• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Saudi Arabia officially bans Final Fantasy XVI

Has SE done a statement revealing what changes were requested that they didn’t comply with? Because they absolutely should.

inb4 the gay character is a terrible stereotype and people want them removed any way.

I mean lol this could be actually a nice way for game companies that don't want Saudi investment to go.

Make more games with gay characters and it'll probably spook Saudi investment.

inb4 the gay character is a terrible stereotype and people want them removed any way.
Well at least with Yoshi-P's terrible handling of non PoC characters in FF XVI, we can all be sure that the LGBT character will at least be white, so yeah, the usual fart-right morons will probably make their usual crap video after proudly showing their support when Yoshi's Piss said "No forced diversity because... I don't know ! It's bad and stuff !"

If some people choose not to adhere to an agenda, their decision should be respected.
lol I keep turning this post over in my head and I just can’t figure out if it’s in support of final fantasy having some gay characters or uhhhh the government of saudi arabia

(but if it’s the latter I guess the ambiguity is the point!)

lol I keep turning this post over in my head and I just can’t figure out if it’s in support of final fantasy having some gay characters or uhhhh the government of saudi arabia

(but if it’s the latter I guess the ambiguity is the point!)
Yeah to say it's left me confused is an understatement. Who are we supposed to be respecting here exactly

Tell me how you feel about Queer people.
I've prepared a bingo for their answer :

"Leftist agenda"
"LGBT propaganda"
"Representation"
"Respect the historical setting & context"
"I'm not homophobe, but..."
"Forced diversity"
"As a cis man"
"Pronouns on profile"

I think Government officials and their political positions should be separated from ordinary people.

The way you worded that rubbed me the wrong way.

All people are beautiful and loving, it’s just sad sometimes the very few at the top run things very differently from how the rest of the population feels.
i think we're all smart enough to realize when someone says something like that they don't really mean the regular people living in those countries

that is, unless they support their ass backwards governments and their bigotry in which case fuck them too

I think Government officials and their political positions should be separated from ordinary people.

The way you worded that rubbed me the wrong way.

All people are beautiful and loving, it’s just sad sometimes the very few at the top run things very differently from how the rest of the population feels.
I was referring to the people in power who make these decisions and those who support them. However, I wish that "all people are beautiful and loving" was true.
It isn't, there are a lot of lovely people in the world and plenty of really, really horrible ones too.

lmao not homophobes with their whole ass out in the comments

speedy justice for you

like maaaaaybe a 5% chance they meant something else but yikes

NGL if this doesn't get followed up I really hope that they get banned lol
What reason is there for me to be banned? I am not the one being disrespectful here.

elmo-i-dont-know.gif

Being banned based on the worst possible presumption of an ambiguous statement is some resetera shit
My post was a single sentence, not easy to misinterpret. If there's no elaboration, ban 'em. Easy ban to avoid.

Thank you for clarifying : )

I don’t really talk about my personal life online publicly, but I just wanted to mention that I am Asexual myself.

And my parents are from Russia, so I’m ethnically Russian too. And often times it hurts me when I see a lot of bigotry online (not referring to your post, but in general) about how “evil” or “homophobic” Russians are. That’s just not true at all. Both my parents love me as who I am, and all of my Russian friends are the same way as well.

It’s only the tiny minority in power that are sadly the bigots. And they definitely can go F themselves

Russia is still a different country than Saudi Arabia, where people literally get killed for just being gay because it's illegal.

I don't think it gets to that level with just a few people. Otherwise it wouldn't have been so dire.

Anyway, hope SE doesn't give a fuck.

Being banned based on the worst possible presumption of an ambiguous statement is some resetera shit
The use of the word "agenda" specifically sure makes it seem like the poster was being homophobic.

Them refusing to elaborate after 7+ people point this out is pretty damning IMO. If everyone in this thread was interpreting incorrectly, don't you think they'd correct us?

My post was a single sentence, not easy to misinterpret. If there's no elaboration, ban 'em. Easy ban to avoid.
Yours wasn't the post I was calling ambiguous. I know what you were saying, I was disagreeing with it.

Yours wasn't the post I was calling ambiguous. I know what you were saying, I was disagreeing with it.
No I know, I made the point that banning someone for posting something incendiary and ignoring requests for clarification is a net gain, because such a user doesn't provide value to the forum.

What reason is there for me to be banned? I am not the one being disrespectful here.

elmo-i-dont-know.gif
r4QTEb0.png

I mean really, being generous here, I think you should just clarify your stance. It's not that hard. Your post comes across in a way that can mean either thing, one of which is really bad. I think people are in the right to have their doubts. Being focused on just being "disrespected" instead of clarifying your stance isn't exactly inspiring any confidence either.

When queer people like me are in media, no matter how small the role, it is part of a sinister agenda designed to accomplish nebulous aims. This is what gamers actually believe.

"ambiguous statement"?

Funny because what you are trying to imply is some NeoGAF shit. (And I fucking hate ERA too mind you)

When queer people like me are in media, no matter how small the role, it is part of a sinister agenda designed to accomplish nebulous aims. This is what gamers actually believe.
Ssssshh, don’t tell everyone our plan! Otherwise there might still be straight people by 2030!

I know I shouldn't be surprised considering how I saw this in replies to tweets noting SNK got bought by the Bonesaw man back when that happened, but good lord those replies to that tweet in OP... Why the fuck are there fancams of the prince? why the fuck is anyone celebrating this? Just baffles my mind to see that happen anytime the govt does something so, openly, blatantly bigoted.

But yeah glad to see SE didn't cave like Ubisoft did with their games and stood their ground

I'm not sure what the story is here.

FFXVI is hardly the first game Saudi (or China) has banned for internal consumption, despite PIF/Savvy (or Tencent et al.) being big investors in foreign entertainment companies.

I mean lol this could be actually a nice way for game companies that don't want Saudi investment to go.

Make more games with gay characters and it'll probably spook Saudi investment.
We need Tomadachi Life 2 (3? idk titling in japan) and they fufill the 2014 promise

Back
Top Bottom