• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion R(h)ate the Direct (September 2023 Edition) - FINAL POOL RESULTS AND UPDATED RANKING

Rate it!

• 1 star

Votes: 48 9.4%
  • 2 stars

Votes: 123 24.0%
  • 3 stars

Votes: 203 39.6%
  • 4 stars

Votes: 107 20.9%
  • 5 stars

Votes: 31 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Another Code makes the Direct an instant 5/5 regardless of anything before and after

I thought the first look at the Nintendo Museum (the roof, specifically) was really cool. There's a pretty good chance I'm visiting Japan next Autumn and of course a stop in Kyoto was always on the hanafuda cards. The new museum is just the cherry atop Patissier Peach's cake. 🎂

Is there something about directs having "a theme"? I feel like in most directs I see a lot of similar genres. It used to be farming simulators in a previous one, now this one was mario themed and RPG themed.

^ This

Bought it and it’s the hardest I’ve laughed at a game in a while. The cards you unlock are just…fantastic. Lmao
Yeah the game is just funny everywhere it can be pretty much. Although I was hunched over, eyes shut laughing so hard towards the end of In the Hall of the Mountain King which made me play even worse but my ears could still hear and just made me laugh even harder. I was dead by the end of the song.

Can't wait to try it in multiplayer. This being shadow dropped during the Direct makes the Direct a 5 stars. This is a GOTY contender for me.

Not really the worst, that were the Directs in the start of the Switch era or the September 2019 Direct. Showing sizzle reel closer to end with games was so weird. But this was about expected when we are going to get new console next year. Giving it 3 stars. It would have been much better if the Peach game and LM2 weren't shown in June.

“There’s so many remakes like the 3DS after the switch game out” Buddy remakes have padded out this switch’s library for almost 7 years.

If this aired in 2021 or 2022 I don’t think anyone would say this lineup gives “end of life” vibes or whatever. It’s just that everybody is impatient that the switch 2 isn’t announced yet.
Ehh no. Literally every first party game for 2024 is either a remake or a remaster, except for Princess Peach Showcase. This is an unusual situation in Switch's lifecycle and it's so obvious that I don't see how someone could deny it. It is clear as day that the software lineup is conditioned by the launch of a new system in the near future.

Trash!

But that's only now that I know the best announcement of all was omitted from the English versions.

Shin-chan! Shin-chan! Shin-chan!

I don't promise to not get the Japanese version rather than wait.

I'm giving it 4 within the context of the fact that this is the last year of the Switch. It's a damn packed and good last year. With the likes of Wonder what seems to look like the actual continuation of SMW instead of the NSMB mediocrity, new experimental game with Peach, and 2 Mario RPG's.

The Switch is going out gracefully. Having said that, I would have preferred these games to be spread out over the Switch's life time, there were years with barely any Mario content and now we get 2 RPG's within months of each other.

The balance is wack.

4/5. If this is really is the Switch's last time being the star before it joins its ancestors, I came off pretty pleased.

Compared to last year's direct at this same timeframe that basically bored me to tears, this one had some nice stuff for me to peep, even if I didn't get much of anything I was really hoping to see for new announcements.

Peach game showcase won me over. SaGa Emerald looked great as a Kawazu truther. Vanillaware's newest title seems poised to fill the gap in my heart that Ogre Battle used to be (and unlike past Vanillaware games, looks to avoid Kamitani's usual fetishes), Koei's Romance of the Three Kingdoms (oddly) had a remake of a classic that didn't show up on the English direct, despite later being confirmed to be a western release. F-Zero 99 is winning me over. Tomb Raider classic trio is nice to see again. Mario v. DK getting a remake of its (imo) best work is great to see. Eiyuuden looking good so far.

While I can understand wanting more of a variety of series to show up? If I am being quite honest, those who didn't expect Nintendo to fill these next few months with a wealth of Mario-flavored content to serve as accompaniments to the major motion picture only have themselves to blame.

