• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler POLL: What ultimately happened at the end of Xenoblade 3? (Future Redeemed spoilers)

What happened after the events of Xenoblade 3?

• The worlds of Bionis and Alrest merged into one and they lived happily ever after.

• The worlds of Bionis and Alrest avoided annihilation and separated again.

• The worlds of Bionis and Alrest were annihilated, and Origin created a new world to house all lives.

Results are only viewable after voting.
D

Deleted member 2

There has been a lot of debate over the ending of Xenoblade Chronicles 3 about whether the two universes—namely, the "prime universe" containing Alrest aka future Earth, and the "pocket universe" created by the Conduit and administrated by Ontos—were merged back into one, or were separated again safely.

Using in-game text and cutscenes to back up your argument, how do you piece together the depicted fate of the universes?

Quoted by: Tye
Feel like the ending pretty definitively crosses out #2, and I dunno exactly how #1 would work, so I’ll go with #3. We already know it’s possible, given that Alpha tried to create a new world for the Citizens and Liberators, and we know that Origin can be influenced by emotions too.

With what's presented in the game 1 and 3 are the same thing.

3's very blunt about how the Origin versions are supposed to be seen as same as/continuations of originals, not just clones or recreations.

With what's presented in the game 1 and 3 are the same thing.

3's very blunt about how the Origin versions are supposed to be seen as same as/continuations of originals, not just clones or recreations.
In practice they’re the same, but technically they’re very different. #1 is impossible, the worlds can’t interact at all. The world would have to be recreated regardless.

Prior to Future Redeemed, I would have said 2. But with Future Redeemed, it at the very least implies that Xenoblade X and Xenosaga have been happening in the Universe of Prime Earth, which makes me think the world of Xenoblade 1 is a much smaller universe, localized to the area around the Solar System, and it’s not so much a collision of universes as a pocket Universe reintegrating into its source Universe.

None of the above; I think both worlds existed in their own pocket dimensions (including Alrest) after Klaus’s experiment, since the ending of FR shows both worlds re-entering the original universe before merging to create a new, single planet. The exact details of this new world are impossible to know at this time because the game doesn’t really give us anything more to go on than that, but I strongly believe that it will eventually tie in to becoming Mira from XCX (and by extension find its way back into a pocket dimension of sorts again), whether in whole or just in part.

Then again, the ending is abstract enough to be interpreted in a number of different ways.

I guess #1 is the closest to what happened. Though I think it's more like three worlds combined: Shulk's world, Alrest, and the data Ontos had of the original Earth.

I disagree that the worlds were combined.

According to the game, the goal of Origin was to recreate the two worlds exactly as they were.

The ending of Future Redeemed looks like it's showing us two worlds becoming one, but it's showing us the perspective of either universe — there is only their own planet.

Prior to Future Redeemed, I would have said 2. But with Future Redeemed, it at the very least implies that Xenoblade X and Xenosaga have been happening in the Universe of Prime Earth, which makes me think the world of Xenoblade 1 is a much smaller universe, localized to the area around the Solar System, and it’s not so much a collision of universes as a pocket Universe reintegrating into its source Universe.
They're definitely not directly pulling in Xenoblade X and Xenosaga like that. They're all mutually exclusive and the references in Future Redeemed aren't even attempting to resolve that. There is clearly an implication that they all exist in the same multiverse system, and that the history of Earth/humans is relatively similar between them, but in more of a parallel worlds sense. No doubt the humans who have already left in this version of Project Exodus probably have been doing some pretty Xenosaga-like things in their absence, and that could influence the future direction of the story, but these are three separate sets of events (4 if you count the subtle Xenogears reference) each happening on and around a different instance of Earth.

Last edited:
I voted 2, but it’s complicated. Origin essentially held them trapped together and the thousand years experienced in Aionios essentially happened in an instant. I think Origin did ultimately facilitate the worlds drifting apart again “harmlessly” once the party defeated Z.

Really surprised options 1 and 3 are winning considering there’s the whole scene of the parties running after each other as their worlds split apart. The worlds certainly aren’t combined in the immediate end of Xenoblade 3 even if they become linked in some way. Future Redeemed seems to show them recombining, but we have no sense how long that actually took.

Really surprised options 1 and 3 are winning considering there’s the whole scene of the parties running after each other as their worlds split apart.

It kind of feels like "the Lost people were dead the whole time" all over again

The worlds certainly aren’t combined in the immediate end of Xenoblade 3 even if they become linked in some way. Future Redeemed seems to show them recombining, but we have no sense how long that actually took.

