• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Hardware Resident Evil Village, RE4 Remake, Death Stranding & Assassin’s Creed Mirage coming to iPhone 15 Pro With Full Support for Hardware Ray Tracing

No interest in playing these versions myself, but I will be curious as to how they are received.

They always show something mind blowing at these shows, "look what the new iPhone can run!", they release the game but nothing follows it. I remember the one with XCOM in it. "Whoa PS3 level games on mobile!" Nah that was it.

Also, I wish they focused on games that'd be blast to play on large screen iPhone:

Age of Empires IV
StarCraft 2
Total War Pharaoh
Baldur's Gate 3
Cities Skylines 2

Impressive... but even beyond the potential battery life/heat stuff I would just be unable to watch video or play a game with a massive chunk taken out for the camera. Is there a way to limit the viewable screen size to below the "dynamic island" thing (having the pixels above and to the side fully black) for video and games?

Not buying an iPhone, just curious

This has me so pumped for Switch 2

Backbone + a decent size screen is bliss
I think people on this forum can forget how far mobile technology has come. Arm in particular is so ridiculously efficient that yeah, it's going to be no problem running PS5 games that small scale.
The heat from playing these will be scorching.
No it won't. MacBook Air M1's from 2020 can run RE Village with no fan, and little heat. And run it better than the majority of laptops today and with no fan to boot. The technology in Apples M series has only gotten more efficient, which means less heat as well.

this is very neat, and super impressive that apple chips can run these on a phone, but anyone familiar with apple's history with gaming knows this won't amount to much. they always announce some random big name game coming to mac or iphone/ipad but it's clearly cuz they footed the bill for a port. the market is just not there for premium games on phones or mac, and when there's no money to be made devs and publishers aren't going to be eager to port their games. the biggest non-free mobile games make peanuts compared to average f2p games.

this is all ignoring the issue of battery life and controls too.

this is very neat, and super impressive that apple chips can run these on a phone, but anyone familiar with apple's history with gaming knows this won't amount to much. they always announce some random big name game coming to mac or iphone/ipad but it's clearly cuz they footed the bill for a port. the market is just not there for premium games on phones or mac, and when there's no money to be made devs and publishers aren't going to be eager to port their games. the biggest non-free mobile games make peanuts compared to average f2p games.

this is all ignoring the issue of battery life and controls too.
Controls really aren't too bad, phones are so big nowadays that you can get attachable controlers that are about as comfortable as a Switch Lite or whatever for like £50. But yeah battery life on a device you'll be using for many things all day and the atrocious state of the mobile games market do kill it.

They always show something mind blowing at these shows, "look what the new iPhone can run!", they release the game but nothing follows it. I remember the one with XCOM in it. "Whoa PS3 level games on mobile!" Nah that was it.
This is the first time they showed off an AAA games coming to an iPhone. Actual AAA games not XCOm stuff or crap Epic Games products.
RE4 and AS: Mirage. I guess time will tell, again.

The iPhone is a very big platform. They sold over 40 million iPhones Pros in less than a year. Even if 1% of those people play games and spend money on $40 or greater on game/apps it’s still huge.

Now the Mac is different story and gaming there will never take off as long as Pc gaming is better.

With regards to controls, iOS supports any modern controller. Obviously that’s the best way to play these. AAA games. I bet it will come to iPad Pro as well.

So I'm gonna say it: What a waste of devs time.

It's been a known fact for years that mobile gamers have been completely conditioned to the opposite pricing point.

I genuinely hope they got paid by apple

.....you can't be serious....

if you've noticed his previous post he's basically a troll
Not that I want to defend Shiba or anything because yeah, their post history speaks for itself, but what's wrong with wanting an Apple handheld? With their focus on UX, their powerful custom silicon, and their great hardware, I would love to see a bespoke Apple handheld.

I don't really see the idea of Apple making a dedicated gaming device to be all that wild, especially as they continue to grow their Apple Arcade service with more console-quality titles. Granted, I don't see them ever doing it because I don't think they see much value in having such a bespoke device, but still.

the only thing missing is middleware supporting RT for mobile. now that Apple has jumped in, there's no reason for Unity and Unreal to not have RT support for them

This is quite impressive and I legit loved that Apple did it. People were still arguing that Switch 2 having PS4+ performance was impossible because of "x,y,z". Well ,there it is: Apple latest iPhone, which has a <8W budget, is running cross-gen games and using a DLSS like solution. All of that on a thin and portable device. Apple literally destroyed haters arguments that were being throw yesterday against Switch 2.

This is quite impressive and I legit loved that Apple did it. People were still arguing that Switch 2 having PS4+ performance was impossible because of "x,y,z". Well ,there it is: Apple latest iPhone, which has a <8W budget, is running cross-gen games and using a DLSS like solution. All of that on a thin and portable device. Apple literally destroyed haters arguments that were being throw yesterday against Switch 2.
apple is on 3nm tho. switch doomed

/s

I'm most excited for that 3DMark Solar Bay score

apple is on 3nm tho. switch doomed

/s

I'm most excited for that 3DMark Solar Bay score
Nintendo: "I'll get my chance, another day" hahaha

Lucky us that TSMC N3 is barely different than N4/N4P/4N wrt power and energy-efficiency. Let's just hope 4N was the node Nintendo and Nvidia have chosen. Otherwise........

