week 😶

Can I say it may be better this way so we can get it out of our system before hand and solely focus on the game when it releases. A week of harping on reviews is much but I would like a couple hours to have fun and argue over ridiculousness.

I’m not interested in reading reviews. I just want to know - is there a good story here?

I’m not asking for Persona, so don’t misunderstand. I just want a healthy mix of the lovely exploration I’ve heard about in this thread, and a compelling story.

You know what’d be raw as fuck? If SMTV ever gets the SMTIV Apocalypse style “side-quel”, the protagonist’s journey and ascension to power should begin with them literally ripping their own heart out (bonus points for crushing it in their hand), in order to assume their transformation into Nahobino or whatever equivalent.

This isn’t me wishing Atlus incorporates a dig at a review or some dull, salty bullshit like that. The line just made me think how novel it would be to play as someone who at least outwardly rejects their humanity in a bid for power.

I think we missed another gem...... from We Got This Covered

"Unfortunately, one of my biggest issues with Shin Megami Tensei V isn’t even with the game itself, but the console it runs on. The in-game performance could be so much better, and I’m not typically very sensitive to framerate issues. The screen transitions and some cutscenes get really choppy, and the game just doesn’t look as good as I know it has the potential to. Honestly, it could pass for a PlayStation 3 game."

Made sure to leave my heart at the door before checking in.

The good feedback I'm hearing is really exciting. Apocalypse definitely made me worry a little, but I'm even more confident I'll enjoy it. I'm looking forward to learning about that twist I've seen alluded to here and there.

"Unfortunately, one of my biggest issues with Shin Megami Tensei V isn’t even with the game itself, but the console it runs on. The in-game performance could be so much better, and I’m not typically very sensitive to framerate issues. The screen transitions and some cutscenes get really choppy, and the game just doesn’t look as good as I know it has the potential to. Honestly, it could pass for a PlayStation 3 game."
At least they had the sense not to write PS2 game.

Technical issues is a valid point of criticism. But saying the issue with the game is the "console it runs on" is some garbage ass elitism.

Also they say Persona 5 Royal was one of their favourite games and Persona 5 is LITERALLY a PS3 game.

Does any review mention how this compares to specifically Nocturne? I'm curious to know if this game has - the atmosphere - or not.

At least they had the sense not to write PS2 game.

man, that guy... the one who said that was from PC gamer, right?

Technical issues is a valid point of criticism. But saying the issue with the game is the "console it runs on" is some garbage ass elitism.

Also they say Persona 5 Royal was one of their favourite games and Persona 5 is LITERALLY a PS3 game.

Hey my bad on not getting your joke earlier....if I'm gonna get spicy next time I'll reread a comment a few times before dishing it out lmao

I’m not interested in reading reviews. I just want to know - is there a good story here?

I’m not asking for Persona, so don’t misunderstand. I just want a healthy mix of the lovely exploration I’ve heard about in this thread, and a compelling story.

All I know is that some reviews have said the game has more story than SMT 4 and Apocolypse which by SMT standards is strong. Now as for overall Jrpgs in general I'm not sure but I would temper expectations just in case because in general Jrpgs have lots of exposition and dialogue like in Persona (Which so much is spent in) or Tales as examples.

Personally, I say SMT has a story (never agreed with the take that SMT doesn't have a story) in it just that it's doesn't have the heavy exposition/dialogue that traditional Jrpgs have. It just does its story differently than the usual Jrpg does it. I also think sidequest may add to the story as well.

...And steelbook Editions are sold out at Best Buy.

Dammit, I know I should've pre-ordered sooner.

Smh reviewers giving SMT a bump just because it's published by Nintendo in some regions.

If it was called Bhin Begami Bensei it would've been called a PS2 game

All I know is that some reviews have said the game has more story than SMT 4 and Apocolypse which by SMT standards is strong. Now as for overall Jrpgs in general I'm not sure but I would temper expectations just in case because in general Jrpgs have lots of exposition and dialogue like in Persona (Which so much is spent in) or Tales as examples.

