• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Xbox [Rumor] Xbox will host a new Developer_Direct games show with Arkane, Bethesda, and more on Jan 25th at 12pm EST

Josh5890

Yoshi
Founder
Pronouns
He/Him

What you need to know​

• A new Xbox showcase has been rumored for some time now, and we believe we have some concrete information on it finally.
  • Our sources suggest the showcase is called Xbox Developer_Direct, and will feature content from Xbox and Bethesda.
  • We're expecting the show to go live on January 25, at 12PM ET. Although that may be subject to change.
  • Games expected to appear include Redfall, Forza Motorsport, and Minecraft Legends.
  • This will be an intimate look at major games for 2023, as Microsoft seeks to ramp up transparency and frequency on upcoming Xbox games.

PSX 2017 Vibes:
J7TLB90.gif

Also no Starfield means game probably got a full 12 month delay,

no Starfield, huh? I bet that game’s coming out in 2024…

In any case, I’m stoked for Forza! genuinely really excited for that. Forza Horizon simply doesn’t do it for me like 99 laps on Nurburgring

No Starfield would be funny. Probably means a H2 release, which I was expecting from the start.

No Starfield sure is something. It’d be like Sony showing up with no Spider-Man 2, or Nintendo showing up with no ToTK.
If Sony held a SoP right now, I wouldn’t be expecting Spider-Man either. This isn’t a big showcase for Xbox, it sounds like it’s a smaller event.

This sounds like it could be more of a developer deep dive than purely an advertising reel.

I'm personally not a fan of videos where devs speak in glowing terms about what they're creating but I'm interested to see more Forza Motorsport.

I can't believe they will call it officially that way
In any case: gimme those GamePass goods, now!

why isn't Xbox following the 23:00 JST pattern
If the showcase actually has the name Direct in it I will laugh hard

'Intimate look' and increasing 'transparency' makes this sound more like a Microsoft treehouse than a Microsoft direct tbh
a long, long time ago the words "Nintendo Direct" actually meant something, and Directs included developers speaking directly to players

this xbox show might sound like a bootleg but if they do it right it might be the first real direct in years

Xbox Direct
"It's too similar to Nintendo Direct. Change the title"

Xbox Developer Direct
"It's still too similar. We can't just all our presentation a Direct"

Xbox Developer_Direct
"Perfection"

a long, long time ago the words "Nintendo Direct" actually meant something, and Directs included developers speaking directly to players

this xbox show might sound like a bootleg but if they do it right it might be the first real direct in years

Well sure, but I'm not expecting Splatoon at E3 style in depth announcements of new things. I'm expecting treehouse style leisurely chats about announced stuff.

So the adopters of the Direct format are now Playstation, Wholesome Games, Yacht Club Games, Xbox and counting?

This sounds like it could be more of a developer deep dive than purely an advertising reel.

I'm personally not a fan of videos where devs speak in glowing terms about what they're creating but I'm interested to see more Forza Motorsport.
Instead of giving release dates each developer interview will just end with a vague “and we cant wait for you to experience it later this year!”

I thought Stadia Connect was the funniest name, but Xbox proves again that it will always be the worst at naming things
Who cares? We need information and that's what matters.

Looking forward to this, they need to talk and put release dates (or at least windows) down for a number of games.

I suspect there’s no mention of Starfield because Microsoft doesn’t want Redfall’s lunch to be eaten. I wouldn’t be surprised if Starfield is strategically released, rather than delayed.

Excited for this!

I suspect there’s no mention of Starfield because Microsoft doesn’t want Redfall’s lunch to be eaten. I wouldn’t be surprised if Starfield is strategically released, rather than delayed.

I was thinking along the same lines. They've got other stuff coming first, and I wouldn't be surprised if Starfield gets its very own presentation when it's closer to launch.

'Intimate look' and increasing 'transparency' makes this sound more like a Microsoft treehouse than a Microsoft direct tbh

Yup.

It also seems like basically a preview for the first half of the year, so if Starfield is getting delayed to the back half of the year (and I think it almost certainly is at this point) it sort of makes sense why it wouldn’t be here. But hopefully we get release dates for Forza, Redfall, Minecraft Legends.

Didn't the Starfield FAQ page that launched like what, last week(?) say it was coming in the first half of 2023? Seems to me it's more than likely just a strategy rather than the game being delayed until H2 2023. Which still, wouldn't surprise me if it happened.
Also finally some ARK II gameplay maybe? The game's got a Game Pass deal and some sort of Xbox exclusivity going on so I'm hoping to see it there, it was announced at TGA 2020 and haven't seen gameplay yet! It's supposed to come out first half of this year too!

Who cares? We need information and that's what matters.

Looking forward to this, they need to talk and put release dates (or at least windows) down for a number of games.
Definitely a step in the right direction. I'm hoping they have some good stuff.

Didn't the Starfield FAQ page that launched like what, last week(?) say it was coming in the first half of 2023?
That doesn’t necessarily mean much. They’re going to use the publicly announced release date in their marketing materials until the moment they officially delay it.

I wonder if there's a chance they'll show the next game from inXile Entertainment here. It's been almost 3 years since Wasteland 3 released. Though if they've had an increase in budget for their next game as many suspect then it could still be years away I guess.

Didn't the Starfield FAQ page that launched like what, last week(?) say it was coming in the first half of 2023?
I think they're gonna stick to this; Starfield is on the road to launch, ready or not! (It's a Bethesda game so probably not fully, right away lol) But Redfall comes first

Even if it might be true, this should still probably be tagged as rumored?

I'm sure if Starfield is not there, it'll get it's own dedicated presentation at some point - feels like it could carry it's own developer_direct ;P

I wonder if there's a chance they'll show the next game from inXile Entertainment here. It's been almost 3 years since Wasteland 3 released. Though if they've had an increase in budget for their next game as many suspect then it could still be years away I guess.
To me, this really seems like a “here’s our slate for the first half of 2023” sort of thing, more than a “here’s a bunch of heretofore unannounced games” sort of thing. Microsoft has more than enough announced but unreleased games at this point; I wouldn’t be surprised if they wanted to release a few before announcing even more.

A late January event lines up exactly with when the Elder Scrolls Online expansion has been announced each year, so I’m sure we’ll see that, but that might be the only “new” title.

To me, this really seems like a “here’s our slate for the first half of 2023” sort of thing, more than a “here’s a bunch of heretofore unannounced games” sort of thing. Microsoft has more than enough announced but unreleased games at this point; I wouldn’t be surprised if they wanted to release a few before announcing even more.
Tbh I don’t think people want that many new announcements; they just want, like, any of the non-Bethesda titles that aren’t Forza - Microsoft’s most reliable franchise - to surface again after years of barely anything/nothing.

Hellblade 2, Avowed, Everwild, State of Decay 3, Perfect Dark, Contraband, Fable, Project: Mara, The Outer Worlds 2, and that Kojima games are all just in the ether with no guarantee of a release within the next year, two years, or more. It’s like they have 11 different Metroid Prime 4s lol

no Starfield, huh? I bet that game’s coming out in 2024…

In any case, I’m stoked for Forza! genuinely really excited for that. Forza Horizon simply doesn’t do it for me like 99 laps on Nurburgring
my feelings exactly. starfield will come when it comes. Forza is more important for me at the moment.

Tbh I don’t think people want that many new announcements; they just want, like, any of the non-Bethesda titles that aren’t Forza - Microsoft’s most reliable franchise - to surface again after years of barely anything/nothing.

Hellblade 2, Avowed, Everwild, State of Decay 3, Perfect Dark, Contraband, Fable, Project: Mara, The Outer Worlds 2, and that Kojima games are all just in the ether with no guarantee of a release within the next year, two years, or more. It’s like they have 11 different Metroid Prime 4s lol

Right. I think that’s going to be an E3 sort of thing, though, not a random Developer_Direct in January sort of thing.

If we look at the list of absolutely safe bets for this presentation – Minecraft Legends, Redfall, Forza, a new ESO expansion, probably a marketing beat for AoE II on Xbox which releases the following week – and add in, like, any third party content (Silksong?), plus potential updates for live service games like Sea of Thieves and Grounded, it’s already a decently full presentation. At a certain point they’re talking about enough games. They don’t need to randomly show a new Avowed trailer with a vague 2024 release date. Especially if all of the games they’re talking about are coming out by the end of June.

Last edited:
Right. I think that’s going to be an E3 sort of thing, though, not a random Developer_Direct in January sort of thing.
Hopefully! E3 really should be a blowout for them after the last few years of relative calm alongside their Bethesda inheritance.

Though personally I’m not expecting much. None of those games feel like they’re in any way ‘imminent.’

I hope Nintendo lawyers go after them using the Direct name considering they went after me last week for dreaming about one of their franchises without their permission.

I hope Nintendo lawyers go after them using the Direct name considering they went after me last week for dreaming about one of their franchises without their permission.
Microsoft has used “Direct” branding for their gaming technologies longer than Nintendo has. The Xbox is named after one of them!

A late January event lines up exactly with when the Elder Scrolls Online expansion has been announced each year, so I’m sure we’ll see that, but that might be the only “new” title.
I agree with this. Was hoping their next game was potentially close but it's most likely not lol.

It’s so funny that the Direct format has been so thoroughly cribbed when you consider the reason Nintendo had to go with that format to begin with - Wii era publications and websites being so openly hostile about ‘casual’, non-HD games that they were burying Nintendo news in favour of Sony and Microsoft’s offerings. Now here we are all these years later and the format’s been adopted right down to the name by a host of companies.

Developer underscore Direct makes me think this is more of a deep dive into the technicals and gameplay designs.

As an Arkane fan I’m obliged to learn more about Redfall

I'd like to see Fallout 76 get a current-gen version and crossplay.

Back
Top Bottom