• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Politics Police and Prison Abolition resource thread

Pronouns
She/Her
“Your Honor, years ago I recognized my kinship with all living beings, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on earth. I said then, and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it, and while there is a criminal element I am of it, and while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” -Eugene Victor Debs: Statement to the Court Upon Being Convicted of Violating the Sedition Act | September 18, 1918

This thread is a resource for my fellow anarchists, communists, and even pinko liberals, to discuss and share resources about both the brutality inherent in police and prisons and to think of other, alternative systems of community power and accountability. From Oscar Grant to Eric Garner, the police have an indefensible amount of power to take our lives and face no accountability. The lives they take are disproportionately Black, disabled, or from other marginalized groups. The reason for this is not a lack of training but rather they are working as intended. The police do not exist to serve or protect you or I but to protect property and control designated “unruly” populations.

So, what is to be done? The naïve answer is more training and reforms such as citizen accountability boards which are a good stop gap for the time being. But ultimately, there is no justice in a world with prisons and police. Prison, rather than protecting us from violence, is itself both a threat and an act of violence unto itself. Police, by virtue of their power, are consistently able to dodge both monitoring and accountability. Prosecutors have strong incentives to treat officers with kid gloves. They are officials whose elections depend on the participation and endorsements of police unions. Their ability to function at their jobs requires the cooperation of police officers.

The answer is to rethink our core assumption that we even need police and prison. The liberal or conservative might scoff at this very notion. If we were to release all the inmates at once and fire all the officers there would be chaos they would say, that is undoubtedly true. That is why no one is advocating for pulling the plug right away, all at once, within the system of order and power that we have right this second. Instead, I would advocate for the replacement of criminogenic features of society: the criminalization of drug possession, homelessness and poverty, hunger, the presumption that people must work to eat, must work to earn the right to work, with a broader change. We don’t have to wait for a revolution like waiting for a messiah, the basic tools exist now.

What I am talking about is building alternative power structures that exist as alternatives to police. Worker owned cooperatives and unions are a good place to begin with organization. An even simpler area to start with, if the police are not necessary to handle a situation. Do not call them. You do not need to call the police because a houseless individual is sleeping on the sidewalk. You do not need to call the police because black people are enjoying the pool and having an outdoor picnic. Narrowly focused mediators can handle most other forms of disorder and conflict. These are but some ideas. That is a great start to reducing the majority of crime.

Vanishingly few people are like Ted Bundy or Jeffrey Dahmer and there is little evidence that police protect you from folks like that. In fact, the Supreme Court has held that the police have no obligation to protect you: See “Willie Hortonism” in the links below. A forgotten category of offender is created entirely by the criminal justice system itself, the poor person who gets bogged down in municipal fines and a cycle of failures to appear, sometimes for private debts to debt collectors. Their crime is an artifact of their poverty.

Point is, the current way of doing things cannot continue. The practice of torturing people by stuffing them inside a box for years on end, oftentimes tacitly allowing offenders to experience sexual and other forms of violence, then releasing them onto the street as pariahs with no job prospects, disqualified from public housing and other assistance, and giving them no valid path forward. That is not going to make them or anyone else better. Right now, during this global epidemic, jails and immigrant detention centers are epicenters of disease. The indifference and silence to the mass graves this will result in is deafening.

Inmates' lives matter. There is only one bad day separating you and a prison inmate, be it a lost temper, a cycle of out of control fines, or a set of false allegations. As Foucault’s writings teach us, the methods of social control developed for use on inmates do not stay in prison. Like in the quote above, while there is a soul still in prison none of us are free.

A thoughtful and persuasive TED Talk about a world without police. Great for starting the discussion.

This story shows that even good cops, are up against a systemic bureaucracy that is inherently corrupt, has corrupt incentives, and whose fundamental purpose it to protect property rights over people’s rights.

Citations Needed has had number of wonderful episodes about the media’s role in protecting and propagandizing for the police because of their default setting of white supremacy.

You’re Wrong About has had some good episodes about the problems with holding the wealthy accountable even as we live in a supposed tough on crime country.

Why No One Went To Jail for the Financial Crash

Gangs

Victim’s Rights Movement

Philosophy Tube has also had a number of great videos reflecting on the carceral sta

Foucault: Crime, Police, & Pow

Foucault 2: Government Surveillance & Pris

Should People in Prison have a Right to Vot

Racism, Law, & Politics (Race Part

Islamophobia, Racism, & Feminism (Race Part

Adam Ruins Everything

Prison (paywalled but worth it)

Abolition means not just the closing of prisons but the presence, instead, of vital systems of support that many communities lack. Instead of asking how, in a future without prisons, we will deal with so-called violent people, abolitionists ask how we resolve inequalities and get people the resources they need long before the hypothetical moment when, as Gilmore puts it, they “mess up.”

Gilmore has come to understand that there are certain narratives people cling to that are not only false but that allow for policy positions aimed at minor or misdirected — rather than fundamental and meaningful — reforms. Gilmore takes apart these narratives: that a significant number of people are in prison for nonviolent drug convictions; that prison is a modified continuation of slavery, and, by extension, that most everyone in prison is black; and, as she explained in Chicago, that corporate profit motive is the primary engine of incarceration.