Personally, I say SMT has a story in it just that it's doesn't have the heavy exposition/dialogue that traditional Jrpgs have. It just does its story differently than the usual Jrpg does it. I also think sidequest may add to the story as well.

This sounds good. I just don’t know how excited I’d be to play a game that’s almost entirely dungeon crawling without some good investment in the cast.

Considering they’ve had a video dedicated to the cast already, I figured there had to be something there.

This sounds good. I just don’t know how excited I’d be to play a game that’s almost entirely dungeon crawling without some good investment in the cast.

Considering they’ve had a video dedicated to the cast already, I figured there had to be something there.

I think asking @Phantom Thief would be far more helpful since they actually played the game.

They would have a better answer for what you are looking for.

Damn, this thread is a mess.

Very frustrating to see some people in here be dismissive. If someone who is in a minority class feels targeted or uneasy about certain content... they're well within their right to express it, even if it was something in the past. Your favorite video game series can be trash, even if said video game/developer has taken minimal steps to improve the situation, it can still have a very negative effect that is long lasting beyond "look we took out homophobia this time, see? we're woke."

Was thinking… this looks komparable to persona 5 in inproved, and that was a ps3 game. Screams bias.

Really loved SMT4, so preordered this as soon as it was available.

These are very good scores, outside a couple weird outliers, thx OP.

Having never played Persona 5 (Im a portable player), I am curious how the overall production value of SMT5 compares. I have seen enough P5 here and there to think "man that looks and sounds slick"!

I think asking @Phantom Thief would be far more helpful since they actually played the game.

They would have a better answer for what you are looking for.
I would say there’s cast interactions but it’s very very very minimal compared to something like Tales of Arise (as a recent JRPG example). I’d put it closer to Pokémon or MHS2? In that there’s definite cast interactions and it’s not infrequent but you do go large swathes of the game just by yourself working your way through the twisted hell scape Tokyo’s become.

I would say there’s cast interactions but it’s very very very minimal compared to something like Tales of Arise (as a recent JRPG example). I’d put it closer to Pokémon or MHS2? In that there’s definite cast interactions and it’s not infrequent but you do go large swathes of the game just by yourself working your way through the twisted hell scape Tokyo’s become.
Ok, then I guess I was right in that you shouldn't expect something as heavy as Tales considering it places a huge emphasis on cast interactions and team dynamic which is what skits are for. I just wanted to make sure I gave the other poster the right info.

Ok, then I guess I was right in that you shouldn't expect something as heavy as Tales considering it places a huge emphasis on cast interactions and team dynamic which is what skits are for. I just wanted to make sure I gave the other poster the right info.
Yeah for sure. It’s still SMT haha. Just… more of it.

Would you say the cast and their motivations are well fleshed out though? And nothing like Walter's drastic and unreasonable turn to genocide as a solution in SMT IV?

I don't think I minded the amount or frequency of party interactions or story in MHS2. As long as the game doesn't feel as predicable and templated as MHS2 then I'm good.

Was thinking… this looks komparable to persona 5 in inproved, and that was a ps3 game. Screams bias.
I'd say it's especially funny because it looks well beyond Persona 5, a game with fixed camera angles and small areas to go through. In many ways, it reminded me of PS2 era games, which didn't bother me much because I love that generation of games but I'll never not find it odd that somehow SMT V looks low end but P5 doesn't

this is why it's better to put the embargo a day or two before release and not a whole week 😶

Putting embargo a day or two before is one of those things that is actually anti consumer, because it's done deliberately to let the numerous people who preorder physical copies have them ship before reviews release with the intent of making it much less likely they cancel the order if they don't like what they hear* and I really hope we don't start championing companies doing that.

* As well as digital for Nintendo, since vouchers at least are taken a week in advance, not sure about ones you pay for with actual cash.

Putting embargo a day or two before is one of those things that is actually anti consumer, because it's done deliberately to let the numerous people who preorder physical copies have them ship before reviews release with the intent of making it much less likely they cancel the order if they don't like what they hear* and I really hope we don't start championing companies doing that.
i wasn't being serious

Back
Top Bottom