• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Red Dead Redemption has hit #3 on the Nintendo eShop (#4 in Canada) (UPDAˇE: #1 Now)

I'm glad, but also not glad it's doing well.
Port is really lazy attempt at full price to cash in.

But I'm happy it's doing well just to prove to Rockstar that their games can sell on Switch.

I think it's worth remembering that this game sold out when it became backwards compatible on Xbox One. I would regularly see its stock depleted when I went to Wal-Mart in the weeks and months that followed.

I’ll probably pick it up when it goes on a nice sale, like 50% off or something.

I’m out of the loop on this one. Why is there negativity surrounding this release?
Some of it is the usual "how dare they charge more than $20 for this. Don't they know old game is old" discourse; some of it is that it still isn't on PC (which I agree is just fucking weird at this point).

I think a lot of it though is when the rumors of a Red Dead rerelease started to come out, a lot of people talked themselves into believing it was gonna be a "looks just like Red Dead 2"-level remake and are big mad that it's just a more mundane "let's just bump the resolution a bit and get it on modern platforms" port instead.

Last edited:
Gamers wanted a remaster, not a port. The port is fantastic, but not in the ways they get all up in arms about.
It is a remaster, especially by Switch standards... actually the biggest reason why the Switch version is getting slack is that gamers thought some big remake was coming to PC and PS5 because of rumours... but they got nothing... Switch got a great remaster. The circumstances changed but people still tried to perpetuate the same myth that this is a lazy port when that is wildly inaccuruate...

The games coding was apparently a mess on the older consoles and cobbled together. Developers did an excellent job here.

Switch version:

• better resolution than 360 version (equal to pS4 at 1080p docked)
  • better frame rate
  • more stable
  • qol improvments
  • dlc included
  • anti aliasing added

This and having it portable makes it the definitive version of the RDR from where I'm sitting.

Last edited:
It is a remaster, especially by Switch standards... actually the biggest reason why the Switch version is getting slack is that gamers thought some big remake was coming to PC and PS5 because of rumours... but they got nothing... Switch got a great remaster. The circumstances changed but people still tried to perpetuate the same myth that this is a lazy port when that is wildly inaccuruate...

The games coding was apparently a mess on the older consoles and cobbled together. Developers did an excellent job here.

Switch version:

• better resolution than 360 version (equal to pS4 at 1080p docked)
  • better frame rate
  • more stable
  • qol improvments
  • dlc included
  • anti aliasing added

This and having it portable makes it the definitive version of the RDR from where I'm sitting.
yep, and anecdotally, Steam games that can't run on portable PCs like GDPWin Max get Switch ports.

I point that out to say the Switch is punching way way way abover its paper specs generally and when it's a port like this, it's witchcraft.

yep, and anecdotally, Steam games that can't run on portable PCs like GDPWin Max get Switch ports.

I point that out to say the Switch is punching way way way abover its paper specs generally and when it's a port like this, it's witchcraft.
Not that I disagree with the fact that the Switch is more powerful than people give it credit for, but RDR running on it is absolutely not witchcraft at all. RDR is a game designed for the Xbox 360, which it ran and looked reasonably good on. The Switch is more powerful and better equipped by it by a factor of MANY, even in undocked mode. This is a very straightforward port, with some extremely minor enhancements that are not at all resource intensive relative to the hardware the Switch has. It’s a great port of a great game, but it’s not a technical marvel of any sort.

Not that I disagree with the fact that the Switch is more powerful than people give it credit for, but RDR running on it is absolutely not witchcraft at all. RDR is a game designed for the Xbox 360, which it ran and looked reasonably good on. The Switch is more powerful and better equipped by it by a factor of MANY, even in undocked mode. This is a very straightforward port, with some extremely minor enhancements that are not at all resource intensive relative to the hardware the Switch has. It’s a great port of a great game, but it’s not a technical marvel of any sort.
Well, all the commentary on HOW Red Dead Redemption is actually held together code wise would indicate that a remaster running this well with enhancements is indeed a bit of a marvel, but not because the Switch wasn't capable of it. Rather, it's a marvel because Rockstar seemingly was able to finally pull the game out of the purgatory it had occupied for a decade due to the supposed spaghetti code.

