• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion R(h)ate the Direct (September 2023 Edition) - FINAL POOL RESULTS AND UPDATED RANKING

Rate it!

• 1 star

Votes: 48 9.4%
  • 2 stars

Votes: 123 24.0%
  • 3 stars

Votes: 203 39.6%
  • 4 stars

Votes: 107 20.9%
  • 5 stars

Votes: 31 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
this is actually the harshest place online I have seen from general reactions

not necessarily a bad thing, just what I noticed
I think this the wildest thing. 40% of famiboards thinks it's a 1 or 2 stars, while I've seen YouTube polls like from SpawnWave which people mostly see it as a C or B, so 3 or 4 stars here.

I'm surprised anyone expected 3D Zelda remasters with TotK being recent and the next 3D Zelda releasing in 5-6 years. There's plenty of time to fill out the calendar in that gap.

i'm a fake nintendo fan.

here, take my membership card
Genuinely what where you expecting 7 years into a system's life? I'm actually curious because I cannot fathom thinking this direct was a 1/5 or even the worst Direct this generation.

Like at most the only other things that could have been here were MP4 and Fire Emblem 4, the latter of which would also have people on this site whining because it's a remake.

Quiz time Fami:

What surprise game announcement or what change in the direct would make any of you bump up the score a notch?
I would have liked having Metroid Prime 2 to start tonight.

But otherwise, FE4 Remake would have made it go from 3 to 5 stars, personally lol

This is literally just June Direct 2 and people are acting like it's egregiously terrible
June Direct was bad and you didn't even like it!

That being said, I don't think this is the worst Direct of the Switch era. I'm not even sure it's bottom 2. At least the first 3 openers were pretty cool.

Is it opposite day? The June Direct was absolutely bonkers
Any joking aside, I just fail to see what was so bonkers about the June direct. I get it if most of what you like from Nintendo is Mario and you're 30+ years old and have nostalgia for Super Mario RPG. Neither of those things are true for me (and even then my most liked games of that direct are Wonder and Super Mario RPG, so that should show how dry it was!)

Genuinely what where you expecting 7 years into a system's life? I'm actually curious because I cannot fathom thinking this direct was a 1/5 or even the worst Direct this generation.

Like at most the only other things that could have been here were MP4 and Fire Emblem 4, the latter of which would also have people on this site whining because it's a remake.
a game announced 7 years ago and a better FZero.

I think this the wildest thing. 40% of famiboards thinks it's a 1 or 2 stars, while I've seen YouTube polls like from SpawnWave which people mostly see it as a C or B, so 3 or 4 stars here.
Yup, and those polls tend to be super negative on almost everything.

yeah but people are acting like this is new

switch is dying, people should be grateful that software has the future it does
I can get behind that perspective and I agree. I don't think it really denies people the right to complain about a presentation being bad though, but the software lineup is honestly very good for such an old console.

It was pretty good but overall is clear the next console is coming soon lol, the releases ater Mario Wonder really reminded me to the 3DS support after the Switch came out which included: remake of Superstar Saga and Bowser Inside Story, remake of FE Gaiden, reimagining of Metroid 2, the 3DS versions of Epic Yarn, Captain Toad and Wolly World, Pokémon USUM and also Mario Party The Top 100, WarioWare Gold and Mario Sports Superstars which all 3 of them had a lot of recycled content.

I can get behind that perspective and I agree. I don't think it really denies people the right to complain about a presentation being bad though, but the software lineup is honestly very good for such an old console.
imo this was a very watchable direct, and I didn't like most of what was shown

idk maybe my expectations were low

I feel like many people expected too much because of the leaks. This is an average Switch era direct, given how old Switch is and obviously wrapping up maybe even a great one. If you are Mario fan you get a lot of cool games up until next summer.

For me personally there wasn‘t really a game for me expect for Sideorder and maybe F-Zero 99 but the show as a whole certainly was more interesting than the Farming direct(s) we had last year.

Last edited:
It was pretty good but overall is clear the next console is coming soon lol, the releases ater Mario Wonder really reminded me to the 3DS support after the Switch came out which included: remake of Superstar Saga and Bowser Inside Story, remake of FE Gaiden, reimagining of Metroid 2, the 3DS versions of Epic Yarn, Captain Toad and Wolly World, Pokémon USUM and also Mario Party The Top 100, WarioWare Gold and Mario Sports Superstars which all 3 of them had a lot of recycled content.
“There’s so many remakes like the 3DS after the switch game out” Buddy remakes have padded out this switch’s library for almost 7 years.

