• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Rare Mario's Picross official toy by TOMY

mazi

picross pundit
recently found out about this on reddit (link), thought other picross fans or fans of old nintendo memorabilia would find it interesting.

some info from a japanese super mario fan site (DeepL translation):

Mario's Picross Puzzle Game

Publisher: Tomy
Year of release: ?
Price: 980 yen
Size: approx. 26 cm (package height)

Contents of the set: problem board, main unit, solution sheet, adhesive pen, spare pen tip, white and black pieces, panel, transparent cover

A puzzle game based on "Mario's Picross" released by TOMY

The game is portable, and users can play Picross anytime and anywhere by solving their favorite puzzles! The field size is 15 x 15, and there are black and white pieces, which are placed in the hollows of the field using a special pen with a sticky tip. The game is an analog version of the actual game. Fifty questions of different difficulty levels are prepared in advance, and players set them on the panel and try to solve them. You can aim for the target time written on the paper, or create your own problems. Incidentally, a little archeologist is at the top of the pen, which is a nice touch.

some low res pics from the website:

RGoU0dc.jpg
LHBF5pi.jpg
BYJzMMZ.jpg
qWaaGtN.jpg

a japanese collector of mario memorabilia recently posted some high res pics on twitter (link):

Ni2Fczl.jpg

90HAAB8.jpg

someone's currently selling the toy in not so great condition on ebay, and if there's no higher bids it can be yours for the low price of 900 dollars:

Last edited:
the fact it's easily removable plastic pieces is appreciated. the original Nongram puzzles the game is based off of were on paper. making correcting mistakes a challenge depending on what writing tool you use.

I don't suppose there are images of all the puzzles somewhere? I'd be nice to try them if they aren't already from a game.

I don't suppose there are images of all the puzzles somewhere? I'd be nice to try them if they aren't already from a game.
probably not. there's barely any pictures of this thing on the internet. maybe someone who knows how to look for stuff in japanese could find something but i doubt it.

I don't know how to explain it, but I can hear the game pieces just by looking at those photos. Very cool find!

it took a while but the person showing it says they plan to scan everything, including the puzzles/manual

Back
Top Bottom