• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Sales Data Red Dead Redemption has hit #3 on the Nintendo eShop (#4 in Canada) (UPDAˇE: #1 Now)

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
I know there was a lot of curiosity about how the Switch port of Red Dead Redemption might do, given it's a beloved game and IP getting its Nintendo debut, but at the same time the actual release being caught up in quite a bit of controversy, but it looks like it's done well. RDR is currently #3 on the eShop (#4 on the Canadian one), so it looks like the Switch audience has responded well to the game. I think the actual port being functional, rather than the broken hot mess that the GTA Trilogy was, helps too (plus the GTA trilogy also did well on Switch...), and the game itself has aged very well (and lends itself to the Switch form factor well).

I assume the physical release will end up doing well too. Hopefully this also means we can see RDR2 on Switch. I hate that game, but I also kind of like it, and think it's a masterpiece that everyone who has any interest in open world games or video game storytelling needs to play at least once.

That is definitely the case, especially on a system like Switch or PS4, which are owned by 100 million+ people, meaning a lot of broad mainstream audiences own those who simply do not care much about the frame rate or resolution, and are instead just happy to play a game they like (or have heard a lot about) on the system they own.

That, plus it seems like Nintendo actually seems to have really pushed it. It is one of the three featured stories on the lock screen, the top story in the news feed, the second game on the main featured page of the eShop, and also now it's at the top of the bestseller page too.

eshop tracking is about 2 weeks, so it could top out at #1 after another week. it's a strong open for something that was announced a few weeks before release, without even a Nintendo Direct preview. Hope it keeps selling.

eshop tracking is about 2 weeks, so it could top out at #1 after another week. it's a strong open for something that was announced a few weeks before release, without even a Nintendo Direct preview. Hope it keeps selling.
It's guaranteed to keep selling... massive ips like this have legs for years. Red Dead is up there with Skyrim, Mario Kart, Fortnite and GTA ect. in terms of software sales and brand awareness. The Over 50 Million Club.

As shown on the e-shop charts at installbase it's doing real good across the board (well, almost) and once it have 2 weeks of data it should be near or at the top on many different e-shops.

It is a very good port of an amazing game and has both Rockstar and Nintendo marketing it. This is less surprising than the next Pokemon game dropping to 10fps.

It's an amazing port.

Having a blast, and really hoping RDR2 comes to the new Nintendo console

fake-tears-cry.gif

They must be devastated. :LOL:

They must be devastated
Clicked on the reddit link out of curiosity and one of them literally said "just play it for free on PC" with a winking emoticon. Like, man, I get being salty but literally advocating for piracy? Granted, even if every single commenter in that thread resorted to that, I doubt it would be anything more than statistical noise in the spreadsheets.

Clicked on the reddit link out of curiosity and one of them literally said "just play it for free on PC" with a winking emoticon. Like, man, I get being salty but literally advocating for piracy? Granted, even if every single commenter in that thread resorted to that, I doubt it would be anything more than statistical noise in the spreadsheets.
Online advocacy for piracy for games like these always amounts to being a fraction of a fraction of a game's total addressable audience (even if every single person who is advocating for piracy ends up actually following through).

This release is aimed at people who:

1. Have never played RDR
  2. Want to replay it without plugging in an older console
  3. Want to play it portably
The market finds $50 an acceptable price for getting the ability to play this game on their favorite systems without hassle. Regardless of how mad it makes some people (and regardless of how much better the game's legacy does deserve).

That is definitely the case, especially on a system like Switch or PS4, which are owned by 100 million+ people, meaning a lot of broad mainstream audiences own those who simply do not care much about the frame rate or resolution, and are instead just happy to play a game they like (or have heard a lot about) on the system they own.
Even if they care: FPS and Resolution on Switch is good. Probably the best version of this game, at least far better than the original version.

I'm just hoping by the time it hits physical they'll fix the icon. :p
The lack of the title on it?
Even if they care: FPS and Resolution on Switch is good. Probably the best version of this game, at least far better than the original version.
If they care about framerate and resolution they want it to be top of the line, not 1080/30 lol

It’s also not the best version of the game, PS4 running on Pro/PS5 is. It is however a great version of the game regardless.

Whether people agree with the price or not, this is good. If this sells well, Rockstar might be more inclined to put their other games on Switch/Switch 2. RDR2, GTAIV/V, etc..

