• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Music Put the Lights on the Tree! A Place for Christmas Music

Phosphorescent Skeleton

It's a hard world for little things.
Pronouns
She/Her
I'm a weirdo who loves Christmas music and starts getting in Christmas spirit in November. Surely I'm not the only Jingle Freak around here. Let's share our favorite holiday music!

This is one of my all time faves. I like most of Sufjan Stevens' Christmas music, but living half a world away from my family, and especially with covid, nothing hit me quite like this.

You ain't celebrating Christmas in this family without some good ol' Brenda Lee!

Oh, and you MAY recognize this number:

I remember fondly working a night shift in retail, and one particularly boring shift I listened to this non-stop for 8 hours. I had no access to music and was resigned to my fate stocking holiday aisles alone, and a media display with prompts to the holiday's hottest tunes was my only source of comfort. But I didn't give a whit of care about endless Michael Buble (cool guy, met him just walking the streets once) so I just.. kept looping this. It required a manual button press every few minutes. I did so for hours while stocking shelves unattended.

It's.. it's honestly a peaceful tune, one of the most I can think of in all media and literally the only christmas song I tolerate long-term; but I have a hate-love relationship with it.

I'll be damned if after listening to it for 4 hours at like 4 in the morning, I felt a fucking misery in me the likes of which the grinch would goddamn revel in. I'm pretty sure this song kickstarted like half a decade of depression. I don't know why. I still listened to it for the remainder of my shift, because it's just a nice sounding song.

It is the quintessential holiday song for me in that it embodies both misery and pure harmony.

I was also mildly tripping balls at that time which didn't help.

Also like Coldplay's Christmas Lights:

Idk why, but I haven't heard this one in ages unless I specifically seek it out. Merry Xmas Everybody by british glam rock outfit Slade is probably a song you've never heard unless you live in the UK or adjacent countries, but it puts a huge smile on my face every time I hear it. Also, if you like bands like Cheap Trick and The Darkness, give Slade a chance, I promise you'll enjoy their stuff.

Those past few years though I've felt a bit of a disconnect from the season of merriment and if you're the person who wants a sad christmas song, then All I Want For Christmas Is New Year's Day by Hurts will hit a spot. Like most of Hurts's big hits, it's incredibly direct but I'm glad someone put the feeling of conflict about having to deal with merriment while not wanting to do anything with it in song form. And yes, I know A Long December by Counting Crows exists, but that song doesn't relate to Christmas specifically...

ABBA released a new album last week, and it features their very first Christmas recording as a group. I’m not one to listen to much Christmas music, especially outside of December, but I have found a guilty pleasure in this particular track. It’s a wonderful blend between ABBA’s vintage production and vocals, paired with childhood innocence.

I am known for always favouring songs that end up being the most disliked on albums though, so we will see how it ranks down the road.

Fantastic thread idea! I love the winter solstice holidays and it's been my favourite time of the year ever since I was a kid. Even still, there is nothing that gets me in the holiday mood quite like the probably most cynical Christmas song ever written. I don't know why, but it always gives me the shivers. Maybe some leftovers from my teenage years, IDK, but nowadays it somehow fills me with hope rather than cynicism. Can't put my finger on it exactly, but here we are.

Other than that, the Nutcracker is a must while I'm decorating my flat (nostalgia and Tchaikovsky in general being amazing).

And the local symphony's orchestral renditions of both traditional and pop seasonal songs are an absolute must, especially when I'm baking and cooking holiday foods. It doesn't feel the same without it.

Fantastic thread idea! I love the winter solstice holidays and it's been my favourite time of the year ever since I was a kid. Even still, there is nothing that gets me in the holiday mood quite like the probably most cynical Christmas song ever written. I don't know why, but it always gives me the shivers. Maybe some leftovers from my teenage years, IDK, but nowadays it somehow fills me with hope rather than cynicism. Can't put my finger on it exactly, but here we are.

Other than that, the Nutcracker is a must while I'm decorating my flat (nostalgia and Tchaikovsky in general being amazing).

And the local symphony's orchestral renditions of both traditional and pop seasonal songs are an absolute must, especially when I'm baking and cooking holiday foods. It doesn't feel the same without it.

Love Fairytale of New York despite the slur in it.

I enjoy the Sufjan Stevens Christmas album in general. Here's my favourite track:

This is stretching the definition of a Christmas music even more, but here's a Neko Case cover of a Tom Waits song I enjoy:

I enjoy the Sufjan Stevens Christmas album in general. Here's my favourite track:

This is stretching the definition of a Christmas music even more, but here's a Neko Case cover of a Tom Waits song I enjoy:

That Sufjan track still hits me like a ton of bricks, honestly this thread could all be his Christmas music

My parents have this one on some sort of CD filled with Christmas music they always play around the holiday season. For some reason it stuck in my head more than the others! With both Thanksgiving and Halloween out of the way, it's just perfect to put on once November rolls around.

The ultimate Christmas song tbh.
(As one of The Gays, I don't actually care about the slur, because it's not presented positively in the song.)

I see Slade's already been posted, so I'm honour-bound to post Wizzard:

And the best comedy song:

I think since people have the classics down, I'll post christmas-y game stuff lol

If we're going to post Christmasy game music, these come to mind:

Apex Legends had a wonderful, Christmas-y take on the main lobby theme that's probably my favorite lobby theme in the game. Just sounds so good lol

I won't start listening quite so soon, but Trans-Siberian Orchestra at this point is as much tradition as anything else I do for Christmas whenever their tour stops by in Canada.

Of course it's not this year, and admittedly it's not hard to see why, but next year I will be very excited to see them live regardless even if I have to drive across the US border.

The only Christmas album I need and listen to every year is Vince Guaraldi Trio's "A Charlie Brown Christmas". It is warming, mellow, easy background listening; happy and sad all at once. The film is worth rewatching every year, too.

On a VGM related note:

I feel bad about it but I listen to a A Christmas Gift for You From Phil Spector every year when I wrap presents.

The greatest Christmas song, however, is Things Fall Apart by the late great Cristina.

They killed a tree of 97 years
And smothered it in lights and silver tears
They all got wrecked
They laughed too loud
I started to feel queasy in the crowd
I caught a cab back to my flat
And wept a bit
And fed the cat

Back
Top Bottom