• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News SaGa Emerald Beyond announced for PC, consoles and mobile, coming April 25th (UPDATE: reviews are out, see threadmarks)

Ramune

they call me carpet
Pronouns
he/they
Didn't see a thread for this yet, but it's exciting to me!

The latest standalone entry in the SaGa franchise, SaGa Emerald Beyond, brings together the very best elements of the beloved series to offer each player their own unique gameplay experience.As players venture across 17 mysterious worlds, they will forge their own unique branching stories that unfold based on their very own choices and actions. With multiple endings and countless scenes to discover, players will experience a unique tale upon each playthrough!

Great news for SaGa fans, and it looks like this builds upon the systems from Scarlet Grace Ambitions as expected. I'm guessing it will be coming to other platforms as well, as most other recent releases have come to PC, PlayStation and mobile too.

Also worth mentioning that many SaGa games are on sale just now. Scarlet Grace Ambitions was received well by genre enthusiasts and fans of the series - it can be a little tricky, and these games can be an acquired taste for sure, but it does have an in-game glossary with tips and explanations of its systems, and it's very satisfying and unique once you get the hang of things.

I never really get too far into SaGa games because of their gameplay and yet I can't stop buying them.

I have a problem (this looks good though).

I thought we were going to get remasters of either Unlimited Saga or SaGa Frontier 2, but I'll gladly take a new entry. This and Unicorn Overlord were my personal highlights in the Direct.

Also confirmed for PS4, PS5, Steam, iOS, Android
Press release confirms that this will also be coming to PS5, PS4, Steam, iOS and Android:

LONDON (Sept. 14, 2023) – Today during the Nintendo Direct show, SQUARE ENIX® revealed SaGa Emerald Beyond, an all-new original adventure in the acclaimed RPG franchise. Featuring music from iconic series composer Kenji Ito and artwork from acclaimed illustrator Satoshi Kuramochi, SaGa Emerald Beyond brings together the core combat and free-form scenario elements of the beloved RPG franchise to deliver the ultimate SaGa experience to fans and newcomers alike. SaGa Emerald Beyond will arrive digitally in 2024 for Nintendo Switch™, PlayStation®5 (PS5®) consoles, PlayStation®4 (PS4®) consoles, PC (STEAM®) and iOS and Android devices.

Also offers more info about the protagonist options:

Players can choose to begin their story as one of the following protagonists. Each possesses the rare ability to see emerald waves that present choices of their destinies:

• Tsunanori Mido – A man who can manipulate kugutsu, or animated puppets, which protect the barrier around his home, Miyako City. When the city is plagued by all kinds of supernatural phenomena, Tsunanori embarks on a journey to other worlds to find four elemental spirits in order to restore order to the spiritual realm.

• Ameya – A witch-in-training who visits Miyako City and lives in secret as a schoolgirl as a part of her graduation exam. After Ameya is attacked by an unknown man, she loses practically all of her magical power and must find a way to regain what was lost and pass her final exam.

• Siugnas – An immortal vampire who rules over Yomi, a world shrouded in darkness, as the Dismal King. However, after being betrayed and driven from his throne, Siugnas finds himself in Brighthome—the gathering place of dead warriors—and must set out on a journey to recover his powers alongside the other warriors in his squadron.

• Diva No.5 – A songstress mech designed to sing and dance from the world of Avalon. After singing a forbidden song, however, Diva’s memory and singing functionality are sealed away, causing her to lose her livelihood and music itself. In her despair, Diva discards her “human” body and, going with the flow, accepts an invitation from a secret society, leaving Avalon behind.

• Bonnie and Formina – Two new recruits and partners on the Capitol City police force who are investigating an assassination attempt on the President. With a key person of interest’s claim that the president is a traitor and a mysterious triangle piece as their only clues, they set off on a journey through other worlds to uncover the hidden truth behind the incident.

Sources: Games Press, Gematsu

More screenshots and a logo at Gematsu as well. Hoping for some nice quality key character art soon, I might change my avatar as the hype builds.

Was that a copy of Tokyo Mirage Sessions combat system? That made me really insterested on it.
Not super familiar with TMS's combat but from my understanding, no not at all

This seems to be an iteration on SaGa Scarlet Grace's combat, which mainly focuses on manipulating the battle timeline (you get stuff like combo attacks for defeating enemies between playable characters on the timeline)

Loved Scarlet Grace and this looks great too! The characters look like a lot of fun, hard to choose who I'll make my main.

The Gematsu article has been updated with a ton more info and lots of screenshots and key art.

SaGa-Emerald-Beyond_2023_09-14-23_002.jpg

A Showstopper mechanic activates when there are no enemies or allies within two tiles of someone on the battle timeline - which enemies can take advantage of as well:

An Opportunity for Furious Onslaught in Unchallenged Isolation

When there are no enemies or allies within two tiles either side of a character’s icon on the timeline, they will enter a state of unchallenged isolation known as a Showstopper. In this state, characters can create combos by using multiple skills and abilities that they know. As such, they become extremely powerful. However, as with United Attacks, enemies can make use of this mechanic as well—so you’ll need to pay close attention to positioning on the timeline.