Still a Switch 2 SOC are heavily customised for gaming compare to multipurpose A17 SOC inside the Iphone 15 Pro. Gaming still better on a Switch 2 + so many Nintendo IP's. Even A17 max out at 30fps only with Ray Tracing unlike Switch at 60fps with RT

Last edited:
Not iPad? I never want to play games on my phone!

So I'm gonna say it: What a waste of devs time.

It's been a known fact for years that mobile gamers have been completely conditioned to the opposite pricing point.

I genuinely hope they got paid by apple

It's nice to have options.

Not iPad? I never want to play games on my phone!

It's nice to have options.

iPad is almost certainly going to have this too, probably better because some iPads are starting to get the M-series chips which are better than the A-series on the iPhones.

There are a lot of reports that Apple is readying a big fresh of the iPad line with OLED iPad Pros for next year, I'm guessing they're going to have the M1 or M2 chip in there and much better gaming performance than the iPhone.

8GB of RAM will limit the kind of experiences that get on the device as chances are high Switch 2 will lap it. And realistically a huge amount of that will be for the phone OS and other background tasks.

Not that i think Switch or consoles in general are even competing for the same audience, but We end up with a situation where certain games on both devices end up with Switch version being superior. CIV6 comes to mind with iPad pros and iPhone being much more RAM limited at 2 and 3GB compared to Switch's 4GB and a Leaner OS. The devs cut out animated leaders in the iOS version

jesus christ, why is it so hard to find out how much ram these fucking phones have
Apple, much like some other companies I can think of, is not forthcoming with sharing specs for their hardware, other than some selectively shared numbers that make for good marketing buzzwords and tech coverage.

iPad is almost certainly going to have this too, probably better because some iPads are starting to get the M-series chips which are better than the A-series on the iPhones.

There are a lot of reports that Apple is readying a big fresh of the iPad line with OLED iPad Pros for next year, I'm guessing they're going to have the M1 or M2 chip in there and much better gaming performance than the iPhone.
Lord help me. I don't need a Pro.......I don't...

CIV6 comes to mind with iPad pros and iPhone being much more RAM limited at 2 and 3GB compared to Switch's 4GB and a Leaner OS.
iPads Pros go up to 16GB RAM now. We have to wait and see how if they will come to iPad Pro next year when they release M3

Still a Switch 2 SOC are heavily customised for gaming compare to multipurpose A17 SOC inside the Iphone 15 Pro. Gaming still better on a Switch 2 + so many Nintendo IP's. Even A17 max out at 30fps only with Ray Tracing unlike Switch at 60fps with RT
Yes but this is on a fanless device. M3 chip(That will likely be in iPad Pros next year) will destroy the Switch 2 in GPU and CPU and AI wise. Of course, I will buy both because I want my Nintendo games.

Yes but this is on a fanless device. M3 chip(That will likely be in iPad Pros next year) will destroy the Switch 2 in GPU and CPU and AI wise. Of course, I will buy both because I want my Nintendo games.
for the price it's gonna cost, it fuckin better

but I doubt most will use it for gaming anyway, but all the other functions that probably don't need as much power

If the battery life is at least 3 hours for those games, it's gonna be interesting.

I can see it now with the head to head comparisons from DF, GameXplain and other journalists thar check performance.. Steam Deck Vs Switch 2 Vs Asus Rally Vs X Series S Vs iPhone 15 🤔

Last edited:
they could definitely come up with better RT reflections demonstrations than this, but didn't

iPhone-15-Pro-Series-Apple-17-Pro-Ray-Tracing-_1.png

iPhone-15-Pro-Series-Apple-17-Pro-Ray-Tracing-_2-1920x1080.png

It's a shame that Apple doesn't really give a shit about video games. Their hardware is fantastic and paired with an in-house Backbone-styled controller it could really be something.

I think this is fantastic, if only because I love to see the progress that's being made in the ARM world of tech. X86 really isn't something I want to see in portable devices anymore. (Especially in Windows laptops, but that's a whole 'nother story.) With Apple out there showing off what the best of ARM can do, I'm looking forward to the future, be it Switch 2 or other general computing devices, and their potential for any given task, but gaming in particular.
(Handheld gaming PCs with ARM when, tho???)

The cool potential is that AirPlay + the ability to use any controller would mean a console in your pocket that you can play on any TV (ok not any but a lot of modern ones). That's even more flexible than the Switch. I don't know what lag is like with AirPlay though.

I'm an iPhone guy myself so I will own one of these or a later model at some point. If I can play some of the multiplatform games I usually miss out on, on the TV with AirPlay, I'll be happy I've gotta say.

Nearly every single device from Apple, Qualcomm and MediaTek will be one-upping each other for years to come. There are super powerful Android handhelds that will emulate Switch and more in their sleep on the way out. We'll see new iterations of handheld PCs on an annual basis. Apple's next phone will be even more powerful than this one.

But none of them are Nintendo 🤷🏻‍♂️

So Capcom will not port RE4 Remake, a remake of a former Nintendo exclusive, to Switch, but will take Apple money to make a game no one will play to impress some investors? How deep is the rot?
I mean RE 4 R will be a at Switch 2 presentation at 99%

Back
Top Bottom