I’m tempted to pick this up, but fitting a massive cowboy game into my schedule when I’m already playing a massive DnD game before the massive space game comes out feels a bit daunting.

I feel like nigh every time I purchase an AAA port/remaster/remake on Switch, there are people online begging me not to get it on Switch (on social media or reviews) for some reason or another... I never listen of course and have been incredibly pleased with just about all of my purchases.

I’m holding out for a retail copy, but I’m delighted that this game is being normalised on my preferred platform AND that a well-done port is rewarded with our support.

Can’t be upset at the omission of the online mode. I read stories about a relentless racist operation from some users in RDR2’s online mode, and being Black with a learning disability, that crap takes its toll. Can’t bring myself to be so upset about the launch price because the true cost for Nintendo fans would’ve included a big investment of my time (being tethered to a wall socket at the expense of other daily life needs and priorities), then a “SPIT Charge” (Secondary Platform Inconvenience Tax) BEFORE playing a game like this, when personally, I don’t believe in buying another platform for non-exclusive third party content. On the whole, I’m pleased that this version exists and not a remake, which would’ve been needless. 💕✨

I’m tempted to pick this up, but fitting a massive cowboy game into my schedule when I’m already playing a massive DnD game before the massive space game comes out feels a bit daunting.
The DnD game was good, looking forward to that space game, but the cowboy game might just still win that showdown 🤠

L.A. Noire did well, GTA Trilogy did well, Red Dead Redemption is doing well.

Rockstar and Take-Two are sitting on a gold mine with the Switch (and, potentially, its successor); I'm convinced that ports/remasters of GTA IV, Liberty/Vice City Stories, Bully, Max Payne... would yield similar results.

Ultimately it's a quality port even if it's just the game more or less as it was. We have plenty of examples of ports worse then the original version.

Ultimately it's a quality port even if it's just the game more or less as it was. We have plenty of examples of ports worse then the original version.
It's improved in several ways on a technical level and it really works well as a portable game with its open world pick up and play style... visuals really pop on the Switch OLED

All things considered (not just technically), I feel this is the best way to play the game.

Few 3rd party games from big publishers reached number one on eShop, let's see if RDR also manages to achieve this feat.

Games that hit no 1:
Diablo 3
Diablo 2 remastered
Skyrim
Disney Dreamlight Valley
FF7
Spyro Trilogy
and more that I might have missed

GTA and Assassin's Creed Ezio Collection got to no 2 but not no 1. In comparison, I have never seen a third party game crack into top 3 on 3DS eshop. Only Layton 5 was no 4 once.

Last edited:
Few 3rd party games reached number one on eShop, let's see if RDR also manages to achieve this feat.

Games that hit no 1:
Diablo 3
Diablo 2 remastered
Skyrim
Disney Dreamlight Valley
FF7
Spyro Trilogy

GTA and Assassin's Creed Ezio Collection got to no 2 but not no 1. In comparison, I have never seen a third party game crack into top 3 on 3DS eshop. Only Layton 5 was no 4 once.
I think you're missing quite a lot, I mean, even right now no. 1 is Vampire Survivors...

Few 3rd party games reached number one on eShop, let's see if RDR also manages to achieve this feat.

Games that hit no 1:
Diablo 3
Diablo 2 remastered
Skyrim
Disney Dreamlight Valley
FF7
Spyro Trilogy

I think the price difference with Vampire Survivors will prevent RDR from the top spot. Also, Hades was Number 1 in Oct 2020 too with No More Heroes 1 and 2 right behind it. Quality ports of good games sell well.

Edit: Among us was almost certainly number 1 at one point as well and probably blocked other games for a similar reason.

I think you're missing quite a lot, I mean, even right now no. 1 is Vampire Survivors...
Didn't count smaller and cheaper indie games, because tens of them actually hit number one, including Stardew Valley, Celeste, Undertale, Deltarune, Fez and even Hotline Miami collection...

Didn't count smaller and cheaper indie games, because tens of them actually hit number one, including Stardew Valley, Celeste, Undertale, Deltarune and even Hotline Miami collection...
Well, using that definition there are not a lot of 3rd party games on Switch period...

Few 3rd party games from big publishers reached number one on eShop, let's see if RDR also manages to achieve this feat.

Games that hit no 1:
Diablo 3
Diablo 2 remastered
Skyrim
Disney Dreamlight Valley
FF7
Spyro Trilogy

Persona 5, DQ11, MH Rise all did.

EDIT: does Octopath count? I know Nintendo published it but it’s technically a Square game.

Persona 5, DQ11, MH Rise all did.
I don't remember MH Rise but Persona 5 and DQ11 didn't. In west, at least. Persona 5, Nier Automata and No Man's Sky did get into top 10 that month but Disney Dreamlight Valley kept the top spot for few weeks.

September 2019 was full of big releases, Link's Awakening got the top spot after it launched. I don't remember DQ11 even entering top 5 but it might have in japan.

I don't remember MH Rise but Persona 5 and DQ11 didn't. In west, at least. Persona 5, Nier Automata and No Man's Sky did get into top 10 that month but Disney Dreamlight Valley kept the top spot for few weeks.

September 2019 was full of big releases, Link's Awakening got the top spot after it launched. I don't remember DQ11 even entering top 5 but it might have in japan.
Yeah sorry, I was thinking global eShop placements, I should have kept my own topic title in mind lol

Games that hit no 1:
Diablo 3
Diablo 2 remastered
Skyrim
Disney Dreamlight Valley
FF7
Spyro Trilogy

Mortal Kombat 11 and Call of Juarez

It's a good thing to hear that it hits top 3, I just wait for physical tho. Here's hope that it will hit #1, but I like it that it is selling well even after the massive backlash it got

Rockstar, you'd better give us the sequel as well.
I mean, I predict we will get the sequel on the next system. Would be also pretty cool if we get Arthur and John in a future Smash game maybe as pallets swaps, maybe being echo's of each other, like the Belmont Bros.

I love the cast of characters in this one... Bonnie, Seth, Nigel Wes Dickens, Shakey... the game simply oozes charm and may just be Rockstar's very best.

I love the cast of characters in this one... Bonnie, Seth, Nigel Wes Dickens, Shakey... the game simply oozes charm and may just be Rockstar's very best.
Nigel West Dickens is Sweeney from Ned's Declassified!

tumblr_matafknKbj1rhw6fxo1_500.gif

The below titles has been #1 on the monthly e-shop charts in Europe at least once. And it goes without saying that many other third party titles has been #1 in both other regions and over shorter periods.

Minecraft
Sonic Mania
Mario + Rabbids Battle Kingdom
Stardew Valley
Oxenfree
Rocket League
Hollow Knight
Undertale
The Way Remastered
Final Fantasy VII
Cuphead
Untitled Goose Game
Unravelled 2
NBA 2K20
Hades
Among Us
Monster Hunter Rise
Portal Collection
Cult of Lamb
Disney Dreamlight Valley

It's a good thing to hear that it hits top 3, I just wait for physical tho. Here's hope that it will hit #1, but I like it that it is selling well even after the massive backlash it got

I mean, I predict we will get the sequel on the next system. Would be also pretty cool if we get Arthur and John in a future Smash game maybe as pallets swaps, maybe being echo's of each other, like the Belmont Bros.
I suspect the majority of the people who participated in the backlash were not the target customer for this product.

There's also an element of sour PC port beggers in the mix.

I always find it hilarious when fans spout for years nintendo can’t sell these kinds of third party games very well. It’s because of Nintendo’s home console decisions they lost third party support.

I always find it hilarious when fans spout for years nintendo can’t sell these kinds of third party games very well. It’s because of Nintendo’s home console decisions they lost third party support.
It's all about building and cultivating a fanbase on the console. With legacy GTA and RDR titles selling on the Switch the audience for sequels will be larger.

Often when there's a storm of negativity surrounding a game, it's a vocal minority and it still ends up doing well.
it was never going to be a problem with switch owners.
and tbh.....i think there wouldn't be this much backlash if this was a 2019 release....back when the ps4/xbone were still relevant.

I can't say I'm surprised. The game hasn't been released in over a decade, and this is the first time it is on a Nintendo console.

I doubt I will ever revisit it, but I think it is worth a playthrough. I thought it was a little overrated when I first played it, but considering the development hell that game went through, I'm impressed with what we got.

Back
Top Bottom