• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club PREDICT: Will Waluigi ever be a playable character in a Super Smash Bros. game?

Do you think Waluigi will ever be a playable character in a Super Smash Bros. game?

• Total voters
No, but he should.

I no longer complain about the roster given how many fighters across so many series there are. For me, every character feels like a bonus at this point. However, I absolutely would have expected Waluigi to make it before Piranha Plant.

He is one of the last characters who has been requested for multiple games, he would cause a major storm of hype, and he wouldn’t have any of the copyright issues most other majorly requested characters have. I think it’s only a matter of time

He is one of the last characters who has been requested for multiple games, he would cause a major storm of hype, and he wouldn’t have any of the copyright issues most other majorly requested characters have. I think it’s only a matter of time
I wonder if we see the next game cut a huge swathe of characters from Ultimate and try to take the series "back to basics", or if we'll just see Ultimate get a next gen patch and a reprint.

I don't see us getting a new game without major cuts

not on this outhouse-at-high-tide timeline

I think we will inevitably get Waluigi in a future Smash game given new Mario characters will probably always get added. I think it’s between Waluigi and Paper Mario for the next Mario character.

I think with these characters who've been requested for so long, if it didn't happen in ultimate, it just won't happen. No waluigi, geno, isaac, etc

Quoted by: Ab
Next smash will be a reboot and its roster will be Waluigi as the only playable character, though with multiple costumes.

I feel like he's a lock for the next smash at this point. With the fanfare being so vocal that even the man himself sakurai commented on it. Thinkin geno has a real chance too now that we have rpg remake.

Same thing happened with Mega Man in 4 and Ridley and K-Roll in ultimate iirc. The fans voices DO matter!

I think with these characters who've been requested for so long, if it didn't happen in ultimate, it just won't happen. No waluigi, geno, isaac, etc
I don't see why not. Ultimate had a lot of characters, but they couldn't add everyone. Some were left out. There will be new additions in new games

Nah. If the "Mario" side of things, including DK, Yoshi and Wario, is only going to get like 1 or 2 new reps, at best, I could see Waluigi missing out again because the likes of Dixie and Geno (with SE's added permission) are deemed higher priorities to get in than him.

And meanwhile, I'm still hoping Wart/Mamu could get in as the "surprise retro" pick.

Yeah and probably next game too.

I think people overthink stuff like this.
People tend to think Sakurai plays 4D Chess with the waluigi fans more than he most likely actually does

I don't see why we could get Geno but not Waluigi.

They're both spin-off characters. And one actually shows up all the time in highly prolific games, and is popular past online Smash hovels.

I understand why other characters have been more highly prioritized, but I think we could get both of them.

No because it's funnier to keep putting him off. Not even for big requests like Geno or Paper Mario but rather insane Piranha Plant style fighters like Undo Dog from Mario Paint/Maker or the Dice Block from Mario Party.

Could someone please explain to me why there's such insistence and hype around this character? It's not that I have anything against it, or even that I have any opinion about it, but I feel like I'm missing something because I don't understand the reasons behind it.

I always felt Waluigi was invented to have more playable characters on games like Mario Golf/Tennis. I honestly think it would be a waste to add him in Smash.

Yeah, I think it's inevitable and can already happen at the base roster of the next game. There's only a handful of super requested characters now, and Waluigi would be one of the easiest to get since he wouldn't need the copyright nightmare that someone like Sora needed. He'd also bring some very cool unique sports based moveset that Sakurai would probably love to make.

Could someone please explain to me why there's such insistence and hype around this character? It's not that I have anything against it, or even that I have any opinion about it, but I feel like I'm missing something because I don't understand the reasons behind it.
I just think it’s a cult following amplified by social media, plus the death threats sent to Sakurai

I just think it’s a cult following amplified by social media, plus the death threats sent to Sakurai
Brawl in the Family may have something to do with elevating the character too. A fan base has latched onto the character, probably due to some of the mystique of him never appearing in any games outside of Mario Kart, Party and Sports titles.

I think from a marketing POV, putting in Waluigi is a good idea and it could well happen. He could be a really fun character as well.

I think there's enough of a clamour for it, yeah.

The mods which have given him a moveset based off the various Mario spinoffs are on to something IMO. He is the Mario spinoff character.

Add a Waluigi Pinball stage and we're golden.

Sure, I see it happening. He's clearly not a high priority but unless Smash goes deeper into third party characters or shrinks the roster they have to get to him sometime.

I won’t respond to a poll requiring a strict yes or no answer devoid of any context, but ultimately I don’t see it happening…at least not before Waluigi either gets his own game or becomes prominently featured in a main series game. If Waluigi was Echo-able like Daisy, then sure, I could see that happening, but that’s not the case with Waluigi. Plus Daisy debuted in a main series game, anyway, and which is a luxury that Waluigi lacks.

Voted no, but realistic answer is :

Yes, whenever Sakurai will be too old to work on Smash.

Waluigi ever being a playable character in a Smash game feels pretty likely. Next game, possibly but it depends how the game is developed (full on remake or a rebuild off of Ultimate roster). Waluigi should have been a character around the same time that Piranha Plant got in as a character in this last game. Instead he's stuck as an Assist Trophy. Has a regular appearance in all the spinoff Mario games where he's pretty much the Luigi to Wario.

We have Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Peach, Daisy, Rosalina, Bowser, Bowser Jr, Wario, Dr. Mario, and Piranha Plant from the Mario Universe. To think that Waluigi is still stuck as just an assist with mostly everyone else (besides someone like Toad or one of Bowser's other minions) getting a spot is still a bit odd.

Personally I don't care too much if he's in or not (I've never used him in any of the games he appeared in), but I think the following he has will eventually be enough for him to be a playable character.

Last edited:
He's a popular Mario character. He's playable in some of the best selling video games of all time, instantly recognizable, and prone to memes.

Smash 6 is expected to make massive cuts, but I don't see Mario Reps being cut except for Dr. Mario. (Dr. Mario is a dead franchise, as is Dragalia Lost lol)
Not only Waluigi, but Toad, Paper Mario, and Geno won't stand a chance either.

Smash 6 is expected to make massive cuts, but I don't see Mario Reps being cut except for Dr. Mario. (Dr. Mario is a dead franchise, as is Dragalia Lost lol)
Not only Waluigi, but Toad, Paper Mario, and Geno won't stand a chance either.
it's mario he can get 3 reps in the game. hell outside of paper mario I think that might be the newcomer lineup for mario next game. toad, geno and waluigi. nice little spread there, toad for the normal people, geno for the Olds and waluigi for the annoying zoomer memelords.

There is nothing “normal” about Toad
zQD52L.gif

Back
Top Bottom