• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Roku explores taking over HDMI feeds with ads

Fuck roku forever
So actively using the HDMI-CEC to switch inputs to the Roku dongle when they notice a screen is paused just to sell adspace?

I wish whoever pitched that idea at Roku a very step on Lego forever.

I have a Roku tv because it was cheap but I refuse to connect it to the internet because of shit like this, goddamn.

It's only a patent, it says as much in the article, and as far as I'm aware, it's just for their own brand TVs, not their sticks and boxes. The article also explains why this is specifically targeted at their TV line and not their dedicated devices.

The Nintendo Patent Rule isn't a rule for Roku, but it's something to keep in mind. Publishing it before implementation is no guarantee it'll happen.

This is like that one Kinect patent where you'd have to physically make the motions acknowledging you saw the ad to make it go away.

Glad that never went anywhere jeez.

I have a Roku tv because it was cheap but I refuse to connect it to the internet because of shit like this, goddamn.
I have one. Theres like a couple ads on the home menu but its honestly not bad. Untill this feature gets released (if it ever even does) then My tv will be replaced quickly xD

I have one. Theres like a couple ads on the home menu but its honestly not bad. Untill this feature gets released (if it ever even does) then My tv will be replaced quickly xD
Oh I don't mean specifically ads are the reason I keep it disconnected, I mean all of it. From what I've heard they're constantly sending information about what you're watching and doing back to the mothership so they can sell data on your habits.

Not like literally everything else isn't skimming my data, but it's just one situation where I can feel like I'm exercising a tiny bit of control in this digital dystopia we're now living in. A tiny middle finger raised up in the direction of the bullshit.

Oh I don't mean specifically ads are the reason I keep it disconnected, I mean all of it. From what I've heard they're constantly sending information about what you're watching and doing back to the mothership so they can sell data on your habits.

Not like literally everything else isn't skimming my data, but it's just one situation where I can feel like I'm exercising a tiny bit of control in this digital dystopia we're now living in. A tiny middle finger raised up in the direction of the bullshit.
Yea and if you only use it for like hdmi inputs you might as well have it disconnected.

And yea I get that but like you said legit every single device does that shit now sadly.

I remember my friend saying he didint want an alexa because he didint want his private info being sent and he didint want to be listened to all the time and I told him his phone has already done that 10x over and he was like "oh yea" xD

Yea and if you only use it for like hdmi inputs you might as well have it disconnected.

And yea I get that but like you said legit every single device does that shit now sadly.

I remember my friend saying he didint want an alexa because he didint want his private info being sent and he didint want to be listened to all the time and I told him his phone has already done that 10x over and he was like "oh yea" xD
Its worth having more control of your infomartion regardless if its improbable to keep everything offline.

A bit of an exaggeration, but...

454.jpg

A bit of an exaggeration, but...

454.jpg
I dont think its actually much of an exxageration. Every single tech company spies on people, Our own government wire taps us and spies on us. All our data is collected and sold without or knowledge or consent.

There was a dad who was mad at a retailer (I think it was walmart or target but idfk now) Because it was suggesting his daughter baby supplies and stuff for pregnancy, The dad was mad because to him this was them trying to sell his daughter on getting pregnant and having a baby and she was not even 18 yet.

A month later he found out that the algorithm of the stores website knew she was pregnant before he even did and he apologized to the store when he found out that she was pregnant.

I dont think its actually much of an exxageration. Every single tech company spies on people, Our own government wire taps us and spies on us. All our data is collected and sold without or knowledge or consent.

There was a dad who was mad at a retailer (I think it was walmart or target but idfk now) Because it was suggesting his daughter baby supplies and stuff for pregnancy, The dad was mad because to him this was them trying to sell his daughter on getting pregnant and having a baby and she was not even 18 yet.

A month later he found out that the algorithm of the stores website knew she was pregnant before he even did and he apologized to the store when he found out that she was pregnant.
Considering how much people give away on a regular basis, most companies dont even have to try.

The amount of stuff said to our phones without any sense of security is astounding.

You could always be tracked before if someone put their mind (or money) to it in the 20th century, but now its child's play to figure out someone's habits and life. The only thing we're missing with the gritty neon everywhere and scary architecture.

Though its also a miracle that media still becomes lost in this day and age. Just look at any subreddit dedicated to internet history and the amount of stuff just vanished is astounding.

Considering how much people give away on a regular basis, most companies dont even have to try.

The amount of stuff said to our phones without any sense of security is astounding.

You could always be tracked before if someone put their mind (or money) to it in the 20th century, but now its child's play to figure out someone's habits and life. The only thing we're missing with the gritty neon everywhere and scary architecture.

Though its also a miracle that media still becomes lost in this day and age. Just look at any subreddit dedicated to internet history and the amount of stuff just vanished is astounding.
Oh yea I love following lost media online. Its one of my lil online hobbies I have. It is weird that in todays age media can still be lost your right about that lol.

Smdh I thought the Avatar was better then this.

If these ads come about my Roku TV is going in the trash

It takes two sec to mute my display or shut it off for a minute. Bring it on, Roku. I know your game. I seen your shill. I'm not buying anything at Baskin Robbins. Don't care how interactive you make your coupon ads. They fucked with daiquiri ice and you wanna threaten me?

Back
Top Bottom