• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Fun Club Share your favourite video game music 🎶

I was surprised to be unable to find a thread so I thought I'd create one for us all to share our favourite video game music (VGM).

Just one rule: don't blow your load at once, be like Nintendo and their NSO drip-feed (I jest) and post only one at a time so we appreciate each drop.

Also feel free to add some context to what you share. What is it you love about it? What memories does it evoke?

I'll start with this bop from my favourite Sim City game which will probably never see the light of day on a Nintendo console again 😭

This track cleverly reprises an earlier track you will hear at the start of your city building journey. It's an upbeat tune for a bustling city but is quite melancholic at the end of the loop as you reflect on all that you've achieved.

Last edited:

I realize it's not available on Nintendo platforms, but NieR Replicant has such great music, in addition to being an important game regarding story-telling and player agency.

Have you folks ever heard this one? Pretty nice.

Edit - instead of trying to be cute, I actually wanna say this is my favourite version of a true classic video game theme and it might even be the best thing in the whole of Skyward Sword, I love it <3

Last edited:
FITHOS

LUSEC

WECOS

VINOSEC

Still my favourite video game soundtrack of all time. While I think VII and IX are better games - also with stellar soundtracks on their own - Nobuo Uematsu just killed it with VIII. The breadth of genres covered, the catchiness of the melodies, the moods and vibes that this rollercoaster of an OST takes you on.. Just unprecedented for me. Absolute full marks stuff. This is a 4.5 hour beast that I'll happily just plow through over an afternoon. I love it so much.

Hollow Knight - City of Tears

Literally my favorite piece of music ever. I want this played at my funeral.

Absolutely stunning. Thank you for sharing. Hauntingly beautiful.
Have you folks ever heard this one? Pretty nice.

Edit - instead of trying to be cute, I actually wanna say this is my favourite version of a true classic video game theme and it might even be the best thing in the whole of Skyward Sword, I love it <3

I learned the other day that the Fairy Fountain theme, which this arrangement is based off, is in turn based off of the World 3 map theme (Water Land) from Mario Bros. 3. Wild. A great version, I agree.

This is the first piece of video game music that ever caught my attention, from the game that made me a gamer. I've hummed it on almost a daily basis since 1997.

And this is my all-time favorite piece of video game music, that I've hummed almost daily since 1998. Exploring the Lost Woods is the first time I saw video games as works of art.

I didn't know his name until later, but both are Koji Kondo compositions.

I learned the other day that the Fairy Fountain theme, which this arrangement is based off, is in turn based off of the World 3 map theme (Water Land) from Mario Bros. 3. Wild.
I didn't know that and haven't played much Mario Bros 3, must check it out thanks!

Just the three that came into my mind ritgh now. Tropical Freeze has an amazing soundtrack. I love the jazz sound of SM3DW. And that melody from Xenoblade 3 is the definition of tears.

Recently replayed Spirit of Justice, so I'll share couple of my favorites from it.

Basics of the Case doesn't really fit in the usual track types, is not the logic theme, is this new track they made for several situations such as the opening statement in court, and also moments where the lawyers rethink the premises sorrounding the crime, and is soooooo good, it elevates every sequence it plays with this very unique, somber mood, one of the series' best.

Arguably the most triumphant and satisfying track in the series, or at least it really elevates the couple of sequences this is used for to that level. Some of the quotes in that part, so good.

It would seem, Apollo that not one, but two auspicious creatures dwell deep within you: A fierce dragon and a virtuous phoenix that shall scatter the clouds hiding the heavens! I shall join you in your death-defying bluff!

While the song
The one I'm most obsessed with right now:

While it has been memed to death and beyond by now (like many of the games' ost), Rivers in the Desert is just really good (like most of the games's OST). :D

Famicom Detective Club has some of the best music in any Nintendo game IMO. Having a grounded, contemporary setting gives it a voice of its own in Nintendo's catalogue.

Speaking of Hollow Knight,

Sort of kind of unofficial? Only because it was never properly packaged but.. Definitely my favourite piece of music of that game.

While the song

While it has been memed to death and beyond by now (like many of the games' ost), Rivers in the Desert is just really good (like most of the games's OST). :D
I wasn't aware it was being memed. I've only just played P5 this year when it came to the Switch. Lol

Seriously tho, I know it's not a unpopular opinion but this games soundtrack is insane.

Maybe I'm just getting to the TotK hype cycle, but this track has been on my mind recently. I like how the brisk piano matches the gallop of your horse while the slow Zelda theme on the background fits the silent surroundings in nighttime Hyrule.

I’m going to go in a different direction than usual…

I’ll stop because I could just keep going on and on and on…

Genshin Impact’s soundtrack as something special. The amount of it, the sheer variety and quality - it’s be gigantic in the end too. It’s already huge.

Getting this after that quick intro in Peach's Castle hit me hard. Is pretty emblematic to me of Sparks of Hope as a whole, a more confident game in carving its own identity for both the Mario and Rabbids universes, while not new to the former, this level of dramatic music is something I wasn't expecting out of Rabbids, and is really just a little taste of one of their best games with a great music score to go along with it. As an aside, man I love that key art, it just screams "new/different" in a way not too dissimilar to the 3D Mario games.

One of Kirkhope's best.

Just beat prime 3 this morning so:

It's a bit intense but I quite like it.

Also, is playing a song kind of annoying for anyone else on the forum on mobile atm?

Been replaying MM and this track is so good. It takes a familiar theme you've heard in all the different areas, and makes it downright terrifying. You feel like you should not be here. I especially love how long it takes before the familiar notes to kick in. Then the unnerving synths at the 1:10 mark, it's perfect. Koji Kondo was in really top form on this game.

The rumor of a remaster for TTYD to Switch has resulted in the game being on my mind and I wanted to share my favorite song from the game:

I love the techno elements, plus the whole moment and where you are at this point in the game has always been so cool to me.

some of my favorites I’ve been able to find on Spotify. Obviously Nintendo doesn’t realease any of their music there..

Back
Top Bottom