Due to the conditions required to trigger this state, it occurs more readily in the later stages of a battle, when there are fewer combatants on both sides. Sometimes, it may even decide the ultimate outcome!

Different characters will have different conditions for growth and skill acquisition:

Different Races Add Further Depth to Battles

SaGa Emerald Beyond features a multitude of races alongside its human characters, from monsters to mechs, from kugutsu to the Ephemerals. The different races vary greatly when it comes to conditions for skill acquisition and character growth.

Some races have unique skills available to them, and utilizing the unique characteristics of each race allows for even more advanced strategies.

The screenshots also show combos and combo rates. Hopefully everything comes together well, because this feels like it's setting out to build upon Scarlet Grace's very good battle system while folding back in some other things from throughout the series' history in terms of character growth and battle mechanics.

Loved Scarlet Grace and this looks great too! The characters look like a lot of fun, hard to choose who I'll make my main.

They seem to be placing Tsunanori first in a lot of write-ups so I wonder if he's intended to be the starter character like Urpina was previously, and maybe they'll have a personality quiz again that directs most people to him for their first playthrough. I'm drawn to the fancy vampire or the crime-fighting duo though.

Scarlet Grace is the only Saga game i've ever played but I liked that one and am excited to see how they build on it's combat system here

I'm so glad Kawano gets to keep making these games.

Whatever dirt he's got on other people at Square Enix, utilize to the utmost!

What’s the proper way to get into this franchise? Or is it possible to just jump at any entry without issue?

What’s the proper way to get into this franchise? Or is it possible to just jump at any entry without issue?
Honestly, I'd say two good entries to get your feet wet would be Final Fantasy Legend 2 (aka SaGa 2) and SaGa Frontier. Both are available on Switch, with the former part of the "Collection of Saga".

Honestly, I'd say two good entries to get your feet wet would be Final Fantasy Legend 2 (aka SaGa 2) and SaGa Frontier. Both are available on Switch, with the former part of the "Collection of Saga".

Yeah, my beginner picks would be SaGa Frontier or Scarlet Grace. The former is a manageable length and is one of the more generally popular entries, and the latter has a great battle system (but is much longer and dense with content). Romancing SaGa 3 might also work if you’re a fan of the SNES era of RPGs, and the Gameboy games were a lot of people’s starting point.

The thing to remember with SaGa is that it can be hard and it can be obtuse. It’s easier to get into now as the newer entries and remasters typically have in-game guides, glossaries and tutorials that you can look up, but even then it can still be tricky and its open nature can be daunting. It’s usually lighter on storytelling and character study, not very cinematic, but I think it’s still fun to explore and get a feel for its worlds and lore - there’s a more ambient style of storytelling.

My starters were SF2 and Unlimited, and the latter is considered by many to be one of the worst RPGs everrrrrrr (it shipped without a manual in some territories and has much more blatantly tabletop vibes). But I loved them! It might not click at first and might be something you return to a year later and find it just works for you at that point, or it might be something you enjoy from the get-go (even if you don’t entirely know what you’re doing). I think for me a big part of the series’ appeal is that it is a bit weird and offbeat and offers a unique challenge.

Thanks for the answers. In terms of plot tho this is like FF or FE where most entries are independent?

Thanks for the answers. In terms of plot tho this is like FF or FE where most entries are independent?
Yep, new story and characters each time. Plot is often very light anyway, but there’s no risk of jumping in at the wrong point story-wise.

Yep, new story and characters each time. Plot is often very light anyway, but there’s no risk of jumping in at the wrong point story-wise.
That said, it sounds like Emerald Beyond just might actually be a bit more of a sequel to Scarlet Grace. That or it just might borrow a little bit from various past SaGa games in general.

Either way, Scarlet is a very, very good game, so I'd say you should play it anyway!

That said, it sounds like Emerald Beyond just might actually be a bit more of a sequel to Scarlet Grace. That or it just might borrow a little bit from various past SaGa games in general.

Either way, Scarlet is a very, very good game, so I'd say you should play it anyway!
Yeah, Macha is in the trailer, right? So they may be going for some shared lore, reusing and reinterpreting the character (like all the Cids in Final Fantasy), or maybe they’ll touch on some multiverse stuff with certain characters hopping between entries (given that they sort of do this in the mobile game I think?).

Or yes, possibly a direct sequel! I still think that the more open nature of the games as well as the focus on gameplay means playing Scarlet Grace won’t be a necessity - but it is worth playing imo and since Emerald Beyond is an evolution of that one’s battle system, it will be a good introduction to where the series is at these days.

I'm not too sure if this format of RPG is really my thing, but I do appreciate how well they've explained already what's unique about it. I just remember when Scarlet Grace came out and all I really heard was some hardcore RPG heads proclaiming "you just have to try it, it's so experimental and interesting!" without being very articulate about what particularly is special about it.

I am so excited for this. More scifi, potential explorable areas with Scarlet graces setup.

