• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Xbox Redfall (General Discussion Thread)

I’m content to wait for an offline mode before I purchase (especially with TotK on the horizon). Otherwise Arkane has not let me down.

Listened to Brad preview this on Nextlander and it was sounding so gooood. Was a relief to hear all the reassurance that single player seems perfectly fine, too. The idea of a more involved loot-shooter far, far removed from the style and humour of Borderlands remains super appealing to me
Nextlander?

Anyway...

This does look good, ngl.

Nextlander?

Anyway...

This does look good, ngl.

Nextlander is what Brad, Vinny & Alex from Giant Bomb left to form

EDIT: Meant to add I’m still really excited about this game and I have a master plan to play this, Ghostwire and Minecraft Legends all on a single month of Game Pass lol

Last edited:
Disappointed in the 30fps on comsoles. Hopefully I can play it at 60fps on my pc.

Quick question in crossplay games if I am on PC and playing at 60fps and im playing with someone on console who is at 30fps; does my fps drop to thier level or do i keep the 60?

Disappointed in the 30fps on comsoles. Hopefully I can play it at 60fps on my pc.

Quick question in crossplay games if I am on PC and playing at 60fps and im playing with someone on console who is at 30fps; does my fps drop to thier level or do i keep the 60?
There could be a patch to fix it, perhaps?

Your game and their game will maintain their target performances. The good news is that since it is a PvE game this is just fine.

I'm not sure if I'll give Redfall a try day one. Not anything to do with their odd decision of being 30fps on console first, I'll be playing it on Gamepass PC. I'm just not sure I'll be done with my two backlog games by then and I might be looking at Zelda TOTK preview footage more than anything else lol.

You'll be fine. FPS is client side, and doesn't affect others player experience.
So whatever FPS your PC can muster, you'll hav regardless of what others play at.

Gosh I wanna be excited for this so badly, and as I’m typing this, I don’t even know when it comes out, but I get the feeling from context of other posts that it’s close to Zelda.

Maybe it’ll have a performance patch before I finish with TOTK.

May 9 iirc
Oooof.

That’s rough. I love Arkane, but I’ll be preoccupied.
Yeah...

Honestly, the game doesn't seem worth playing when Zelda TOTK is just a 3 days away (and Redfall is an entire open-world game, keep in mind, so it's better to get it at a lower price later on).

It's a pity because, in my opinion, I really do think that Arkane deserves better and, honestly, the more recognition for them, the better.

I am playing Redfall mainly as a multiplayer game with friends so luckily for me theres no overlap as I have specific days I play with friends instead of alone.

If Redfall is a hit, i think it will be fine. There are alot of PC/Xbox only gamers that TotK wont be an issue if the game is good. Its the other things like always online and 30fps on consoles that I find frustrating and feels like a setup to be Prey all over again aka a top tier game that was critcally panned and few ppl played at launch. Its cool that Prey is loved now...but its initial release wasnt a commercial success and dampens the likelyhood of a Prey 2 or similar.

I like seing new IPs instead of overliance of remasters, remakes, and big entertainment IPs. So its annoying to see new IP with solid gameplay like Wild Hearts, Wo Long, Redfall, etc come out with flaws.

I am more excited about Redfall than TotK (I’ll have myself committed after I finish up this post)!

That performance news was a bummer to hear just as release is coming up — locked to 1440p on Series S? Why? — but hopefully the 30FPS will at least be nice and steady.

I admit I feel a bit of an ill omen in that I subbed to Game Pass to play Ghostwire, Minecraft Legends and this, and I have found the first two to be straight up bad 😂 Hopefully Redfall is great breaks the chain

it's better to get it at a lower price later on
I was initially leaning more into Redfall over TotK, but with all the gameplay stuff teased by the TotK presentations, I think this is the way to go. Can’t handle two big games at the same time, anyway. And I’ve just finished Prey.

Arkane deserves better
Facts. One of the best in the biz.

I was initially leaning more into Redfall over TotK, but with all the gameplay stuff teased by the TotK presentations, I think this is the way to go. Can’t handle two big games at the same time, anyway. And I’ve just finished Prey.

Facts. One of the best in the biz.
Yeah, same for me as well; after the recent TOTK trailer, I kinda want to play that more and not start another game in the meantime.

And, yeah, Arkane is truly one of the best, imho.

Played maybe two hours of Redfall this morning and…it’s pretty rough. It looks old. It feels old; something about the 30FPS, slightly stilted aiming and the animations combine to make it really unappealing visually. Wasn’t having any fun with the combat (points for the Vampire Ex-Boyfriend power though). My lift power doesn’t seem to work on enemies, which was disappointing. Story is a bit of a bore so far, though I concede there is probably a lot of story to go! Don’t think I’ll ever get there though. Gonna give it one more session.

Played maybe two hours of Redfall this morning and…it’s pretty rough. It looks old. It feels old; something about the 30FPS, slightly stilted aiming and the animations combine to make it really unappealing visually. Wasn’t having any fun with the combat (points for the Vampire Ex-Boyfriend power though). My lift power doesn’t seem to work on enemies, which was disappointing. Story is a bit of a bore so far, though I concede there is probably a lot of story to go! Don’t think I’ll ever get there though. Gonna give it one more session.
I really was holding out benefit of the doubt for this one... such a fumble.

I know this project was likely inherited with the acquisition and Arkane was struggling with financial success, but this is such a rough look for MS.

I honestly didn't expect the game itself to come out and just be average. That sucks.

Now I don't feel bad for not finishing Xenoblade 3 Future Redeemed by today lol.

