• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Predictions Princess Peach: Showtime! - Review Prediction Thread

Predict the MC/OC score for Princess Peach: Showtime!

• 90+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 86-90

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • 81-85

Votes: 31 13.2%
  • 76-80

Votes: 90 38.5%
  • 71-75

Votes: 93 39.7%
  • 66-70

Votes: 14 6.0%
  • 65 or less

Votes: 2 0.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Truno

Koopa
Pronouns
He/Him
2x1_NSwitch_PrincessPeachShowtime_image1600w.jpg

Developer - Good-Feel
Publisher - Nintendo
Embargo - March 21st at 12:00 CET
Review scores of previous Good-Feel games:

Wario Land: Shake It! - 78 MC
Kirby's Epic Yarn - 86 MC (Wii) 79 MC (3DS)
Yoshi's Woolly World - 78 MC (Wii U) 77 MC (3DS)
Yoshi's Crafted World - 79 MC

Princess Peach: Showtime! is currently the biggest new Nintendo game slated for a 2024 release. How do you think it'll fare with reviewers?

It seems like Good-Feel has lost the "feel" since Kirby Epic Yarn (Nintendo, how have you not ported the game to Switch yet?!), and after trying the demo I think it's going to be a 6/7 game at best.

I still hope it sells well, because since TOSE's Super Princess Peach for DS we haven't had a solo princess game, and it's about time.

But I really feel sorry for Good-Feel, I think it's a studio with potential but they haven't made any really great game, neither collaborating with Nintendo nor themselves (Mameda Bakeru has been lackluster too).

I think mid-70s, maybe as high as like 82-ish if things go its way. It'll be fine but not necessarily a "can't miss" game, and both the difficulty (or rather, the lack of it) and maybe performance are probably gonna ding it review-wise

maybe a hot take (i genuinely don't know what the temperature is on Good-Feel), but I think Good-Feel is just a very 7 out of 10 kind of developer that generally seems to offer more style than substance (caveat here that I have not played Wooly World, the one game of theirs that everyone seems to agree is actually pretty good)

If Yoshi's Woolly World, the best Yoshi game since Yoshi's Island, only has a 78, I can't see this scoring any higher than 70. Good-Feel games have never been critical darlings.

I went low 70s. I'm thinking around a 73 tbh. It really depends on how shallow the game is and it seems like some parts are shallow but some are pretty decent. It's possible Nintendo weird trailer a while back has influenced my opinion too negatively lol.

I think itā€™ll be higher than people expect because itā€™ll be just the right match for the target audience and a lot of reviewers will recognize that.

Also as on challenge, there were moments in the demo and never judge till the post game

I think Woolly World is significantly underrated there, no surprise on a system and era that saw Tropical Freeze get an 84. I'm not generally hung up on review scores but these seem emblematic of shifting priorities and appreciation in gaming.

I also think Crafted World's first 1/4 or so is much weaker than the rest of the game, which is otherwise just as good as Woolly World gameplay wise, slight knock on music aside.

That all said, I was really disappointed with the Princess Peach demo. I was one of the people really hoping this was a Good-Feel game. I was reading an interview with Nintendo and PaxSofnica about the development of DK '94 (thank you @TreIII for posting this) and this quote is pertinent:

Miyamoto-san said:
Y'know, I think action games can be broken down into two main elements: one is aiming for the goal, and the other is enjoying all the various things you can do in pursuit of that goal. Above all else, I think it's especially important that simply moving the character with the controller is fun.

I was really disappointed to find the action feels much laggier than Yoshi's Woolly or Crafted World. I can see the visual comparisons to the latter game but YCW ran at a pretty smooth 60 fps and I'm not someone who normally can tell the difference much but Peach is just so slow and almost unresponsive feeling to me, especially in her default moveset. The action was simplistic in a one button way that reminded me of the design philosophy I remember reading about for Baland Wonderworld. I'm sure the tasks/challenge get more complex and the gameplay probably does too, and the presentation, music and new characters are charming for sure, but I'm really disappointed that to me the game just does not feel smooth or enjoyable to play.

Anyway, if the game still feels that way as the final product, which I think is a reasonable expectation but I would love to be wrong about, I'm guessing no higher than 80. I'm absolutely in favor of kid-friendly games, but I would much prefer a kid-friendly game that feels great to play no matter your age, like Kirby's Epic Yarn or the recent Yoshi games, or most Kirby games. Heck I thought Star Allies was a step down from the 3DS entries from what I played, but no question it felt better to me than this. I'm okay with simple, I just want it to be engaging, fun and feel enjoyable to play.

Shout-out to @VolcanicDynamo for saying all of this much more eloquently in the demo thread!

It seems like Good-Feel has lost the "feel" since Kirby Epic Yarn
If I was cynical, Iā€™d wonder if they didnā€™t lose the "good". Of course, I really like Crafted World, but Iā€™m not even sure itā€™s because I actually like to play it.

More generally and without any polemical will, I wonder why the consensus of aggregators has become an issue. Reviews are great. A quantified consensus, I see less relevance.

Optimistically, high 70s. I suspect mid 60s, though - I can see a lot of outlets going the Metro route of "game too easy and shouldn't exist".

I'll go for low to mid 70s.

I'm there day one regardless, but I think the apparent ease of the game coupled with some technical hiccups will prevent it from reaching greater heights.

Still, I hope this is the start of something for Peach and we don't need to wait another two decades for her next game. People seem to be confident it will sell well, thought I always err on the side of caution.

I don't think being easy or being aimed at kids should be something that automatically makes a game lose like 20 points if that's the premise of the game in the first place, but knowing how reviews have been lately...

I still want to be optimistic and think that variety and good visuals will take it to the low 80s, but it being even sub 75 is a real possibility even if it's good and that's a shame imo.

Btw I didn't remember Wooly World being that low. But with Crafted World being higher maybe it has a chance? Idk, at least IGN's preview(which according to leaks is the outlet that weights the most on MC) was super glowing and so were all the others I watched. I kinda think it can be higher than most of us expect.

This board is heavily overestimating how likely a sub-70 score is for any Nintendo game. The number of 1st party Switch releases that didnā€™t his positive points can be counted on one hand, and itā€™s entirely made up of Pokemon spinoffs or hyper casual games like 1-2-Switch or Brain Training.

Mid 70s to low 80s is the range here. If Nintendoā€™s crappy sports offerings can stay above 70, a quality but easy Peach game isnā€™t gonna drop under barring major technical issues.

I know its a game targeted at a younger audience, but below a 70 would be weird. Switch sports and SV were at 72, one had limited game modes and the other was struggling to run. At the very least I think it has a floor of 75, with maybe hitting 79-80.

My gut told me mid-low 70s and previews have kind of pointed me in that direction as well. I'll guess 72.

I think it'll get somewhere in 81-85. Like 83 maybe

EDIT: wow I guess I'm shooting high. I feel like critics are going to go easy on it for being for beginner gamers and having nice aesthetics and scenarios. That's my logic here. Otherwise, It'd be in the 70s.

81. The demo is fun and there's enough variety between all the different Peach... costumes? I guess? that it won't get boring. That's enough to get it a decent number of 8s and even a few 9s. IGN and GameSpot will probably give it a 7 though

I also think Crafted World's first 1/4 or so is much weaker than the rest of the game, which is otherwise just as good as Woolly World gameplay wise, slight knock on music aside.
THANK YOU

A lot of people just played the demo and said wow this sucks, but most of the levels are ridiculously good fun

demo was fun but I reckon the negatives will be, not enough content, and a bit easy

The demo had 2 levels. Anyone know how many the full game has?

I think mid-70s, maybe as high as like 82-ish if things go its way. It'll be fine but not necessarily a "can't miss" game, and both the difficulty (or rather, the lack of it) and maybe performance are probably gonna ding it review-wise

maybe a hot take (i genuinely don't know what the temperature is on Good-Feel), but I think Good-Feel is just a very 7 out of 10 kind of developer that generally seems to offer more style than substance (caveat here that I have not played Wooly World, the one game of theirs that everyone seems to agree is actually pretty good)
The secret sauce for themis too make a game out of knitting materials, not crafting materials, but knitting materials,

Wooly world is the 2nd best yoshi game and epic yarn a top 5 Kirby game everything else is mid

OP reminded me that Epic Yarn was released on 3DS lol

Also shocked Woolly World reviewed lower than Crafted World
Their games are very polished and the quality is there, but something about their level design makes them boring. Too long levels imo. I dropped both Woolly and Crafted for that reason and when I played the Peach demo, I finished the first level and quit. And it's a shame cause I really liked what I saw.

Wow, I had no idea so many of y'all were expecting this to review around or worse than Pokemon Scarlet/Violet...

I haven't played it, but is the demo that bad? I thought the preview coverage had been mostly positive.

THANK YOU

A lot of people just played the demo and said wow this sucks, but most of the levels are ridiculously good fun
After just the first five or six levels it absolutely explodes with creativity, from the safari level to the clown marionette terrors and the amazing shoji screen setpieces. The final secret boss is incredibly hard, and because the gameplay is so smooth, it feels accomplishable.

I thought Crafted World peaked in the second level, the undersea one. The ones after are nice but they never reach the heights of the second level and the game just keeps going on and on and on.

here is an interesting quesiton, which will score better, Peach or Ronin?

Apparently Ronin's previews aren't very good?

I think and I hope they were able to optimize the final game a bit compared to the demo, because some technical weaknesses, if they remained like that, would logically have a negative impact on the reception of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom