• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Prince of Persia Review thread

beej

Tektite
Metacritic 87 -PS5, 90 Switch

Nintendo life 9/10
Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is a slick return to the roots of this franchise that serves up clever 2.5D action wrapped up in a delightful art style and satisfying story. There's a smart balance here between old-school levels of action and challenge, moreish combat, and neat puzzles, all mixed with accessibility options and fine-tuning that open things up to newcomers and casual players. We knew Ubisoft Montpellier was a pair of safe hands and the team hasn't let us down, serving up the first must-play of 2024 in a Switch port that absolutely does the business.

Gamespot 9/10

Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown is a sea change for the long-running series, and almost as dramatic a shift as Sands of Time was when it took the classic platformer series into 3D. This new genre debut is so confident and impeccably crafted that this should simply be the identity of Prince of Persia for the foreseeable future. Nearly every part of Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown works so well, and the parts connect so seamlessly, that it feels as if the series has found its new genre home.

CogConnected 85/100

Setting aside the expectation that The Lost Crown is the next mainline Prince of Persia title will help players appreciate the game for what it is. The Lost Crown is a fun and engaging 2.5D action platformer. It borrows a number of mechanics from several years’ worth of recent Metroidvanias, but adds a few ideas and quality of life features of its own, too. Maybe best of all, it’s a game for both newcomers and Metroidvania veterans. Accept it for what it is and The Lost Crown is a solid and well-made game, with excellent mechanics, plenty of content and challenge.

Excellent scores. But also completely expected. This one has looked great from the very first trailer.

Dammit

Don't tempt me Frodo!

I'm poor currently and have my backlog from 2023 to continue with, so I'll aim to pick this up in March.

Great start! Looking forward to diving into this sometime soon - glad it seems to have delivered on how good it looked.

crosses fingers

Please take the right lessons from this release Ubisoft. Please take the right lessons from this release Ubisoft. Please take the right lessons from this release Ubisoft.

Tempting but I will wait for the Ubisoft deep discount in a few months.

Edit: Sorry if this comes off as rude or something. I meant it when I said tempting but I will remain strong and buy it at a discount.

I was really thinking this would be my 1st game completed of 2024 but instead I'm replaying Pikmin 4 lol.

I'll get this eventually. Hard to ignore that Ubisoft puts their games on sale so quickly so I may wait a bit lmao.

This is so awesome. I was honestly somewhat worried this would be one of those games that looked really good and then ended up getting like a 76 and mostly being mediocre. Definitely going to buy this sometime within the next few months!

I went from 0 hype to getting itchy with the day-one trigger finger.

I'm hearing "better than Dread" being thrown around from some reviewers 🤯

I went from 0 hype to getting itchy with the day-one trigger finger.

I'm hearing "better than Dread" being thrown around from some reviewers 🤯

Was talking to a close friend about Dread and they fell off because of the obtuse invisible wall things. Even I was annoyed at the one leading into the Lava area. “Better than Dread” isn’t going to be a very high bar for plenty of people.

The game looks excellent tho. Is this a physical release?

The demo on XBOX and Switch was really good, not sure which version to go with. Tempted to grab it physical on Switch...

Trying out the demo on Switch.... ooo, a 2.5D Metroidvania running at 60 FPS? leers at Bloodstained

Dread is the best game of all time (don’t @ me) so there’s no way PoP is better than Dread. But it looks super freaking good and I’m gonna get it day one. I’m not going to play the demo or even watch any of the reviews, cause like, I’m already sold. I’ve been sold since the reveal trailer.

crosses fingers

Please take the right lessons from this release Ubisoft. Please take the right lessons from this release Ubisoft. Please take the right lessons from this release Ubisoft.

I mean, we still have to see if the game does sell well before they can learn the right lesson.

GOOD. It doesn't feel as good to play as Metroid Dread, but it's still super tasty. Also really feeling that vintage PoP mood in the demo, it's been so long but is very welcome!

Dread is the best game of all time (don’t @ me) so there’s no way PoP is better than Dread. But it looks super freaking good and I’m gonna get it day one. I’m not going to play the demo or even watch any of the reviews, cause like, I’m already sold. I’ve been sold since the reveal trailer.
It's amazing to me that PoP can even live in the same sentence with Dread after its treatment over the past decade. We went from cancelled projects to indefinitely delayed remakes to releasing a new game that is getting compared to a bonafide masterpiece.

As soon as I found out this game was made by the team that crafted Rayman Legends, it was a day one buy for me. Legends is amazing and it sounds like this new PoP is incredible as well.