As someone whose favourite title in the series is Frontier, it makes me super happy to see them returning to more of a sci-fi setting for the series, complete with more "out there" party members than Scarlet Grace had. Very much looking forward to this one!

Some gameplay videos that give a quick (and probably slightly overwhelming!) example of how techs are glimmered mid-battle and the battle timeline moves around in response to everyone's actions (including interruptions):

Also gives a quick look at some recruitable characters.

Cool new trailer from TGS! Thanks to @lemonfresh for flagging it up over in the TGS 2023 megathread of trailers and announcements.

Trying to hype myself up responsibly but unfortunately I cannot do that. Have been back at Scarlet Grace this week and honestly, nothing gives me good brain feelings more than seeing a little lightbulb appear above some weird recent recruit that I'm about to make my MVP until the next recruit comes along.

The Saga's twitter account shared a glimpse of the OST :

There is also a livestream this Friday :

I wonder if it's a cheap release on Switch due to iOS version? Square has never released full priced games on iOS.
The recent remasters went for about $25 so I think this will be priced higher since it's a new game; probably around $40 if digital only and $50 if there is a retail release.

Do you mean cheap to buy or cheap to make?
Cheaper price tag. But yes, doesn't seem like a super budget release, in line with Scalet Grace.
The recent remasters went for about $25 so I think this will be priced higher since it's a new game; probably around $40 if digital only and $50 if there is a retail release.
Yes That's what I'm guessing. $40 on Switch digitally, $30 on iOS.

I wouldn’t expect this to go for that much cheaper than normal S-E budget titles. Scarlet Grace is currently $30 which should be the minimum at launch. I would easily expect $40-50 at launch regardless of iOS.

Trials of Mana was eventually ported to iOS about 10 months after launch and currently sells for less than half of the $49.99 eShop price.

I wonder if it's a cheap release on Switch due to iOS version? Square has never released full priced games on iOS.
There are triple a games coming to ios now like resident evil village and assasins creed mirage so I dont think just cause its ios it will be cheap.

Additional data point: the JP price for both standard physical and digital is 7480¥ which is currently around $52.

This is going to be a mid-tier priced game clearly. It’s not a re-release like Scarlet nor is it on a shoestring budget like Dungeon Encounters or even Voice of Cards.

If I had to guess, I'd say 40-50 USD on Switch/Steam/PS5/PS4 and 25-30 on mobile.

🚨 There’s a “blink and you’ll miss it” Crystal Chronicles reference/easter egg in the new Amaya Aisling trailer at 0:25 🚨

Kawazu has not forgotten the series!

Last edited:
Damn those soundtrack samples are fire. This and Eiyuden Chronicles just a couple days apart.
It’s really a shame that the Romancing games never released outside of Japan originally. Kenji Ito is absolutely up there with Uematsu, Shimomura, and Matsuno in the Square composer pantheon

It’s really a shame that the Romancing games never released outside of Japan originally. Kenji Ito is absolutely up there with Uematsu, Shimomura, and Matsuno in the Square composer pantheon
I would add Nishiki and Soken to that list as well.

April? With Unicorn Overlord coming in March? With Dragon's Dogma 2 coming in March as well? RPG overload.

Speaking of, I got Scarlet Grace: Ambitions on sale, have been eyeing it for a while now.

Oh no, I might consider importing the physical edition. I should talk myself out of that, it's unnecessary.

Speaking of, I got Scarlet Grace: Ambitions on sale, have been eyeing it for a while now.

I hope you enjoy it! I returned to it this year to do some other characters and it made it into my top 4 most played on Switch again, what a game.

April? With Unicorn Overlord coming in March? With Dragon's Dogma 2 coming in March as well? RPG overload.
And FF7 Rebirth and Persona 3R in February I think?

2024 is gonna be a good year for Square-heads, even if so far it’s mostly looking like they’re going to be leaning on mid and lower tier projects after Q1’s FF salvo of Rebirth and XVI DLC (and ports) with only Dawntrail lurking in the wings for later in the year.

The Japanese stream had some gameplay footage that wasn't in the English one.

It's incredible how much of a successor to Frontier 1 this looks to be in regards to setting and characters. We've even got a new transforming superhero!

A batch of info on Siugnas's story and some more of the game's mechanics got released recently.

I think the locations in here might excite me the most. Great art and tantalizing descriptions!

Yomi

Sa-Ga-Emerald-Beyond-Yomi-1.webp

A world ruled by the Dismal King. A dark world ruled by a dark king. Suffering, anger, all of it exists for the Dismal King. Will the darkness last forever?

Brighthome

Sa-Ga-Emerald-Beyond-Brighthome-1.webp

An eternal battlefield. Heroes! An eternal battle awaits you! Only battle can make you shine as heroes! Now is the time to gather at the House of Joy!

The Crowrealm

Sa-Ga-Emerald-Beyond-Crowrealm.webp

Where sand covers everything. No flying birds in the sky, no running beasts on the ground. How did the endless deserts create these gigantic machines? How did the scarecrows come into being?

Back
Top Bottom