• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Professor Layton and The New World of Steam announced for Nintendo Switch (UPDATE: new gameplay trailer, coming in 2025)

This is a megaton announcement for me, and along with Fantasy Life 2 it's wonderful to see Level-5 back to making some real games again!

I absolutely lost my mind at this. Cracked all of my friends up, I was literally squealing.

How the fuck is this real. This should not exist. Holy fucking shit.

From the looks of it, Level-5 crawled back to Nintendo after the failings of previous years. I'm glad, because I like their games.

This came out of fucking nowhere and I'm superhappy

Probably my favorite announcement from the direct - Hopefully it's 2023.. but info was slim so maybe not

I am so freaking excited. I can’t believe they are bringing Layton back. Always been one of my most favorite series of games. I even adore the movie. Just hoping the puzzles will rock. So damn excited!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!

FUCKING FINALLY LEVEL 5!!!

LEVEL 5 IS BACK BABYYYYYYY!!!!

Now just make a good Professor Layton game. The Katrielle game is such a trash and horrible game.That game made me want to tear my eyes off. Don't be Katrielle, be Professor Layton.

So when exactly is this supposed to be coming? There wasn't even a hint of in-game footage. At this point it might release on the Switch way after the succ is already out. Also didn't the original puzzle creator die? I'll remain cautiously optimistic because I love Layton though

Really did not expect Layton to return anytime soon. My only nitpick atm is that the partner character is confirmed to be Luke, when, for all the game's faults, the actual character of Katrielle Layton was a highlight and much more colourful than Luke:

Still, optimistic.

This is a bit beyond fashionably late to the party, but welcome home, Level 5!

I hope the three(!) brand-new titles that were revealed today all prove to be the level of quality that was their signature not so far back.

I’ve been begging for Layton to return, I’m so happy. I expect it’s a ways away but that’s fine.

Is this a high budget Layton game? It sure looks so! Open world Layton, here I come (please no more slide puzzles, I suck at them).

Really did not expect Layton to return anytime soon. My only nitpick atm is that the partner character is confirmed to be Luke, when, for all the game's faults, the actual character of Katrielle Layton was a highlight and much more colourful than Luke:

Still, optimistic.

Ah, just confirmed this: it's Layton and child Luke. This image is hidden on the website:

img_secret_02.png

They hinted at a "puzzle" on the teaser site, though I'm not sure what you have to click to find this.

This was the best surprise in the Direct, easy. Have some better puzzles then Mystery Journey did and we'll be all good.

Ah, just confirmed this: it's Layton and child Luke. This image is hidden on the website:

img_secret_02.png

They hinted at a "puzzle" on the teaser site, though I'm not sure what you have to click to find this.

Ah damn, that means this is an interquel then. Was kinda hoping for some Layton family shenanigans after Katrielle's stuff refused to acknowledge Alfendi in any major way.

I wish they'd just remaster Curious Village. That's the only one I've ever played.
If you don't mind playing games on your phone there's pretty good remasters for Curious Village, Diabolical Box and Unwound Future on mobile!

Probably the best surprise of the show, since all other major announcements were already heavily rumored.

I kind of preferred them to release a collection so I could catch up before playing the sequel.

Very curious to see how they handle puzzles this time around. The DS style won't work well on console, and some more button/controller oriented puzzle design could be exactly what the franchise needs.

I kind of preferred them to release a collection so I could catch up before playing the sequel.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they ported the mobile remasters of the original trilogy to Switch before this comes out. This seems…not exactly imminent.

When Fantasy Life 2 appeared I said “okay but why not a new Layton?”
Then this happened.
I screamed so hard I woke up my family lmao, but I couldn’t contain it

If I think about it, I start to cry again

I’m expecting 2024 as the planned window for this. Could still slip into 2025, but I doubt that’s the initial target.

We barely saw anything, but it’s ultimately still just a Layton game. These aren’t exactly what I’d consider ambitious.

I’m expecting 2024 as the planned window for this. Could still slip into 2025, but I doubt that’s the initial target.

We barely saw anything, but it’s ultimately still just a Layton game. These aren’t exactly what I’d consider ambitious.
Also, the fact that they already did a teaser site… idk maybe I’m wrong but I think that 2024 is the right year (or at least what they have in mind)
I expect a full trailer in Septe

I don’t know. The fourth game had basically a whole other side game, London Life, included with it. They didn’t need to go that hard but they did.

My personal highlight (in terms of new reveals): I LOVED Layton back in the days - can't wait for it!

I love the Layton games, I love the first Fantasy Life on 3DS and the new police game also looks really interesting. But after the mediocre Katrielle Layton game, Yo-kai Watch 4 never getting a release in the West and Inazuma Eleven Switch being stuck in Limbo since forever, I refuse to get excited for anything Level-5 again, until they actually start delivering on their promises. I'm not exactly convinced they are even able to develop good games anymore. If they prove my skepticism wrong, I'll be glad to eat that crow, but until then I acknowledge the newest announcements with an "let's wait and see".

If they can get the puzzles quality to the levels of the first entries then I'm totally in. Just go back to the old roots, more puzzles, less talking.

Still, optimistic.

Katrielle at best was gonna get AA5 Apollo Justice'd. Probably best to sweep her under the rug and bring the series back to it's roots.

I liked Kat but it was the wrong approach. A better transition would've been having an adult Detective Luke and a younger Kat as his assistant.
Or have it be an older Flora as Layton's daughter alongside Luke where the player splits time between both of them. A younger Kat could still serve as the assistant character to one or both of them.

Unless there are more puzzles in the image, the quotes around puzzle is correct. You can click
Professor Layton in the image to download wallpapers for PC/smartphone/tablet.

Last edited:
Or have it be an older Flora as Layton's daughter alongside Luke where the player splits time between both of them. A younger Kat could still serve as the assistant character to one or both of them.

This would've been good too. I'd play a trilogy of that.

The intention of switching to another mysterious person claiming to be Laytons daughter was to try and set up a running mystery, but obviously it didn't pan out since the game did nothing to reverse the steep decline of the Layton series sales, which then lead to that plot either being dropped or resolved in that Japan only Anime series.

Can't believe it's been almost a decade since the last Layton game with Hershel...

I know people have been bringing up Tago's death due to the concern about the puzzles, but it doesn't look like he worked on the Ace Attorney crossover either. Mystery Journey's puzzles were likely designed the way they are intentionally. I wouldn't be surprised if that game began as mobile only before deciding on 3DS/Switch due to its structure.

Anyway, it's still concerning that Level-5 apparently has this many projects in development. We know at least that Fantasy Life is being handled by Comcept, so I guess that's some of the pressure taken off. Though there's still Inazuma Eleven, Ushiro (lol) and the probably some sort of Yo-Kai Watch title on top of what we saw this week.

Back
Top Bottom