• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Rumored Virtua Fighter game announcement coming soon?

TreIII

A Kool Kartoon
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
Story's been around for a day or so, but didn't see a thread on here.

So, known and fairly trusted Sega/Atlus leaker finally started to talk about the Virtua Fighter game that was rumored as part of the new wave of "Super Game" projects they're working on.

Entire write-up is as follows:

• It is online and esports focused and has online and offline modes including customization modes.
  • There are new characters with a modern art style and character artist.
  • It is a game concept that changed many times since 2021 up to now.
  • Streaming and spectating implementation is an important part of this title and Super Game concept.
  • It is a reboot of the Virtua Fighter series in development by current Virtua Fighter staff.
  • It is a title releasing on all major platforms with crossplay and rollback.

This is a Virtua Fighter title that is developed to be a modern competitor to Street Fighter and Tekken with esports concepts and mechanics that are similar to current Street Fighter and other fighting games. It is a concept that evolved a lot.

And there is all new main story and side stories with brand new characters.

And there is an evolution of ranked matches that is similar to modern fighting games. This is a title that is focusing on scaling with the player and their play styles when they play online.

• Daishi Odashima (Soulcalibur IV/V director, planner on the recent Virtua Fighter 5 Ultimate Showdown) is involved in this project.
  • RGG Studio assisted with development (like with VF5US).
  • The main concept is Battle Universe. It is an open space where you can spectate fights.
  • Development began in 2021, but early ideas for this title go back to almost ten years ago.

It is a reboot title with the goal of making Virtua Fighter a popular series worldwide, but it is also Virtua Fighter 6. This is the sequel to Virtua Fighter 5. The development team has carefully improved and implemented new fighting techniques inspired by other games.

Overall, there's more that I like reading than don't. VF is a brand that could use some face-lifts to get back in the game, and bringing back the likes of Kumite/Quest mode is such a great idea, Tekken took it for themselves, recently! And rollback/crossplay is always welcome.

But like some others, I do still hope that they remain grounded in fundamentals and don't change the game TOO much.

Either way, if this much is known, then I guess an announcement may indeed be imminent. EVO Japan at the end of August, perhaps...?

So like, what has this leaker actually gotten right that wasn't obvious or piggybacking.
She nailed the likes of Persona hitting Xbox Game Pass, Tactica DLC and was one of those that alluded to the P3 remake in advance. And before all these Sega revivals were announced at the Keighleys, she got those, too.

At the very least, she seems to fill in where Im a Hero leaves things open and vice-versa, plus state her own information.

if there's one thing about VF that would need to be whipped into shape is its characters. it's the only thing more blander than KoF
I've seen and heard many things about KOF designs. But bland? That's definitely new to me! lol

So like, what has this leaker actually gotten right that wasn't obvious or piggybacking.
I know they said the next Monkey Ball game would be for Apple Arcade which is pretty much wrong, but I wouldn't doubt if it was a Samba De Amigo Party Central situation where there's an Apple Arcade game with basically the same assets, and some key differences like a title change so Nintendo wouldn't be lying by saying it's a "Switch exclusive". And it'd make sense considering Banana Rumble's trailer has a CG part parodying Apple's reveals, which is a little strange for a Nintendo exclusive.

Personally I hope they're wrong just so we don't get a Jet Set Radio game where you have guns.

At the very least, she seems to fill in where Im a Hero leaves things open
I mean considering the only thing Hero's gotten "right" was piggybacking off other people's P3R information I don't know why you'd want to connect the two.

if there's one thing about VF that would need to be whipped into shape is its characters. it's the only thing more blander than KoF

lolwut. First time I ever heard KOF's designs ever considered "bland."

VF could definitely use some punching up for its cast though, mostly in personality. Especially since they have personality, and individual storylines, but they're all on paper and basically none of it has ever been in the games outside stuff like Jacky vs Sarah getting its own stage and theme. While SF is to VF that KOF is to Tekken in many ways, VF felt like it dragged its feet in modernizing its appeal in order to only focus on making some of the best and most technical gameplay around. If they bring that along with RGG-style storytelling and characters, it should be really interesting.

VF designs are kinda like, intentionally bland. There's a bit of character to them, but the series never actually evolved much beyond "this guy is this fighting style" cause that was always VF's thing, just a no nonsense fighting game. Getting crazier with gameplay and character design was kept for Fighting Vipers, and I hope the series get combined as seen once with Fighters Megamix cause no way is that series ever coming back.

KOF designs being bland is some nonsense though. I'd say "overdesigned" and "tryhard" are better criticisms with those character designs than "bland", even if I wouldn't agree either way. A lot of KOF characters are based on fashion trends, which I guess can make some outfits a little too casual, like a huge chunk of the rosters wear either jeans or cargo pants and usually a jacket of some kind, but if anything I think that makes them stand out from other fighting game characters, and there's still enough diversity in the designs to keep things looking cool.