For Gilmore, and for a growing number of scholars and activists, the idea that prisons are filled with nonviolent offenders is particularly problematic. Less than one in five nationally are in prisons or jail for drug offenses, but this notion proliferated in the wake of the overwhelming popularity of Michelle Alexander’s “The New Jim Crow,” which focuses on the devastating effects of the war on drugs, cases that are primarily handled by the (relatively small) federal prison system. It’s easy to feel outrage about draconian laws that punish nonviolent drug offenders, and about racial bias, each of which Alexander catalogs in a riveting and persuasive manner. But a majority of people in state and federal prisons have been convicted of what are defined as violent offenses, which can include everything from possession of a gun to murder. This statistical reality can be uncomfortable for some people, but instead of grappling with it, many focus on the “relatively innocent,” as Gilmore calls them, the addicts or the falsely accused — never mind that they can only ever represent a small percentage of those in prison. When I asked Michelle Alexander about this, she responded: “I think the failure of some academics like myself to squarely respond to the question of violence in our work has created a situation in which it almost seems like we’re approving of mass incarceration for violent people. Those of us who are committed to ending the system of mass criminalization have to begin talking more about violence. Not only the harm it causes, but the fact that building more cages will never solve it.”

But in the United States, it’s difficult for people to talk about prison without assuming there is a population that must stay there. “When people are looking for the relative innocence line,” Gilmore told me, “in order to show how sad it is that the relatively innocent are being subjected to the forces of state-organized violence as though they were criminals, they are missing something that they could see. It isn’t that hard. They could be asking whether people who have been criminalized should be subjected to the forces of organized violence. They could ask if we need organized violence.”

Last edited:
Where can I locate any protest movement or ways to make show support of abolishing the current prison system and reforming our police?

I want to push for the requirement of four years in college to become a cop and to offset a lot of the responsibilities of officers to other train professionals to take care of serious situations: like dealing with a suicidal person, calming down someone who is having a meltdown, or that one meme I see on social media of the naked and greased up person running around in a crowded area. You know things police of all people shouldn't be the first responders too.

Where do I start?

To be perfectly frank I don't have all the answers. I'm just some lady who's collected some resources together.

What I did though was I found a Facebook page for my local area and started talking to some people. Then I met them in real life. Another option is to go to protests and just talk to people about what they're doing and how you can help out.

Where can I locate any protest movement or ways to make show support of abolishing the current prison system and reforming our police?

I want to push for the requirement of four years in college to become a cop and to offset a lot of the responsibilities of officers to other train professionals to take care of serious situations: like dealing with a suicidal person, calming down someone who is having a meltdown, or that one meme I see on social media of the naked and greased up person running around in a crowded area. You know things police of all people shouldn't be the first responders too.

Where do I start?
re-training or giving any significant amount of train will still be pointless cause there is not enough control on the police themselves. they are fully aware how much they can get away with due to their own self regulation (Internal Affairs), almost unlimited acting powers on wrong doings (Qualified Immunity), basically non repercussion in case of wrong doings (Department hopping, Settlements paid with Tax).

finding people that will do the right things under those circumtances will be almost impossible, less alone enough people to replace most cops, the quickest way correct current police is give proper consequences to their actions

One cop described the socialization process where you would go to the training and they would teach you the right way, and then you would go to the ride along with a senior cop who would tell you "how it really is" and that cop would inevitably be a cynical scumbag but one who held your career in his hands. Cops just laugh along with the training and go back on the street being racists cynical jerks. The problem is that there is an entrenched culture that is not going to change with more training. That culture dates back to when cops were either slave patrollers in the south or basically gangsters with badges serving as the city elite's private army in the north.

It's really frustrating talking to normies about crime and bail reform. I was talking to some normies on next door who were asserting that criminals from Chicago we're doing most of the crime in their suburb. I was like [citation needed].

The response was just posting individual salacious crime stories. I said that that has nothing to do with whether or not most of the crimes are being done by people from Chicago. Their response was don't you see all these crimes it proves that all the crimes are being done by people from Chicago. I kept pointing out this has nothing to do with any kind of ratio. They would post a statistic that just shows an absolute number but no ratio. Mostly though it was just salacious stories with scowling black mugshots. Nobody actually looks at the numbers or the evidence. They just get scared of the black mugshots and use it to justify hating on Kim Fox

I mean i could say look at Rojava but they too have police like Force. You will always have a % of people who were born with psychopatic tendencies. So you need some sort of order in a minimal Form. I don't know about prisons. It's not fair to put anyone into Prison. It's better to let people rehabilitate but on the other hand, what about people who are a real danger. Like pedophiles who can't controll themselves or as mentioned psychopaths. And OP there are also people who aren't neither commis, neither conservatives, neither libs or whatever. Some people just want a mix of all if it. The life is now black and white but was once when it was healthy full of Grey tones.

Back
Top Bottom