• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Project Zero / Fatal Frame: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse |ST| No Flash Photography, Please

Sumio Mondo

Lynchian
Pronouns
He/Him
Fatalframe-ST.jpg

Platforms: Nintendo Switch™/PS5™/PS4™/Xbox Series X|S/Xbox One/Steam®

Release Date: March 9th 2023 (Worldwide)

Developer: Koei Tecmo (original & remaster) / Grasshopper Manufacture (original) / Nintendo SPD (original)

Written & Directed by: Makoto Shibata (series director) / Goichi Suda AKA Suda51

Genre: Survival Horror / Mystery / Adventure

Synopsis:

Survival horror series Fatal Frame / Project Zero is back again. The fourth entry in the series.

Available for the first time outside Japan, this game has been fully remastered 15 years after its original release.

Originally released on the Nintendo Wii system, it was co-developed between Koei Tecmo & Grasshopper Manufacture alongside Nintendo SPD.

Character designs were provided by Capcom (Clover) artist Sawaki Takeyasu (Okami character/monster artist, El Shaddai director) and music was composed by Masafumi Takada (Killer7, No More Heroes, Danganronpa) & Etsuko Ichikawa (Infinite Space).

This is a standalone experience, so newcomers to the series or those who haven't played the series in a while can play this entry with no worries.

In-game movies and character models have been improved. In addition, the graphics have been improved for each platform. The rendering of shadows and the beam of the flashlight has been refined so players can experience more realistic horror.

Story:

197X.
When the protagonists were children, they visited the isolated island of 'Rogetsu Isle' to celebrate the Rogetsu Festival. In the midst of the celebrations, they suddenly disappeared but were rescued but now suffer from amnesia.

198X.
Ten years later, two of the girls that mysteriously disappeared were killed one after another. They were found with their faces covered, in a tormented state.

The game begins when the remaining girls decide to go back and visit the island again in search of their lost memories of that day and what caused these tragic events to happen, followed by the private detective who rescued them many years ago from the island, who is looking for his own answers too.

Attempt to repel encroaching ghosts, relying solely on the faint glow of a flashlight and the Camera Obscura; a camera with the ability to photograph unimaginable things.

What is the "Moonlight Syndrome"? What happened all those years ago on the island? What is the story of the inhabitants of the island? Why is there screaming coming from the halls of these abandoned buildings? Who or what caused the deaths of the two girls? Unravel the mysteries and survive.

Characters:

Ruka Minazuki

chara01.png

A 17 year old girl from Rogetsu Isle that is learning to play the piano. She has lost all memories of her life before her mysterious disappearance.

Whenever she plays the only melody she can remember, fragments of her lost memories come back to her. Beyond those memories... the house where she was born, her father, and herself...

She travels to Rogetsu Isle, ignoring her mother Sayaka's warning, in order to recover what she has lost.

Misaki Aso

chara02.png

A selfish and strong-willed 17 year old girl.

She is one of the five people who mysteriously disappeared, and a descendant of Dr. Kunihiko Aso, the creator of the Camera Obscura.

"You will return...to Rogetsu Isle..."
Guided by the words of a girl dressed in black reflected in a mirror, she heads to Rogetsu Isle with Madoka.

Madoka Tsukimori

chara03.png

A timid 17 year old girl who tends to do what Misaki says.

She is worried about the change in Misaki's behavior after Tomoe Nanamura and Marie Shinomiya died one after the other.

Choshiro Kirishima

chara04.png

A private detective.

When he worked with the police, he tracked down Yo Haibara, a suspect in a series of murders. When he traveled to Rogetsu Isle, he encountered the case of mysterious disappearings and found the girls.

At the request of Sayaka, with whom he had become acquainted through this incident, he sets off for Rogetsu Isle to track down Ruka.

Sayaka Minazuki

chara-thm05.jpg

Ruka's mother. Former last name is Yomotsuki. She is very weak and bedridden most of the time. Befriends Choshiro and asks him to look for her daughter who has gone missing again.

Soya Yomotsuki

chara-thm06.jpg

Father of Ruka and ex-husband of Sayaka. He is a mask-maker who makes masks for the Rogetsu Kagura, a festival to comfort the dead.

He is pursuing the path of making masks, and was a strict father to Ruka when she was a child. He is obsessed with perfecting the "Mask of the Lunar Eclipse", the ultimate mask made by his ancestor, Soetsu.

Shigeto Haibara

chara-thm08.jpg

Director of the Haibara Infirmary and an economically powerful man of Rogetsu Isle. He is also the head of the island and the priest in charge of the Rogetsu Kagura.

He has a soft spot for his son Yo, and has granted his wish to have a hospital on the mainland.

Yo Haibara

chara-thm07.jpg

The son of Shigeto Haibara. A slender man with cold eyes that seem to see through everything.

He is a native of Rogetsu Isle, and established the Haibara Clinic in Tokyo.

