• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour PS5 Pro Specs and Details Potentially Leaked – 60% Raster Uplift, 2x RT, September 2024 Reveal

Will you be picking up a ps5 pro?

• Yes

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • No

Votes: 89 66.9%
  • Not sure

Votes: 29 21.8%

• Total voters

lemonfresh

#Team2024
Pronouns
He/Him
https://wccftech.com/additional-ps5-pro-specs-and-details-potentially-leaked-rumor/

• Viola is fabbed on TSMC N4P.
  • GFX1115
  • Viola's CPU is maintaining the zen2 architecture found in the existing PS5 for compatibility, but the frequency will once again be dynamic with a peak of 4.4GHz. 64 KB of L1 cache per core, 512 KB of L2 cache per core, and 8 MB of L3 shared (4 MB per CCX).
  • Viola's die is 30WGPs when fully enabled, but it will only have 28WGPs (56 CUs) enabled for the silicon in retail PS5 Pro units.
  • Trinity is the culmination of three key technologies. Fast storage (hardware accelerated compression and decompression, already an existing key PS5 technology), accelerated ray tracing, and upscaling.
  • Architecture is RDNA3, but it's taking ray tracing improvements from RDNA4. BVH traversal will be handled by dedicated RT hardware rather than fully relying on the shaders. It will also include thread reordering to reduce data and execution divergence, something akin to Ada Lovelace SER and Intel Arc's TSU.
  • 3584 shaders, 224 TMUs, and 96 ROPs.
  • 16GB of 18 gbps GDDR6. 256-bit memory bus with 576 GB/s memory bandwidth.
  • The GPU frequency target is 2.0 GHz. This lands the dual-issue TFLOPs in the range of 28.67 TFLOPs peak (224 (TMUs) * 2 (operations, dual issue) * 2 (core clock)). 14.33 TFLOPs if we ignore the dual-issue factor.
  • 50-60% rasterization uplift over Oberon and Oberon Plus, over twice the raw RT performance.
  • XDNA2 NPU will be featured for the purpose of accelerating Sony's bespoke temporal machine learning upscaling technique. This will be one of the core focuses of the PS5 Pro, like we saw with checkboard rendering for the PS4 Pro. Temporally stable upscaled 4K output at higher than 30 FPS is the goal.
  • September 2024 reveal

I’ll probably swap mine out. PS4 Pro was a nice upgrade.

I hope it looks even more absurd and the two white plates evolve into wings or some shit.

will all be very dependant on whether it has a disc drive (it will probably have the removable one from the slim) but obv i wouldnt be surprised if they tie a pro upgrade to their digital storefront exclusively. But if we're being honest, I'm prioritising Switch 2 for next year and maybe PS5 Pro down the line

I’m still rocking a 1080p TV with no plans to upgrade it, so I’m pretty sure a PS5 Pro would be a waste for me.

It does kinda bother me that a Pro is going to come out when it feels like the PS5 hasn’t really been pushed anywhere close to its limits.

I really don't see the point of this. With PS4 and XboxOne they at least had the excuse of already kinda-underpowered at launch hardware combined with more and more people getting 4K TVs.

I really don't see the point of this. With PS4 and XboxOne they at least had the excuse of already kinda-underpowered at launch hardware combined with more and more people getting 4K TVs.
it prevents people who want "more" from going to PC. folks out there who want "Fidelity RT" mode but at 60fps and the like

I think every video game console and gaming computer should have to have it’s power usage stats along with estimated electricity costs and also environmental impact over time on the front of the box like the picture of rotting lungs on a cigarette package.

Anyway I hope people like their slightly-more-reflective surfaces

Upgrade? My ps5 is one of my least used gaming systems ever. 2024 isn't looking much better beyond Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth.

While I wouldn't be especially impressed by the increase in power I would absolutely pick it up at some point. By the time GTA 6 is out at the latest.
I'd been thinking about picking up another PS5 for my monitor anyway so getting a pro would be the solution to that.

very real chance Sony ends this generation having put out more hardware/accessories than exclusives

If we are strictly looking at PS5 games (not cross-gen), Sony has already published six games
  • Demon's Souls
  • Destruction All Stars
  • Returnal
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • The Last of Us Part 1 Remake
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2
With another six already announced.
  • Stellar Blade
  • Concord
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • Helldivers II
  • Death Stranding 2
  • Marvel's Wolverine
And that is without knowing what most of the PS Studios projects that are currently in the pipeline will be. Sony will be fine.

