• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Random great music from sh*tty games no one cares about

ReyVGM

Game Endings Master
Shitty games with awesome music tracks:

Camp California (Turbografx CD)

Bubsy in Fractured Furry Tales (Jaguar)

Davis Cup Tennis (Turbografx CD)

How about the Robocop theme from the GameBoy game- so good it ended up being used widely beyond it. I’ve got so many memories of GB chiptunes.

And here’s 5 hours of GB tunes, only some of which is from crap games but that I still spent hours listening to

And here’s more crap licensed games with decent soundtracks! Check out the Jurassic Park and Asterix themes

Sort of a loophole but this track is pretty well known despite never being used in the game itself:

The uploader for this one is the actual composer! Some interesting insight here:

After receiving lots of emails asking me to upload this, here you go. This track was never actually written for anything in particular, until I was asked if I had any unused tracks I'd written that could be added to 'The Flintstones'. There were four tracks that I contributed, those being - Password Screen, Cinema, Staff Roll and this. The reason the tracks ended up in 'The Flintstones' was the fact that there was spare ROM space on the cartridge and the programmers wanted to fill this up with music for their jukebox. The other tracks were used in the game, but of course this wasn't at all suitable, it was however left on the game cartridge.

Not a "shitty game no one cares about" but more of a personally disappointing game mechanically and the first PG release I never felt like replaying - Astral Chain. Great soundtrack though.

Camp California #49 is shockingly fire, like I am truly astounded. Gobsmacked. Thank you OP

Not a shitty game by any means. But I doubt anyone has nostalgic memories for 2013’s Forza Motorsport 5, a launch title for the Xbox one. It’s a totally fine Forza game, not as good as 4, but it looked great for the time. Anyway, it had a very interesting almost film esque sound track that a lot of fans and reviewers did not like but I loved it. I thought it made races feel very intense

the entire Tim Follin discography

to provide some examples

Not sure if Binary Land is shitty, but it is relatively obscure, and has a nice chiptune rendition of Erik Satie's Je Te Veux.

Astyanax (Nintendo Entertainment System)
♬Remlia

Gimmick! (Nintendo Entertainment System)
♬Happy Birthday

Last edited:
Beyond The Beyond (PlayStation)
Heartless Wilderness

Evolution: The World Of Sacred Device (Dreamcast)
Enemy Engagement

I've always loved the main theme from Toy Story Mania! - a Wii game that adapts the Disney theme park ride of the same name (which I don't think is a super common occurrence lol)

This thread was made for this boss track from a game probably no one ever played.

That's one of the best slapping tracks on gb I can think of.

Kioh Gyoku is a Twinkle Star Sprites-like Japanese indie game from 2001, and it's about 6 minutes long and feels like an unfinished demo that for some reason got released. The only reason anyone knows about it today is because they happened to have the Touhou guy doing the soundtrack.

Iggy's Reckin' Balls gets my vote. I actually love it despite it being shitty. OST freaking slaps. You can put the songs on a club or rave playlist and it'll fit

My favorite genre of video game music is "way better than it has any right to be"

Yes! I love stumbling upon tracks from weird little games where the composer just decided to go as hard as humanly possible. True passion.

The former sounds like it could have come from the C64's SID chip despite being on GBC, while the latter is from a game starring the mascot of a British crisps brand (Quavers, sort of curly cheese puffs?)

I would not call it a bad game, but I almost never see any mention of Mario Hoops 3 on 3 here. When we talk about Mario Sports, we usually think about tennis, golf, soccer, and sometimes baseball. I often forget that there was a basketball game, even though I played it a lot back then!

Anyways, the character selection song for 3 on 3 is a banger, and I just learned it was composed by the same guy who did music for Final Fantasy XIV and XVI! I also love the interjections from Mario (Martinet) towards the end of the clip.

I would not call it a bad game, but I almost never see any mention of Mario Hoops 3 on 3 here. When we talk about Mario Sports, we usually think about tennis, golf, soccer, and sometimes baseball. I often forget that there was a basketball game, even though I played it a lot back then!

Anyways, the character selection song for 3 on 3 is a banger, and I just learned it was composed by the same guy who did music for Final Fantasy XIV and XVI! I also love the interjections from Mario (Martinet) towards the end of the clip.

Yes! One of my favorite ds games as well, I have not heard this song in a long time thanks for the nostaligia trip.

I really loved the music of this intro when I was a kid, one of my first PS One games, but damn, visually it makes no sense, it makes me die laughing when I think back on it now, really.

Tamagotchi Corner Shop 1, 2 and 3 have some charming music (and were fun little time killers despite the middling reviews. 3 in particular I spent some decent time on)

The menu theme for Cyber Knight

Fairly crappy JRPG, but when I tried to play it I pretty much spent more time with it paused jamming to the menu music while on my phone than actual than actually playing lol

Tamagotchi Corner Shop 1, 2 and 3 have some charming music (and were fun little time killers despite the middling reviews. 3 in particular I spent some decent time on)

Disqualified on account of the game being goated

My favorite genre of video game music is "way better than it has any right to be"

(Jimmy White's Cueball)
for the record, this game (at least the console versions) was directed by the late, great Archer Maclean.
after creating the notable microcomputer titles International Karate and Dropzone, he spent the rest of life generally coasting around creating high quality video game recreations of Billiards. they even frequently included Dropzone as a bonus mini-game.
there were a few decent original titles sprinkled in as well, such as Mercury. but his main focus became Pool.
The former sounds like it could have come from the C64's SID chip despite being on GBC,
and as for the Game Boy Color as a whole, a lot of demoscene developers moved to working commercial games on that system. which is why a decent chunk of the library sounds like that.
the Haribo example linked was by Stello Doussis, who worked on C64 and Amiga demos under various pseudonyms like "Coyer" and "arch0N"
other notable examples include Shin'en, which was a whole studio founded by members of the demoscene group "Abyss". and the unreleased title "Katakis 3D" featuring a soundtrack composed by Tufan Uysal of Smash Design.

Beat this game late last year. While this game was not actively bad, it was mediocre with bad pacing, but a killer soundtrack. Specially the boss themes, which my favorite would have to be AIENKIEN

Back
Top Bottom