• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

Saw Ys X got a new trailer earlier today. Finally sat down to watch it and it looks pretty rad! Might be a year until we get to play it, I imagine at least Kuro No Kiseki will be up next for NISA, but I hope we get to play it sooner than later!

Saw Ys X got a new trailer earlier today. Finally sat down to watch it and it looks pretty rad! Might be a year until we get to play it, I imagine at least Kuro No Kiseki will be up next for NISA, but I hope we get to play it sooner than later!

this trailer screams peak fiction to me

So I beat the Luca Goers in the Blitzball Tournament in FFX and I know want to make a t-shirt:

shirtffxaxew7.jpg

Well I did it, I got all the GF’s in FFVIII*(excluding Siren which was before I looked up a guide so I have to get in the final dungeon). Was probably more work than I had to do to beat the game but shrug. I’m having fun. Now for a food break

I don’t know a ton about FFX but isn’t it that one of the early “best teams” is actually the worst due to their awful growth rate?

(I’m on VIII. Still got IX before it too)

You’re stronger than me, I spent like 10 minutes on the tutorial and didn’t get a single goal
Yooooo I got you!

I did the same at first. Then I looked up guides on the internet with tips like "don't score in the first half, just pass so you can get skills during break and then pass the ball to that and that and have him swim on the bottom side towards the goal and blah blah blah". I was like "fuck that noise".

I just started the tournament and watched the radar in the right bottom who of my team was mostly free and passed as soon as possible. I made sure Tidus scored the goals since he has the Jecht Shot and high stamina and that way it was so freaking easy!

Until this day, Waka celestial weapon is the only one I've never got. It easier to dodge the thunders than trying to win the goddamn blitzball
Now tips on how to do the Thunder Plains would be very welcome lmao!

Having just done this segment the only advice I can give is to brute force it and maybe grind around save spots, then just run away while traversing the field

Also keep your physical attacks (Auron especially) strong for the Iron Giant

I’ve been replaying one of my favorite rpgs lately, oblivion. When I was a kid, it was games like this and kotor that got me into rpgs so it’s a little special for me. Game has been a blast to revisit too

I am not a fan of this first Seymour fight in the ice temple, least of all because Yuna is inaccessible to upgrade before the fight yet she's kind of essential to it

His spells pretty much OHKO my party members

Then compounding all of that you have unskippable cutscenes

Yesterday I finally fully finished Trails Into Reverie after 124 hours. I wanted to share my post I wrote earlier today in the ST:

Late last night I finally fully finished Trails Into Reverie after 124 hours of adventure! I really enjoyed the Coda content and tackling the big dungeon. I mixed up my teams often which kept it fresh and I really enjoyed how many bosses Reverie regularly throws at you in the TRC given the combat regularly shines best then. Only the very last three floors of the final stratum did I just run through since enemies were starting to run away from me with my high levels and also the meaningful rewards dried up. My favorite other stuff in this block was definitely recruiting the last party member who was a pleasant surprise, getting more Vantage Masters in, and the daydreams. I especially dug Estelle’s, Ash’s, and the Calvard daydreams.

Reverie is my new personal GOTY front runner at this point and I think it’s going to be tough to beat. It’s simultaneously a wonderful conclusion to the ten RPGs and more so far that somehow gave us one meaningful last adventure and goodbye with an incredibly large extended cast, but it also in its last moments teased an exciting future ahead for the series with Calvard. What an amazing adventure and I’m walking away so hyped for the Kuro games.
I also wrote up a Trails ranking post right below it in the ST that I just barely posted. It has spoilers for everything but Reverie, so I’ll only share my rankings here. I included the anime for fun!

12 Trails in the Sky Complete
11 Trails of Cold Steel - Northern War
10 Trails in the Sky The 3rd
9 Trails of Cold Steel
8 Trails of Cold Steel IV
7 Trails of Cold Steel II
6 Trails From Zero
5 Trails of Cold Steel III
4 Trails To Azure
3 Trails Into Reverie
2 Trails in the Sky SC
1 Trails in the Sky

I played three colossal games back to back with Zelda TK, Final Fantasy XVI, and Trails Into Reverie so I’m very excited to take a break from enoromous games for a good long while. I’ll be playing Pikmin 4 finally now and then it’s either my next RPG This Way Madness Lies or Rain Code.

