• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

PlayStation PS5 Slim Coming in November - $499.99 with Disc Drive, $449.99 Digital, $79.99 Ultra BR Drive Add-on for Digital

disc drive got a bigger bump with the revision haha. Interesting way to slightly increase the Digital in the US by $50.
I don't see the need for me to update by Disc version to the new model. Feels like this is Sony's way of cutting down manufacturing. It's really just 1 item of manufacturing the chassis, one with included Disc Drive, other with requiring to purchase separately. Just need that tray cover if anything.

Yeah, that kinda reaffirms to me that, going forward, consoles won't be getting significant price cuts anymore, like they did in past generations

Silver lining, it should fit inside my entertainment unit?

(Slim)
358mm x 96mm x 216mm(width × height × depth)

(Fat)
390mm x 104mm x 260mm(width × height × depth)

260mm + cables was too big last time. Now I guess I can just wait until I feel like owning it. VIIRebirth might push me over
Okay, that actually is a pretty significant difference in size. We won't be getting the sorta small consoles from the past but that definitely helps with fitting it in a TV table

The last time a Sony console felt worth investing in was the PS4 slim when it went on deep sale right around when the Pro came out, the value proposition has fallen well below the baseline since then and only ever continued to sink. The PS+ price bumps pushed me to exit the PlayStation ecosystem entirely and nothing they've done has made me want to look back.

I wish there was a way for the PC platform itself to throw its weight around a bit the way Sony/MS do. Can't Valve toss some cash around for timed exclusivity and marketing priority or something? We need to just let this phony perception of consoles having some special prestige status to die out already, you're literally only paying for a bit of convenience. Square-Enix being somewhat slow porting their big games to PC is literally the only thing that makes me jealous now.

I really can't convince myself to get this console when the exclusives come to PC anyways. It'll suck to have to wait for FF7 Rebirth though.

So the physical model is functionally the same but 30% lighter/smaller. (but due to negative space, thats not as good as it may sound).

Digital went up in price $50 USD, and then the drive is $80...A Stealth price increase for digital. I know inflation was high but surely the point of the revision is get costs down with a simpler/lighter build.

I would have guessed they would keep the $400 to $500 entry points, and make the drive $100 so there would be no change in entry price. Egg's on my face. This isn't too different to the leaked xbox revision which nixed the disc drive without a price decrease. Just a worst value revision in general. I wonder what the Price of a PS5 Pro would be, surely at least $600, if they are still selling the new physical model at $500? I guess there could be a price cut in a year or two.

You'd be better off buying the old digital console if you really want a digital only console. Better yet, use those good US sales to buy the old physical model now and save at least $20 each on a few in store game sales. It'll be way cheaper and you can have it without waiting.

Modern Sega Genesis CD is on the house.

EDIT: The sneaky price increase on the DE model and the silly downgrades like the inability to put the machines vertically without paying a premium are maddening, it will surely mean that the Pro model will nominally cost prohibitively expensive in other markets. 14000-16000 MXN in Mexico? Man.

And the "horizontal stand" is actually a flimsy kickstand LOL

Last edited:

Size and design matters for some , especially me as well
新型PS5 is the new slimmer ps5

getting the new PS5 digital console just in time for FFVII Rebirth and maybe FFXVI complete edition

Seems like an OK size reduction, but man this is the ugliest Playstation generation ever (in terms of hardware looks). The "paperclip" horizontal stand is hilariously low budget looking ... like wtf Sony.

Last edited:
I was really hoping they would drop the router/popped collar design.

Now it's just a smaller copy of one of the ugliest consoles ever released.

I wonder what the Price of a PS5 Pro would be, surely at least $600, if they are still selling the new physical model at $500? I guess there could be a price cut in a year or two.
I'm now expecting the pro to be $600 with no disc drive but compatible with this modular one i.e $680 if you want a physical pro.

At least in the past Sony had some sleek looking devices, those times are over.
Maybe the rumoured pro gets a redesign. The probably won't redesign the price though :(

For real, the PS5 is the first console I haven't bought since the library of games doesn't justify the price for me. That's why I'm so bumped out about the slim price. I still not like the design but it's smaller and if the price was a tad lower it could at least replace my PS4.

Speaking of Playstation, I tried to log into my ps3 to download all my digital games before the PS store gets shut down for it and they can't even get me an email to reset my password?! WTH is this?

I used to think $400 for the digital SKU was pretty crazy value at the time. But man, I so regret getting the digital PS5 model so badly. I really didn't see why the disc drive was worth the $100 premium and the decision was made easier because I had gotten rid of my PS4 and the few games I had for it years before the PS5 came out. But I sure do miss having the flexibility to buy used games. Used Playstation games usually cheaper than digital PSN sales faster. It's an even worse feeling now that there's so few Playstation games I even want to buy right away for full price anymore, unlike Nintendo who will always have me by the balls lol

$450 for the digital model is such bad value now. And even if you plan on buying the drive later, why wouldn't you just get the standard model? Talk about nickel and diming people.

Check the blog. All Slim PS5s have a removable side panel and a slot for the drive to fit in. So you buy the drive, slot it into place, and install the included replacement panel to 'convert' your digital-only model to a UHD Blu-ray model.

53248858359_949d3ced6c_h.jpg
I was actually asking if the drive was modular on the other version (the slim complete one that comes for 499,00).

I was actually asking if the drive was modular on the other version (the slim complete one that comes for 499,00).
No reason to assume otherwise, I think. It would be kind of counterintuitive to build a modular PS5 Blu-ray drive and still end up building and selling two totally distinct console chassis.

Wait, you have to buy the vertical stand yourself? That seems kinda ridiculous...
It’s Sony’s M.O this generation. Nickel and diming their fanbase at this point because they accept it. Sony legitimately has more PS5 models than it does first party exclusives at this point in the console’s lifecycle. It’s insanity.

Back
Top Bottom