I've been anticipating the game since announcement, and playing the demo has me believing it could surpass Dread in certain aspects. I'm not getting it at launch due to lack of time but I look forward to getting it a few months down the line. Maybe the price will drop by then (Not that I mind paying full price for a banger 2D game).
so will gamers finally stop giving this game crap for no reason?
It's a $50 2D game with an afro protagonist that isn't the Prince. So no.

Didn't Ubisoft stated, that the Switch Version is NOT a port, but that it was the target platform and all other versions are just ports? So I had been surprised, if it had been not good on Switch.

I was excited from the first trailer and thought it looked like Strider 2014 complete with slide. Actually playing the demo shows it's even better. Reviews are glowing, I'm all in. Even if Ubisoft games go on sale very quickly I'm supporting the physical version with a day one buy just to add that to the tally.

Starting from the Switch version and porting up like Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair is something I wish way more devs would do. It just results in a great game for everyone.

It looks so Dread it's ridiculous. I've actually only played two PoP games. The original, and the 2008 game (I really need to play Sands of Time). It's also the first Ubi game I'll be playing since Rayman Legends.

Last edited:
this seems both well made and extremely bland presentation wise. 'fans of the genre' ass game

I love the demo. The fact you can choose Persian as language is cool, love the nods to old school PoP traps and also the weird secrets you accidentally find like getting launched by a bridge lol

You can see the issues already in this thread. How many variations do we have of: "Wow, this looks great, and has great reviews, and is my type of game for sure. I'll play it in a few months when it's on sale."

Will be followed in a couple years by:

"Man why doesn't Ubisoft make another 2.5D PoP game, that game was awesome. Too bad it didn't sell so good."

I guess I could have waited for the inevitable sale, especially since I'm budget-constrained right now due to having moved recently. But I want Prince of Persia to be back so bad that I said "screw it" and bought it at full price. Plus, I really didn't want to wait to play the game.

So now I gave you my money, Ubisoft, and you'd better give me a damn trilogy out of this.

Pretty please.

You can see the issues already in this thread. How many variations do we have of: "Wow, this looks great, and has great reviews, and is my type of game for sure. I'll play it in a few months when it's on sale."

"Man why doesn't Ubisoft make another 2.5D PoP game, that game was awesome. Too bad it didn't sell so good."

That's what happens when you devalue your product selling it at half price 2 months in...

Yeah I'm getting this one full price, it's not even at 70 bucks SMH

I had no interest in this one at all, in fact I haven't played any PoP games since the first one...But all the positive news in the last weeks are really hyping me up for it. And right now I'm just in the mood for a 2D Metroidvania...it's also coming at the right time as I'll be wrapping up Gravity Circuit in the following days...and it even has a demo. All the starts have aligned for this one :)

I guess I could have waited for the inevitable sale,... But I want Prince of Persia to be back so bad that I said "screw it" and bought it at full price.
I have never been a big PoP fan outside of admiring The Sands of Time back in the day. But I'm feeling the hype on this one and I am a big Metroid fan. I'm 50/50 on copping that physical.

Taking a spin on the PoP wiki to go over the story def helped. Its actually a pretty cool trilogy story!

Anyway I respect the quoted part as somebody who dipped, double-dipped, triple-dipped on Tactics Ogre to help will that franchise back 🙏

===

this seems both well made and extremely bland presentation wise. 'fans of the genre' ass game
I thought that too at first blush, maybe cuz of the immediate colors, but the trailer sold me.
In motion, there is a lot going on foreground and background and it just full of flourishes. Like Flourishes, everywhere.

Man, Stephen Totilo apparently clocking 7 hrs and just over a quarter thru the game, already has some strong words:
Oooh, this I like it. 2D platformers don't usually last more than 9 hours, I'll take anything over 20 gladly. Nothing's better in gaming world than some meaty action titles.

Downloading the demo now. I know everyone is reviewing positively but something isn’t jiving for me.

Yuuuuup! It was one of my peeves with posts in the other thread. There some people gave Ubisoft shit but then say that they would buy the game when it's on sale a few months later, as if that's some sort of "gotcha".

I understand money is tight and not everybody has the funds to buy every new game, but make this "sitting front row for a dollar"-shit your m.o. against big bad businesses you might as well just stop playing or at least only support indies. Gaming is after all, a business.

I can't stress enough how likeable Sargon is, for real.

As true as this is... it's something Ubisoft created themselves. It's almost astonishing how quickly Ubi discounts their software and they have trained people to wait on it.

It's almost astonishing how quickly Ubi discounts their software and they have trained people to wait on it.
YUp I already saw a mexican reviewer saying something along "It's a masterpiece, and the best part is that you can wait 2 or 3 months and it's going to be on discount"

Back
Top Bottom