• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Return to Monkey Island announced for Switch and PC (UPDATE: out now!)

Wow! Have Devolver bought the rights to the Monkey Island IP? I think I read something about that being an issue for a sequel in the past.

Wow! Have Devolver bought the rights to the Monkey Island IP? I think I read something about that being an issue for a sequel in the past.
It's more than likely a licensing deal with Lucasfilm Games.

Nice. Hopefully it gets a broad release but at least it’s being made. And the composers are all back as well!

Maybe we can get a rerelease of the remaster on switch, but that’s probably in license hell.

LET'S GO DAIRY FARMERS
Curse-of-Monkey-Island-min-696x411.jpeg

A new Monkey Island?
From and with Ron Gilbert?
Disney allows him go full three-headed monkey, no shackles?
Devolver is the publisher?

rick-and-morty-morty.gif

Last edited:
Awesome. I saw this the other day and assumed it was a joke. MI 1 and 2 are two of my favorite games ever

This is the second biggest monkey news I have heard in my life! Awesome!
It'll be interesting to see which platforms this comes to.
Ron's a huge fan of Nintendo and already has couple of games on eShop, including Thimbleweed.

I'm not really digging that art style, but I'll reserve judgement until I see the game proper. My first experience with Monkey Island was actually the Telltale game, which I enjoyed. I then went back and played the first two games and loved them, so I'm definitely interested in a new Gilbert-helmed entry.

This is the second biggest monkey news I have heard in my life! Awesome!

Ron's a huge fan of Nintendo and already has couple of games on eShop, including Thimbleweed.

Yep. After the Thimbleweed sales figures on Switch, he apparently said:
“Switch is great, I can’t imagine not releasing our next game on Switch.”

Yep. After the Thimbleweed sales figures on Switch, he apparently said:

I would buy the older MI games too, if Disney/Lucasfilm Games would re-re-release them for the Switch.
Why stop here? Bring every missing point & click game to the Switch! <3

Holy cow, for real!? I never thought I'd see the day we get another Monkey Island game, let alone one helmed by Ron Gilbert! This is wonderful!

Maybe it's an ambitious game aiming at the west. In this case it will be on everything but switch
/s

Really happy to see a new Monkey Island game but i’m a bit sad that it makes Curse of Monkey Island non canon 😔 Also who is going to voice Ghost Pirate Le Chuck?

Amazing news as MI is one of my favourite series ever and one of the first I played on computers (not counting Spectrum and such).

This would be a nice opportunity to bring the old games on Switch.

I'm sure Devolver is already looking into bringing the previous two games to current platforms. I mean, this is a sequel to a game that came out in 1991.

I'm sure Devolver is already looking into bringing the previous two games to current platforms. I mean, this is a sequel to a game that came out in 1991.
Remasters are only on Steam and Gog right now and they're published by LucasArts, who doesn't exist today. Someone has to pick up the publishing duties and if not Devolver, then it's Aspyr.

Wow! This is literally a miracle announcement! I honestly never thought I’d ever see the day when we’d get a real sequel made by Ron Gilbert! And not a single monkey’s paw in sight!? What amazing alternative universe have I fallen into!?

The question is, where are the all the other Lucasarts games?

Day of the Tentacle, Full Throttle, Monkey Island 1 and 2....etc...

We did get Grim Fandango for some misterious reason,but i doubt it was because of Tim Schafer.....

I know I talk a lot about Turrican but this kind of comeback is what dreams are made of in the world of gaming ^^.
Never finished Monkey Island 1 despite having played the excellent remake on Xbox 360, I enjoyed it a lot.

Turrican Anthology next month on Switch, the real Monkey Island 3 this year… rha !

How is this a sequel to monkey island 2 though?...what happened to 3, 4 and 5?
based on what he's said in the past and saying currently, we don't know. ron gilbert previously mentioned that his 'monkey island 3a' would be a sequel to 2 and that he didn't consider anything after that part of his series, but also that he wasn't against taking ideas and characters from those games either. he mentioned on twitter after this announcement that curse would be canon, but it feels very deliberately worded so that this game doesn't have to be a sequel to it

based on what he's said in the past and saying currently, we don't know. ron gilbert previously mentioned that his 'monkey island 3a' would be a sequel to 2 and that he didn't consider anything after that part of his series, but also that he wasn't against taking ideas and characters from those games either. he mentioned on twitter after this announcement that curse would be canon, but it feels very deliberately worded so that this game doesn't have to be a sequel to it
So it's a Terminator Dark Fate kind of situation?

I love the fact that I as a forty-year old middle class male am now the number one focus group on most media companies.
We're not entirely the #1 focus group. The increasing nostalgia trend is more companies realizing that they can sell things across generations and target the parents' nostalgia while also introducing the product to a younger generation, who will in turn introduce it to their offspring and so on. Nintendo has openly talked about this in the past as their one of the leading companies that regularly does this. Case in point:

I can't find the specific article/interview, but I also distinctly remember Iwata talking about this strategy around the release of Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby.

EDIT: Found it!

"Those who were elementary school students when Super Smash Bros. Melee and Pokémon Ruby and Pokémon Sapphire were released have grown up and they are now 18 to 25 years old," Iwata explained. "Our research in each part of the world commonly indicates that consumers between the age of 18 and 25 represent a large percentage of those who purchased Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS in the release period. It is approximately 30 percent in Japan, which is twice the overall average of Nintendo 3DS software, and has even reached 50 percent in the U.S. and Europe. This great momentum for the game in the initial stage was supported by this generation. Thanks to Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, consumers of this generation pay more attention to Nintendo 3DS and are likely to remember enjoying Pokémon Ruby and Pokémon Sapphire.

"We think this is why the pre-orders for Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire have been strong. They are now old enough to pay for their own expenses. They can afford to buy Nintendo 3DS to enjoy both Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Pokémon Omega Ruby and Pokémon Alpha Sapphire if they choose, and they might encourage their friends to play it with them too. We therefore see it important to stimulate their latent demand in the year-end sales season."

How is this a sequel to monkey island 2 though?...what happened to 3, 4 and 5?
It's either going to be an alternate take on 3 (Ron has talked previously about wanting to make a Monkey Island 3A), or I've seen some online theorizing that it could slot in between 2 and 3 somehow which I'm not entirely clear on because I haven't played 2 or 3 yet.

We're not entirely the #1 focus group. The increasing nostalgia trend is more companies realizing that they can sell things across generations and target the parents' nostalgia while also introducing the product to a younger generation, who will in turn introduce it to their offspring and so on. Nintendo has openly talked about this in the past as their one of the leading companies that regularly does this. Case in point:
The point here is everything in the gaming world today is crafted specifically for gaming veterans. Even the newer trends like Minecraft and Fortnite too. Minecraft is basically a pixel art game for gods sake. GTA, Halo, Call of Duty, Pokémon, Last of Us, every popular series today still have very strong bonds to their 90s origins. There are no "fresh brand new ideas" for the next generation of gamers, it's either modernized classics or nothing. It's fact that we all need to face: Gaming is an old people's thing.

The point here is everything in the gaming world today is crafted specifically for gaming veterans. Even the newer trends like Minecraft and Fortnite too. Minecraft is basically a pixel art game for gods sake. GTA, Halo, Call of Duty, Pokémon, Last of Us, every popular series today still have very strong bonds to their 90s origins. There are no "fresh brand new ideas" for the next generation of gamers, it's either modernized classics or nothing. It's fact that we all need to face: Gaming is an old people's thing.
Halo, Call of Duty and Last of Us, 90s origins?

Dave Grossman is on board too? And Dominic Armato?

SWEET

Back
Top Bottom