VF's thing is definitely intentionally aiming to be "Grounded," with the characters looking a lot like regular folks and archetypes and with no one slinging around any fireballs, sprouting wings, or anything like that. Though they're "bland," I also wouldn't say it doesn't have any iconic designs though, considering Sarah Bryant has been flat out duplicated by the likes of companies like Namco and even Nintendo. Like, just ask yourself what Samus looked like before VF and then what she looked like immediately afterward, which she still retains to this day. Ever wonder where her moves in Smash Bros with all those flips and kicks came from?

q5tg3b3.gif

Definitely do hope they take the opportunity to do some "Megamix" stuff in at least DLC, if not basegame. RGG Studio should be able to pull off some eccentric Fighting Vipers characters standing alongside the VF cast in a more natural setting.

This would be kinda cool! Now that I'm into fighting games I'm ready to try more of them!

Ain't no way you just said that bro 💀💀💀💀

... Okay, I can admit that some of the characters are just a bit too 90's cool for me to find not bland, mainly just the ones from the original Fatal Fury like Terry Bogard and Geese Howard (even if their concept art is cool af), but there's no way you're saying the series with Ash Crimson, Angel, Vanessa, Leona and especially Ash Crimson, Kyo and K is bland. Those characters belong on a character design pantheon.

VF's thing is definitely intentionally aiming to be "Grounded," with the characters looking a lot like regular folks and archetypes and with no one slinging around any fireballs, sprouting wings, or anything like that. Though they're "bland," I also wouldn't say it doesn't have any iconic designs though, considering Sarah Bryant has been flat out duplicated by the likes of companies like Namco and even Nintendo. Like, just ask yourself what Samus looked like before VF and then what she looked like immediately afterward, which she still retains to this day. Ever wonder where her moves in Smash Bros with all those flips and kicks came from?

q5tg3b3.gif

Definitely do hope they take the opportunity to do some "Megamix" stuff in at least DLC, if not basegame. RGG Studio should be able to pull off some eccentric Fighting Vipers characters standing alongside the VF cast in a more natural setting.
Even so, I think there's definitely potential to have some more pizazz, even if you still aim to be a bit more "grounded" compared to the likes of Tekken, SC and DOA.

Like the thing that encourages me about RGG Studio still (possibly) being in the mix is that these are the very same guys who've buttered their bread on a series of games where the characters and their world seem pretty unremarkable at first, but actually have quite of bit of flair the more you dig in and see them doing awesome things that wouldn't be out of place in a stylish Hong Kong action-movie. And that's exactly the kind of energy that VF's given off, as well. It just needs a bit more "character" to go along with it. Special intros/music tracks and other types of character interactions would go a long way, and that's even before we talk about story/quest modes.

Yeah, RGG seems like it could be the secret sauce for giving VF characters some more "oomf" while staying true to themselves. RGG is just amazing at making a pretty grounded setting have absurd and remarkable things in it for just long enough to leave an impact before returning to the norm. Not to mention how many of their are more or less in line with VF's style of being down to earth, but still standing out enough to be iconic. Kiryu's pretty much just a guy in a suit, but people still love him.

Yeah, it's a potential announcement that resonates with fighting game fans, and especially the Japanese FGC.

EVO JP, next month, at the earliest, or regular EVO in July. Those are where the biggest fighting game announcements tend to be made.

At least cosmetics and stuff, like Ryo and Lan Di outfit parts for Akira and Lau. Though if there's even a small opportunity for Fighting Vipers guests, going full MegaMix with guests that reach out as far as possible would be fun. Lan Di, Kazuma Kiryu, Bahn, Kanna Kirishima, Joe Musashi... maybe if Sonic characters are out of the question, have Sonic Man show up to bring in some Sonic the Fighters moves.

At least cosmetics and stuff, like Ryo and Lan Di outfit parts for Akira and Lau. Though if there's even a small opportunity for Fighting Vipers guests, going full MegaMix with guests that reach out as far as possible would be fun. Lan Di, Kazuma Kiryu, Bahn, Kanna Kirishima, Joe Musashi... maybe if Sonic characters are out of the question, have Sonic Man show up to bring in some Sonic the Fighters moves.
Let's be honest: if any Fighting Vipers character was likely to crossover, it'd probably be Honey, first and foremost. The character so popular, she later got a Sonic OC that's now more popular than she is! That said, it'd be nice to see the genuine article again, after all these years. Sonic Man would be an inspired choice for another "guest", as well.

As for RGG? I doubt they'll buck the rules about "Kiryu doesn't fight women", so why not just use Majima, instead?

I long for the days of Virtua Fighter, I really should pick up the PS4 game just to play around again with some of my mains.

Virtua Fighter 2 and 3 defined what I thought a good fighting game could be, right up there with the Soul Calibur series at its zenith.

Back
Top Bottom