• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Radirgy Swag has received a digital Switch release in the west, over 2 years after it launched in Japan

Krvavi Abadas

Mr. Archivist
Pronouns
He/They
788057-radirgy-swag-nintendo-switch-front-cover.jpg

A bit of a cult classic, this one.

The original Radirgy was an Arcade game made in 2005, running on the Dreamcast-based Naomi hardware. It naturally got a port there a year later, as SEGA left that system running in the background as late as 2007 in Japan.
77946-radirgy-dreamcast-front-cover.jpg

Obviously the western branch of SEGA certainly wasn't going to help localize it. But a potential solution came in the form of Gamecube and Playstation 2 ports about 3 months later.

and sure enough, O3 Entertainment (Who previously localized Chaos Field, from the same developer) ended up picking the Gamecube version up. With plans to release it under the name "Radio Allergy"....

But this was announced in January 2007.
Needless to say, they were unable to find anyone willing to distribute the game. Even though the localization was basically complete by that point.
A finished build of that version would eventually leak online in 2020. But going back to the initial cancellation announcement, O3 stated they were "exploring options to bring this to North America as part of a future compilation on the Wii".
Which was eventually accomplished in 2009 in the form of the "Ultimate Shooting Collection".
ASu5W.jpeg

Don't let the awful box-art fool you, this was the official localization of Radirgy. Bundled with the previously localized Chaos Field, and topped with a brand new localization of Karous.

With that gap out of the way, surely the series would be ensured in terms of localization in the future. Right?
Unfortunately, this was not the case. The series continued onwards as a Japan-only thing for the next several years. With the multiplayer focused "Noa" for Wii and Arcades.

An enhanced "massive" re-release of Noa on Xbox 360 and the reasonably localizeable platform that is PC.
1009150-radirgy-noa-massive-windows-screenshot-title-screen.png

and an interesting tower defense X shmup concept on 3DS, "Radirgy De Gojaru!"

Swag seemed like it was going to be doomed to the same fate. But Dispatch Games swooped in a month after it launched in Japan. They also were supposed to be making a physical release, (The Japanese side actually got a retail bundle including it and Illvelo Swamp. So you might be better off getting that.) but i have no idea what happened to it. Considering it took them over two years just to release it digitally, i'd imagine it'll take a while.

You must've missed the hooplah with Dispatch. @SeafoamGaming can bring you up to speed.

They also promised a free code for anyone who kept their physical pre-order. But I assume again the codes got delayed?

I'd certainly love a code if anyone doesn't want theirs...

Radirgy was the start of Milestone's shield and sword shmup era. Oh and items you suck towards you and bombs that further suck things towards you.

Never got to play much from them after Illvelo.

I wouldn't expect that physical any time soon. A lot of us are still waiting on our physical copies of Game Paradise from Dispatch. I'll be amazed if either actually ship this year.

Yeah, uh, Dispatch has been fucking this one up for eons now, so it's a miracle this one finally came out at all. Company is ran by a single dude from his own home and they've been nearly out of money several times now, ghosting customers for years: this was to launch back in 2019 and uh, it just now came out, so that should tell you what's been going on. I made a writeup on the dude here.

Luckily it sounds like the game is functional and the TL, while rocky, still gets the job done... so at least this was brought over. Do not expect that LE with the vinyl record to come anytime soon though...

Like its cool they're sending out codes but I didn't give them money YEARS ago for a damn digital download. Send people the physical games they paid you for.

Got this and I’m enjoying it. Don’t really know what strategy to use but it’s fun anyways.

the game was delisted from the western eShop 2 months ago
In the latest debacle surrounding publisher Dispatch Games, digital versions of Radirgy Swag have been delisted from the North American, Australian, and European Switch eShops.

The game, which was published by Dispatch Games in the West, was removed back on April 7th, 2023 for Europe and Australia, and on April 11th, 2023 for North America. As for the reasoning behind the removal, it's probably safe to assume at this stage that Dispatch Games has lost its license to publish the game digitally, after effectively ceasing operations back in August 2022. Radirgy Swag is still available in Japan, having been published by developer RS34.
apparently this series just can't catch a break when it comes to getting localized.

the (western) physical copies never got shipped out either, making things particularly frustrating to deal with.

That's wild.

I wonder if the Japanese version has an English language option.

I'd be real interested in reading an article about the one person from Dispatch Games at this point, not as a way of laying any blame, but to get a sense of what that experience of attempting such a big undertaking by yourself is like...

Back
Top Bottom