In my opinion Future Redeemed wasn't even showing them combining, it was showing two merging worlds becoming one world in its own plane (and the other in its own other plane)

This would only be possible if the result were two unique worlds. You can't have an exact recreation of World A and World B on the same planet.

Also—what do you mean by "Origin versions"?

Initially the way I saw it was that the two universes collided and destroyed each other and Origin was constructed to recreate both universes with a link between them. However now that the DLC is out my thoughts lean similarly to what WestEgg posted. Rather then the two universes annihilating each other they simply merged back together, unfortunately the worlds of Alrest and Bionis were located in the same space so they were on a collision course. Origin was constructed to recreate the worlds after this collision and from that point on they would go their separate ways.

The worlds collide and the ensuing panic and fear of the people give rise to Z through Origin who hijacks the system and prevents it from completing its purpose and instead creates Aionios and forces the incarnations of the people from Bionis and Alrest created from the memories saved in Origin into a war-ridden stagnation that he called the "Endless Now." Noah and friends travel throughout Aionios freeing the colonies from the control of Moebius and creating bonds between the people of both worlds before confronting and defeating Z.

After that Nia and Melia restart Origin which separates the worlds and reboots everything back to when it was initially supposed to operate which is why we return to Noah's childhood on Bionis. The worlds begin to separate, but due to the emotions of the bonds Noah and friends created between the people of both worlds they are instead merged into one.

In my opinion Future Redeemed wasn't even showing them combining, it was showing two merging worlds becoming one world in its own plane (and the other in its own other plane)
Yeah that’s another good possibility. In fact on most days I’d lean towards that.

At first, this is what I thought too. But rewatching the cutscene I noticed that, when the planets are separating, one of them glows yellow and one glows blue. Then the single planet appears in green light. It's hard to read that as anything other than a combination, IMO.

I took it as being the worlds separated then a new one formed (or earth reformed) without 1/2s worlds combining but I'm not exactly sure

I think the wording is a bit confusing for 1 and 3 here, because 1 is impossible as it stands. Origin was created to begin with because the worlds can’t merge in the first place; a new world has to be created no matter what, and Bionis/Alrest will be annihilated regardless of what happens afterwards. If 1 was possible, the events of XC3 would never happen.

That’s why I voted 3, but it seems that’s not how people are interpreting it.

The final scene is a bit clumsy. The imagery suggests a merge, the lore of the game suggests a new world maybe.

Honestly, I just kind of give up.

In practice they’re the same, but technically they’re very different. #1 is impossible, the worlds can’t interact at all. The world would have to be recreated regardless.
Right, but 3's a very theme and feeling focused game so I don't think the technicalities of it should even be considered. As far as the game is concerned fusing Bionis/Alrest and remaking Bionis/Alrest after they're destroyed THEN fusing them (which is what the Future Redeem ending looks like to me) are the same thing.

This would only be possible if the result were two unique worlds. You can't have an exact recreation of World A and World B on the same planet.

Also—what do you mean by "Origin versions"?
The things Origins remade from the original universes that were destroyed in the inital fusion. Like all the Noahs aside from the intro cutscene one.

"Aionios versions" might have been a better term.

My view of the ending sequence is:
  1. The "real" Bionis and Alrest disintegrate in a matter/anti-matter reaction
  2. Origin uses the energy generated to create copies of each world that are "formatted" in compatible matter
  3. Thanks to the events of the game, the collective unconsciousness of Origin yearns to be together again hard enough to pull the copy Bionis and Alrest into an actual merge
So a combination (a merge if you will) of options 1 and 3

The things Origins remade from the original universes that were destroyed in the inital fusion. Like all the Noahs aside from the intro cutscene one.

"Aionios versions" might have been a better term.

Are those not clones or recreations?

At first, this is what I thought too. But rewatching the cutscene I noticed that, when the planets are separating, one of them glows yellow and one glows blue. Then the single planet appears in green light. It's hard to read that as anything other than a combination, IMO.

Well that goes against the text of the game, so I don't really know where to go from here.

Much like the arguments over who is who's child, sometimes the simplest answer is the most obvious.

The original ending of XC3 showed the worlds merged, hence why Noah started to hear Mio's flute. The ending of FR more overtly confirmed that ending, and then teased connections to the wider Xeno series of games.

Pragmatically if Origin enabled the two worlds to seamlessly combine, or if Origin allowed the worlds to explode and then recreate it into a new world, the end result for us is the same. There is a singular new world that has the combined worlds of XC1 & 2.