I can’t believe we are only a month away though from the next Trails game with Nayuta coming out on September 19th. I put in to do the ST for that game and it’s a spinoff with Ys-like action where you don’t need to play any of the others so I hope others here will be joining me when the time comes :)

Beat Seymour and that Wendigo. Shiva is an incredibly useful summon, and a hell of a cool design

Also this theme is fantastic

Bamco is finally fixing the missing effects on symphonia

• Fixed an issue where the background would not display, and the game would go dark when playing a “skit.”
  • Fixed an issue where the background would go blank when opening the menu screen.
  • Fixed an issue where the battle start sequence would not play when encountering an enemy in the field or a dungeon.
  • Fixed an issue that caused the game to become inoperable in some dungeons.
  • Other minor bugs have been fixed.

Bamco is finally fixing the missing effects on symphonia

Woah, unexpected. I figured they had given up at this point.

I may actually give this a chance if they can fix most of the lingering issues.

The more egregious issues with this port (for me) still exist in the PS3 verion, like the skipped English dialog, so I don't have much hope for that.

I decided to go ahead and upgrade to the $50 NSO tier the other day and started playing the original Paper Mario. I played it once before on Wii VC but don't remember too much. I've made it up to the Toy Box chapter and I'm having a good time. Primarily focusing on badge points and pumping out damage at the cost of health. I'm not great at timing so this might not pay off. My muscle memory for these games is completely tied to the gamecube controller and I find myself frantically mashing my thumb between the face buttons trying to find big green one.

I enjoy the amount of things there are to do between chapters too, but anyone who says this game doesn't have the backtracking problems that TTYD did, never tried doing all the Koopa mayor's favors, the letter delivery quest chain, or the radio contests. And it seems you can go back and forth between towns to get the quiz guy to show up and essentially farm star pieces off him. I did that a bit to get the Power Plus badge as soon as possible.

I decided to go ahead and upgrade to the $50 NSO tier the other day and started playing the original Paper Mario. I played it once before on Wii VC but don't remember too much. I've made it up to the Toy Box chapter and I'm having a good time. Primarily focusing on badge points and pumping out damage at the cost of health. I'm not great at timing so this might not pay off. My muscle memory for these games is completely tied to the gamecube controller and I find myself frantically mashing my thumb between the face buttons trying to find big green one.

I enjoy the amount of things there are to do between chapters too, but anyone who says this game doesn't have the backtracking problems that TTYD did, never tried doing all the Koopa mayor's favors, the letter delivery quest chain, or the radio contests. And it seems you can go back and forth between towns to get the quiz guy to show up and essentially farm star pieces off him. I did that a bit to get the Power Plus badge as soon as possible.
It's undeniable the sidequests have backtracking in them (this is true of pretty much all sidequests in games), but it's far less pronounced in the main storyline. There's nothing as bad as chapter 4 in TTYD and I say this as someone who loves both of the first two PMs.

It's undeniable the sidequests have backtracking in them (this is true of pretty much all sidequests in games), but it's far less pronounced in the main storyline. There's nothing as bad as chapter 4 in TTYD and I say this as someone who loves both of the first two PMs.
Oh for sure, I just had to laugh at his endless favor quest and how I feel compelled to keep doing them because the promise of star pieces is a hell of a drug

I have entered what I assume is the final dungeon of FFVIII! I’ll probably finish tomorrow. Hopefully. May try to just focus on it instead of the other project I’ve been working on

I have entered what I assume is the final dungeon of FFVIII! I’ll probably finish tomorrow. Hopefully. May try to just focus on it instead of the other project I’ve been working on
The final dungeon slaps, it's one of the best in the series IMO. Excellent music helps, as usual!

Playing through FF16 and it got me in an action RPG mood so I picked up Tales of Arise for $16. I'll probably play it after I finish FF16 and play through the Ghost of Tsushima DLC.

Well I did it it’s done

IMG_7134.jpg

Of course I meant the GFs. I’m only halfway through the castle seals and due to some unbalance leveling I’m having a tough time thanks to squall being higher than the rest of my team

Well I did it it’s done

IMG_7134.jpg

Of course I meant the GFs. I’m only halfway through the castle seals and due to some unbalance leveling I’m having a tough time thanks to squall being higher than the rest of my team
The end of the game is one of if not the only moment where you can take Squall out of your party. You can get some levels with the other characters then which is very helpful. I don’t know if the game only cares about Squall’s level or the highest level party member when it comes to level scaling however as I never tested it. The other levels made a huge difference for the final boss at least.

The end of the game is one of if not the only moment where you can take Squall out of your party. You can get some levels with the other characters then which is very helpful. I don’t know if the game only cares about Squall’s level or the highest level party member when it comes to level scaling however as I never tested it. The other levels made a huge difference for the final boss at least.
IIRC enemy level is actually calculated based on the avarage level of your current party members +/- a random 20%

Well after making the final battle extra hard on accident by only junctioning half the characters

Well that’s FFVIII down! Got me a bit teary in the end, was an excellent ride even if the combat system is as vague and overconvuluted as heck, thank goodness for the remastered cheats. Got it done in bit under 40 hours. Will probably wait to do it’s songs in Theatrhythm for a bit tho. Had a lot of fun with it. Also the implication is that Raine and Laguna are Squall’s parents(and that Ellone is his half sister) right? but yeah all done and somehow pulled off all the GF’s even if it was more work as a result

Now what’s next, FFIX, P3P or Ryza… (Star ocean first departure is also an option but not sure I’m up for the system vagueness)

Started Final Fantasy X HD and made it to Kilika.

What's the general length of a playthrough? Just kinda trying to make a roadmap for how long I'll be at it.

Started Final Fantasy X HD and made it to Kilika.

What's the general length of a playthrough? Just kinda trying to make a roadmap for how long I'll be at it.

It's about 40 - 50 hours, although it would take longer and be less fun to get all the celestial weapons.

Big oof for my buddy, he informed me that over a decade ago he had all 4 copies of .hack and the ova's, and sold them as a collection for $50 ☠️

Big oof for my buddy, he informed me that over a decade ago he had all 4 copies of .hack and the ova's, and sold them as a collection for $50 ☠️o
Youch… which reminds me the gu collection on switch is another option for my next rpg. Leaning P3P or Ryza ttho

After finishing P3P, I continued Trails in the Sky. But I am not rushing it. I was in the mood for some action rpg, so I started Yakuza 0. Not sure I'll finish it, because I know the story too well by this point. But it still feels just perfect to play.

I am swimming in incredible rpgs. 😅

I 100% wrapped up Pikmin 4 yesterday, so I’ve moved on to my next RPG This Way Madness Lies! I’ve liked all of the Zeboyd RPGs I’ve played, but I’ve never actually finished one before. This one though has theming I’m interested in, both magical girls and to a lesser extent Shakespeare, so I was pretty excited to check this one out and I am fully committed to finishing it from the start. Like other Zeboyd games, the pacing here is very tight and there is a focus on making decisive interesting choices throughout its systems. For example, as the party levels up together, each character can equip three traits from their growing unique pools that serve to give a specific ability/buff and stat boosts. If you just go for your favorite abilities then your stats may suffer.

The game flow is pretty straightforward as if you aren’t in a dungeon you are in a slice of life cutscenes only intermission of sorts where it does often let you make a few choices to see different scenes entirely. I’m 3.5 hours in which is seemingly halfway through and I wish the game had longer break sections in particular. I like the characters, but I don’t feel I know them too well either because the game is so fast paced. The combat is great, probably the best feature of the game, but there is a lot packed in here which can get a little draining as it regularly demands attention so again a little more downtime would have been appreciated. My only other complaint is I’ve only read so much Shakespeare and thus far it hasn’t hit on too much I’m familiar with which is a slight bummer, but I do appreciate they sneak in some more Shakespeare in the regular plays between dungeons and in class quizzes. My favorite part of the Shakespeare theme is the translator feature that does have some good jokes tucked in it that I appreciate.

Anyway, this is such a short game I’ll probably write another post when I beat it, but for now yes I’m having a good time.

Looking at the reviews for Sea of Stars, I kinda wonder how fans would react if Square outsourced a Chrono Trigger remake (or dare I dream, a sequel) to Sabotage... 👀

Looking at the reviews for Sea of Stars, I kinda wonder how fans would react if Square outsourced a Chrono Trigger remake (or dare I dream, a sequel) to Sabotage... 👀
Simon Andersen is out there, just waiting to put these sprites to use:

This week I finally sat down to focus on Panzer Dragoon Saga, and it feels like it came from the other timeline where we all started making tightly-written Chrono Trigger-length RPGs instead of 60+ hour epics. I'm 7 hours in and at disc 3!

The ambition on display is incredible--a January '98 RPG with no pre-rendered backgrounds, every line voice-acted, large open areas, fast loading, and a day-night cycle...feels like Team Andromeda did everything you possibly could on Saturn.

So far Uru has been my favorite field/dungeon, with the above- and below-water sections, and the devs having the guts to take away your dragon for an hour. It got me to reevaluate what I'd learned about the combat system, and made for an interesting boss fight. Getting it back at the end hammered home just how rapidly the battles opened up in those first hours.

Each dungeon is surprisingly well-done. The basic layouts hold up and considering the lack of precedent, I'm surprised at everything they got right. Lots of little tricks, like placing a single save point in a way that it's adjacent to multiple locked gates for when you loop around an area, or reducing/eliminating the encounter rate when there's an unsolved puzzle in the room. (And raising/restoring it after the puzzle is solved.) I've heard the team had no RPG experience, but they definitely did their homework.

The pre-rendered FMVs are the thread the game dangles by. Like the FMV at the end of disc 2 is beautifully composed to frame the sun behind Azel so she's in silhouette as her dragon rises up behind her, but the video encoding makes me dread the transition from real-time to pre-rendered. When I see the FMVs I think Saga's sorely in need of an FFIX-style HD port, then I get back to the in-engine gameplay and can't imagine these low-poly characters and mesh shadows at a higher res.

Interested to see some impressions of Infinity Strash: Adventures of Dai when it’s out. My kid has got into the cartoon and is eyeing it up as a potential Christmas present

Interested to see some impressions of Infinity Strash: Adventures of Dai when it’s out. My kid has got into the cartoon and is eyeing it up as a potential Christmas present
My only concern is the game is only covering half the anime, and who knows if we'll get a sequel or dlc to finish it.

Simon Andersen is out there, just waiting to put these sprites to use:

This week I finally sat down to focus on Panzer Dragoon Saga, and it feels like it came from the other timeline where we all started making tightly-written Chrono Trigger-length RPGs instead of 60+ hour epics. I'm 7 hours in and at disc 3!

The ambition on display is incredible--a January '98 RPG with no pre-rendered backgrounds, every line voice-acted, large open areas, fast loading, and a day-night cycle...feels like Team Andromeda did everything you possibly could on Saturn.

So far Uru has been my favorite field/dungeon, with the above- and below-water sections, and the devs having the guts to take away your dragon for an hour. It got me to reevaluate what I'd learned about the combat system, and made for an interesting boss fight. Getting it back at the end hammered home just how rapidly the battles opened up in those first hours.

Each dungeon is surprisingly well-done. The basic layouts hold up and considering the lack of precedent, I'm surprised at everything they got right. Lots of little tricks, like placing a single save point in a way that it's adjacent to multiple locked gates for when you loop around an area, or reducing/eliminating the encounter rate when there's an unsolved puzzle in the room. (And raising/restoring it after the puzzle is solved.) I've heard the team had no RPG experience, but they definitely did their homework.

The pre-rendered FMVs are the thread the game dangles by. Like the FMV at the end of disc 2 is beautifully composed to frame the sun behind Azel so she's in silhouette as her dragon rises up behind her, but the video encoding makes me dread the transition from real-time to pre-rendered. When I see the FMVs I think Saga's sorely in need of an FFIX-style HD port, then I get back to the in-engine gameplay and can't imagine these low-poly characters and mesh shadows at a higher res.

Now I want a whole new thread from you. I was lucky enough to get a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga for cheap in Tokyo ten years ago, and I love it. But it is so rare to hear how other people experience the game, since it is quite rare.

It's actually one of the easier ones. You can find a Youtube video, there's a certain spot where when you walk over there will be a lightning strike, every single time without fail, even in the HD remaster. It's monotonous but do-able at that spot -- I think it took me only two attempts.

I've resumed my playthrough of Paper Mario (64) and got the ultra stone to upgrade everyone further. I know of two upgrade blocks in the sewers back in Toad Town I can grab right now. Any PM aficionados have recommendations on the first two party members to upgrade? I'm partial to Goombario as the first member, I use tattle on everything, and multi-hit attackers tend to see more benefit from attack boosts. The boo girl can do more damage than him now but her attack makes me fear what I'm doing to my analog stick. Of course, Bombette and the Koopa are the only real AOE attackers.

Most enemies at this point have 7HP and I put two Power Plus badges on Mario so he can take them out in one turn without consuming FP. The party members are definitely lagging behind at this point but I'm not sure if the ultra upgrades would be enough to matter considering how threshold focused the game design is so maybe AOEs are the way to go?