Well, while these new base consoles are relatively powerful when compared to what they offered last gen, they still / yet again get beaten by competent PC hardware right now.
The baseline is better this gen, but that doesn't mean these consoles don't have a lot of room for improvement already at this point in time. The CPUs were outdated at launch. Not quite as severely as with Jaguar, but they're still lacking compared to Zen 3 and 4 CPUs or even certain Zen 2 ones.

Then there are games running at internal resolutions of around 720p as well. I personally don't mind, but it certainly goes to show that there definitely is an argument to be made in favour of new hardware already.

very real chance Sony ends this generation having put out more hardware/accessories than exclusives
tenor.gif

watching Digital Foundry Weekly, they brought up Avatar's resolutions on the top end systems. 30fps is between 1296p and 1800p while 60fps is 864p and 1260p.

that later resolution range is pretty much who the PS5 Pro is for. getting that number up to 30fps mode resolution would definitely have its buyers

I'm probably going to skip a PS generation since its original inception, if the price is the rumored one
I used to go for a cheap Slim at a certain point it their product life cycle...oh well.

I'm a sucker for Raster Uplift. If switch 2 is 2025 as expected, it may be hard to say no to this.
ummm... what?

In relation to the thread topic and poll, I really don't think I will end up getting the ps5 pro. I have had a ps5 since launch and I am very low on the brand right now. I was riding high on Sony hype when ps4 launched and when I got the ps4 pro it was the peakl of my bran excitement and my enthusiasm for playstation has steadily dropped every since then....long story short... i doubt i get this...

I'm one of those people that didn't think that Sony's output was that bad from 2020-2022, even if I didn't get most of those games because they didn't interest me (and I didn't get a PS5 till 2022), but now I am starting to get annoyed lol. A PS5 Pro just seems unnecessary, even if it probably is a while away.

Then again I do this to myself, I do, and that's why it really hurts. I know that I'm going to be faced with mid and I buy it anyways. At least I got Ragnarok and Demon's Souls remake in the backlog 😔

If we are strictly looking at PS5 games (not cross-gen), Sony has already published six games
  • Demon's Souls
  • Destruction All Stars
  • Returnal
  • Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
  • The Last of Us Part 1 Remake
  • Marvel's Spider-Man 2
With another six already announced.
  • Stellar Blade
  • Concord
  • Rise of the Ronin
  • Helldivers II
  • Death Stranding 2
  • Marvel's Wolverine
And that is without knowing what most of the PS Studios projects that are currently in the pipeline will be. Sony will be fine.
I would just point out that Returnal, Ratchet&Clank, and TLOU Part 1 have since come to PC, and Helldivers 2 is launching on PC as well as PS5. By the time all of those latter six come out, I'd say there's a good chance none of those first 6 are still PS5-only. You did forget Horizon Call of the Mountain though (fair, because I think most people, including Sony, have already sorta memory-holed PSVR2), so you can add that to the list

But that's kinda what I'm getting at. To be clear, I'm not criticizing or complaining that Sony's strategy of bringing their games to PC. But imo there is just something kind of funny about seeing rumors of a PS5 Pro when the PS5 ecosystem only ever seems to have 3 or 4 true exclusives that haven't come to PC at any given time

I would just point out that Returnal, Ratchet&Clank, and TLOU Part 1 have since come to PC, and Helldivers 2 is launching on PC as well as PS5. By the time all of those latter six come out, I'd say there's a good chance none of those first 6 are still PS5-only. You did forget Horizon Call of the Mountain though (fair, because I think most people, including Sony, have already sorta memory-holed PSVR2), so you can add that to the list

But that's kinda what I'm getting at. To be clear, I'm not criticizing or complaining that Sony's strategy of bringing their games to PC. But imo there is just something kind of funny about seeing rumors of a PS5 Pro when the PS5 ecosystem only ever seems to have 3 or 4 true exclusives that haven't come to PC at any given time

I get where you are coming from. Truth is that Sony found success with the PS4 Pro and since there is a market for this kind of upgrade, it makes sense for them to do it again. Personally I don't see the need for a PS5 Pro, especially considering how slow this generation started. There was merit to upgrading the PS4 base model, but I feel like developers have barely scratched the surface with the PS5.

If this thing can run GTA VI at 60 fps, and Xbox doesn't push out new hardware that can also do it, then I'll get it.