There is no reason to think the worlds didn't merge almost instantly. The cast of XC3 during their emotional goodbyes weren't sure when they'd see each other again but "promised that they would". The cast of XC3 doesn't overly remember the events of XC3 in this new world (be it created or merged), but Noah hearing and smiling at Mio's flute shows confirms for us the audience they're in the same world and will meet one day.

To circle back to what I first said, the reason I brought up the children is because XC3 and FR went almost out of it's way to confirm happy endings for virtually everyone except Melia lol with the heavily implied children. XC3 went out of it's way to say "don't worry shippers Rex made babies with all 3 of them", and went out of it's way to tease that Mio was one of those children (Nia's). FR quadrupled downed on this showing off the children of even more ships (Shulk/Fiora, Rex/Pyra, Zeke/Pandoria, Reyn/Sharla), the message is clear "everyone gets a happy ending except Melia lol . The worlds combined because that is what gives the XC3 cast the happy ending they fought for.

Well that goes against the text of the game, so I don't really know where to go from here.

Well, what's the text saying?

The Queens say Origin is designed to restore the worlds separately to their state before annihilation--but instead its paralysed by collective fear. The worlds are held together because they're terrified of that destruction.

When it gets reactivated, we see the worlds separate. And we see that the people desperately want to be together, even though they've chosen to let go. Perhaps that desire is strong enough to affect the function of Origin, in the same way they were strong enough to bring Moebius intro existence in the first place.

The final scene is a bit clumsy. The imagery suggests a merge, the lore of the game suggests a new world maybe.

Honestly, I just kind of give up.
I don't see why both have to be mutually exclusive; the worlds of Bionis and Alrest merged creating a new world.
Are those not clones or recreations?
I would say they are more incarnations since they are reborn after death and able to remember moments of their past lives through certain stimuli.
What text are you referring to?

Because I feel it's pretty blatant that the worlds merge as one in the end.

Another shot showing the worlds not merging is the party on a grassy plain as you watch two worlds separate. Noah also throws the sword of the end in the ocean to erase the sea to speed up the split. Hypothetically they could have become the next Moebius and kept the worlds merged in the same way Shulk had to choose to become a god or not.

Noah hearing the flute at the end shows he remembers Aionios, not that Mio was actually in the Xenoblade 1 world and also gives hope they’ll one day meet again.

Another shot showing the worlds not merging is the party on a grassy plain as you watch two worlds separate. Noah also throws the sword of the end in the ocean to erase the sea to speed up the split. Hypothetically they could have become the next Moebius and kept the worlds merged in the same way Shulk had to choose to become a god or not.

Noah hearing the flute at the end shows he remembers Aionios, not that Mio was actually in the Xenoblade 1 world and also gives hope they’ll one day meet again.
Mio isn't in the Xenoblade 1 world, she's in the new combined world. FR's post credit scene is about as blatant as you can get. We see the two worlds start to separate (which we saw from inside origin during the XC3 main campaign), then at the last moment they begin to glow, and then we only see one world for the rest of the post credit. The original ending was clearly meant to be ambiguous about what Noah hearing Mio's flute meant, FR went out of it's way to remove that ambiguity. FR's chapter 5/ending/post credit is only one step removed from Takahashi getting on a box with a mega phone and saying "THE WORLD'S COMBINED AND THIS UNIVERSE IS IN CANON WITH THE OTHER XENO GAMES". If the worlds were still truly separated, they would have shown that in the post credit.

Mio isn't in the Xenoblade 1 world, she's in the new combined world. FR's post credit scene is about as blatant as you can get. We see the two worlds start to separate (which we saw from inside origin during the XC3 main campaign), then at the last moment they begin to glow, and then we only see one world for the rest of the post credit. The original ending was clearly meant to be ambiguous about what Noah hearing Mio's flute meant, FR went out of it's way to remove that ambiguity. FR's chapter 5/ending/post credit is only one step removed from Takahashi getting on a box with a mega phone and saying "THE WORLD'S COMBINED AND THIS UNIVERSE IS IN CANON WITH THE OTHER XENO GAMES". If the worlds were still truly separated, they would have shown that in the post credit.
Personally I think everything we hear on the radio are just easter eggs for longtime Xeno fans that won't amount to anything for future Xenoblade games, but I agree with everything else you posted here.

This is option #1
Not according to your post:
There has been a lot of debate over the ending of Xenoblade Chronicles 3 about whether the two universes—namely, the "prime universe" containing Alrest aka future Earth, and the "pocket universe" created by the Conduit and administrated by Ontos—were merged back into one, or were separated again safely.
I’m disagreeing that Alrest was still in the “prime universe” and was actually sealed off in its own pocket universe, much like the world of the Bionis and Mechonis, based on what’s shown in FR’s ending.

Right, but 3's a very theme and feeling focused game so I don't think the technicalities of it should even be considered. As far as the game is concerned fusing Bionis/Alrest and remaking Bionis/Alrest after they're destroyed THEN fusing them (which is what the Future Redeem ending looks like to me) are the same thing.
As I said in another post, that’s kinda the problem with the poll. With that line of thinking, options 1 and 3 are effectively the same thing. A new world was created, a world that can house both Keves and Agnus. Call it a merge or a new world, it’s the same thing ultimately.

I’m not convinced that shot with the worlds getting back together in Future Redeemed isn’t sped up in any way. During the original ending, they talk about how they’ll yearn to be together again. So that could happen eventually, but for the immediate ending of Xenoblade 3 I’m not convinced that’s what happened.

Honestly, if the worlds didn’t merge and Noah only retained his memories, that’d be the darkest ending. Poor kid gets thousands of years worth of memories about war, death, and loss hoisted onto him, and he can’t even meet this person he supposedly loves. Talk about a raw deal.

Honestly, if the worlds didn’t merge and Noah only retained his memories, that’d be the darkest ending. Poor kid gets thousands of years worth of memories about war, death, and loss hoisted onto him, and he can’t even meet this person he supposedly loves. Talk about a raw deal.
He didn't retain his memories. And he spent several lifetimes with the person he loves. Regardless, yeah, the story's dark, but it's really not happening how you're framing it.

He didn't retain his memories.
I don’t think he did, but there isn’t anything definitively saying he didn’t. Just like there isn’t anything definitively saying the worlds did or did not merge. All we can do is speculate; I’m just offering my opinion on one of those possibilities, that’s all.

What you're describing is speculation based on vague imagery though

so then what do you think the text is saying? You might be full of beans but I won’t know until you spill them.

(also imagery isn’t meaningless, not that I’m saying the colour thing is gospel. and the fact that collective desire affects Origin isn’t speculation.)

Personally I think everything we hear on the radio are just easter eggs for longtime Xeno fans that won't amount to anything for future Xenoblade games, but I agree with everything else you posted here.
I think the test will be if we see Xenosaga remastered or not, and how that remaster is presented. I can imagine a scenario where a Xenosaga remaster collection is announced, and it's marketed as "another legendary story in the same universe as Xenoblade".

I’m not convinced that shot with the worlds getting back together in Future Redeemed isn’t sped up in any way. During the original ending, they talk about how they’ll yearn to be together again. So that might happen eventually, but for the immediate ending of Xenoblade 3 I’m not convinced that’s what happened.
The entire world of Aionios happens in the blink of an eye, despite hundreds/thousands of years passing. There's no reason to think that the merge also didn't happen almost simultaneously.

The only thing vague is how you can see the post credits scene of FR and think it was showing something other then the worlds combining into one in the end. This should be like trading card game rules, the text on the card (or in this case, the image of two planets about to separate, glowing, and then us only see 1 world that looks like neither of the prior two) over rides game rules (that the original plan for origin was to ensure the worlds would be recreated separately, which was already hijacked once by the will of the people creating moebius).

It's not speculation though since we know the collective fear of both worlds gave rise to Z and the regret of lifetimes of failure allowed Noah and Mio to remain in the cycle despite becoming Moebius. Origin has been shown to be highly susceptible to emotions and since a good part of the party's journey through Aionios was freeing colonies from Moebius control and uniting them it's easy to see how the desire to remain united overrode Origins original mission and allowed the worlds to successfully merge.

If it was just the broadcast, I would've agreed. But I really don't see how that final shot with the blue object falling to the new world is meant to be read as anything other than KOS-MOS falling toward the mysteriously re-appeared earth from the end of Xenosaga 3.

Though maybe not canon with Xenosaga as we know it but a slightly altered parallel version where some key players were moved around or swapped out (Grimoire replaced with Klaus for instance).

If it was just the broadcast, I would've agreed. But I really don't see how that final shot with the blue object falling to the new world is meant to be read as anything other than KOS-MOS falling toward the mysteriously re-appeared earth from the end of Xenosaga 3.

Though maybe not canon with Xenosaga as we know it but a slightly altered parallel version where some key players were moved around or swapped out (Grimoire replaced with Klaus for instance).
We can't really say it is definitely KOS-MOS when we also have speculation that it could also be the White Whale from XCX.

I think it's too presumptuous to automatically assume that the falling object is tied to any previous Xeno series. For all we know it could be a group of colonists from the old Earth coming back to the new and setting up the conflict for the next Xenoblade game.

We can't really say it is definitely KOS-MOS when we also have speculation that it could also be the White Whale from XCX.

I think it's too presumptuous to automatically assume that the falling object is tied to any previous Xeno series. For all we know it could be a group of colonists from the old Earth coming back to the new and setting up the conflict for the next Xenoblade game.
I mean sure, we can't really know. But Takahashi had to know what that image was going to suggest after throwing the Vector logo at us (and specifically making it blue).

I think we can be pretty confident that it's related to the humans that left somehow, but I think being specifically KOS-MOS is going a bit far. With the potential legal issues and the radio broadcast not even attempting to adhere to the Xenosaga timeline, I think we're looking more at an "inspired by" scenario. At most, they might use some of the unrealized plot ideas (which were largely supposed to have their own cast, anyway).

I think we can be pretty confident that it's related to the humans that left somehow, but I think being specifically KOS-MOS is going a bit far. With the potential legal issues and the radio broadcast not even attempting to adhere to the Xenosaga timeline, I think we're looking more at an "inspired by" scenario. At most, they might use some of the unrealized plot ideas (which were largely supposed to have their own cast, anyway).
Isn't Bamco in special thanks? Might indicate something about the rights issue

I disagree that the worlds were combined.

According to the game, the goal of Origin was to recreate the two worlds exactly as they were.

The ending of Future Redeemed looks like it's showing us two worlds becoming one, but it's showing us the perspective of either universe — there is only their own planet.
Oh dang, I hadn't looked at it that way, like they're occupying the same space but back into different dimensions, and we see one planet in one dimension and the other planet in the other dimension and they just look like they're in the same spot. Hadn't thought of that.

After that Nia and Melia restart Origin which separates the worlds and reboots everything back to when it was initially supposed to operate which is why we return to Noah's childhood on Bionis. The worlds begin to separate, but due to the emotions of the bonds Noah and friends created between the people of both worlds they are instead merged into one.
See this is what I was thinking, that like how people's anxiety hijacked and altered Origin's purpose to keep everything in stasis, the love people felt for each other after the events of the game (and the many cycles before it) hijacked and altered its purpose to actually create a merged world.

Oh dang good point
(Also as they were merging they temporarily formed a ∞ symbol, which we see in the irises of the Moebius, but that might not mean anything)

So a combination (a merge if you will) of options 1 and 3
an Interlink

There is a singular new world that has the combined worlds of XC1 & 2.
Aionios but round

FR went almost out of it's way to confirm happy endings for virtually everyone except Melia lol
oh hell I didn't even notice 😅
No wonder Takahashi said he wanted to give her her due in XBFC. It was an apology for her getting stiffed again in 3. 🤣

we also have speculation that it could also be the White Whale from XCX.
sup

Last edited:
Much like the arguments over who is who's child, sometimes the simplest answer is the most obvious.

The original ending of XC3 showed the worlds merged, hence why Noah started to hear Mio's flute. The ending of FR more overtly confirmed that ending, and then teased connections to the wider Xeno series of games.

Pragmatically if Origin enabled the two worlds to seamlessly combine, or if Origin allowed the worlds to explode and then recreate it into a new world, the end result for us is the same. There is a singular new world that has the combined worlds of XC1 & 2.

There is no reason to think the worlds didn't merge almost instantly. The cast of XC3 during their emotional goodbyes weren't sure when they'd see each other again but "promised that they would". The cast of XC3 doesn't overly remember the events of XC3 in this new world (be it created or merged), but Noah hearing and smiling at Mio's flute shows confirms for us the audience they're in the same world and will meet one day.

To circle back to what I first said, the reason I brought up the children is because XC3 and FR went almost out of it's way to confirm happy endings for virtually everyone except Melia lol with the heavily implied children. XC3 went out of it's way to say "don't worry shippers Rex made babies with all 3 of them", and went out of it's way to tease that Mio was one of those children (Nia's). FR quadrupled downed on this showing off the children of even more ships (Shulk/Fiora, Rex/Pyra, Zeke/Pandoria, Reyn/Sharla), the message is clear "everyone gets a happy ending except Melia lol . The worlds combined because that is what gives the XC3 cast the happy ending they fought for.

there's also the lyrics from the ending theme in the base game since nobody has mentioned that yet(which i'll note was written by Takahashi)

Isn't Bamco in special thanks? Might indicate something about the rights issue
That's sort of my point. Even just the logo that they did include required a Bandai Namco credit. I don't think they want Xenoblade to become too entangled with rights issues over Xenosaga stuff.

Back
Top Bottom