I've resumed my playthrough of Paper Mario (64) and got the ultra stone to upgrade everyone further. I know of two upgrade blocks in the sewers back in Toad Town I can grab right now. Any PM aficionados have recommendations on the first two party members to upgrade? I'm partial to Goombario as the first member, I use tattle on everything, and multi-hit attackers tend to see more benefit from attack boosts. The boo girl can do more damage than him now but her attack makes me fear what I'm doing to my analog stick. Of course, Bombette and the Koopa are the only real AOE attackers.

Most enemies at this point have 7HP and I put two Power Plus badges on Mario so he can take them out in one turn without consuming FP. The party members are definitely lagging behind at this point but I'm not sure if the ultra upgrades would be enough to matter considering how threshold focused the game design is so maybe AOEs are the way to go?
Bombette is my absolute fav and always my first choice to upgrade. Her new ability hits everything on screen.

I always max out Sushie for the volcano first.

Alright. After putting the game down for a good chunk of time for Zelda reasons... and because I was absolutely bored by the obvious bloat in the final stretch of the game, I finally sat down and finished FF7 Remake over the last two days. Man, what a ride. I've never vibed with the original one for... various reasons, mainly Cloud but also most of the other characters tbh, and never got very far, so this was kind of a blind playthrough (as blind as possible, given popculture osmosis) for me.

And lo and behold: I actually enjoyed it quite a lot.

I've really come to like Cloud and his party a lot. I think the game did a good job at making them all memorable and their motivations sound and it's been fun to see how they play off of each other and follow them on their journey.
Said journey is definitely a bit bloated here and there, with its occasionally MMO-like sidequests, especially the last third around chapter 14 is a real slog and I could basically hear some of the executives telling the designers "we have to make sure this game has at least 30 hours of stuff, so we can sell it for a full price without everyone turning on us!".
The finale however, absolutely makes up for it, imho. Once I've made it out of sidequest hell, it's been one spectacular set piece after another and the final battle was fantastic, if a bit chaotic. I have no idea about what Sephiroth talks in the end and why Cloud's alternative skin from Smash apparently isn't dead or should be dead or who he is in the first place and I'm lowkey dreading what fresh hell Nomura will come up with next and how much "please search x people/cats/chocobo"-quests they will put into the supposedly more open next chapter... but damn I would lie if I'd say I didn't want to see the thing play out :LOL:.

Production wise, it's beyond all doubt. Fantastic musical score, great (german) dub actors, visually impressive and oozing with style, somehow the mix of cyberpunk elements with the weird Nomura character designs just works.
Special shoutouts to the ridiculous amounts of gun and sword fu (I guess?) present: The moves Cloud and the Shinra goons are pulling off in the cutscenes are fantastic.

Also, most surprising to me is that I really liked the combat. When it comes to RPGs I'm usually a very staunch defender of turn-based battles and often don't really vibe with more active or action-oriented systems (one of the core reasons I never managed to finish any Tales game). Remake however feels very close to a fabled "best of both worlds", It's active enough to be fun but ATB and the whole "bullet time while in menus" make it strategic enough to not put me of :D

Next up is the DLC with Yuffie! Can't wait to see what they throw at me next.

I though that a sabbatical would help me organize some of the games I wanted to play but no, its worst now lol.

I decided to give Arise another try, its a bit tough on my laptop but I've enjoyed it more this time. I still have gripes,llike the skits. The cutouts make it slower and busier while making it stale. Maybe they will grow on me lol.

So now I am juggling Arise, CS4, Honkai (mostly dailies) and Super Mystery Dungeon lol. And when I need a break from rpgs or I am watching something I go back to Getsu Fūma Den

I though that a sabbatical would help me organize some of the games I wanted to play but no, its worst now lol.

I decided to give Arise another try, its a bit tough on my laptop but I've enjoyed it more this time. I still have gripes,llike the skits. The cutouts make it slower and busier while making it stale. Maybe they will grow on me lol.

So now I am juggling Arise, CS4, Honkai (mostly dailies) and Super Mystery Dungeon lol. And when I need a break from rpgs or I am watching something I go back to Getsu Fūma Den
Don’t worry, I was trying to start P3P but it hasn’t got a hold on me quite yet so I keep getting tempted to go back to Ryza. Not to mention I’m trying to hold off on going to FFIX till I’ve done something else

Where has Final Fantasy V been all my life??? I can’t believe even grinding is fun in this game. The Job system is magical so far.

Back
Top Bottom