Otherwise, Sony doesn't put out enough games themselves to warrant upgrading.

I kept kicking the can down the road on PS4 until a gently used PS4 Pro fell into my lap. I doubt I’ll luck into another console. Still, I’ve been dawdling on finally pulling the trigger on PS5. I figured I’d wait until the PS5 Pro, but the more I think about it, the less inclined I am to actually get any PS5.

Nothing about these specs or PS5’s release schedule has changed much for me. For now, I’ll continue kicking that can.

No.

I don't care for the technical side of it and going how the "slim" version is already not going to be more affordable than the launch version, I think the "Pro" will be at minimum $700-800, meaning at least 800€ because Sony says fuck you to all markets not named U S of A.

I have a very powerful pc. Rtx 4090, with an intel 13900k processor. I think so long as song as ps games continue to come to that platform within 2 or so years, I don’t really need one. But I do love new gaming hardware, so I may get one anyway lol

I bought a PS4 when the Pro hit (Red Dead 2 bundle) and can see myself doing the same for a GTA VI PS5 Pro Bundle.

In principle, I don't like these mid-gen refreshes too much because it almost feels a bit like false advertisement.
SONY then can promote flashy trailers of games that won't look like that for the majority of PS5 owners (even if there are increasingly diminishing returns).

But hey, I am selfish as well and it was easy for me to hold off buying a PS5 until now, I can wait another year.

Upgrade? My ps5 is one of my least used gaming systems ever. 2024 isn't looking much better beyond Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth.
I haven’t gotten a PS5 because of this, and the fact I’d play a lot of PS4 games on it. I’d get a Pro, but that hypothetical $599 is scary lol

This is kind of silly, but does the PS5 really need a Pro version right now? Are games already hitting the PS5's limit? Insomniac just released a AAA title that runs at dynamic 4K, with raytracing, and 60 fps. Do people want everything to run at 4K 120 fps or something?

This is kind of silly, but does the PS5 really need a Pro version right now? Are games already hitting the PS5's limit? Insomniac just released a AAA title that runs at dynamic 4K, with raytracing, and 60 fps. Do people want everything to run at 4K 120 fps or something?
"Need" certainly not but there's a market of around 10-20% of overall users who want the "fidelity" level modes at 60fps and not have to drop down to 30fps or sub 900p to get there. Spider-Man 2 looked very soft on a large 4k tv when in it's 60fps mode for instance so I played it at 40fps. Alan Wake 2 can't even hold 30fps in it's fidelity mode...

This console would appeal to people like me even at $600 because the same performance on PC would cost 2-3x that price.

Having locked 120fps modes for Warzone and Fortnite is also an appeal for competitive online players.

With the PS5 only now finally starting to break away from being a PS4 Pro Pro, this does kinda sting, won’t lie. If the PS5 had a good amount of stuff that show off just what it can do and 8KTVs were around the corner, I’d get it but, unlike with the PS4, this just feels kinda pointless. PS5 games look and run pretty damn great on 4KTVs and even the upcoming big games should still more than run fine. Plus I’ll be getting a Switch 2 next year so I’ll be holding off on any console purchases for a while

The games that begin to use some next gen power are barely rolling in now and Sony thinks an upgrade is a wise decision?
same thing happened with the ps4 although its going to be 4 years in that the pro version will launch this time instead of 3 with the ps4

when you can make a bundle with GTAVI, sure

I mean, I guess? But GTA6 is almost certain to be CPU limited so the PS5 vs PS5 Pro will largely just be "1080p>4K via FSR2" vs "1440p>4K via FSR2" which is.......... not a lot at all.

It's one of the games that will least benefit from a pro system.

I mean, I guess? But GTA6 is almost certain to be CPU limited so the PS5 vs PS5 Pro will largely just be "1080p>4K via FSR2" vs "1440p>4K via FSR2" which is.......... not a lot at all.

It's one of the games that will least benefit from a pro system.
I was more thinking from a marketing perspective for Sony rather than any potential performance boost

Got a ps5 now that I rarely play. I can’t say the last time I was floored by graphics. I’m just waiting to see what switch 2 provides. Im like 2-3 games a year max right now.

how the hell are they supposed to get 2x RT when rasterization is only 50-60% increased anyway? BVH traversal doesn't bring that big an uplift over RDNA2 vs Ampere

Back
Top Bottom