Last edited:
Solid b and a half for me. It’s clear that most of the “big” games are being held for their next console, but there’s still a lot of cool stuff coming. Even if it is a lot of remakes/remasters. Like I’m hyped as hell for paper mario and mario rpg, and its cool we’re getting a new peach game

Trombone Champ really shouldn't be slept on. The game is hilarious.
A lot of this forum are mostly concerned with Nintendo 1st party. Trombone Party, Dave the Diver etc being there is irrelevant.

And when I say Nintendo 1st party, Metroid is up there in importance on famiboards. Splatoon doesn't seem that popular. The side dish dlc looks great.

Final pool results and updated Nintendo Direct ranking
~~~ STOP THE COUNT!!1!!! ~~~

People at Famiboards, you made your voices heard!

24 hours have passed and we have the result:

With 2.90234375 stars, the September 2023 Nintendo Direct was the lowest-rated Direct according to this community since the creation of Famiboards.

1. Feb 2022 Direct - 4.26 stars⭐⭐⭐⭐- 446 votes
  2. Feb 2023 Direct - 4.00 stars⭐⭐⭐⭐ - 469 votes
  3. Jun 2023 Direct - 3.62 stars⭐⭐⭐ - 417 votes
  4. Jun 2022 Direct - 3.60 stars⭐⭐⭐ - 366 votes
  5. Sep 2022 Direct - 3.44 stars⭐⭐⭐ - 352 votes
  6. Sep 2023 Direct - 2.90 stars⭐⭐ - 512 votes

Last edited:
I am super interested to finally try TTYD. I’ll be honest, some of the more. . .zealous fans kinda had me not to play it/worried of hype backlash if I did, so I’ve kinda avoided doing so for years. Now that it’s getting remade and my hubby will absolutely be buying it, I’ll give it a fair shake.

Looks like there’s a definite trend forming. I’ll be curious to see how things fare next year.

It certainly feels like there’s good reason for the September Direct to be the weaker of the regular 3. June mostly exists to set the table for the holiday season while February is there to give new owners things to look forward to for the next few months.

September has this weird role of basically being there to add more detail on the holiday lineup that was shown in June (I think in hindsight if they had rolled the Wonder Direct into this year’s presentation it would have been stronger but also contributed to the Mario Malaise), hype up some partner things for TGS (which is probably why the JP stream was more exciting for some), and queue up what’s coming in the first quarter of next year. But December and January tend to be kinda quiet months for gaming so there’s never going to be a lot to announce for that period.

So as a whole I think the September Directs are generally going to be the weaker ones. And I think that’s ok! We clearly have a cycle or pattern and to quote Mars Attacks: “two of out of three, and that ain’t bad”.

It was a subpar direct but in a year with Pikmin 4, ToTK and soon Mario Wonder, I can't be any drop upset

I'm all for the final months of the year not being front loaded and am super happy with this year in full. I'm less confident about next year with what we know so far, but we don't know enough to make a serious point there. It's obviously going to be more loaded around Switch 2.

Still don’t really get why the rating for the February direct this year was as high as it is, but alas.

Of these 6, this one falls into a decent 5th place for me. Only beat out the June 2022 direct, but I thought all of these were at the very least good.

3/5, but I didn't have high expectations

Splatoon 3 Expansion Pack has been super lame. I don't know how you can charge people $25 for a remastered hub that should be free and then make them wait a year for actual content. They should have at least ported over the Splatoon 1 story levels so people have some more value. Side Order seems like a roguelike mode, which might be fine.

I was down on the Mario v. DK rumor because I haven't enjoyed the mini-Mario games, but when I saw this one I was pleasantly surprised that it was going back to the basics...until I realized it was just a remake of the GBA game. The original holds up so well and there is nothing preventing Nintendo from dumping it on NSO except greed. This should have been a new game using the remade assets.

I loved Hotel Dusk so I am looking forward to Another Code: Recollection. It looks great and has a lot of content.

Super Mario RPG looks pretty good. The extra content seems kind of lacking; I would have liked some new story or something else beyond some super bosses.

