• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Fun Club Predict The Legend of Zelda Movie's Needle Drops

Will the Legend of Zelda Movie has needle drops?

• Total voters

Scrawnton

T1D Gamer
Founder
Everyone knows that The Legend of Zelda has a highly praised sound track that has been evolving over thirty years; however, the same could have been said about Super Mario but that did not stop needle drops from rearing their ugly head into the Super Mario Bros. Movie.

If you do not know, a "needle drop" is when a movie drops a licensed song into a scene and they usually hit out of nowhere.

What are our thoughts on whether this will be something practiced in the Legend of Zelda Movie. Will it have needle drops? Will it not? What songs and scenes do you think they will do needle drops with?

I think the first mistake they will make is that they will decide to absolutely put needle drops in this movie and that we will get a montage of Link adventuring through Hyrule with Led Zepplin's" Immigrant Song" blasting through the speakers.

I heard there was a secret chord
That David played and it pleased the Lord
But you don't really care for music, do you?
It goes like this: the fourth, the fifth
The minor fall and the major lift
The baffled king composing Hallelujah

I hope not. Not only were they the worst part of the Mario movie, a movie that was held together solely by the IP so anything getting in the way was painful, but fantasy movies are kind of... not usually the place to randomly drop a modern licensed song into a scene? Unless the intent is to rip the viewer right out of that fantasy world. At least Mario had the excuse of taking place in vaguely modern day with a Brooklyn half of the setting.

Though, I suppose I could theoretically see the use of other fantasy scores if they're available... Zelda has used Riddle of Steel/Riders of Doom from Conan before in OoT and TP's promotion materials.

I can’t really see a Zelda movie using popular music in the soundtrack. Please and thank you compose a classic Zelda soundtrack.

That said, I like the idea of Link riding on Epona to this

i really hope not...pleaze.

What i COULD see is a new composition made for the movie with a modern pop/folk artist. (or licensed from a fresh release that would fit)
As a comparison:

AURORA - Running With The Wolves

Im not meaning exactly that style, but essentially a new song that has no baggage and works thematically in the scene. Maybe even slightly inspired by the pop song cooperation's for
pokemon in the last years.

But that's far from removed from licensing a 20-40 year old rock classic or something like that,
and i would accept it if its done with grace.

When I heard the news, I started imagining the Lost Woods theme with an electric guitar. 🤮

When I heard the news, I started imagining the Lost Woods theme with an electric guitar. 🤮

i just had to search it. i know some like such things, and a lot of skill is needed...but ...
i just find it to be gaudy trash, and not because i don't like metal. but because it does not fit. (and its kind of a klitsche production in regards to metal guitar sound)

My bet: Not only will they use Holding out for a hero again, it'll be a shot for shot recreation of the Shrek 2 scene.

Including Ganondorf singing and dancing in the exact same way as the fairy godmother, for some reason.

I don’t think this will be a comedy like Mario.
I agree with you; however, how can you make this movie and not have at least one of the following:

1. Link flying on a Cucco
2. Link throwing a Cucco
3. An army of Cucco's involved in mayhem
4. Some sort of wall break interaction where Link and a Cucco have a brief stare down before going their separate ways. Both acknowledging whats what.

A credits credits blooper reel would be a gang of cucco chasing Link out of every scene.

Zelda's Lullaby from Twilight Princess starts playing

You know Link, I am the last legend of Zelda.

Zelda's Lullaby crescendos

EVERYONE CRIES

It depends on the movie’s vibe. Mario’s an IP that can to anywhere, plus it was an animated comedy family movie.

I think Zelda could have a vibe that tries to match LOTR and/or the Witcher

LINK.
HAS COME TO TOWN.
TO SAVE.
THE PRINCESS ZELDA.

PS :
I know, it wasn't SOAD.

Thinking about it, I'd rather keep it to Zelda music and new pieces. I don't want another soundtrack of 80's songs.

They're going to use Holding out for a Hero and it's not going to be as good as Shrek 2.

I like that song, but every movie uses it now. Everyone wants to run it into the ground.

Well I predict there will be zero. That would be be pretty bad. Writing Zelda is already like 50% music cues of its own music, you would have to be a really bad director to allow anything else.

Any use of Prog Rock should be exempted from being considered a needle drop.

It'll have I Need A Hero at least in a trailer like every other video game movie.
But I think it will instead go the (non-GotG) Marvel movie route of not having them and just a fairly standard orchestral soundtrack. On a somewhat related note, I think they'll probably also go the Marvel route and mock Link's hat a couple of times and possibly even not have it.

I just now realized that the needle drop refers to when a vynil player has the needle on the vynil

I genuinely don't think they'll do them this time around.

Though if they did, the only choice would be the theme from Conan the Barbarian ala the Twilight Princess reveal:

Horse with no Name through the Gerudo Desert, Money 4 Nothing when Link gets geared up

I don’t want it

Yes, Link will rickroll the audience and we'll be wanting more. Also Zelda will rock out to either "Invincible" by Pat Benatar or "The Warrior" by Scandal

(Honestly, I'd rather they go with a score but the studio will insist on some comedy.)

Back
Top Bottom