He is wanted for a human experiment that turned into murder at his clinic. Choshiro Kirishima, the detective who was in charge of the case, is after him.

Girl dressed in black

chara-thm09.jpg

A girl dressed in black who is visible only to Misaki Aso.

She often appears in front of Misaki and asks her if she has forgotten about her.

Ayako

chara-thm10.jpg

A girl with Moonlight Syndrome.

She was admitted to the Haibara Infirmary by Shigeto Haibara, the director of the infirmary.

She has a very brutal personality and troubles the nurses with her over-the-top pranks, such as hurting others with a knife and playing hide and seek.

Exploring Rogetsu Island

Explore the dimly lit Western-style mansions and abandoned hospitals on the island by relying on the moonlight and the faint glow of a flashlight.

The story progresses by 'touching' places that may capture your attention. From past newspaper articles to notes, you will discover mysteries about the past in which abominable incidents occured. Unravel the lost memories of the protagonist and find the truth. Watch out for ghost hands!

sys-1-01.jpg

Camera Obscura

An old camera with the ability to repel vengeful ghosts and seal away their power by photographing them. Equip stronger lenses and change out different films to capture even more powerful photos.

Reveal things that cannot be seen to find clues that will help in discovery of lost things.

sys-2-03.jpg

sys-2-02.jpg

Spirit Torch

Depending on the protagonist, you can use a spirit torch instead of a camera obscura.

A spirit torch is a machine that uses moonlight stored in a spirit stone to subdue spirits. It captures the spirit within its illumination range and radiates moonlight to inflict damage.

sys-5-01.jpg

New Photo Mode

Pose characters and ghosts, and place them freely for haunting memories in the newly added photo mode.

Perhaps even take an unexpected spirit photo by accident…

sys-3-01.jpg

Trailers & Preview:

Screens:

news3.jpg

stage01.jpg

stage02.jpg

stage04.jpg

stage05.jpg

stage06.jpg

stage07.jpg

Fatal-Frame-Mask-of-the-Lunar-Eclipse-06.jpg

sys-1-04.jpg

sys-1-02.jpg

sys-1-05.jpg

sys-1-06.jpg

Digital Deluxe Edition:
  • FATAL FRAME: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse - Base Game
  • Costumes
  • Accessories (6)
  • FATAL FRAME: Mask of the Lunar Eclipse Digital Art Book (with Original Soundtrack)
Physical release available via Play-Asia (Asia release only, rest of the world is digital only sadly)

Developer Interview (Wii version):

mainimg.jpg

Creators Voice

The Wii version had an advert show up in a game magazine:

GoNintendo Article Archive

Reviews:

Metacritic (76)
Opencritic (72)

Official Site (NA)
Official Site (EU)

Special Thanks to Koei Tecmo & TheMoon.
tumblr_ootspeet2Q1twznt5o1_540.gif

Last edited:
also for here: thumbs up for using both FF/PZ titles :)

what annoys me about the physical release, kinda like with Maiden of Black Water as well, is that they picked such a bland key art. the original was so mysterious and intriguing. now it's just a girl in skimpy clothes looking scared in some hallway :(

Wii box was SO GOOD

94065_front.jpg
f9imv1z.png

This one flew under my radar. I remember pouring over forums back in the day wanting to download the translation patch to the Wii version but not being saavy enough to get anywhere. Boy those were the days.

I think I'll pick this up sometime later in the year. @Sumio Mondo good job on the OT!

Ordered a physical copy from Play-Asia and really excited to replaying this again after many years.
Really hope that the performance is a lot better than Maiden on the Switch was. Because lord, that was just plain garbage...

Have a feeling this will fly under the radar as Fatal Frame just never seems to hit it big, but as someone who just went through all of Suda51's "Kill the Past" games a year or two ago I'm very excited to give this a try at some point just due to the fact that he wrote it.

Wonderful opening post!

Mask of the Lunar Eclipse is such a special game for me.
After the localization was canceled I gave up hope of getting to play it, then one day I found out there was an English homebrew patch; I was so excited! I got my Wii modded and imported a copy from Japan. It was lot of work to go through just to play one game, but that somehow only made me want it more.

And boy was it worth it. I was entranced by the game's eerie atmosphere, by its melancholic story, and its genuine scariness. It had such a distinct flavour all its own, and it drew me deep into its desolate and terrifying world, to the point where one night during my playthrough I felt reluctant to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night for fear of being jumped by a ghost.

To this day it remains my favourite horror game, and I'm so happy that a wider audience will finally have the chance to experience it.

I have Fatal Frame 5 on Switch but never played it. Also pre ordered this, so I guess I’ll play it first.

Wonderful opening post!

Mask of the Lunar Eclipse is such a special game for me.
After the localization was canceled I gave up hope of getting to play it, then one day I found out there was an English homebrew patch; I was so excited! I got my Wii modded and imported a copy from Japan. It was lot of work to go through just to play one game, but that somehow only made me want it more.
this was the game I homebrewed my Wii for :D
(and then I never finished it because my "I can't focus on games..." era started -.-")

No reviews for this yet?

Is coming tomorrow right?
Reviews are dropping right now.

72 on OpenCritic

Switch MC 75

PS5 MC 69

RE: Switch performance since I seen people annoyed with MOBW performance, seems like it's better this time going by one of the reviews:

As for the game’s performance, I have little to complain about, there was a bit of stuttering when I first started my adventure, but it soon smoothed itself out, and I’m yet to face any other issues.

Last edited:
and it drew me deep into its desolate and terrifying world, to the point where one night during my playthrough I felt reluctant to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night for fear of being jumped by a ghost.
Lol I had a similar experience with the Wii remake of Project Zero 2 back then.
It terrified me like no other games ever did (beyond Luigi's Mansion when I was a little kid, my first "horror" game). I had to play it during day time (and not after 5pm lmao), and with someone in the house ! Playing it while being alone in the house was a big no no lmao

Waiting on the physical copy from Play Asia since I didn’t want to settle for digital like I did with Fatal Frame 5 on Wii U. 🙇🏻‍♂️🕰️

It's definitely not a game for all tastes; it lacks the slickness or flashiness one would expect from a modern AAA release, and there's a certain roughness to its gameplay design and mechanics.
But for me, that roughness is what gives it character, much like the weighty combat of Monster Hunter or the intentionally dated graphics of a throwback title like Dusk or Shovel Knight.
Combat is meticulous and exacting rather than dynamic and fluid, the horror is more of a psychological slow burn rather than jumping out of your seat, the story is told in fragments you have to piece together for yourself rather than spelled out in epic cutscenes.
For me, it's like an uncut gem where its natural imperfection is part of its beauty.

The lack of a retail version for NA is disappointing, but as long as the game is good I don't mind getting it digitally; unfortunately my purchase will have to wait until later this year though.

The lack of a retail version for NA is disappointing, but as long as the game is good I don't mind getting it digitally; unfortunately my purchase will have to wait until later this year though.
just import the asian version. even also says fatal frame on the box. it's also just plain superior to an NA release since it doesn't have a stupid ratings logo on the cover.

These end of chapter screens tingle my Grasshopper fan sensibilities.

Quick tip: you can also use the Camera obscura to reveal hidden items in the scenario. I'm finding flashlight controls to be quite finicky so i think this is the better option.

So after about thirty minutes, a quick look, if you don’t know what you are getting into, I can understand why anyone with more modern wishes for videogame controls can be somewhat disappointed. The first combat encounters will need some getting used to.

Still, as someone who loves the whole Japanese AA type of game and loves the old survival horror type of design, it’s up my alley.

So after about thirty minutes, a quick look, if you don’t know what you are getting into, I can understand why anyone with more modern wishes for videogame controls can be somewhat disappointed. The first combat encounters will need some getting used to.

Still, as someone who loves the whole Japanese AA type of game and loves the old survival horror type of design, it’s up my alley.

Yeah if you're into PS2/GameCube era survival horror like REmake and Silent Hill 2-4, this game is an absolute treat.

Received my Asian physical copy today, so happy that after all this time, we're able to just play it without having to jump through a billion hoops.
Can't wait for the weekend and giving the game a go!

It’s definitely a Wii game. The flashlight being mapped to the right stick instead of the camera basically proves that. I’m having fun with it though.

So, I got an Asian copy of the game which comes with the pre-order outfit, but... Which country/region does it need to be to claim it? 😅

Man, the image of the doll after photographing one never stops being creepy.

Finished!

I was afraid that this would turn out to be another padded slog like 5, but instead pretty much every chapter has enough new stuff that having multiple playable characters feels actually justified this time. The story (bleak as heck even for PZ standards) also manages multiple plotlines way better than 5 did i think.

Yeah i'm really, really happy with the game.

Finished!

I was afraid that this would turn out to be another padded slog like 5, but instead pretty much every chapter has enough new stuff that having multiple playable characters feels actually justified this time. The story (bleak as heck even for PZ standards) also manages multiple plotlines way better than 5 did i think.

Yeah i'm really, really happy with the game.

It helps that it was co-written by Goichi Suda and Masahiro Yuki (who worked with Suda51 on The 25th Ward - the writer of the "Match Maker" scenario) and I think Suda and Yuki gave it all a different flare than if it was just Shibata again writing it. And I agree, it's impressive that right at the end of the game they still take you to new (and rather large) locations to explore.

Taking my time finding the dolls. Even with the room guide a couple of them are quite difficult to spot.

Pro tip: upgrade Sensitivity first!

Credits are rolling.

I will give NG+ before posting a complete review but I liked it a lot. It has a ton of jank which depending on your tolerance may be a deal breaker.

Back
Top Bottom