It's a huge shame. If we're looking for silver linings, it does answer the question: Which is a more powerful indicator of quality - Arkane in an interesting-sounding world, or the phrase "always-online coop shooter"?

might give this a try later since it's free, but I always had big doubts between the genre and the studio making it. sounds like my expectations were about right so I don't know if it's worth the hard drive space

It's a huge shame. If we're looking for silver linings, it does answer the question: Which is a more powerful indicator of quality - Arkane in an interesting-sounding world, or the phrase "always-online coop shooter"?
I know some co-op shooters that are fun, at least

I really was holding out benefit of the doubt for this one... such a fumble.

I know this project was likely inherited with the acquisition and Arkane was struggling with financial success, but this is such a rough look for MS.
I was really excited for this! Definitely a shame. The opening cutscene was motion graphics! Bad omen lol

Yeah, this is kinda bad.

I'll play The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom first, at the very least.

Such a shame. Arkane is one of the GOAT developers. Same thing happened with Rocksteady and SS. Hopefully they've learned from their mistakes and go back to what they do best.

For what it's worth, dev teams can take on projects with aspects outside their usual wheelhouse with success. This just feels like the dev team encountered too many hurdles they couldn't clear with the time and resources they had.
A time-frame and a lack of experience with doing open-world titles in general would both really present a nasty problem to Arkane.

Quite a pity.

For what it's worth, dev teams can take on projects with aspects outside their usual wheelhouse with success. This just feels like the dev team encountered too many hurdles they couldn't clear with the time and resources they had.

Yeah, I get that. I haven't played Redfall. I really want to, but I don't own a current gen Xbox (yet). I'm just going by what people have said about how they are trying to build an open world that still has these aspects of classic Arkane design, but that it just doesn't really work in the context of an open world.

It's why I shake my head when I hear people clamoring for Metroid Prime 4 to be an open world game. Open world design is an antithesis to Metroid design philosophies, and I just can't see it working out well.

The only reason I own an Xbox is for Arkane. These reviews hurt my soul. ☹️
The Wii U is more fun than a Xbox. I had a series S sold it for a Switch OLED in April. ( I was bit late to the Switch game).
From now on will play all Xbox games on PC with a Switch Pro Controller.

Truly disappointed in MS and Arkane. Deathloop was great.

As a huge Arkane fan, it sucks that Redfall sucks, and likely in large part because of factors out of the devs' control.

A time-frame and a lack of experience with doing open-world titles in general would both really present a nasty problem to Arkane.

Quite a pity.

Yup. I also think they havn't evolved thier gunplay and AI. In general, Arkane's gunplay and AI isn't great but can work in single player closed environments like Prey. Players are also more forgiving of bad gunplay when there are a plethora of tools outside of guns to tackle situations like it is in Prey. But in Redfall, the gunplay is a main focus so it has to be good and it just isn't. I also don't understand why when aiming down sight the weapon takes up so much space where you can't even see the enemy well, unless your using a scope weapon. The only time the game feels okay gunplaywise is when you are tackling an objective via stealth since you arn't relying on much quick movement.

Open World; just not fun to explore. I play ALOT of open world games and am typically more lenient towards them than others. I havn't played an Ubisoft game since Far Cry 3 but I rather have a game overly littered with things to do than an empty one. I don't know how they could fix this aspect outside of maybe making mini-dungeon portals that take you to another realm ala BotW, I mean even Monster Stories 2 while not an open world spruced up thier areas by tempting you with small dungeons that had good loot and popped up frequently.

Loot; I am early and have already gotten a Legendary. As a person that likes loot games and the ONLY Amiibo I ever bought was a Loot Goblin, the loot in this game is doing very little for me. Perhaps it gets better later but the effects are like passive and don't feel impactful...like getting loot that increases your accuracy while running isnt that noticeable to most players. Compare that to Outriders, where all of a sudden your bullets deal burning damage or Diablo where a Legendary item can spawn a clone for you or something.

Ultimately, even if they polish the game and fix all the bugs, it will still need an overhaul because my solo experience for this game is that it's not fun. I will give the game one more shot tonight with a friend but its looking like my biggest disappointment of the year.

Ultimately, even if they polish the game and fix all the bugs, it will still need an overhaul because my solo experience for this game is that it's not fun.
Great post and after playing another couple hours, this is my conclusion as well. Even if all the technical issues were fixed — and there are a lot of ‘em — I still wouldn’t play this game. Such a disappointment!

Great post and after playing another couple hours, this is my conclusion as well. Even if all the technical issues were fixed — and there are a lot of ‘em — I still wouldn’t play this game. Such a disappointment!
Yahaha!

...I... actually haven't played this game so I wouldn't know, but none of what I saw in the immediate lead-up to the game looked at all appetizing or made me want to play it.

the first big post-launch update is here. adding a 60FPS performance mode on consoles, stealth takedowns (a common ability in Arkane's titles that was surprisingly missing here), and improvements to the game's already fairly good ACCESSIBILITY options.

A friend and I are gonna check this out with an open mind next weekend. Curious to see how it is now that the game finally launched on October 6th :p

This game definitely plays better than it did before after a half hour running around the town getting into some trouble. The new control presets make it feel much better to play alongside the performance mode, enemies spawn more often so it doesn't feel as empty and I at least did not have any wild AI breaks which was the real problem for me before. I don't think any amount of patching will get it to the level folks really wish it was at compared to their other games, but within the scope of that it actually is and can be, it at least feels like where it probably should have been at launch now. A friend and I were talking about running through the campaign at some point now but it's hard to say when with so many exciting games coming out lol

Back
Top Bottom