If this aired in 2021 or 2022 I don’t think anyone would say this lineup gives “end of life” vibes or whatever. It’s just that everybody is impatient that the switch 2 isn’t announced yet.

1 star. The only things that interested me in any way were Princess Peach Showdown and I guess the MvsDK remake.

It's increasingly obvious that Nintendo keeps interesting stuff for the successor of the Switch. We've been getting more and more remakes and remasters.

I have a hard time feeling bad about the return of F-Zero after almost two decades and the blooming communal death race experience.

Maybe this is rude, but I feel like there's a pattern that happens here where tons of folks who get extremely into the hype machine for directs then get sorely disheartened when the direct doesn't have enough of what they want.

For me, I'm pretty good at both enjoying a fair deal of hype but also moving on if the direct isn't perfect for me. Most directs are 4/5 stars for me. This was a 3. I'm cool with a number of the new announcements and a little bummed about no Metroid or fire emblem, but also I know those will come in due course.

If you've felt the sting multiple times, maybe don't get too carried away with expectations in future showcases. Or learn to balance both hype and the ability to like, move on if it's not what you wanted. Idk

Voted 4/5. Very Remake/Remaster heavy but I love remakes. Mario RPG, Thousand-Year Door, Mario Vs Donkey Kong, Another Code, are all great games to remake. Other announcements made are very cool and good! Splatoon Side Order and Peach Showtime look great. Luigi's Mansion 2 still looks funky but it is what it is. It's a good game that'll probably be better on Switch than on 3DS.

And F-Zero 99 is a great idea (that I still have yet to try). I saw a lot of shit on twitter from people basically acting like this has killed any chance of an actual F-Zero game but I feel the opposite is true. And at this point in time I'm truly not sure what they expected. A new entry is out of the question at the moment and a GX Remaster, while I would love it, is probably not the game to get people back into F-Zero because it's really fucking hard and likely not something people would wanna spend 40 dollars on. This is easily about to be the most-played F-Zero game in history. We should hope people enjoy it!

Either way, this whole Direct was reassuring because you know Nintendo is saving the good shit for Switch 2 at this point. And if this is truly the swan song for the Switch then man, what a life it's had. easily one of the best consoles of all time with one of the best game libraries anywhere, remakes and all.

So many low scores and i enjoyed it a lot. 4 stars taking in consideration it was a September Direct, wich are always underwhelming. There were a lot of highlights for me:

• Another Code
  • Mario vs Donkey Kong
  • Unicorn Overlord (fucking Vanillaware)
  • Peach Showtime! second reveal (it looks BEAUTIFUL)
  • Luigi's Mansion 2 looking greatly improved from its original reveal
  • Contra
  • F-Zero 99 (it's effin' fun, mates!)
  • Thousand Year Door remake/remaster
  • Tomb Raider Trilogy Remaster
  • New SaGa game
  • Song of Nunu
I respect all kind of opinions, but i wonder what the most critical people was expecting to see if they think this was one of the worst directs ever.

Like, i literally can't.

Only dissapointmet for me was the lack of NSO news aside of F-Zero 99, i want them to at least gives us a hint of the second wave of releases for N64 and GBA.

Either way, this whole Direct was reassuring because you know Nintendo is saving the good shit for Switch 2 at this point.

Not brigading or anything but generally I'd say: please don't set yourself up like this.

I remember we've had a few directs some years back where several people said this same thing for the direct after the first one and ended up being disappointed because it didn't really work out well that time either. Because ultimately it all comes down to preference.

In this case though... yeah, I expect them to have some bangers when releasing a new device so people might be inclined to actually buy the console.

yeah but people are acting like this is new

switch is dying, people should be grateful that software has the future it does
I think there is a nice future for these remasters to keep coming to both consoles. But who knows. This is a pretty great last year or so if you go back to prime remaster. Certainly top half of releases in the switch’s life.

2.5/5 for my tastes. Personal highlights:
  • Another Code
  • Warioware Move It
  • Princess Peach game
  • Mario RPG

A lot of the stuff outside of this I liked, but I've played recently elsewhere (Mario TTYD, LM2, Trombone Champ, Mario vs Donkey Kong), rest I wasn't interested in (Splatoon 3 DLC, Detective Pikachu 2, F-Zero 99 etc...)

It was mostly focused on RPGs, remake/remasters and Mario so if you don't like those sorts of things I can see how you wouldn't like it.

But then again I LOVED the June direct so no issues from me. That direct had literally so much for my tastes. This year is also already insanely good too.

I have a hard time feeling bad about the return of F-Zero after almost two decades and the blooming communal death race experience.
They knocked it out of the park with F-Zero 99. Literally any less effort and it would've been disappointing. 99 racer death race and everyone is on the same screen at the same time is so cool.

I picked 2 but think it’s solidly 2.5. I rounded down because they wasted time recapping games they literally announced in this direct. I’m looking beyond announcements and at pacing/format. That was unnecessary. Plus lack of other NSO stuff for classic games is a knock because it’s getting into the old Nintendo classic games release format at this point.

Besides the name, I'm very much into Unicorn Overlord. I love Vanillaware games and strategy-rpgs are my favorite, so this is a fantastic pairing. I'm honestly pretty hyped about it. Besides that, new Saga game based on Saga Scarlet Grace Ambition, Switch release of Eiyuden and a Wartales port (assuming it runs fine) was pretty decent.

There's occasionally Directs that features nothing that interests me, but this one had one game that appeals to me a ton and a few "Maybe". So even though there's no "big" announcement, I'm pretty satisfied with the direct.

Not brigading or anything but generally I'd say: please don't set yourself up like this.

I remember we've had a few directs some years back where several people said this same thing for the direct after the first one and ended up being disappointed because it didn't really work out well that time either. Because ultimately it all comes down to preference.

In this case though... yeah, I expect them to have some bangers when releasing a new device so people might be inclined to actually buy the console.
yeah of course, no one should ever go into any direct expecting everything. I'm just saying things like Prime 4, the next 3D Mario, the next 3D Zelda, the rumored DK, that's all in the Switch 2 pipeline now. At this point, aside from what is announced, nobody should really expect anything else for Switch 1.

Quiz time Fami:

What surprise game announcement or what change in the direct would make any of you bump up the score a notch?
From Nintendo - New games in any of the following series. Punch Out, Starfox, Rhythm Heaven , Elite Beat Agents , Mole Mania , Kid Icarus. If nothing new from that list, then a totally brand new Ip from them

Third parties- Uh there's a ton here but I'll keep it short New Trauma Center, Ace Attorney 7, Viewtful Joe remakes/ports, Final Fantasy Tactics Remake or new game and Skies of Arcadia remaster/remake/port whatever

I understand that my picks are very unlikely to happen, so I don't really hold much against the direct. I still think a score of 3 is really solid since I got Dave the diver, a deeper look at the Peach game, a new Vanillaware game and a pie in the sky wish of Another Code collection.

Solid 4 stars:

• Paper Mario TTYD: happy i can finally play this without having to sell on of my kidneys;
  • Eiyuden: new footage and finally a date;
  • Stray Children: really fucking hyped for this one;
  • Shiren 6: the japanese direct really delivered this time;
  • Unicorn Overlord: game of the show, god bless Vanillaware;
  • Spy x Family: goddamn i think i'm going to buy this;
  • Another Code: CING LIVES;

plus other stuff, pretty great overall.

I rated 2/5. If it were a ten point scale I'd have rated 5/10.

Third party stuff was very good as always recently. Particularly interested in Spy x Anya, Vanillaware's new game, and Stray Children from the Japanese direct. Eastward's new DLC looked beautiful as always but I'm not really interested in farming Sims so I probably won't get round to it.

First party stuff was mostly remasters and remakes. Tbh I prefer playing the original in most circumstances. The last time I was interested in something like that apart from Pokémon was to my memory Famicom Detective Club.

I'd honestly much rather Nintendo focused on improving NSO to cover emulators for everything up to Wii U/3DS (even if they didn't have all the features of earlier consoles) or better yet selling them like with VC than spending resources remaking/remastering one game at a time.

So discounting the remakes & remasters which I'm not really interested in we got a total of one newly announced game, F-zero 99, which like the other 99 games I'm really enjoying but it still isn't even a full retail game.

Other than that first-party wise we got a great new trailer for Princess Peach but as I said earlier I'm not sure why they didn't wait to announce it now especially given they didnt even have a title for the announcement. That would certainly have elevated the direct to 3 stars for me if it were new. And pretty average trailers for WarioWare and Detective Pikachu.