Princess Peach: Showtime looks like it's nailing what the developers were going for. There looks to be a lot of variety and they are using the character well. I am not sure if it looks fun to play. Seems too simple and straight forward, but good for kids.

The Contra game looks straight up bad. If you don't want to give the game enough of a budget for 3D graphics, just keep it 2D. Hopefully things improve before release.

Tomb Raider Trilogy looks neat. I am going to keep tabs on this and if the controls work well, I will definitely pick it up.

F-Zero 99 is totally awesome on its own and seems like a good omen for the series. If you look at the IP Nintendo has leveraged for NSO games, it has been exclusively iconic franchises (i.e. Tetris, Mario, Pac Man). For them to invest in F-Zero there must be some bigger strategy at play. I think this is a Pikmin Bloom situation where the free game is being used to build the brand so that a follow up will perform better. I would expect another F-Zero within a year or two. It might just be a remaster of F-Zero GX, but if we are lucky Nintendo might want something fast and flashy to show off the new hardware, and we get a brand new 4K F-Zero in the launch window of the Switch successor.

The Nintendo Museum is cool and seems like the perfect way to branch out of games. Amiibo however, should be banned.

Luigi's Mansion 2 was one of my favorite games on the 3DS but I don't think the HD version looks that good. It just compares so unfavorably to the sequel, which looks amazing. Hopefully the controls, performance, and online are improved enough that it becomes the definitive version.

Warioware Move It! and Super Mario Wonder look good. The third party support seems fine.

Paper Mario: TTYD is a great get. It's another case where the original holds up well, but the new graphics are nice and it seems like they are hinting at some additional content with Peach. The worst thing about TTYD is the bland level design and backtracking, which doesn't seem like it would be fixed in this iteration, but the writing is still so charming that it's a must play anyway. If you look at the timeline of AlphaDream going out of business, Origami King was too far along to pivot from its original design, but this could absolutely be a trial balloon to see if Paper Mario can be an RPG series again. Here's hoping.

Overall, this was a pretty low key direct. There were no bangers announced and the opener and closer being a delayed DLC roguelike mode and a remaster of a not that old game is pretty lame. There are like seven remakes coming out between September 2023 and Summer of next year, which is total overkill. There are so many remakes that they just stopped coming up with new names (Mario v. DK and Paper Mario retain the same name as the originals), probably so it is less obvious.

This is definitely feeling like an end-of-lifecycle Direct, and Nintendo seemed insecure about that when the final sizzle reel consisted of ALL THESE NINTENDO GAMES WE HAVE MADE THAT ARE COMING YOUR WAY. I would still expect another Switch Direct in February, consisting of Metroid Prime 4, supplemented by maybe a small Kirby title and Mario Baseball. Otherwise we are pretty much landing the plane here.

With 2.90234375 stars, the September 2023 Nintendo Direct was the lowest-rated Direct according to this community since the creation of Famiboards.

1. Feb 2022 Direct - 4.26 stars⭐⭐⭐⭐
  2. Feb 2023 Direct - 4.00 stars⭐⭐⭐⭐
  3. Jun 2023 Direct - 3.62 stars⭐⭐⭐
  4. Jun 2022 Direct - 3.60 stars⭐⭐⭐
  5. Sep 2022 Direct - 3.44 stars⭐⭐⭐
  6. Sep 2023 Direct - 2.90 stars⭐⭐
lesson is, get hyped for February

treat September like it doesnt exist.

Honestly rather bewildered at the low scores for this one. I found the Feb one to be pretty much near impossible to top, but for a Sept direct this was pretty solid. Me thinks people took too much stock in rumors hyping up other things that likely don't exist or aren't anywhere close to being shown yet when the Switch has a full calendar year ahead of it, (No way the Switch 2 is launching before September of next year, imo) s Easy 4/5 stars for me since the Jan-Mar output looks solid and full of fun gems. The fact a Mario Vs DK game was not another lemmings curse and is remaking the best one is honestly the best sort of outcome for that IP, and if I include the JP direct, Shiren 6 easily makes this like, the most hype direct of the Switch era for me and a 6/5 (but that's because I'm a MD mega fan waiting 8 years for a new game)

