• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Retro Handhelds |ST|

I love the look of the Odin 2 Mini in white. Simply incredible. The prices are outrageous, but man. It almost seems worth it.

I went ahead and preordered the RG35XXSP. Hoping I can use it as better replacement for my MM+ and then pass that one on to somebody else. The MM+ is still great for what it is, but I can't really pass up on the SP I think.

The RG Cube looks awesome, I'm considering nabbing one when they release that.

I went ahead and preordered the RG35XXSP. Hoping I can use it as better replacement for my MM+ and then pass that one on to somebody else. The MM+ is still great for what it is, but I can't really pass up on the SP I think.
This is basically my plan. I’ll order the SP soon, probably the first time it gets a sale, and then I think I’ll pass the MM+ on to someone else. It’s too good of a device to sit gathering dust, but between the SP, the H, and the Odin 2, the MM+ wouldn’t have any purpose at all. Better to give it to someone and maybe get them addicted to retro handhelds!

I've been looking for a pocketable metal device that acts as a half-step between my Miyoo Mini and my Retroid Pocket 4 Pro. Is the RG353M the only small, metal handheld with Linux?

And if anyone here owns one, how is it in terms of controls (d-pad and buttons, mainly) compared to other systems/retro handhelds?

The replacement backplate to my Retroid Pocket 4 Pro arrived today! Took about the same time to ship as my device.

Having already took the device apart, the process to install the new backplate was super simple. Even so, I appreciate Retroid providing all of the necessary tools (replacement screws, the proper screwdriver, and a spudger) to make it as painless as possible. I received the correct color backplate, and the triggers did feel a bit more resistant, which is a good sign.

While this is an unfortunate QA situation, I can't complain about the customer service. I'll stick with the Miyoo Mini for my Pokémon Kanto Expansion Pak playthrough, but I can't wait to go back to this one for other titles.

My goal for this weekend is to finally make my RG35XXH usable. It’s been sitting on my desk for three weeks because I haven’t had the time to set it up. This week I finally flashed the new version of muOS and attempted a two card setup, but I can’t get the second card to be recognized no matter what I do. I’m thinking it may be a hardware issue? So I guess I’ll just have to go with a single card setup. Oh well.

RG35XXSP is here. I've had it a couple days, mine unfortunately got caught in shipping hell and took an extra few days.
gWr6oXk.jpeg

QswBbiW.jpeg

Just running MuOS and this is with the default overlay set up from Anbernic's stock OS ported over. I'm personally running something a bit different, but figured I'd post with what the stock GBA appearance is since people are probably gonna lean on that. Hardware is real good this time, but you gotta love some clicky buttons. The stock OS unfortunately has a bunch of locked down RA options and other things that bug me, and no CFW has lid "sleep" yet. MuOS being super basic and having much more capability is good enough, and they say they are working on an RG35XXSP build with lid "sleep". Not much to say about performance, it's just the same guts as any other RG35XX+ reshell.

I really really like this hardware and think they nailed it, it's vastly superior to every other vertical out right now as far as being comfy and portable. The buttons and dpad being so clicky make it not as great for certain kinds of games I think, but I personally like them enough for what I'm using this machine for. MuOS is "good enough" for everything I need, the only thing it lacks is that lid function. It's also so small and easy to keep around, it feels pretty equivalent to having a MM+ while folded up. The MM+ is thinner so I can have that in a front jeans pocket more comfortably, but like I so rarely would ever do that. I do need to keep bag space at a premium and this hits the size I want.

Only real downside I have is that making GBA look good on 4:3 is a bit of a pain, and this doesn't have the ass to really clean it up with different shaders and options. It's not horrible by any means, it's equivalent to using any other budget 4:3 device, just for something aimed so squarely at GBA nostalgia it does feel a bit weird. On the flip side, this is so much comfier for me personally and the screen is easier to tilt up and look it, so I could reasonably see myself playing SNES/PSX RPGs on it. Also Anbernic sort out the charging issues for the love of everything.

This is easy front runner for budget handheld of the year. If CFW matures just a bit (I swear it's pretty good already) to include a couple other features, I expect it to be the most recommended device easily. Gonna be new Miyoo Mini+ fad machine for awhile. It is just going to replace the MM+ for me fullstop as I predicted.

As an aside, I need to edit the OP at some point. Given time I'll throw this device in there and rewrite the RG35XX+ line of handhelds. Clean up some up bad writing and clarify a few things. I might wanna add the TrimUI Smart Pro in somewhere, but I personally don't have one or access to a demo. If anybody does I'm curious to hear about it in a direct conversation.

Last edited:
I might be wrong, but I think MinUI currently supports the lid sleep feature on the SP. muOS and Knulli are both working on it.

I’ve been enjoying muOS on my H. It has basically all the functionality of Onion that I’m used to, besides the game switcher. Whenever I get an SP I could see myself using muOS, but there’s something about the simplicity of MinUI that appeals to me.

I might be wrong, but I think MinUI currently supports the lid sleep feature on the SP. muOS and Knulli are both working on it.

I’ve been enjoying muOS on my H. It has basically all the functionality of Onion that I’m used to, besides the game switcher. Whenever I get an SP I could see myself using muOS, but there’s something about the simplicity of MinUI that appeals to me.
Yeah, you're right and I was strongly considering MinUI, but it's a bit too locked down for me. No Overlays, Shaders, or any real RA tweaking is too much of a dealbreaker. MuOS is simple enough anyways. I wouldn't mind something like MinUI, I want my frontend to just be a gamelist and really simple save/load set ups. I just know I'll need to user config something somewhere.

I also personally just don't care enough about lid sleep for it to be a deal breaker. It'd be nice! But I can just like hit the sleep button before flipping it for now it's fine. I hope when they add lid functionality, they can figure out a way to make it so after X minutes of sleep the device turns completely off. That's what OnionOS does, have no clue why it's not like this already.

Kind of want to do a button swap on my Miyoo Mini Plus, but I'm a little afraid. I hope it's somewhat easy. I've done it before on a Retroid Pocket.

Kind of want to do a button swap on my Miyoo Mini Plus, but I'm a little afraid. I hope it's somewhat easy. I've done it before on a Retroid Pocket.
Remove battery, unscrew back, unseat one ribbon cable, get the rockers out of the way, and the whole board pops out. Then you have complete access to the buttons and membranes. If you're gonna be in there anyways consider doing a speaker replacement, it's just sitting there like the buttons.

Only real downside I have is that making GBA look good on 4:3 is a bit of a pain, and this doesn't have the ass to really clean it up with different shaders and options. It's not horrible by any means, it's equivalent to using any other budget 4:3 device, just for something aimed so squarely at GBA nostalgia it does feel a bit weird.
Out of curiosity, what configs do you regularly use? I ended up getting a 35XXH, and GBA looks damn near perfect to my eyes with this. It should work just fine on the SP as well.

Integer scaling and bilinear filtering OFF
Aspect ratio: custom (640w, 427h)
Overlay: "GBA_3x_Grid_50" with opacity at 1.00
Shader: "sharp-shimmerless.glsl"

Out of curiosity, what configs do you regularly use? I ended up getting a 35XXH, and GBA looks damn near perfect to my eyes with this. It should work just fine on the SP as well.

Integer scaling and bilinear filtering OFF
Aspect ratio: custom (640w, 427h)
Overlay: "GBA_3x_Grid_50" with opacity at 1.00
Shader: "sharp-shimmerless.glsl"
This is actually what I have set up on the 35XXSP. The overlay is slightly different, but it's a revision of that one. My main GBA machine for a bit now has been the RP4P, and I'm willing to accept letterboxing to use integer scaling there. Metroid Fusion is one of my fave GBA games and I notice even with this set up on the 4:3 screen, there's still some things that are slightly off. It's pretty minor and I think it looks plenty good, just using 16:9, 16:10, 1:1, 3:2 devices makes me a bit jelly since they all do integer scaling better.

4:3 here is definitely the better compromise for a system focused so much on form factor and multiple systems. I literally only mention it cause this is the best GBA-clone ever in every way so it's a bit odd it's weaker on displaying GBA than other popular systems.

Edit: I had to remove the spoiler cause it was breaking my post for unknown reasons lol

The fun part of not having gotten any retro handhelds yet is that I feel the longer I wait, the better my eventual first one will be. The Anbernic GBASP-like looks fantastic and the price is right but, since I haven’t gotten one of these yet, what if I just waited a bit longer? Maybe an even better one will be out in the next 3-6 months?

Honestly I think my ideal one of these is the Anbernic SP but with a single analog slider for better PSP/Dreamcast/N64 controls, and maybe a bit of a wider screen? PSP is my actual emulation target with one of these… Maybe I should just get a Retroid Pocket 4?

The fun part of not having gotten any retro handhelds yet is that I feel the longer I wait, the better my eventual first one will be.
This is why I haven't bought one yet lol. It feels like things have been moving so quickly in the retro handheld space that I almost wanna wait it out for another few months just to see where things go.

The fun part of not having gotten any retro handhelds yet is that I feel the longer I wait, the better my eventual first one will be. The Anbernic GBASP-like looks fantastic and the price is right but, since I haven’t gotten one of these yet, what if I just waited a bit longer? Maybe an even better one will be out in the next 3-6 months?

Honestly I think my ideal one of these is the Anbernic SP but with a single analog slider for better PSP/Dreamcast/N64 controls, and maybe a bit of a wider screen? PSP is my actual emulation target with one of these… Maybe I should just get a Retroid Pocket 4?

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
If PSP is your target system, a Pocket 4 might be overkill. The Retroid Pocket 3 Plus should be more than capable of doing PSP well, and you can probably find it for cheaper than the 4. The 3 Plus won’t do GCN and PS2 anywhere close to as well as the Pocket 4 (or well, the Pocket 4 Pro that is), but it should be more than enough for PSP, N64, and Dreamcast.

If PSP is your target system, a Pocket 4 might be overkill. The Retroid Pocket 3 Plus should be more than capable of doing PSP well, and you can probably find it for cheaper than the 4. The 3 Plus won’t do GCN and PS2 anywhere close to as well as the Pocket 4 (or well, the Pocket 4 Pro that is), but it should be more than enough for PSP, N64, and Dreamcast.
Hmmm I’ll keep an eye out for a good deal on one when I’m in a position to buy it!

Back
Top Bottom