Well, all the commentary on HOW Red Dead Redemption is actually held together code wise would indicate that a remaster running this well with enhancements is indeed a bit of a marvel, but not because the Switch wasn't capable of it. Rather, it's a marvel because Rockstar seemingly was able to finally pull the game out of the purgatory it had occupied for a decade due to the supposed spaghetti code.
While true I have to wonder if they were willing to untangle it to the extent that it could run on the Switch, then what was stopping them from putting this release on PC as well?

Not that that takes away from your point at all, to be clear, just wondering what the priorities were at the time. Skipping Xbox I understand because the BC there makes it redundant, but PC?

Gamers wanted a remaster, not a port. The port is fantastic, but not in the ways they get all up in arms about.
Some of it is the usual "how dare they charge more than $20 for this. Don't they know old game is old" discourse; some of it is that it still isn't on PC (which I agree is just fucking weird at this point).

I think a lot of it though is when the rumors of a Red Dead rerelease started to come out, a lot of people talked themselves into believing it was gonna be a "looks just like Red Dead 2"-level remake and are big mad that it's just a more mundane "let's just bump the resolution a bit and get it on modern platforms" port instead.
Thanks for the replies. I guess I can kind of see not liking it at full price as I am not going to pay for it at that price. But I also already own the 360 version of it. I am just glad it is on Switch and will absolutely pick it up on a sale.

Yep... and let's not forget 1080p is double the pixels.of 720p... the Switch version looks a lot cleaner because of AA and the frame rate is also better.

Full price is pretty much the standard for an AAA remaster of this calibre on the Switch. Everything on Switch is expensive much less a good port of one of the all time greatest AAA titles.. even if it's from 2010.

Screenshot-2023-08-26-1-47-55-AM.png

Thanks for the replies. I guess I can kind of see not liking it at full price as I am not going to pay for it at that price. But I also already own the 360 version of it. I am just glad it is on Switch and will absolutely pick it up on a sale.

Not sure about sales on Rockstar games... LA Noire on Switch is still full price and it came out around launch and it's not as good a port as this.

the lack of 60fps is also weird on PS4. don't understand that bit
That sounds like a last minute decision. This probably was supposed to be a straight Switch port to accompany next gen remakes. Now that those remakes don't exist, they decided to port the game as ps will be the only one without it.

I totally expect the same situation with GTA4 and Midnight Club next year.

I don't have an Xbox 360 (I only own Nintendo consoles), and the fact that this is coming out on Switch means I get to play it along with the Batman Arkham Trilogy games for the very first time means I don't mind paying full price for it.

That Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, on the other hand, seems like a terrible deal by comparison, considering how bad the ports seem to be running.

I don't think lazy dev rhetoric should be used here at all and is way off the mark.

Port is brilliant.

An incredible amount of effort went into making this game run on PlayStation and Switch, and yet there are people who think it was a "mere cashgrab" or "lazy effort". It is quite disrespectful towards the developers, @IamPeacock.

An incredible amount of effort went into making this game run on PlayStation and Switch, and yet there are people who think it was a "mere cashgrab" or "lazy effort". It is quite disrespectful towards the developers, @IamPeacock.

A lazy effort would be the game with little too no optimization running at 720p with PS3 visuals in docked mode and 540p in undocked and call it a day

I don't have an Xbox 360 (I only own Nintendo consoles), and the fact that this is coming out on Switch means I get to play it along with the Batman Arkham Trilogy games for the very first time means I don't mind paying full price for it.

That Metal Gear Solid HD Collection, on the other hand, seems like a terrible deal by comparison, considering how bad the ports seem to be running.
Game is %100 worth full price. It is one of my favourite of all time. Even with me already owning the 360 version I am considering paying full price for the physical cart when it is released.

Both GTA Trilogy and La Noire have been half-price plenty of times. So if someone's willing to be patient they can probably get Red Dead on Switch for like $25 eventually.
I don't think the GTA Trilogy or La Noire were worth full price but I'd gladly pay that to Rockstar for actually delivering the goods with RDR.

I support companies like Rockstar as long as they deliver high quality content.

I know there was a lot of curiosity about how the Switch port of Red Dead Redemption might do, given it's a beloved game and IP getting its Nintendo debut, but at the same time the actual release being caught up in quite a bit of controversy, but it looks like it's done well.
I think it's safe to say that the loud minority that makes the most noise online, regarding anything videogame-related (be it for or against something), is often the opposite of how successful something will be.

Back
Top Bottom