So for me first party which is usually the meat & bones of a general direct was disappointing.

Last edited:
There was literally nothing new to get excited about in this direct other than remakes and that Vanillaware game - almost everything else they showed was something we already knew about.

A solidly disappointing 1.5/5 stars for me.

And as a side note; Nintendo deciding to just dump about 50 remakes in the last year or so of the Switch's life is so annoying to me. Some of these games would've been so hype coming out 2-3 years ago, and now it's like "meh guess I'll add Thousand Year Door to the pile after I'm done with Mario RPG". What a strange decision it is to release these two games so close to one another.

Why not give us Galaxy 2 or something instead if they're that desperate to get another Mario game out there?

Quiz time Fami:

the FE4 remake is the only realistic thing at this point in the Switch's life that didn't show up that would have really moved the needle for me

I mean I guess there's some other minor stuff here and there that could have been nice but between Saga and TTYD it's already at a 4/5 for me so i'm talking about what it would take to move it to a 5

Just looked a bit on the September 2017 Direct. Compared to the anemic Switch content of that Direct (specially from 3rd parties), today's Direct is a 10 out of 5.

Solid 4 stars for me.
Already knew about Prince of Persia and Eiyuden Chronicle but they look great to me.

Announcements of Another Code recollection and Unicorn Overlord made the direct for me. Looking forward to those.

Also seeing Contra back in the safe hands of WayForward for run and gun is great. After Spidersaurs and Contra 4 I have no doubt they’ll deliver even if I’m not sold on the visuals.

This is the worst direct ever for me because I found the new games presented in the show uninteresting.

do you allow me to have this opinion?
There were nee games, just remakes and precisely announced ones. The highlight was the splatoon dlc.

I thought it was pretty weak, but I've had low expectations for recent directs since I've assumed the shift to Switch 2 has been happening for a while, and figured games like MP4 and the DK one may not be seen until then.

So yeah it wasn't too great, but I'm fine with that. Next year it'll pick up.

Maybe because the June one was already mario and port/remake heavy. This is the same, without the big NEW game as in Wonder, and the ultimate nostalgia bait for the US with mario RPG (and while Paper Mario works in the similar vein, its not as nostalgic, and its ... another mario rpg not to far after Mario RPG).

Unlike many fans out there, i assume that most people here already played most of the ports or remakes, making it less exciting then for say an audience thats more causal or new to nintendo as a platform or younger. But i did see negative reactions, and i AM suprized about the fami reaction
Any joking aside, I just fail to see what was so bonkers about the June direct. I get it if most of what you like from Nintendo is Mario and you're 30+ years old and have nostalgia for Super Mario RPG. Neither of those things are true for me (and even then my most liked games of that direct are Wonder and Super Mario RPG, so that should show how dry it was!)
Yeah, same about the june direct. i think 1 or 2 things where nice, but overall it was the "end of switch direct" people are talking now. for that reason i did not expect anything for this one except "spring cleaning" of the pipeline to prepare for the next console.

When the best game is a remaster...
September 2019 did the same, and I'll take Side Order and TTYD over Overwatch and XenoblaDE.

Still, this was the 2nd worst Direct of the Switch era for me. 3/5, but only because I'm fortunate to have never played Mario vs. DK, Another Code, or Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon. F-Zero 99 looks super fun to me, TTYD is one of my top 10 games of all time, and Peach looks great although performance is currently very rough.

I loved it for soft-confirming that new hardware is next year without a shadow of a doubt, though, and the implications that has for Prime 4.

That was okay. Felt like a lot of old stuff I already played, similar to other directs this year. But that's cool for folks that never got to play those games or have been waiting to play them on Switch.

Maybe I'm just less hard on it because I know the system is on its way out and they're basically just crossing their t's and dotting their i's at this point.

I give it a 3. I think September Directs have often been some of the weaker ones looking back.

The only weird thing to me is ending on TTYD. A great announcement on its own (it's seriously a really hype trailer) but it could have been announced in the February Direct next year, it would have made way more sense, especially with Mario RPG on the way. The fact that they chose this to end tells me they really had nothing better to show, so no Prime 4 for sure and the rest of the hype shit is probably Switch 2 related.

So in the end it seems to be a quirk from the fact that we're at the end of the console's life, and with that lens, it was I think really nice.

Back
Top Bottom