• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation PS5 Slim Coming in November - $499.99 with Disc Drive, $449.99 Digital, $79.99 Ultra BR Drive Add-on for Digital

Barely Able

Yoshi
Pronouns
He/Him

Pricing:

• U.S.
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – 499.99 USD
    • PS5 Digital Edition – 449.99 USD
  • Europe
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – 549.99 EUR
    • PS5 Digital Edition – 449.99 EUR
  • U.K.
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – 479.99 GBP
    • PS5 Digital Edition – 389.99 GBP
  • Japan
    • PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – 66,980 JPY (includes tax)
    • PS5 Digital Edition – 59,980 JPY (includes tax)
If you purchase the PS5 Digital Edition, you can add the Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive for PS5 later, as it will also be sold separately for 79.99 USD | 119.99 EURO | 99.99 GBP | 11,980 JPY.

The new PS5 has been reduced in volume by more than 30%, and weight by 18% and 24% compared to the previous models.

Also has 1TB internal storage, so that’s a bump up. I’m not a tech guru, but the specs are in the link in case there is some energy savings/speed boosts.

... I own a PS5 since launch so i'm allowed to say it:

They made it uglier.

And the digital one more expensive on top.

Such a bizarre release. The digital version out of the box is more expensive than the original digital PS5, and adding the Blu ray onto it is more expensive than the original PS5 (which is less weird as accessories usually have a premium, but still ...).

I almost feel like making a slim without a disk drive misses the point. Yes, it's slim now, but it's pricey with no other benefits.

IMG-0678.gif

Waiting for some comparison pics.

Tom Henderson strikes again.

Its what was expected, not really a Slim. Die shrink to reduce plastic and costs involved.

... I own a PS5 since launch so i'm allowed to say it:

They made it uglier.

And the digital one more expensive on top.
Same price as today!
nvm: Digital goes up in USA

Last edited:
That new disc model looks like an ugly growth.

Also, they ended up raising the price of the digital sku. I'll be curious to see if the new digital model is more readily available than the OG digital model was.

So they made the system uglier and it cost more? What a bargain.

That new disc model looks like an ugly growth.

Also, they ended up raising the price of the digital sku. I'll be curious to see if the new digital model is more readily available than the OG digital model was.

Considering they removed the vertical stand and now sell it separately for $30, physical is also more expensive.

View attachment 1513

They increased the storage to 1TB at least.

View attachment 1514

You can get the drive for 120€ for your digital edition. How awesome is that /s

Edit: OP already updated
Not that I was trying to be first but wanted to get the thread going so I could ensure all the pricing and details made it in the OP and have some flexibility since I have more editing tools. I think all the big details have made it in there now.

It's nice that you can add a disc drive after the fact.

Digital looks to be more expensive now, though I'm not sure if that is more storage to compensate.

Not that I was trying to be first but wanted to get the thread going so I could ensure all the pricing and details made it in the OP and have some flexibility since I have more editing tools. I think all the big details have made it in there now.
All is good. The OP should have the most details.

I am of the suspicion that they did this refresh so they could justify the inflation price increase in the US that they have done in other territories while also saving on production costs.
That a large part of why they did this

Such a bizarre release. The digital version out of the box is more expensive than the original digital PS5, and adding the Blu ray onto it is more expensive than the original PS5 (which is less weird as accessories usually have a premium, but still ...).

I almost feel like making a slim without a disk drive misses the point. Yes, it's slim now, but it's pricey with no other benefits.
at this point you're lucky if it maintains the same price with the same parity of features.

£25 for the vertical stand is actually hilarious.

A smaller version with larger storage is nice but without seeing a comparison I have no idea how much smaller this really is. Seeing as the base PS5 is already huge I guess it downgrades it to just 'very big'?

Separate disc drive is absolutely part of the drive to train their audience and get rid of physical media by the end of the decade.

I was hoping to get a second ps5 since I move between my monitor and tv fairly often but this is just ugly.

Might just wait for a ps5 pro before getting another one, dunno.

Ugly as hell but at least it's...very slightly smaller? Was debating trying to fork over the money for a £400 deal on the current disc model since my PS4 is kaput, but it's a luxury so maybe I'll hold off to get the slim disc version later on. It's probably still not small enough to fit into my current setup anyway, so if they start discounting the old stock further I guess I'll get one of those.

Charging for the stand is sick.

I know many who will jump to digital slim just because of size. Sony knows it. They will try to make some cash out of it. And the possibility of buying a disc drive is the cherry on the top

It is weird, the rumors made this sound like it was step 1 in the beginning of the end for physical. Instead looking at this announcement, it would seem they've disincentivized people even more from buying the digital only console. It cost more to add the disc drive later then it does to just buy the physical model out the gate.

View attachment 1513

They increased the storage to 1TB at least.

View attachment 1514

You can get the drive for 120€ for your digital edition. How awesome is that /s

Edit: OP already updated

Ah.
Ah ah.
AH. AHH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

$79 = 119 € ?!

I'd rather "insert every AVGN about anus, vomit and shit jokes" than pay for this shit.

BTW, 80 dollars = 75 € in the real world.

Thank you! I was sitting here going, “Why the fuck didn’t Sony actually put the original side by side to distinguish the difference?”

EDIT: Though I’d still like to see how it stacks up against other PlayStation consoles.
you know it's funny that the ps5 being slimmed down a little, makes the disc drive bump more pronounced than the original

It's not very often a console revision is so evidently driven by a desire to reduce costs on the backend of things, but that's what this looks like to me. I genuinely think the main thing they get out of this is lower logistics costs. The fact that the DE price went up is also a sign that hardware margins are what drove this.

There's a reason this announcement is low-key, and they're not even using the Slim branding. It's not actually a big deal for the consumer and they know it.

The drive is modular? Where did you see that?
Check the blog. All Slim PS5s have a removable side panel and a slot for the drive to fit in. So you buy the drive, slot it into place, and install the included replacement panel to 'convert' your digital-only model to a UHD Blu-ray model.

53248858359_949d3ced6c_h.jpg

Why….?
It’s somehow even uglier. And it does not seem that much different to begin with.
Because it makes them much cheaper to make and ship, while creating a new accessory.

The technology to make a classic "slim" revision this generation doesn't exist. But Slim's are lighter and smaller, which saves on shipping costs, which is the driver for making them in the first place. This gets some of that, but also unifies their manufacturing lines. Before, Sony had to make two devices, the PS5 with a disk drive, and a PS5 without a disk drive, because the motherboards and cases were different.

Now, instead, they make one "base" PS5 that can be either, and can attach the disk drive at the last minute. Much cheaper, and also makes it easier to respond to demand. If more people want one kind of unit or another, they can shift manufacturing around.

It also makes the digital addition more appealing to folks with FOMO. Short on cash, but don't want to miss out on physical editions? That's okay, instead of hoarding cash for the Big Unit, or buying one then buying another one later, just get the digital model, and buy the disk drive later. Even if folks don't actually buy the disk drive, the existence of it smoothes over folks who might be reluctant to buy the digital edition.

The drive is modular? Where did you see that?
From the friendly article
If you purchase the PS5 Digital Edition, you can add the Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc Drive for PS5 later, as it will also be sold separately

you know it's funny that the ps5 being slimmed down a little, makes the disc drive bump more pronounced than the original

Really showcasing a nice bulge right there. Maybe that’s why they use the color blue to accentuate that effect…

tenor.gif

But seriously, I don’t really dislike the look because…it looks almost exactly the same as before. Never liked the look, it didn’t really dislike it either. Mostly…meh.

Back
Top Bottom