• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation PS5 Slim Coming in November - $499.99 with Disc Drive, $449.99 Digital, $79.99 Ultra BR Drive Add-on for Digital

Now, instead, they make one "base" PS5 that can be either, and can attach the disk drive at the last minute. Much cheaper, and also makes it easier to respond to demand. If more people want one kind of unit or another, they can shift manufacturing around.
I'm secretly kind of surprised they didn't do something like this from the beginning.

are there side by side images? these llok the same.

Someone posted a comparison on page 1.

So let's summarize:

-Ugly as sin
-Price increase in US (now it's in line with us EU pleb)
-Stand sold separately (which is almost mandatory)

Ok.

Because it makes them much cheaper to make and ship, while creating a new accessory.

The technology to make a classic "slim" revision this generation doesn't exist. But Slim's are lighter and smaller, which saves on shipping costs, which is the driver for making them in the first place. This gets some of that, but also unifies their manufacturing lines. Before, Sony had to make two devices, the PS5 with a disk drive, and a PS5 without a disk drive, because the motherboards and cases were different.

Now, instead, they make one "base" PS5 that can be either, and can attach the disk drive at the last minute. Much cheaper, and also makes it easier to respond to demand. If more people want one kind of unit or another, they can shift manufacturing around.

It also makes the digital addition more appealing to folks with FOMO. Short on cash, but don't want to miss out on physical editions? That's okay, instead of hoarding cash for the Big Unit, or buying one then buying another one later, just get the digital model, and buy the disk drive later. Even if folks don't actually buy the disk drive, the existence of it smoothes over folks who might be reluctant to buy the digital edition.

From the friendly article
It was a rethorical question. I know why they do it. It’s just goddamn ugly.

smwyHVX.png

i don't get this release but it makes the physical outlook more hopeful when I was expecting it to be the beginning of the end ironically.

with the price increase for the digital I feel the whole medium vs large popcorn thing is going to come into play, at the original price point it may have been a big point for some people but just $50? Far less drastic and cheaper than getting the drive by itself so why not?

honestly, I was expecting them to just offer the digital by itself with no disc bundle as most 'normal' consumers wouldn't go out and buy an extra disc accessory by itself as long as they can still play games somehow, further driving the shift

also the modularity while good from the consumer and production standpoint stilldoes allow people to get disc drives for cheap disc games which could hurt some of that sweet sweet digital cash for sony

this kinda all indicates to me that sony doesn't really want a full digital shift, at least right now

I guess the cost for all this is the ps5 looking even uglier

Check the blog. All Slim PS5s have a removable side panel and a slot for the drive to fit in. So you buy the drive, slot it into place, and install the included replacement panel to 'convert' your digital-only model to a UHD Blu-ray model.

53248858359_949d3ced6c_h.jpg

So I’m trying to wrap my head around this. But why?

Why make it modular, and removable? Seems kind of moot don't you think? “Oh yeah. I bought this new PS5 Slim, but the drive is unfortunately too big to fit in my shelf space, so gotta remove it now.“

The only other reasoning I can think of is if the drive space could be used as some secondary Mass storage device for all yur digital titles…but then why not just buy the digital version to begin with?

Realistically, I think it was to reduce manufacturing costs so the two SKUs are exactly the same with the only difference being the modular drive that can be manufactured separately.

I'm okay with the look. Really would've preferred it had they made it just a standard box, but eh. Whatever.

Price is a giant F U to everyone, but I guess that's a bullet I'll have to bite if I want a 4K capable BD player.

wait why is the stand mandatory? My brother's ps5 just stand by itself, is that bad for the console in terms of ventilation or something?

Smaller, presumably more power efficient and there's probably some cost cutting measures because of that... And the price stays the same?
lol, fuck off Sony...

The attempts to try to turn the public against physical media are so terribly transparent it’s bordering on comical. Intentionally acting like it’s some sort of difficult, clunky and hard thing to do

Like the video game equivalent of those infomercials that try way too hard to make something that everyone does easily no problem just to make whatever junk they are trying to sell to people look more appealing

clumsy-car-wash-fail.gif

Does the disk drive work with an OG digital PS5? That’s what I have but wouldn’t mind being able to play blurays and occasionally pickup a cheaper physical game.

Somehow, Sony make the PS5 uglier.

Uh, it's clearly smaller but also still big. I really don't like the overall "futurist" look of the PS5.

Silver lining, it should fit inside my entertainment unit?

(Slim)
358mm x 96mm x 216mm(width × height × depth)

(Fat)
390mm x 104mm x 260mm(width × height × depth)

260mm + cables was too big last time. Now I guess I can just wait until I feel like owning it. VIIRebirth might push me over

I have no idea why I expected this to be cheaper but I did. Joke is on me I guess. I want a PS5 so bad for DS, Spider-man 2 and my PS4 backlog but I feel I can't justify it at this price. And I want one so bad and I was waiting for the slim to bring a more sleek design and we still got a router design from 2002 😭😭😭

I'm so disappointed. Now I have to wait for a drop or a good deal. I know I sound salty and it is because I am 😞

So I’m trying to wrap my head around this. But why?

Why make it modular, and removable? Seems kind of moot don't you think? “Oh yeah. I bought this new PS5 Slim, but the drive is unfortunately too big to fit in my shelf space, so gotta remove it now.“

The only other reasoning I can think of is if the drive space could be used as some secondary Mass storage device for all yur digital titles…but then why not just buy the digital version to begin with?

Realistically, I think it was to reduce manufacturing costs so the two SKUs are exactly the same with the only difference being the modular drive that can be manufactured separately.
Think of it from a manufacturing and stocking standpoint. Now they are producing a single PS5 console that supports both retail configurations. This is potentially much cheaper than having to anticipate sales ratios and production numbers for two distinct chassis, which is the current situation. The only difference between them is the drive (conveniently produced and sold separately) and the side panel.

Silver lining, it should fit inside my entertainment unit?

(Slim)
358mm x 96mm x 216mm(width × height × depth)

(Fat)
390mm x 104mm x 260mm(width × height × depth)

260mm + cables was too big last time. Now I guess I can just wait until I feel like owning it. VIIRebirth might push me over
this is a significant difference in size. if i could swap my current unit for a new one straight up, i would. i’m not gonna do that, but it would be nice.

this is a significant difference in size. if i could swap my current unit for a new one straight up, i would. i’m not gonna do that, but it would be nice.

I agree. I get that people like to joke about it being called a Slim, but it’s literally the difference I needed from a Slim. I’d have been stubborn enough to not buy a PS5 indefinitely if they’d not shrunk it down enough to hide away in my entertainment unit.

Back
Top Bottom