Biggest bummer for me was no NSO retro news, but with enough announced games to last until Feb I'm not exactly that surprised. F-Zero 99 honestly is just as good if not better than what I was expecting too and a smart way to bring the series back and have something actually get tried by newcomers. But yeah, i dunno why people think they were getting new 3D Donkey Kongs, Marios, or Metroids in the final year of the Switch's life: maybe one of em, but it's clear they gotta save some of that stuff for the launch lineup of the next system... Especially with MP4 being worked on long and hard. (So I'm guessing it's a late 24 game at this point and a cross release)

Honestly rather bewildered at the low scores for this one. I found the Feb one to be pretty much near impossible to top, but for a Sept direct this was pretty solid. Me thinks people took too much stock in rumors hyping up other things that likely don't exist or aren't anywhere close to being shown yet when the Switch has a full calendar year ahead of it, (No way the Switch 2 is launching before September of next year, imo) s Easy 4/5 stars for me since the Jan-Mar output looks solid and full of fun gems. The fact a Mario Vs DK game was not another lemmings curse and is remaking the best one is honestly the best sort of outcome for that IP, and if I include the JP direct, Shiren 6 easily makes this like, the most hype direct of the Switch era for me and a 6/5 (but that's because I'm a MD mega fan waiting 8 years for a new game)

Biggest bummer for me was no NSO retro news, but with enough announced games to last until Feb I'm not exactly that surprised. F-Zero 99 honestly is just as good if not better than what I was expecting too and a smart way to bring the series back and have something actually get tried by newcomers. But yeah, i dunno why people think they were getting new 3D Donkey Kongs, Marios, or Metroids in the final year of the Switch's life: maybe one of em, but it's clear they gotta save some of that stuff for the launch lineup of the next system... Especially with MP4 being worked on long and hard. (So I'm guessing it's a late 24 game at this point and a cross release)
Why is it bewildering when you admit it's clear they're saving stuff for their next system? I thought people were a bit harsh last year when we got an entirely new Fire Emblem game announced and the very very long awaited official reveal of Pikmin 4. But this Direct had hardly anything new at all from Nintendo. The TTYD remaster is nice and the Another Code remake collection was a big surprise to me, but even though I'm excited to get them it still isn't the same as getting new game announcements like we did last year. The biggest new first party game was the NSO exclusive release of F-Zero 99. And I appreciate niche third party game announcements (sometimes equally as much as first party stuff as a JRPG fan), but last year was strong on that front too. If you're wondering why I keep bring up last year it's because that was previously the lowest rated Direct here from that post. Most aren't really factoring what might be saved for future Directs and future systems when voting, so I think the ratings being lower for this year are pretty much expected.

Considering we’re almost certainly in the Switch’s final year as Nintendo’s “main” platform, I thought it was a great Direct.

It was a subpar direct but in a year with Pikmin 4, ToTK and soon Mario Wonder, I can't be any drop upset

I'm all for the final months of the year not being front loaded and am super happy with this year in full. I'm less confident about next year with what we know so far, but we don't know enough to make a serious point there. It's obviously going to be more loaded around Switch 2.
Kinda where I am at. Directs are entertaining regardless. Wider discussions in the gaming sphere are started from them, even if I’m not interested in every announcement. Haven’t touched F-Zero, but it’s a really cool thing that exists and I’m happy to see the reception and enjoy talking about it.

It’s not like 2018 or 2020 where I’m like “PLEASE announce games Nintendo😭

It’s really just Prime 4 at this point. The schedule is pretty loaded all things considered. I’ll be getting Wonder and RPG for sure, I don’t really need anything for these next few months.

But yeah, i dunno why people think they were getting new 3D Donkey Kongs, Marios, or Metroids in the final year of the Switch's life

Maybe because Nintendo promised us Metroid Prime 4 since .... 2017 ? Why it'll be crazy to hope for a new Donkey Kong when the last one came out 10 years ago ? These aren't crazy expectations regarding these games.

Nobody expected a new Mario 3D, a Xenoblade Chronicles 4, a Luigi's Mansion 4, a Mario Kart X and so on, because it's very clear that these games will be released on the next console. With the exception of Mario Kart, Switchi has already had its own game.

Not to mention F-Zero 99.... A big missed opportunity from Nintendo, in my opinion.

The rating for this Direct is well deserved.

F-Zero 99 saved this.
Although i gotta say the pacing was good even if i didn't care for 90% of its content.

I wasn't expecting anything big here anyway, we're just slowly approaching the end of the Switch.
Overall if Mario Wonder is as fun as it looks this will probably be my favorite switch year, can't complain at all.

I don't get the "what were you expecting, it's the end of the console's life" comments, specifically regarding how to rate this Direct.

I totally get that it's the end of the console's life, and therefore that Direct was literally exactly what I was expecting. I had no problem with that at all. But it also doesn't make it good.

The fact that there are reasons why we got what we got or that it's far superior to what other Nintendo consoles were getting at this stage of their lifespans doesn't make this a good direct, it's just an explanation for why it was a poor one.

You rate Directs vs other Directs, not versus what you were told to expect going in. "Welp, Nintendo told us beforehand that this Direct would only show one game, but they showed two. So you have to be happy with that!" Nah, doesn't work that way. The Directs with multiple big new first party reveals get the top marks. And yes, that's biased towards the first year of a console's life. That's just how it works.

And as always (I've said this a trillion times at this point) something that accounts for big gaps in reaction is that there are those who treat remasters and ports with the enthusiasm of new releases, and those (like myself) for whom they mean almost nothing at all, because we rarely replay / rebuy games. For us latter kind of people, there was nothing much here.
People's rating criteria simply aren't universal, I guess. You can decide that context doesn't matter, and that's respectable, but it's not an absolute truth. I don't see anyone denying that the Direct wasn't particularly exciting, but deciding that the console's end of life wasn't to be taken into account at all is simply as valid an opinion as any. The same goes for remasters. Regardless of what you think of them, even if you don't like the principle, there are in fact people who are going to discover these games, no more and no less (this will be my case for Another Code).

Reasonable. The console's dyin', Cloud, and all that. Shame about Metroid Prime 4, though.

I do wish we'd get more weird Japanese announcements that constantly pop up in Japanese directs. Then every single one would be like a 4. For example, that spiritual sequel to Moon, same about pseudo-Goemon. Instead we got relative heavy-hitters but they're all remakes and smaller titles.

Famiboards is an inclusive site. Please avoid such gross imagery. -Josh5890, Derachi, PixelKnight
an understandable closing direct before switch 2. basically 3ds end happening again.

given that, for me, the extremely specific combo connoisseur of old classic games and visual novels:

having Another Code actually make a comeback after like a decade+ and F-Zero 99 based on the F-Zero game i played the absolute fuckton out of, i creamed ya'll

5/5

A lot of this forum are mostly concerned with Nintendo 1st party. Trombone Party, Dave the Diver etc being there is irrelevant.

And when I say Nintendo 1st party, Metroid is up there in importance on famiboards. Splatoon doesn't seem that popular. The side dish dlc looks great.
Those would be great gets for an indie showcase, and fine in betweens for a direct, the problem was a lack of new stuff, in : not remake/remaster or already released on another platform.

Proportionally they got rarer as the console goes, obviously, but now it's stacking when the big announced games get released.

Splatoon 3 was received great. This DLC was already announced, and now took longer then expected. It obviously won't get treated like a new game.

I honestly found this to be roughly on par with June, just slightly bellow. But I also did not expect anything big anymore till they show switch 2.

hi, is it possible to include # of voters next to your results?

here it is:

here it is:

thank you. Very interesting to actually see votes dip in the 2nd half of 2022,.

I am trying to understand... how did TTYD become the final announcement. It's very weird to me that they would hype it this much.

Think about it... Prime Remaster got shadowdropped.

Heck even Origami King was announced over a tweet if I remember correctly. Why does this remake get this treatment?

I like to hope they really want people to play this game, that they believe in it that much and that it didn't have its moment in Gamecube sales-wise.
But I also am fearful since Mario RPG comes so soon before... will people play both games?

It's okay if they have nothing really new games to show and plan to publish only remakes and remaster for Switch's final year(s). But then please be transparent about it and show what you plan for 2024 and not only the already known ones.

It's mainly Mario again (DK vs Mario, Peach, TTYD, MRPG). And the rest was already showen in the last direct. F-Zero99 wasn't for everyone either. A lot of people had something different in mind for the revival of F-Zero ( Remaster of GX for example).

Were are franchises like F- Zero GX, Kid Icarus, Fire Emblem, Rhythm Heaven, Metroid Prime 2&3, Zelda WW/ TP, Wave Race. You can't tell me they revive Advance Wars, Baten Kaitos and Another Code of all the things but left the others in limbo. I refuse to believe that.

I am trying to understand... how did TTYD become the final announcement. It's very weird to me that they would hype it this much.

Think about it... Prime Remaster got shadowdropped.

Heck even Origami King was announced over a tweet if I remember correctly. Why does this remake get this treatment?

I like to hope they really want people to play this game, that they believe in it that much and that it didn't have its moment in Gamecube sales-wise.
But I also am fearful since Mario RPG comes so soon before... will people play both games?
I think they ended with it because they had nothing better. Most of the hype announcements will be saved for the next console. Logically this remake should have been revealed in the February Direct next year, closer to release and after Mario RPG is out. But I'm guessing they simply had nothing bigger to end it with. They know TTYD is a beloved game that'll generate some excitement so it would do the job.

Nate's gonna drop a video soon, a response to the Nintendo Direct.

here it is:

I was banned for three weeks for 'bad faith arguing' about how bad a September Direct would be after the Skeleton-Crew Direct in June.

And what happened next? The worst Direct of all time.

Honestly I take back my previous assessment that I'm only happy with this because of recency bias

We're at the end of a generation, Wonder is covering the mainstream for the fall + holiday, and Nintendo is confidently saying to their core audience "ok we hear you and know exactly what you want" with things like FZero 99, Mario RPG and TTYD.

That doesn't make this a wonderful Direct by any means, but in some ways it feels close to best case scenario.

Honestly I take back my previous assessment that I'm only happy with this because of recency bias

We're at the end of a generation, Wonder is covering the mainstream for the fall + holiday, and Nintendo is confidently saying to their core audience "ok we hear you and know exactly what you want" with things like FZero 99, Mario RPG and TTYD.

That doesn't make this a wonderful Direct by any means, but in some ways it feels close to best case scenario.

Yeah, within that context it wasn't bad at all I think. It served its purpose very well.

I wasn't able to vote in time but 3 stars is what I would have rated it. The main problem with the direct is most of the games shown that I was interested in were already known. Like I think only Another Code Recollection and Tomb Raider collection were the only thing I was interested in that were new. I was interested in Mario vs DK but $50? I might wait to get that.

Expectations definitely play a role. Given the state of the Switch, it delivered fairly well. In a vacuum against other directs, there wasn’t a whole lot here.

Assuming we get another direct of some kind, whether it’s a general or a mini, we’ll be dealing with the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom