• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Prince of Persia Review thread

If you have an XBox or PC and want to play it for cheap, you can subscribe to Ubisoft+ for a month for $15 ($17 on XBox). Also gets you the 3 days early access version

As true as this is... it's something Ubisoft created themselves. It's almost astonishing how quickly Ubi discounts their software and they have trained people to wait on it.

I understand - but at the same time it’s not like this game is 5 hours long, or overpriced. It’s actually priced cheaper than a regular AAA and by all accounts seems well worth the price. And it’s not some Assassin’s Creed or Far Cry that is guaranteed good initial sales and long legs - most gamers nowadays have probably never even played a Prince of Persia game. If this bombs, this is it, they won’t go back to this type of game again. And the guy who waited to pay $15 for it 8 months down the road will be the first to complain that AAA publishers never take any risks.

I understand - but at the same time it’s not like this game is 5 hours long, or overpriced. It’s actually priced cheaper than a regular AAA and by all accounts seems well worth the price. And it’s not some Assassin’s Creed or Far Cry that is guaranteed good initial sales and long legs - most gamers nowadays have probably never even played a Prince of Persia game. If this bombs, this is it, they won’t go back to this type of game again. And the guy who waited to pay $15 for it 8 months down the road will be the first to complain that AAA publishers never take any risks.
yes, the monumental risk of…making a metroidvania in 2024. where could I possibly find another one of those?

yes, the monumental risk of…making a metroidvania in 2024. where could I possibly find another one of those?
From a AAA dev/publisher?

You're kinda just looking at Dread and the Ori games

Edit: OK I guess Shinsekai as well

As true as this is... it's something Ubisoft created themselves. It's almost astonishing how quickly Ubi discounts their software and they have trained people to wait on it.
They do those discounts on purpose. To sell more DLC. Ubisoft's main income has been from DLC for quite some time.

Gotta admit, even I fell for it. They had a big discount on Unity few months after the broken launch and I got the game... along with DLC Dead Kings at full price.

It's obvious that the Switch was a priority for this games development. The visuals and framerate are top notch, and honestly, it's a step above Dread in that respect. It's nice to see games release on Switch in 2024 that exhibit this level of polish from a third party publisher. I bought the digital deluxe version so I could get the game a few days sooner and because I want to support this type of offering from Ubisoft. They need to greenlight more projects like this.

This game made me think that Platinum Games could do a spinoff Bayonetta game with this formula. The combat and boss fights could be epic.

It's obvious that the Switch was a priority for this games development. The visuals and framerate are top notch, and honestly, it's a step above Dread in that respect. It's nice to see games release on Switch in 2024 that exhibit this level of polish from a third party publisher. I bought the digital deluxe version so I could get the game a few days sooner and because I want to support this type of offering from Ubisoft. They need to greenlight more projects like this.

This game made me think that Platinum Games could do a spinoff Bayonetta game with this formula. The combat and boss fights could be epic.
Dread wasn't 60fps?

Dread wasn't 60fps?
It was 60fps, but it had more stutters in gameplay than I have experienced in PoP so far. Plus Dread was 900p docked while PoP is 1080p. Dread also had quite a bit of aliasing, PoP has some good FXAA applied. This isn't a knock on Dread, I love that game and have over 60 hours with it. I'm just elated that Ubisoft crafted a game like this in 2024 and it deserves the praise.

It was 60fps, but it had more stutters in gameplay than I have experienced in PoP so far. Plus Dread was 900p docked while PoP is 1080p. Dread also had quite a bit of aliasing, PoP has some good FXAA applied. This isn't a knock on Dread, I love that game and have over 60 hours with it. I'm just elated that Ubisoft crafted a game like this in 2024 and it deserves the praise.
From the demo the 60fps felt less smooth than dread but it might be memory playing tricks on me.

You can see the issues already in this thread. How many variations do we have of: "Wow, this looks great, and has great reviews, and is my type of game for sure. I'll play it in a few months when it's on sale."

Will be followed in a couple years by:

"Man why doesn't Ubisoft make another 2.5D PoP game, that game was awesome. Too bad it didn't sell so good."
idk its a 2d game they shouldnt be breaking the bank for it and require 10 million copies to break even

From the demo the 60fps felt less smooth than dread but it might be memory playing tricks on me.

I agree that the demo has some judder, but I have not experienced that with the final build of the game. If you turn on airplane mode while playing the demo, the judder seems to subside, so I think there may be something going on with the game trying to connect to the Ubisoft servers. Again, Dread is amazing and runs at 60fps 99% of the time, but I feel like PoP runs at 60fps 99.5% of the time and renders at a higher resolution.

I think Dread still looks better. Don't remember stutters. PoP is great looking as well. Really shows how good games can be on Switch when it's priority for developers.

Back
Top Bottom