• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

News Rumor: What to expect from the Xbox Games Showcase 2024: A roadmap for the future, and big questions answered — but will you like the answers?

sagadego20

Paratroopa
Pronouns
He/Him

've heard via trusted sources that State of Decay 3 does look far more impressive than its predecessor, with more attention to visual presentation being a core pillar. In addition, State of Decay 3 will also lean more heavily into narrative elements to immerse you in the game's world. State of Decay 3 will try to work individual community members backstories more viscerally into gameplay, to make their trials more impactful and immersive.

The Coalition has also been working hard to help some of Microsoft's other studios squeeze more juice out of the Unreal Engine, and we've seen some of the fruits of that in games like Hellblade 2 more recently. But now, it might be time for The Coalition to step out of the shadows, with rumors abound that a Gears of War 6 reveal may be on the docket.

The Initiative's entire structure was upended too during the development of Perfect Dark, moving from a flat structure to something of a more traditional format. Contraband, formerly (and exclusively) revealed by us as Project Typhoon has also had some difficult development since its reveal, owing to the pandemic in part, but also due to departing key directorial staff. At least in the case of one of these, I've heard that Perfect Dark is shaping up nicely now.

Why are they bringing back Blue Dragon.

Are there more than 1000 total people who care about Blue Dragon.
I was just thinking that, out of all the series, one would think the grittiness of Lost Odyssey would make a bigger dent on the xbox audience. I would not be surprise if this game is multiplat.

Toriyama passed away this year.

Also, Akira Toriyama's character design is leaps, bounds, and gallops ahead of titles like Lost Odyssey. It's a part of american pop culture now. No better time than now to revisit Toriyama's smaller projects like Blue Dragon and Sand Land.

Don't you dare Jez, don't you ever give me hope on Blue Dragon!

Honestly, I don't think there's a new BD game is coming as Mistwalker is no longer that big studio. Probably a multiplat remaster for all platforms. Nintendo DS got the two sequels to the game but not the first game so it makes sense. Makes me wonder if MS planning to release all three of their moneyhatted JRPG's: The Lost Odyssey and Infinite Undiscovery.

Iron Galaxy being on Killer Instinct also gives me hope for a Switch port. Their recent Rare drops on NSO might be a clue for their future ports. Battletoads, KI.

It's a huge JRPG with Toriyama art. On right platforms, could be a big success in Japan. Two DS games did sell pretty well.

Killer Instinct 2 by Iron Galaxy is an extremely safe call to make but I really wonder how much dev time IG would have on a project like that?

I really doubt MS would be stupid to do the gung ho, Double Helix style 'make this shit in 11 months and let that shit ROCK' this time around now that they have a dedicated partner in Iron Galaxy to do this. There's also questions about how the seasonal model and content rollout would be implemented. It'll be interesting to see how they approach it.

As for multiplatform ports, KI 2 would be the marquee title for MS to push onto Switch 2. Wonder how a Nintendo audience would take to seeing that franchise again.

Perfect Dark gonna get a re-reveal here? That would be wild considering the rumors we heard just a few weeks ago about it not being in a good state. Gears 6, along with a package of the first 3 Gears games would be incredible as well. And of course, I'll get hype over any Forza Horizon showings.

Never played Blue Dragon, would love to have it on the Switch. RIP Toriyama sensei.

Also, Akira Toriyama's character design is leaps, bounds, and gallops ahead of titles like Lost Odyssey. It's a part of american pop culture now. No better time than now to revisit Toriyama's smaller projects like Blue Dragon and Sand Land.

Sand Land just released and was maybe the biggest bomb of the year in terms of just how few units it sold.

I have no interest in what Xbox is doing but Blue Dragon would be pretty sick just because it's so out of left field. JRPG fans on Xbox platforms need a little love too.

Sand Land just released and was maybe the biggest bomb of the year in terms of just how few units it sold.
this doesn't really go against the statement I made. I did not make any allusion to sales potential in the post you are replying to.

Heck, I’d be stoked if this was even just a Blue Dragon Switch port. More people should play Blue Dragon! And Lost Odyssey, for that matter.

In fact, Microsoft should bring way more of its 360 catalog to Switch!

man if State of Decay 3 surprise releases this year and is at least as good as 2 easy choice for my 2024 GOTY

Same with Doom Year Zero if it plays like Eternal

Heck, I’d be stoked if this was even just a Blue Dragon Switch port. More people should play Blue Dragon! And Lost Odyssey, for that matter.

In fact, Microsoft should bring way more of its 360 catalog to Switch!
Imagine if we get that Gears collection that this article is rumoring about on the Switch. Three great 3rd person shooters in one package, boom.

If all this comes to PC I’ll be happy, be nice if they delve into the back catalogue and bring older games to PC like Crackdown 1 & 2, Fable 2 & 3 and Rare Replay (Bring that to Switch too)

I don't know how likely any of this is. But the idea of an Xbox Showcase that spends any significant length of time talking about multiplatform ports of their first-party library will be surreal.

I quite enjoyed gears 5 when I played it with my cousin. Gears 6 might be cool as well. Tho I don’t have an Xbox anymore

I wonder if Mistwalker is finally getting someone to port their games. I'd love to see Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and Fantasian all get announcements this summer. The Last Story would be nice too if Nintendo would allow it.

I'm one of those people so I'm glad it might happen.

Don't you dare Jez, don't you ever give me hope on Blue Dragon!

Honestly, I don't think there's a new BD game is coming as Mistwalker is no longer that big studio. Probably a multiplat remaster for all platforms. Nintendo DS got the two sequels to the game but not the first game so it makes sense. Makes me wonder if MS planning to release all three of their moneyhatted JRPG's: The Lost Odyssey and Infinite Undiscovery.

Iron Galaxy being on Killer Instinct also gives me hope for a Switch port. Their recent Rare drops on NSO might be a clue for their future ports. Battletoads, KI.

It's a huge JRPG with Toriyama art. On right platforms, could be a big success in Japan. Two DS games did sell pretty well.
They were never a big studio. Mistwalker is more like Yuji Horii's Armor Project, a small studio in between the publisher and developer who oversees these projects. That being said I'd be just as shocked to see a new Blue Dragon game. I'm thinking a publisher has picked up their games and contracted a porting studio to bring them to more platforms.

Last edited:

Series was fairly popular in Japan when it came out around 2007 or so. In fact, for the anime, it constantly made it into the top 10 anime of that week with hanging around 6% or so range for viewership (which was pretty high for TV Tokyo at that time). So yes, it was actually popular. Maybe less so in the west, but plenty of people DID care about it.

Well that would explain why there's a dynamic Blue Dragon theme on the Xbox Dashboard.

FYI, I stopped playing the game when I saw that in order to change the voice language, you have to restart the game from scratch.
I don't mean "Reset the game" or "Close the app, restart".

No, I mean :
Go back to the main menu. Click "New Game", choose your language and play the game from the beginning.

The.
Stupiddest.
Thing.
Ever.

Not gonna lie, Blue Dragon would be the first game i would actually feel sad for not owning a Xbox, if that wouldn't be one of the games already part of their new multiplatform strategy.

And while they're at it, do something with Lost Odyssey, too. I was never able to finish the game on X360 due to the last disc being buggy.

Blue Dragon still has one of the hypest, most-nonsense, regular battle themes ever. If that theme doesn't push you up, you're dead inside.

I expect for Xbox to announce they're winding down their console production and leaving the console market by 2026. Then some trailers for Bethesda and CoD games for PC and PS5. Anything other than that would be a surprise

I care more about Blue Dragon than I do about most of MS’s other stuff, I’d be happy to see it.

I don't think it was only greenlit that recently if it's here.

But anyway, I would fully expect such a thing to be full multiplat. BD sold good on Xbox 360 in Japan for the platform it was for... So I could see a new one doing pretty good as a Switch/Switch 2 game there (moreso if it comes out before DQ12, not that I'm saying it would sell DQ numbers or even eat DQ's lunch however)

let-s-go-mad-muscle-dwayne-johnson-lauh17v12xckxokq.gif

3954cd870b22cd5b0fd141afc0bc4115.gif

I don't know how likely any of this is. But the idea of an Xbox Showcase that spends any significant length of time talking about multiplatform ports of their first-party library will be surreal.
I mean hardcore Playstation fanboys are becoming pretty irritated that Playstation state of play dedicates a lot of time on hyping coming PC ports, so that will be the future of Xbox as well, with the difference that they will hype ports to other consoles as well in their showcases.

While I really like this song ; I always felt it was out of place in the game.
A total tone shift that disconnected me.

In my opinion, it was better used as a boss theme in Barkley Shut up and Jam : Gaiden because this game was total nonsense so it didn't felt out of place.

With how Phil had been running ship for the past who knows how many years, I have legit reached the point where I expect nothing and will probably still be disappointed. Honestly, its a good thing I bought the X for its stellar Backwards Compatibility program, because good lord, the thing is not good for much else.

I quite enjoyed gears 5 when I played it with my cousin. Gears 6 might be cool as well. Tho I don’t have an Xbox anymore
Gears 6 would be nice, tbh. It's been weird to see one of the 360's tentpole titles become... a footnote. And gears 5 was really good, too.

If all this comes to PC I’ll be happy, be nice if they delve into the back catalogue and bring older games to PC like Crackdown 1 & 2, Fable 2 & 3 and Rare Replay (Bring that to Switch too)
MS doesn't not release on PC anymore for new releases, so it's guaranteed. Back catalog is up in the air if they're not doing any more updates

They were never a big studio. Mistwalker is more like Yuji Horii's Armor Project, a small studio in between the publisher and developer who oversees these projects. That being said I'd be just as shocked to see a new Blue Dragon game. I'm thinking a publisher has picked up their games and contracted a porting studio to bring them to more platforms.
You mean to say Artoon actually did all that?

Honestly, it's actually believable. I knew Artoon mostly for their DS stuff, but they did few home console caliber stuff as well, such as Blinx games for the original Xbox.

Gears 6 would be nice, tbh. It's been weird to see one of the 360's tentpole titles become... a footnote. And gears 5 was really good, too.
Yeah. It’s very strange their handling of Gears. It was also one of the reason to own an Xbox. Gears 1-3 were pretty amazing games back in the day and were highly acclaim. Even if 4 and 5 didn’t reach the highs of the original 3. I feel that’s an IP where they were close to getting there again.

The only thing that makes me excited about possible Mistwalker re-releases is the prospect of getting to play Blue Dragon and especially Lost Odyssey on non-MS systems. Because there’s a snowball’s chance in hell those won’t hit Switch and PC if they want to sell in Japan.

Last edited:
I doubt it's a new Blue Dragon so soon after Toriyama's passing, unless it's been in production for a while and he actually got to finish all the art for it.

I knew one guy back when it came out. He hyped it up to hell and back. When it came out and he played it however, he never spoke of it or played a turn based RPG ever again lol

big question will be how they handle multiplatform announcements. I'm guessing everything here will only be announced for Xbox and PC while PS5 and Drake announcements will come later

With how Phil had been running ship for the past who knows how many years, I have legit reached the point where I expect nothing and will probably still be disappointed. Honestly, its a good thing I bought the X for its stellar Backwards Compatibility program, because good lord, the thing is not good for much else.
The showcases have generally been good under Phil, which is a silver lining. Everything else is going to shit, but I can at least be fairly confident in a quality slate of announcements every June from Xbox.

I wonder how they will proceed with the new CoD. :unsure:
Didn't the deal between Microsoft and Nintendo say that all CoD games for the next 10 years have to be released on a Nintendo platform on the same day that those games are released on other platforms? At the time this deal was made, Nintendo and Microsoft probably assumed that the Switch 2 would be available by the end of 2024.

big question will be how they handle multiplatform announcements. I'm guessing everything here will only be announced for Xbox and PC while PS5 and Drake announcements will come later
Every MS announcement for Switch was in Directs and Indie Worlds. I don't think it'll be different here, we'll get Switch announcements in the next month's Direct.

I'm not sure what they planned for the successor in its first year but I'm sure as hell they're not done with current Switch. Next "batch" will be more interesting than the first.

Are they gonna announce that they're acquiring Mistwalker in an unprecedented Japanese partenership and drop a new Blue Dragon, watch it not reach expectated (an unrealistic) numbers, and close the studio ?

Nothing they could show could actually made me interested in their stuff anymore.

Extremely excited to see the new Doom, honestly everything is the cherry on top for me after that lol it'll be interesting to see if it's a bit of a reset and if so, where ID take things this time, Doom Eternal and especially the DLC felt like they have very thoroughly explored that gameplay loop and pushed it to the highest level. That said, I'm also really looking forward to seeing Avowed and more of Machine Games' Indiana Jones game as well. With the rumour being that the next Gears will be revealed too, it would take a lot for this year's showcase to disappoint me honestly. Microsoft/Xbox have been a downer recently on the business level but I continue to be excited to see what their studios are up to, lots of great teams and talent working away and doing cool things there.

And I want like crazy to play Sand Land for the reasons @Silky lined out but unfortunately the marketing was such that I didn't even realize it had released and it didn't release on a system I own so if it bombed maybe it's got nothing to do with Toriyama?

And I want like crazy to play Sand Land for the reasons @Silky lined out but unfortunately the marketing was such that I didn't even realize it had released and it didn't release on a system I own so if it bombed maybe it's got nothing to do with Toriyama?

Sand Land got pretty aggressive marketing with constant trailers and a demo (but the demo was extremely bad so that probably didn't help).

Sand Land also released on PS4, PS5, Xbox Series X and S, and extremely low spec PCs so I don't know if availability was its issue either.

Back
Top Bottom