• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Shin chan: Me and the Professor on Summer Vacation |ST| A Midsummer's Dream

Coco

Armamenter ❄️
hero.jpg

Developer: Millennium Kitchen
Publisher: Neos
Platforms: Switch, PlayStation 4, PC (Steam/EGS)
Release Date: August 11, 2022 (Nintendo Switch), August 25, 2022 (PlayStation 4), August 31, 2022 (Steam)
Price: $39.99, 39.99€, £33.99
Product links: Steam, Nintendo, PlayStation, Official website.

Kazu Ayabe, director of the Boku no Natsuyasumi game series, presents a brand new adventure!

Hiroshi has to go on a business trip to Kyushu, so now the entire Nohara family has decided to stay with an childhood friend of Misae's in Asso, Kumamoto.
But when they arrive at Kumamoto Station on their way to Asso, they meet a strange man who offers them an even stranger camera on the condition that they'll act as his witnesses...

ss_c176ae3524d65baf0c5937dd5c5e70cf0822101a.1920x1080.jpg

With his new camera in hand, Shinnosuke can enjoy his summer vacation in the beautiful Asso fields and mountains to the fullest. The scenery is even crawling with creatures that he would never find in Kasukabe. And there are townspeople to help and new friends to make.
That said...don't these kids look an awful lot like the ones he knows from home?

ss_8ba6b917b5175a9823aca8212ba921f61c14b6b2.1920x1080.jpg

Enjoy the feeling of Japan in the height of summer. Wander beneath the wide open skies and listen to the sound of cicadas ringing through the mountains and the gentle babbling of brooks as they wind through the greenery. It's an experience that'll instantly have you nostalgic for Japanese summer. Run around, play, and explore in a wide variety of places. Since it's surrounded by nature, Asso is also home to all kinds of rare insects and fish! Catch fish and bugs, help the townspeople, and enjoy your summer holiday to the max!

You can hunt bugs, fish, help townspeople by getting news for the local newspaper, grow vegetables for the curry restaurant or just play Dinosaur Showdown with your friends. Spend your summer holiday the way you want!

Record all your fun experiences in the picture diary. It's the best way to treasure your summer memories, be they the day's happenings, new things you've discovered, or the types of fish and bugs you've caught!

ss_aa201eb05200ea62787c1efbedc1c495af52f1f1.1920x1080.jpg

FAQ

• What platforms is the game available for?
The game is available right now for Nintendo Switch. A PlayStation 4 and a PC version (in both Steam and Epic Games Store) will release later this month.​

• Will there be a physical version?
Yes! Limited Run Games will create a physical version, including a Collector's Edition, for this game. Check back for more details later this year!​

• What do you do in this game?
This game is a spiritual successor to the 'Boku no Natsuyasumi' series that released exclusively in Japan during the 00s. On it, you spend your summer holidays as a kid by exploring a Japanese town, hunting bugs, fishing and playing with your friends. It's similar to Animal Crossing in this regard, but there are events that will happen every day.​

• How long is this game?
Around 10 to 15 hours. You can spend more time if you decide to catch every bug or fish.​

• Do I need to know about Crayon Shin Chan before playing this game?
If you're not familiar with the show, that's alright. It's pretty much its own beast and every character will be presented to you beforehand.​
  • Is this game dubbed to English? I loved the dub!
Sadly, the game is dubbed only in Japanese, Cantonese, Mandarin and Korean, but it offers subtitles in English, Spanish, Portuguese and German.​

008.jpg

Last edited:
Played the first two days this morning. It has absolutely, undeniably, got a very strong atmosphere/vibe. I love it. It’s weaponized podunk quaintness.

No reviews yet?
I frankly don’t think this game is very game critic “compatible.” I find a lot of game critics (at least in my 20 years experience reading game criticism) will often very quickly deride games with decidedly laissez-faire attitudes towards player direction. Games where you’re supposed to slowly sink into an atmosphere will be written off simply as “slowly (therefore badly) paced.”

I have played about an hour and here’s MY review in progress:

If Marvel’s Spider-Man for PS4 was lauded as making the player FEEL like Spider-Man, then this game should be equally lauded for making the player FEEL like a super-imaginative, attention-deficient 5 year old Japanese boy who is on summer vacation in a rural town.

Also there’s a button dedicated to becoming a “butt-only alien.” I won’t elaborate.

The game looks extremely nice.

I think the thing to know about the game is this: it’s not going to be for everyone. But if you even remotely think this kind of directionless, summer-time 5 year old boy simulator is for you: yeah, it does that thing it’s trying to do expertly well.

Short version: if you think you know you already want it, you’re probably right, and I think you should get it. If you don’t get the appeal, don’t worry about it, the game isn’t for you.

This looks really nice. I have no familiarity with Shin Chan, aside from recognizing the character, but I'm a HUGE fan of Attack of the Friday Monsters and have been dying for something similar. $40 seems a little steep but I'm going to keep a close eye on this. Thanks for putting it on my radar!

This looks really nice. I have no familiarity with Shin Chan, aside from recognizing the character, but I'm a HUGE fan of Attack of the Friday Monsters and have been dying for something similar. $40 seems a little steep but I'm going to keep a close eye on this. Thanks for putting it on my radar!
There was, unfortunately, a pre-order discount price (10% off I think?) that is no longer available.

More reviews are popping up, plus the release date for PS4 has been revealed thanks to the PSN page!

Back
Top Bottom