• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion R(h)ate the Direct (06/28 Edition) - Poll closed: this Direct was a 3,598360655737705 stars Direct according to this beautiful place

from 1 to 5 stars - R(h)ate the Direct 06/28 Edition

• 1 Star

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • 2 Stars

Votes: 22 6.0%
  • 3 Stars

Votes: 126 34.4%
  • 4 Stars

Votes: 167 45.6%
  • 5 Stars

Votes: 44 12.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
4/5 for me. Lacked the wow factor or surprise factor that elevates great Directs, but reinforced the third party dynamic that has made Switch a strong system. Yes, that includes late ports, but it also includes exclusive titles, middle tier titles, indies, and family friendly gaming (speaking as someone with zero interest in it, that Disney game looked... kinda interesting?).

Blanc, Lorelei, and Harvestella were the surprise announcements that really intrigued me. Equally, if you're looking at how this fleshed out third party support and console exclusive titles, Switch's 2022 line up is pretty strong on this front, if typically RPG heavy. Dragon Quest Treasures didn't do enough to grab me, but remains an option; Sunbreak and Sparks of Hope continue to look like 2022 highlights.

Portal, Persona, and Nier Automata feel overdue at this point, but the nature of software support on Switch has never been about the latest big budget games, and I won't quibble too much with having yet more quality legacy titles on the system.

Elevating it to a 5 would've required another new, high profile title, I think. Don't want to take Harvestella for granted, but you can count on Square Enix to bring unique RPGs to Switch. Would've been good to see another publisher front up with something, or to see Nintendo and a third party or indie collaborate on something new.

It all depends on how you want to look it.

Compared to other Partner Showcases? it was pretty good, i have 4-5 games featured in this that i'm interested and it had in general more content than previous Mini Directs.

As Nintendo's June showing, so compared to previous E3 Directs it was much worse tho with few exceptions (E3 2018 was abysmal).

I'd rate it 3.5/5.

I chose a four. It was a really strong direct, even if I'm not personally interested in the majority of the games shown off.

3/5 for me.

It was pretty solid, but not mind blowing. I’ve played basically all the ports/remasters, and I have gamepass so I’ll probably if I decide to replay Persona do it there.

I’m excited for M+R, but there isn’t a ton of new stuff coming this year that they showed to really excite me.

The highlights were 6 years old games so a solid 3/5 from me.

4/5, it had a wonderful pace and some really great (though somewhat older) titles. Knowing it was going to stay focused on third party titles helps, unlike the Twitter folk...

4 out of 5 stars. I'm just bummed that most of the stuff in there that I really really want isn't coming until 2023

A lot of good stuff is coming to the best library for current systems.

I've never understand why people mark down a direct or press conference for what wasn't shown as opposed to rating it what was ACTUALLY shown.

I think a lot of the pre-Direct speculation and rumours are to blame for this. We’ve had several leaks over the past few months and people expected these games to show up here.

Personally, to me a Direct is as good as the games shown in it. This one simply didn’t have that much for me.

I think a lot of the pre-Direct speculation and rumours are to blame for this. We’ve had several leaks over the past few months and people expected these games to show up here.

Personally, to me a Direct is as good as the games shown in it. This one simply didn’t have that much for me.
That doesn't change the question though, why are we letting leaks or rumors influence the actual event? Take a look at Pac Man Reworld Repac, regardless of if the game leaked this morning, or 6 months ago, or has been rumored for 5 years, how was it presented in this direct? I'm not a fan of roguelikes, but if Nintendo made a roguelike direct I'd watch it and judge it fairly based upon the content shown and the pacing of that content. If they nailed the presentation I'd give it a 5/5 even if I can admit "none of these are for me, but they look very good for the people who are".

4/5

I'd rather they had also brought over Replicant with Automata; also hoped for Bayo 3 news, but nothing here. A big-ish new title for me would have made this a 5/5, alas I'm only in for Nier, P3r5on4 Switch and the Square farming sim, which does look good, but not mindblowing enough to warrant a 5 star rating for the entire show. The rest was pretty middling to me.

2.5/5 probably.
A few interesting games but most of them I wouldn't want to play on Switch due to resolution/performance. I think it'd probably have been boosted to a 3.5/5 if we hadn't known that Persona was going multiplatform already, because we did it was more of a "ok, there we go" feeling from me more than one of actual excitement.

Personally I’m at a 4/5. Easily the Best Partner Direct so far. Could have been better with an exclusive big hitter reveal on the level of Rise (eg. RE)

3 stars because of no first party, also mostly just ports.
Imo it’s silly to ding a partner direct for not having first party

It was a solid 8/10 for me:
Things I'm excited about
  • Monster Hunter Rise Sunbreak
  • NieR Automata
  • Mega Man Battle Network Legacy Collection
  • Laser Eyes Annapurna game
  • Harvestella
  • Persona
  • Live A Live
  • Monkey Island
  • Mario & Rabbids
  • Dragon Quest Treasures

Solid B-, which translates to a 3/5 for me. It's hard for me to get too excited over some of the bigger announcements like NieR and Persona considering I've already played them, but they're nice to see nonetheless. A solid spread of announcements, although it was definitely lacking that patented "one last thing" we all love.

That doesn't change the question though, why are we letting leaks or rumors influence the actual event? Take a look at Pac Man Reworld Repac, regardless of if the game leaked this morning, or 6 months ago, or has been rumored for 5 years, how was it presented in this direct? I'm not a fan of roguelikes, but if Nintendo made a roguelike direct I'd watch it and judge it fairly based upon the content shown and the pacing of that content. If they nailed the presentation I'd give it a 5/5 even if I can admit "none of these are for me, but they look very good for the people who are".
I think you’re addressing two somewhat separate issues.

More generally, I don’t think it’s that unusual to watch a presentation, see that there’s little to nothing in it for you and wish they had shown at least something that was rumoured and you were actually excited about. Sure, if you watched this expecting first-party games that’s on you. But it should be fair game to judge this based on the third party games shown.

As for judging it fairly… fair according to what metric? I can recognize that it was a solid to good show and still grade it lowly due to my personal lack of interest or excitement. OP doesn’t really outline any rules here.

For a Partner Direct it was good. It's just... a Partner Direct, so the ceiling is lower.

A bit of a shame that most of the bigger announcements were, for one reason or another, fairly anticipated before the show though.

I thought it was an alright show. There was a nice balance of new IPs and sequels, and the late ports were of games people actually care about. Like 3.5/5.

Personally I’m at a 4/5. Easily the Best Partner Direct so far. Could have been better with an exclusive big hitter reveal on the level of Rise (eg. RE)

Imo it’s silly to ding a partner direct for not having first party
Nah, for me the main reason to own a Nintendo console is its killer first party exclusives. Third party stuff is fine, but I have a PC I can just play it on unless I want it portable.

Nah, for me the main reason to own a Nintendo console is its killer first party exclusives. Third party stuff is fine, but I have a PC I can just play it on unless I want it portable.
?

I didn’t say you should enjoy third party content, I said that I find it silly to ding a Partner Direct (which are defined to be comprised exclusively of third party content) for not having anything first party. It’s like attending a classical concert and saying it sucked becuase you prefer rock.

That doesn't change the question though, why are we letting leaks or rumors influence the actual event? Take a look at Pac Man Reworld Repac, regardless of if the game leaked this morning, or 6 months ago, or has been rumored for 5 years, how was it presented in this direct?
If that remake had been rumored or leaked beforehand I would have had one less “oh shit!” moment, as that was a true megaton and unexpected for me. That would impact my perceived score of the direct, which is (for me personally) heavily influenced by my emotional reaction to the show. Surprises are fun!

4,5/10.

While great games, the best games in there were all old ports that I already played.And outside of those, there weren't many games that got me excited.

?

I didn’t say you should enjoy third party content, I said that I find it silly to ding a Partner Direct (which are defined to be comprised exclusively of third party content) for not having anything first party. It’s like attending a classical concert and saying it sucked becuase you prefer rock.
I'm just rating how I felt, most of the announcements were things I knew about. Others were remaster/remakes, collections and ports of games I have already played. I feel like if there were some first party stuff or some big new third party stuff, then I would give it a higher rating. I mean a 3/5 is not failing, just meant it was ok/fine.

I'm just rating how I felt, most of the announcements were things I knew about. Others were remaster/remakes, collections and ports of games I have already played. I feel like if there were some first party stuff or some big new third party stuff, then I would give it a higher rating. I mean a 3/5 is not failing, just meant it was ok/fine.
Yep yep– not contesting your rating or feeling towards it, just disagree with your reasoning.

1-2/10 for me. Happily I had no expectations so it didn’t bother me. Sonic looked okay and I already have no man’s sky on my radar. Those were the only two games that I paid attention to.

No Bayo 3 news knocks a star off but the rest of the games were great. We finally feasting with 3 mainline Persona games on a Nintendo console!

Megaman Battle Network Collection is just a really cool announcement for me, Switch or not. I own the other MM legacy collections too and will be buying it.

Other than that, Blanc looked really nice and is apparently a Switch exclusive.

Overall for me, 3/5. Not much for me there but more than I actually expected, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

This direct didn't have much to get me excited, but that's just my personal tastes. I wouldn't call it a bad showing.

I'm excited for Monkey Island, although I'm not loving the art-style.

I'm on the fence for Live a Live and Harvestella. They both look good but I rarely finish JRPGs and I'm very picky about farming/crafting games. I'll wait for hands-on impressions for these.

A lot of the other announcements are a big deal but I've either already played them or not interested (Persona, Nier, Monster Hunter, Portal).

So overall, on a personal level... 2/5

Weeb/5

4/5 for me. Atlus and Square-Enix delivered the goods. I'm happy, but not "Boy I could use a cigarette and I don't even smoke" happy

This year, huh?

Megaman Battle Network Collection is just a really cool announcement for me, Switch or not. I own the other MM legacy collections too and will be buying it.
I'm incredibly tempted at this point to buy all of them just so I have all of "mah boy" on one shelf.

Probably a 2 for me since only Sunbreak, MMBN Collection, and the Kaiju Farm game from other Japanese version of direct was what interested me.

The two biggest announcements of the direct(Nier Automata and Persona) fell flat for me since I’ve already played Automata and don’t play multiplat games on Switch. Persona I don’t care for since I’m not interested in Atlus’s output. Cool for the people that wanted them though since people been portbegging Persona on Switch years and Automata seems like it could be a decent port.

most of what I wanted to show up did (Dragon Quest, Mario+Rabbids, Persona), and there was a huge pleasant surprise for me in Battle Network. So, I gave it a 5. This is the new gold standard for what a partner showcase can be for my tastes.

The only game in it I am interested in is a game that I am going to buy at deep discount because I am not THAT interested.
One star. As a treat.

As much as I love Nier Automata and Persona, ports of games I've already played do nothing for me. Need a real Direct.

2/5. One of those two is solely because of Battle Network

4/5 , while I'm not getting a lot of the ports it's cool for people to have all those optoins now and the megaman battle network is worth it. I actually was expecting them to show Trinity Trigger with a localization as that one is launching in september in japan, but I guess they are saving it for other time

3 out of 5. Not bad. Didn't get Mass Effect or Batman.

But Persona 5R is really good. M+ R, Portal, Sunbreak, Nier, a better looking rune factory... And the rest was also a nice adddition. I like

Nothing is perfect. But the pacing and the games that were shown were really good. I give it five stars for that.

There were a few games in there I want to get so, for me, it was pretty good. Definitely better than any of the other Partner Directs

I'd say it was a solid 3.5/5. It's definitely the best Partner Direct we've ever had, but the standards for those Directs are low enough for that to not really matter much. On its own merits, it had some solid announcements, even if most of the best ones were pretty late ports (but said late ports are very good, so it's forgivable).

I would give it a 5/5 but there wasn't a Zelda trailer so I gave it a 4/5.

Back
Top Bottom